Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fontaines DC - Lyric repetition

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Joffrey

Haha cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think I heard them say in an interview they enjoyed poetry with repetition or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Joffrey wrote: »
    Haha cheers

I enjoyed your video but art doesn’t need to be complex. I’m not saying you think it it needs to be, just making the point. At least the write about what they know. The media hype up bands, not the bands themselves. I haven’t listened to the first album but I was actually impressed by the instrumentation of the second record. A long time musician friend said to me ‘it’s a good record but nothing any of us couldn’t do’. Ye wha??

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

They are getting covered as working class, you don't go to BIMM if you are working class. The singer was born in England, does an over the top to the point of a piss take Dublin accent and not called on it. The music's incredibly easy to write, here is my take on it

No working class go to BIMM? He was born in England, but he grew up here didn't he? So it's very possible he'd have "a" Dublin accent, not necessarily the one he is using to sing. Saw an interview with him recently at his house, and he sounds Irish.
    The music's incredibly easy to write? So was Oasis' music, but they managed to write songs that were hits. (and I'm not a fan).
    My reply would be if it's so easy, where is your album?
    Funny vid by the way. I wouldn't be a fan of these lads or the Murder Capital etc, but best of luck to them. It's a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Granadino wrote: »

This is one I guess: https://strangerswithguns.bandcamp.com/album/degenerate-art

Sounds good so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    This is one I guess: https://strangerswithguns.bandcamp.com/album/degenerate-art

Sounds good so far!

haha, Touché. Thanks for the link. Sounds like a cross between Soundgarden and Corrosion of Conformity. But some other lad could say your riffs are easy to write too. There's always some bollix out there :pac:
    I'd take Stranger With Guns over The Fontaines DC :)
    How did you get that big guitar sound? Plugins? Room recording?

Granadino wrote: »
    No working class go to BIMM? He was born in England, but he grew up here didn't he? So it's very possible he'd have "a" Dublin accent, not necessarily the one he is using to sing. Saw an interview with him recently at his house, and he sounds Irish.
    The music's incredibly easy to write? So was Oasis' music, but they managed to write songs that were hits. (and I'm not a fan).
    Funny vid by the way. I wouldn't be a fan of these lads or the Murder Capital etc, but best of luck to them. It's a tough game.

Here is my album haha

https://open.spotify.com/album/1fgfzH5tXDlvWYaBUQgrJj?si=CE2io2_zS1-xNyLBAyp5fw

I do think its music anyone could do, there is definitely not impressive musicianship on their stuff. There isnt on my stuff either, but just want to address that point.

I feel anyone could do their music, it is very very formulaic. But it is selling out.

I dont think working class people can afford the 6 grand a year im told BIMM is. I know if I had of asked for it to go to play guitar for 3yrs..... not a hope, luxury afforded to peoples families who have money I think. Im sure their are exceptions

Oh only seen the other messages after I responded to that.

Ah they guy in Blanchardstown Michael Richards who records the stuff. Although I had to rebook to change the guitar sound.

Cheers for checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Here is my album haha

https://open.spotify.com/album/1fgfzH5tXDlvWYaBUQgrJj?si=CE2io2_zS1-xNyLBAyp5fw

I do think its music anyone could do, there is definitely not impressive musicianship on their stuff. There isnt on my stuff either, but just want to address that point.

I feel anyone could do their music, it is very very formulaic. But it is selling out.

I dont think working class people can afford the 6 grand a year im told BIMM is. I know if I had of asked for it to go to play guitar for 3yrs..... not a hope, luxury afforded to peoples families who have money I think. Im sure their are exceptions

big difference between kurt cobain and ynwei malmsteen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

What is their actual polemic?

Is it breaking out of a middle class suburban nightmare? Is it a pining for the rare oul times where they can sit around with Patrick Kavanagh and Brendan Behan drinking pints and lamenting the futility of it all? I just don't know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Is it breaking out of a middle class suburban nightmare? Is it a pining for the rare oul times where they can sit around with Patrick Kavanagh and Brendan Behan drinking pints and lamenting the futility of it all? I just don't know

listen to the ****ing thing if you like it you like it

bleeding polemic....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

listen to the ****ing thing if you like it you like it

bleeding polemic....

Nope

All the greats, to a man, have a polemic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Nope

All the greats, to a man, have a polemic

No, they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

And the winner for one of the most conceited, arrogant, obnoxious and superior posts of all time goes to.....

Ah, I dunno, it gave me a good chuckle :cool:n wouldn't disagree with most of it either, but then I'm a music snob :p.

I'm also old enough to have been around for some of the great bands, from the laten70's onwards. Maybe it's my age, but I haven't heard a band from the new generation who could hold a candle to the bands I listened to, and still do. Squeeze, The Jam, Buzzcocks, the Blades, Elvis Costello, XTC, Undertones, The Smiths, Prefab Sprout, Lloyd Cole, R.E.M., Stars of Heaven, The Chills, Teenage Fanclub, Trashcan Sinatras, Crowded House.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

there are no suburbs in mayo - its about the famine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Live chat and session from 6 with Lamo on 6 music if anyone's interested....;)

The Oscar nomination.. their manager has done the equivalent of taking a non league team to the champions league final

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A lot of artists repeat lyrics in order to hammer home a point or a message.

Think you're being too kind to a lot of acts.

I think songs repeat the lyrics to make the song last 3min 30sec instead of 1min 30sec.

Lyric repetition can work used sparingly, it is quite lazy most of the time or lack of imagination. Or playing it safe.

The most popular music of the moment seems to be milking it for all its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Without sounding like I'm repeating what others have already posted.

You should check out Caribou - Sun.

Such interesting lyrics.

• Advertisement

https://youtu.be/u4EmDiEF2cg

cant seem to embed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

https://youtu.be/u4EmDiEF2cg

cant seem to embed

Obsessed comes to mind