Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you remove an AdBlue system from a car?

• 16-02-2021 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Can you remove an AdBlue System from a car?

Is this possible to do and if so what's the legal consequences?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

tom23 wrote: »

thanks

Why would you do this?

It is linked onto the guts of the car computer.
    It is there to help save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tom23 wrote: »

thanks

Yes, you can. It is complicated and costly. It is not legal and driving a car like that is not only criminal, but also very dangerous.

Don't do it. They are rather faultless. Much more reliable than DPFs, which in the end got very reliable as well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

grogi wrote: »

Don't do it. They are rather faultless.

I would definitely not use the word faultless..I have 5 cars on the go here with adblue issues under warranty.

On one of them we have replaced the entire adblue system and still the van decides to shut down with a full tank of adblue. Manufacturer cant even fix this one.
    The other ones are random adblue DTCs.

Common one seems to P20EE- A fairly vague fault.

Its a disaster of a system and should never have been used by any manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭tom23

Why would you do this?

It is linked onto the guts of the car computer.
    It is there to help save lives.

Well not wanting to do it willingly but been hit with an astronomical bill to replace a broke one in a newish car out of warranty on mileage. I am actually in shock at how much it costs and I simply cant afford to fix it. I cant get my head around why a car manufacturing would design something like this that doesn't even last 4 yers on a car doing lest than 24km a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

A friend of a friend of a friend had it done.

ECU was mapped, took half a day,€600.
    Was told that it wouldn't effect NCT.

Original issue was fault telling ecu that adblue tank was near empty,therfore car will stop in XXXkm, main garage was quoting €3000 to remove adblue tank and replace but with no guarantee that the problem would be rectified.

Don't know about the legalities of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

good one wrote: »

Original issue was fault telling ecu that adblue tank was near empty,therfore car will stop in XXXkm, main garage was quoting €3000 to remove adblue tank and replace but with no guarantee that the problem would be rectified.

What model was it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭tom23

This is what I am facing. Stunned beyond belief on a 4 year car.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭good one

Seat Alhambra, 2012, I think.

Seat Alhambra, 2012, I think.

VAG from 2012 with AdBlue ?! ROTFL...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Hilarious, but some Alhambas had Adblue in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its a nightmare of a system. random shut down where full tank is not registering seems to be a regular thing
    Local quarry removes system from all their trucks before they put them to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Good man.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Good man.

I'm laughing my asre out because cars from that years are affected by emission scandal. Not only VW was cheating, but they also screwed with the AdBlue implementation.

The only issue I commonly see is when amonia crystalizes in cold temperatures, which prevents the system from working. In Ireland we don't get temperatures low enough for it to manifest.

It's a fantastic and very simple system reducing NOx emissions by 99%+...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Op if you're going down this route you'd be near as well off get the dpf and egr removed/blanked too depending on the cost of the whole job and the model of the car.

And you'd need to find out how they'd approach all of this. Blanking things off and hollowing things out is probably the best bet for stealth if that's a consideration however depending on the car this isn't always possible and things might have to be completely removed.

Nothing in the nct at the moment but that's not to say some sort of a visual aspect won't be incorporated in the future.

Whoever was to do this job really needs to know what they're at and have near dealer level software depending on the car.

Getting any of this done isn't illegal. It is however illegal to drive a car with this done on the road. Whether you'd be caught is pretty unlikely and the morality side of things is up to yourself. The cost of things as you say will obviously have a bearing on things too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The only issue I commonly see is when amonia crystalizes in cold temperatures, which prevents the system from working. In Ireland we don't get temperatures low enough for it to manifest.

It's a fantastic and very simple system reducing NOx emissions by 99%+...

So what do you think of random shut downs when the ad blue tank is full, the injector is doing exactly what it should and the car decides "that's it - Im shutting down in 70kms"

Im honestly asking you a genuine question because we cannot fix one of the vans in with me at the minute.

Its had
    1. AdBlue tank replaced.
    2. AdBlue control module replaced
    3.Adblue injector on the exhaust replaced.
    4. Both NOX sensors replaced.
    5. ECU reprogrammed multiple times.
    6. NOX catalyst removed and cleaned.

Vehicle reads what it should as in 2500km to non start.
    We drive it for a couple of days and then it decides to throw on adblue light, engine management light. If we continue to drive it shuts down with an adblue DTC. Usually p20 ee - NoX Catalyst below threshold.

Its absolutely baffling. Manufacturer doesn't seem to have a clue either hence the throwing parts at it and hoping for the best!!

Vehicle is under warranty and has been with us since October.

We even tried to remove the adblue system and get it mapped out as a test but the ecu is too new - euro 6b I think and theres no remapping software available for it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 gtv2002g

Did you replace the adblue tank pump when you replaced the tank it can intermittently fail and will cause a fault code ..especially on 2.2 transits

gtv2002g wrote: »
    Did you replace the adblue tank pump when you replaced the tank it can intermittently fail and will cause a fault code ..especially on 2.2 transits

Yep all comes as one unit.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    So what do you think of random shut downs when the ad blue tank is full, the injector is doing exactly what it should and the car decides "that's it - Im shutting down in 70kms"

Im honestly asking you a genuine question because we cannot fix one of the vans in with me at the minute.

Its had
    1. AdBlue tank replaced.
    2. AdBlue control module replaced
    3.Adblue injector on the exhaust replaced.
    4. Both NOX sensors replaced.
    5. ECU reprogrammed multiple times.
    6. NOX catalyst removed and cleaned.

Vehicle reads what it should as in 2500km to non start.
    We drive it for a couple of days and then it decides to throw on adblue light, engine management light. If we continue to drive it shuts down with an adblue DTC. Usually p20 ee - NoX Catalyst below threshold.

Its absolutely baffling. Manufacturer doesn't seem to have a clue either hence the throwing parts at it and hoping for the best!!

Vehicle is under warranty and has been with us since October.

We even tried to remove the adblue system and get it mapped out as a test but the ecu is too new - euro 6b I think and theres no remapping software available for it yet.

Have you checked the harness that goes to the adblue level sensor?

Yep-replaced aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's a ball of ****e system. Father in law nothing but problems with his 2019 duster.

Did I mention it's a ball of ****e system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If it didn't kill the vehicle or impede it is say it would be fine.

Maybe the manufacturer need to do a few tweaks to have it warn but not take over the car.

Yep-replaced aswell.

Might be an auld faulty engine ECU... From time to time a memory bit flips and it gets crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Story from a mate of a mate who works in a haulage company. An old boy truck driver was doing an overnight run, addblue light comes on on the truck, clueless to what this was as it all new to him he rightly decided call one of the younger drivers, yer man said not to worry, call into a petrol station and get a bottle of addblue, told him it was the blue capped tank beside the main fuel tank. Next petrol station he sees, goes up to the hatch, addblue please, the man behind the glass points over to a pallet and say yell grab it there, transaction completed and the road warrior proceeded back to the truck, upends the bottle into the tank and sets off on his way. Within minutes the dash is lit up and the truck ground to a halt.

The final report was: screenwash present in addblue tank.

There were two pallets on that forecourt, one was addblue in an all white bottle, the other was blue stuff in a clear bottle, middle of the night, possibly an easy mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Google adblue defeat or adblue emulator.

There are devices that plug into the obd port that apparently defeat the adblue system.

I have no idea if they work or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

I would definitely not use the word faultless..I have 5 cars on the go here with adblue issues under warranty.

On one of them we have replaced the entire adblue system and still the van decides to shut down with a full tank of adblue. Manufacturer cant even fix this one.
    The other ones are random adblue DTCs.

Common one seems to P20EE- A fairly vague fault.

Its a disaster of a system and should never have been used by any manufacturer.

Apparently the main reason this system fails is down to a very simple error. The engineer who designed the process decided that it should operate with each fill up of fuel. As in filling that tank from empty to full. Most people might pop in €20 of fuel. The system thinks it has been filled to max and operates as such. Then another €20 of fuel goes in and again the system thinks its been filled to the brim again. Commercial vehicles with the same system don't suffer as much as the driver will fill the tank each time it empties. Obviously there are exceptions. It was a French engineer who told me this many years ago. It was worse for French cars as they linked the system with the actual fuel filler flap as in each time you opened it to refuel your car it considered it full regardless of the quantity of fuel put in. How true this is I can't really say but diesel went from being the most reliable engines around to some of the worst. I just got shut of a 2.2d Mazda 6 due to issues with the engine. A complete pile of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Dirty Nails

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Apparently the main reason this system fails is down to a very simple error. The engineer who designed the process decided that it should operate with each fill up of fuel. As in filling that tank from empty to full. Most people might pop in €20 of fuel. The system thinks it has been filled to max and operates as such. Then another €20 of fuel goes in and again the system thinks its been filled to the brim again. Commercial vehicles with the same system don't suffer as much as the driver will fill the tank each time it empties. Obviously there are exceptions. It was a French engineer who told me this many years ago. It was worse for French cars as they linked the system with the actual fuel filler flap as in each time you opened it to refuel your car it considered it full regardless of the quantity of fuel put in. How true this is I can't really say but diesel went from being the most reliable engines around to some of the worst. I just got shut of a 2.2d Mazda 6 due to issues with the engine. A complete pile of ****e.

Are you confusing the Eolys system with AdBlue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My 4 year old Passat has adblue system. 180,000km and no issues with it whatsoever. I don’t mind doing my bit for the environment.

I always let the tank go low before i fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My 4 year old Passat has adblue system. 180,000km and no issues with it whatsoever. I don’t mind doing my bit for the environment.

I always let the tank go low before i fill it.

That's fair mileage in 4 years. How many km are you getting from a tank of Adblue? I'm getting around 10,000 km in the superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

CoBo55 wrote: »
    That's fair mileage in 4 years. How many km are you getting from a tank of Adblue? I'm getting around 10,000 km in the superb.

If i put in exactly the amount it says as maximum litres the dash reads 8500kms. It might depend on the engine the consumption. I have the 240bhp version ( remapped 290bhp)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If i put in exactly the amount it says as maximum litres the dash reads 8500kms. It might depend on the engine the consumption. I have the 240bhp version ( remapped 290bhp)

Mines the 150bhp, like yourself I put in exactly what the display tells me is required it shows 10,000kms.

Advertisement