Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Augme wrote: »
    Lol, he's been quite the opposite on the tennis court. His behaviour previously had been fairly shocking and I really did have a strong dislike for him. To his credit he has improved a lot lately recently and has matured and grown up. Fingers crossed he remains that way.

Yeah i know he has a reputation though stuff happening on court doesnt bother me so much. Apart from being sh!tty to a ball boy once, a definite no no, i dont remember anything too shocking. Anyway, like i said, i thought he's been coming across really well past couple of weeks so i'm happy to root for him on that basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,158 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Medvedev basically telling the Flushing Meadows crowd to go fúck themselves in 2019 only made me like him more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Medvedev basically telling the Flushing Meadows crowd to go fúck themselves in 2019 only made me like him more.

Yeah, he spent the fortnight winding them up, it was great :pac:

I've seen comments about his game being kind of boring and a bit of a slog to watch, but I think he can be very interesting. Nice bit of touch and variety, and that match against Nadal in flushing meadows was unbelievable.

Glad personally that Djokovic made the final.

Would really stick it to the bolshy Aussies if he wins it again.

After his bad luck in 2020 - US Open was his, would have taken Wimbledon also I think that it's fair enough, notwithstanding the ill-advised and silly tournament thing he held.

Not sure where he currently lies on vaccines - said that he's not against all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The Terminator in 3 ....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Looks like Tsitsipas has Medvedev exactly where he wants him....

Medved takes him in 3 in some form

Should be an interesting final

Medved has been very competitive against Djokovic

coming across very well and upfront in the interview

no bs answers

on a run of 20 wins with 11 top 10 wins - good run that he's on.

crowd will be on Medved's side for sure

I think we will see Djokovic finally beaten in the AO final

• Advertisement

Loving his interviews on court and on Eurosport .. funny genuine lad ! :D

Tennis needs him ..

somewhat disappointing from Tsitsipas but he was well outmatched.

I had thought that there wasn't a clear favorite amongst the younger guys and that in due course a few of them would end up with a couple of slams each.....but with Thiem looking less than dependable from slam to slam, Medvedev really might dominate for several years. His game is very dependable and his mentality looks rock solid. He could boss these guys (Zverev, Tsitsipas, et al) around for 7-8 years and get to double digit slams.

With Medved I just wonder if he has the killer instinct / hunger that Djokovic and Nadal have to win lots of slams and he has gone through up and down periods of form

anyways - first up is the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,151 ✭✭✭✭josip

glasso wrote: »
    coming across very well and upfront in the interview

no bs answers

on a run of 20 wins with 11 top 10 wins - good run that he's on.

crowd will be on Medved's side for sure

I think Djokovic will still have a lot of support from the partisan (pun intended) Serb expats. The neutrals will definitely favour Medvedev.

I think we will see Djokovic finally beaten in the AO final

Agreed.

Beating Djokovic in an Aus final is currently the second hardest thing to do in tennis, but Medvedev is the more likely of todays two to do it I think. He has already been in a slam final, and has built up a useful record of beating good players in the past few months and has been pretty good here also.
    I didn't see todays semi but, until it actually happens, it's hard for me to see Djokovic beaten on Sunday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I don't know where Medvedev got that backhand today, but hopefully it works on Sunday. He got unusual power into them today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭Augme

Comfortable enough win for Medvedev. Have to say the final is set up to be a fascinated by battle. As the odds indicate it is very evenly matched.

I'd be leaning towards novak given his experience on the big stage. If I was him I'd have definitely taken note of how Medvedev seemed to lose concentration when he became frustrated with Tsitsipas delaying tactics in the third. If Novak is behind and struggling he will try every truck in the book to throw him off.

Augme wrote: »
    Comfortable enough win for Medvedev. Have to say the final is set up to be a fascinated by battle. As the odds indicate it is very evenly matched.

I'd be leaning towards novak given his experience on the big stage. If I was him I'd have definitely taken note of how Medvedev seemed to lose concentration when he became frustrated with Tsitsipas delaying tactics in the third. If Novak is behind and struggling he will try every truck in the book to throw him off.

Medvedev and Tsitsipas don't like each other.

Hoping and praying for Medvedev on Sunday but I think I'll end up disappointed again. Looking at the h2h and Medvedev's current winning streak it's easy to think it might be a competitive match, but I fear it'll be a routine 3 set win for Djokovic. Obviously I hope I'm wrong. As others have alluded to I expect there'll be antics from Djokovic if Medvedev is playing well.

Osaka-Brady should be relatively straightforward but you never know. Above all else I hope it's a good match. H2h is 2-1 to Osaka, Brady's win being on clay back in 2014, but at the very least she took Osaka to three sets a few months back at the US Open. Brady's accomplishment is all the more impressive given she was one of those stuck in the 14 day hotel room quarantine.

josip wrote: »
    Medvedev and Tsitsipas don't like each other.

Indeed not :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Medvedev looked good today, but, there's a huge step up between playing Tsitsipas in a semi final and playing Djokovic in a slam final. Also trying to get over the line to win your first slam is extremely difficult regardless who the opponent is, the fact it's against Djokovic, makes it doubly hard, who only needs to sense a moment of weakness to completely turn a match around. One things for certain if Medvedev does win he'll be made to earn it, on the other had Djokovic could well win it in 3. At some point Medvedev and his generation need to make the next step and beat Djokovic, Nadal or even Federer (although don't think we'll see him in a Slam final again), hopefully it starts on Sunday, but, I won't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

Competitive first set, perhaps more so than expected. Wouldn't be surprised to see Osaka run away with it now.

Pity the way it ended, wasnt much between them on the balance of it. Brady hitting more clean winners I'd say, but having to push the boat out a bit too much and so lot of errors too.

So something of an inevitable result there. Osaka now the third active singles player with four grand slams, or fourth if we're gonna include Clijsters.

Really want to see Osaka push on and get better on clay and grass now. Also to stop withdrawing/avoiding tournaments, this 'winning streak' won't go on forever!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Comfortable from Osaka, didn't get out of 3rd gear. Played solid and let Brady make all the mistakes.

Brady definitely left a few points out there.

Osaka class though.

Mad Osaka was so close to going out, saved two match points against Muguruza in the fourth round. Osaka now the fourth woman in eight years to win the Australian Open after being match points down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

The BLM bull****, step away from that and concentrate on your tennis.

So something of an inevitable result there. Osaka now the third active singles player with four grand slams, or fourth if we're gonna include Clijsters.

Really want to see Osaka push on and get better on clay and grass now. Also to stop withdrawing/avoiding tournaments, this 'winning streak' won't go on forever!

Yeah, thats it. Dont think grass should be a big issue anyway. She's only played one french and wimbledon since her breakthrough slam win in 2018 so it's not as if there's an obvious problem there yet. If she gets a more consistent first serve, thats going to be a formidable weapon. You'd have to think she can still improve everything another 5-10%.

Yeah, thats it. Dont think grass should be a big issue anyway. She's only played one french and wimbledon since her breakthrough slam win in 2018 so it's not as if there's an obvious problem there yet. If she gets a more consistent first serve, thats going to be a formidable weapon. You'd have to think she can still improve everything another 5-10%.

Yeah, her relatively poor Wimbledon record in somewhat deceiving. She's played it three times and has lost to Venus, Kerber and Putintseva, so Putintseva being the only obvious flop. And obviously with the cancellation last year she never got a chance to right the ship. I expect this year she'll be a big contender.

He posts after she wins her fourth grand slam title :pac:

• Advertisement

Osaka is lethal. Even when she's not at her best, she's good enough to punish high class opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its all part of the marketing scheme and maximising revenue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Looks over already, the amount of mistakes from Medvedev is shocking

Edit;good bounce back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What is with the crowds at the aussie open wanting to shout through a point.

Floppybits wrote: »
    What is with the crowds at the aussie open wanting to shout through a point.

its more like a US open crowd at present.

bit of a meltdown by Medvedev at the moment, he needs to get into the zone between overly passive and overly aggressive pretty quickly.

Djokovic playing well

i've only just deciphered the logo around the courts as saying 'KIA'..better late than never

Djokovic still the master of Melbourne

At the elite level it's the top 6 inches is what separates some players from each other

Djokovic is a mental beast

Medvedev looks like he has mentally thrown in the towel here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Very disappointing, I should have stayed in bed! Expected more from Medvedev, Djokovic is not even playing to his very best here but still more than good enough

So is the Djokovic injury all good now or...?

So is the Djokovic injury all good now or...?

ah shut up.

guy's a winner.

he was two sets up on Fritz

why would he "fake an injury" to let Fritz draw level at 2 sets all.

makes absolute no sense.

horsesh1t

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Djokovic destroyed Medvedev both mentally and physically. Very disappointing was hoping Medvedev would push Djokovic all the way.

Bravo, broj 18.
    Seeing the "da komšiji crkne krava" on here from some makes it even better.

Djokovic could conceivably equal Federer this year but I'd guess it'll be next year. Probably the Australian Open 2022. At the end of the year it'll probably be Nadal 21, Federer 20, Djokovic 19 and *maybe* Thiem on.. 2 :D

Plenty of learnings for Medvedev to take away as they say, he will win a slam before too long but he was poor and well out played for most of that. One of the more straightforward slam wins for Djokovic, one thing i didn't think would happen was that Medvedev would loose the head, but he did.

Maybe Djokovic will pull a muscle lifting the trophy or somehting to offer some on here a bit of cold comfort.

Except for a moment of distraction hitting the drama-Karen-bag in New York and Wimbledon being canned Djokovic would be on 20 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Djokovic could conceivably equal Federer this year but I'd guess it'll be next year. Probably the Australian Open 2022. At the end of the year it'll probably be Nadal 21, Federer 20, Djokovic 19 and *maybe* Thiem on.. 2 :D

Remember when the brits used to include Andy Murray in a "Big 4"....

Hillarious....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Except for a moment of distraction hitting the drama-Karen-bag in New York and Wimbledon being canned Djokovic would be on 20 now.

If, if, if doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Djokovic will comfortably surpass nadal and fed

If, if, if doesn't exist.

which means the fed-tards will even be more bitter when Djokovic cruises past 20

which means the fed-tards will even be more bitter when Djokovic cruises past 20

seriously lads, can we keep above the sub-reddit levels of debate?

• Advertisement
Advertisement