Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edgar wright’s The running man

• 20-02-2021 7:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭

Edgar Wright Directing New ‘The Running Man’ Movie Based on the Stephen King Novel
    Posted on Friday, February 19th, 2021 by Chris Evangelista

The Running Man, Stephen King‘s dystopian novel that was very loosely adapted into an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie in the ’80s, is getting a new adaptation from none other than Edgar Wright.

Wright’s adaptation will stick more closely to King’s book, which was set in a world where people risked their lives on a deadly game show to earn a billion-dollar jackpot. Wright is tackling the story adaptation for the film with Michael Bacall, and Bacall will write the script.

Deadline broke the news that a new Running Man movie is on the way from Edgar Wright. You no doubt know the title – it was turned into a goofy-but-entertaining 1987 action movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Richard Dawson. However, that film was an incredibly loose adaptation of its source material – a book written by Stephen King under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. Here’s the book’s synopsis:

Freestar
    A desperate man attempts to win a reality TV game where the only objective is to stay alive in this #1 national bestseller from Stephen King, writing as Richard Bachman.

It was the ultimate death game in a nightmare future America. The year is 2025 and reality TV has grown to the point where people are willing to wager their lives for a chance at a billion-dollar jackpot. Ben Richards is desperate—he needs money to treat his daughter’s illness. His last chance is entering a game show called The Running Man where the goal is to avoid capture by Hunters who are employed to kill him. Surviving this month-long chase is another issue when everyone else on the planet is watching—and willing to turn him in for the reward.

Each night all Americans tune in to watch. So far, the record for survival is only eight days. Can Ben Richards beat the brutal odds, beat the rigged game, beat the entire savage system? He’s betting his life that he can…
    https://www.slashfilm.com/the-running-man-movie/

I love the original movie but this sounds good , needs a good leading man ……

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭tigger123

peteeeed wrote: »
    Edgar Wright Directing New ‘The Running Man’ Movie Based on the Stephen King Novel
    Posted on Friday, February 19th, 2021 by Chris Evangelista

The Running Man, Stephen King‘s dystopian novel that was very loosely adapted into an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie in the ’80s, is getting a new adaptation from none other than Edgar Wright.

Wright’s adaptation will stick more closely to King’s book, which was set in a world where people risked their lives on a deadly game show to earn a billion-dollar jackpot. Wright is tackling the story adaptation for the film with Michael Bacall, and Bacall will write the script.

Deadline broke the news that a new Running Man movie is on the way from Edgar Wright. You no doubt know the title – it was turned into a goofy-but-entertaining 1987 action movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Richard Dawson. However, that film was an incredibly loose adaptation of its source material – a book written by Stephen King under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. Here’s the book’s synopsis:

Freestar
    A desperate man attempts to win a reality TV game where the only objective is to stay alive in this #1 national bestseller from Stephen King, writing as Richard Bachman.

It was the ultimate death game in a nightmare future America. The year is 2025 and reality TV has grown to the point where people are willing to wager their lives for a chance at a billion-dollar jackpot. Ben Richards is desperate—he needs money to treat his daughter’s illness. His last chance is entering a game show called The Running Man where the goal is to avoid capture by Hunters who are employed to kill him. Surviving this month-long chase is another issue when everyone else on the planet is watching—and willing to turn him in for the reward.

Each night all Americans tune in to watch. So far, the record for survival is only eight days. Can Ben Richards beat the brutal odds, beat the rigged game, beat the entire savage system? He’s betting his life that he can…
    https://www.slashfilm.com/the-running-man-movie/

That does sound pretty good tbh. I was all set to be cynical about another pointless reboot, but it sounds like its going to be quite different.

The original film is excellent, and really stands up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

tigger123 wrote: »
    That does sound pretty good tbh. I was all set to be cynical about another pointless reboot, but it sounds like its going to be quite different.

The original film is excellent, and really stands up.

will be very interesting to see who he casts , one of the things his films have had is really good ensembles

• Registered Users Posts: 9,347 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

This feels like the type project that supports my opinion that there is nothing inherently wrong with the concept of a remake or reboot, even a movie you have a fondness for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

S.M.B. wrote: »
    This feels like the type project that supports my opinion that there is nothing inherently wrong with the concept of a remake or reboot, even a movie you have a fondness for.

i need this to restore my faith , my favourite horror is the whicker man and i finally watched the nic cage remake this week , i wish i hadn't

The original movie was surely one of the most "B-movies" that Arnie appeared in having become fairly established as a star.

Haven't watched it recently.

Someone above says it stands up - can only imagine that could be partly true due to the limited sets not making it age even worse. It looked cheap in the mid to late 80's.

As said in OP the film was not true to the book as in the book the runners could go anywhere in the world - not just stuck in a game-show set which was obviously due to budget constraints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The first one is terrible, not terrible good like Commando, just facking terrible, a new adaptation is intriguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hopefully we get a trailer soon of Wright's currently in post-production movie, Last Night in Soho; think it's another CoVid delayed feature.

As to Running Man, why not? I know the Arnie film has its fans but IMO it's lesser Arnie and it hasn't aged well in places, between it's nonexistent budget and an attempted rape scene IIRC. Schwarzenegger made much better films around that period.

Wright seems like a good fit for something that would need a bit of style and energy. It tips the hat that this won't just be a flat, cookie cutter ramake ala Total Recall (to compare another Arnie film remade). Mind you, that's assuming Wright stays onboard, we all know how Ant Man turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,696 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the original is one of only peak-Arnie films I haven't seen - I'm hearing mixed reports about whether it's worth watching, anyone want to persuade me :)

the premise of the book sounds very like the Hunger Games (I know they were written later).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I read the Bachman Books, feck, must be 30 years ago now. Very rough around the edges, but I remember being surprised at how little the movie took from the book, and how poor the adaptation was for that. So I'm definitely interested in this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

loyatemu wrote: »
    the original is one of only peak-Arnie films I haven't seen - I'm hearing mixed reports about whether it's worth watching, anyone want to persuade me :)

the premise of the book sounds very like the Hunger Games (I know they were written later).

For comparison, it came out the same year as Predator, 1987. So after Terminator, Red Heat or Commando. But it feels older than those, with a really cheap, almost cardboard look to it. Which half the sets probably were. The actual gladiatorial fights haven't aged well at all IMO, Arnie being chased by dune buggies covered in Christmas lights. It's R Rated IIRC, so at least has some bite to it, even if that includes the aforementioned (attempted) rape. But in general I'd say it's not good, not compared to other Arnie vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

RIOT if it doesn't have the Christmas tree line:

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

will be very interesting to see who he casts , one of the things his films have had is really good ensembles

I think Michael Fassbender would be good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting concept. I have fondness of the Arnie version. Great movie.

Feel like playing Smash T.V. now :p

Totally.
    Need someone around 40-47ish. Old enough to be a father but someone who carries the presence of being able to kick ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,266 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Simon Pegg chasing down Nick Frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Simon Pegg chasing down Nick Frost.

Beat me to it :pac:
    Was going to suggest we'll be seeing a ripped Simon Pegg in GQ or Mens Fitness a la Kumail Nanjiani after the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

"Killian! I'll be back!"

"Only in a rerunboot."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

To be honest, I have a lot of fondness for the original. A fun action movie with a pretty obvious commentary on America's TV nation and propaganda and a great score. It's pretty tight all round if suffering from a bit of 80's cheese.

The book, on the other hand, I could not get through. My primary recollection is it was a bit boring. The idea of entering the gameshow for his sick daughter also sounds like the kind of thing a Hollywood producer would suggest. That's not to say it couldn't be good; my overall impression is that it will end up feeling a bit like The Fugitive. Innocent man on the run seeking safe harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Music should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,292 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

read an article lately about the guy that played the slimy show host Richard Dawson who was a real life game show host who was really a slime ball behind the smile

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    read an article lately about the guy that played the slimy show host Richard Dawson who was a real life game show host who was really a slime ball behind the smile

Playing himself so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,488 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The original was very enjoyable in a corny kind of way.

Lots of good one liners, plenty of satire and plenty of testosterone with Arnie and Jesse Ventura.
    Soundtrack was excellent too.

It was well ahead of its time, offering a tantalising prediction of the reality television epidemic of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,266 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It showed what reality TV could become long before reality TV even existed.

I could imagine a North Korean version of this actually happening now for Kim Jong-un amusement.

Advertisement