Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Fool advice

• 08-02-2021 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Hello All.
    Have been reading these threads for years ,especially in last twelve months,
    since I discovered Degiro'
    I noted a few people mentioning Motley Fool and other stock advisors.
    There has historicaly been a snooty attitude to such advisors on here , with snooty remarks like DYOR.

Following reading several posters referring to Motley Fool, I am starting this thread.

Some months ago, flush with profits on BIRG, i decided to invest 8 k euro on MF tips.

One of their advisors recommended the following

Axxon
    Blackline
    Datadog
    Fastly
    Zendesk

So i put around 1k on each of them, say threemonths ago.

For a long time only Axxon went up , my weekly tot up showed losses of 220 , changing weekly by a biy , -150,-100,-80 then in around Bidens arrival, +400,+450.........last few days over 1k profit, as I type +1125

I think some of these gains are due to dollar/euro exchange rates.

Have thought of flogging these, giving me 20 % gain over 3 months.
    Motley Fool recommend holding for 3 to 5 years but I like the idea of banking profits.

Am thinking of selling as I think a fair sized pullback is due. However all I read re the USA stock market is that Bidens imminent cash injection can only result in stock gains for most of this year.

Thoughts anyone.

P.S I put 3k into NVIDIA around the same time, it has only just broken even for me, but its still on the Fools hot tip list

Comments

Did you pay for their tips or just get them off Twitter or forums etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Did you pay for their tips or just get them off Twitter or forums etc?

I became a paying member, by accident( yes I may be a bit mad)

its 250 p.a. I have money to invest so I may put more in.

My way of looking at it was, on their advice, invest 5 k, double it over 5 years, gain 5 k, pay tax

Then thinking of quadrupling this investment in other FOOL tips

Not sure if I can ofset their annual fee against CGT

Regards

Your question required a yes or no reply, you got a ramble!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I think its similar tipping structure to My wall st?

The problem is if you don't match what they release at the time within a certain time frame you'll more than not always be behind. I could go into my wallst now and pick some older stocks and go with them but I could have already missed out on 100-500% growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

The other issue I have with these tipping sites is they always have an article for every stock written by someone in the past that tipped it and now that certain stock that is now 10X, 100X etc. They don't list the ones that bombed out

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Theman343

Get shares in MTC thank me in a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Theman343 wrote: »

Mothercare?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 CAstudent

cronos wrote: »
    Mothercare?

Mmtec maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

CAstudent wrote: »
    Mmtec maybe.

Metacoin -mtc1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Threw a few bob towards this. Up 12% today. What's the story here?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Theman343

Mtc (mmtec)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

I have read some Motley Fool commentary from googling particular stocks, both prospects and existing positions.

I don’t know why but the end of the commentary annoys me - “x and y have been investing for years and beating the market. They have compiled a list of their top 10 stocks, and guess what...[articled stock] was not one of them!” Sign up etc.

I also read an article on Nasdaq.com and it was Motley Fool content, which surprised me that partisan/sponsored content could be featured by Nasdaq.

I signed up to MyWallSt. haven’t used it too much but overall seems a useful resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I agree with LC234, about every public article ending with the two lads having more wonderful places to put your money. It actually looks dreadful, but presumably draws in subscribers.

I regularly see their public articles linked to the yahoo finance site, too.

While I find the fools public content useful, when trying to get a quick overview of a company, I also find that they push certain stocks for years on end, even when there's no real evidence to support them. Take LBG for example - the market hasnt liked that bank share for years, and yet, the fool keep pushing it, at every given opportunity. Its almost like they've a private agenda to try and talk the share price up.

While I will continue to read their free articles, from time to time, there's no way on hell that I would pay a subscription to them, given issues mentioned above.

Just imagine if I could get, say, 10,000 people to each pay me €200 pa for stock tips. I begin by pocketing €2m. Then, I buy ten shares that I like, with that money, and over the course of the following months, I push the ten shares with all my subscribers. Even if only some of my subscribers buy the various shares, it helps increase demand, while odds are, my subscribers will also tell some other people about my recommended shares, either in person, on online etc. Ultimately, it all helps the share price go up, and guess what, a year later my subscribers think I've given them some decent tips, so they pay me another €200 each, and we repeat the process.

If you want to spend some money, why not buy a couple of books on investing, learn more about investment techniques, and then enjoy picking your own stocks - having learnt more about how to analysise them etc? Maybe then focus on a few industry sectors, continue to research them, build up further expertise etc.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd agree, lots of free resources out there, twitter, reddit, seeking alpha, stocktwits, boards.ie to name but a few. Learn to drown out the noise and bull****ters and there is some real value out there.
    I follow Hendrik Alex on Seeking Alpha for example, he recommended PERI a couple of weeks ago, I bought it on the back of his"Buy with both hands" article and its up over 70% since.
    I also followed a few on twitter and stocktwits that share recommendations and acted when I feel its a good fit and been nicely rewarded. Really dont feel the need for a subscription to anywhere.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I'd agree, lots of free resources out there, twitter, reddit, seeking alpha, stocktwits, boards.ie to name but a few. Learn to drown out the noise and bull****ters and there is some real value out there.
    I follow Hendrik Alex on Seeking Alpha for example, he recommended PERI a couple of weeks ago, I bought it on the back of his"Buy with both hands" article and its up over 70% since.
    I also followed a few on twitter and stocktwits that share recommendations and acted when I feel its a good fit and been nicely rewarded. Really dont feel the need for a subscription to anywhere.
    Would you have any names on twitter or stocktwits that you would recommend?

Mtc (mmtec)

Up 32% today at the moment.

You said to thank you in a year, do you think the value is baked in now or is there more growth here. I only have a small amount in it but I'm enjoying the run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Bacchus wrote: »
    Up 32% today at the moment.

You said to thank you in a year, do you think the value is baked in now or is there more growth here. I only have a small amount in it but I'm enjoying the run :)

I also bought a small position in this; flying today!

Pulling back a bit now. Probably plenty cashed in when it hit $4.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

It hit over $6 in the summer. Given the complete punt that this stock is, if it's fun money, let it ride. If there's decent gains to be had, enjoy them (like those who cashed out at $4 likely did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

rugbyman wrote: »
    I became a paying member, by accident( yes I may be a bit mad)

its 250 p.a. I have money to invest so I may put more in.

My way of looking at it was, on their advice, invest 5 k, double it over 5 years, gain 5 k, pay tax

Then thinking of quadrupling this investment in other FOOL tips

Not sure if I can ofset their annual fee against CGT

Regards

Your question required a yes or no reply, you got a ramble!

Advice if you are renewing next year. Turn off auto renew and google their stock advisor and rule breaker for $99.

You should get a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I’ve found MF excellent. I bought SHOP, SQ, SE, PINS etc etc. My portfolio is up 328% since April 19’

• Advertisement

Mtc up 41% at the moment for today. No idea what's driving these gains (which is a bit concerning in a market of memestock these days -though I see no chatter about it)

Put a stop loss in at $4.70 when it breached $5... don't think it was triggered so I'm still in it. It's back to around $5 now after a high of $5.94.

Put a stop loss in at $4.70 when it breached $5... don't think it was triggered so I'm still in it. It's back to around $5 now after a high of $5.94.

Down 4% in the post market, though it's been up and down in the post/pre markets the last couple of days. Started today down a few %.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

The above was posted when MTC were $2.60, on it's way to the moon pre-market (might be back down to earth by market open), you're TheMan

SEC rule 201 has been triggered and stays in force until the early hours of tomorrow, short sale restriction in accordance with related exchanges policies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Wow should have bought that MTC for sure. Where did you manage to pull that from?

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    The above was posted when MTC were $2.60, on it's way to the moon pre-market (might be back down to earth by market open), you're TheMan

SEC rule 201 has been triggered and stays in force until the early hours of tomorrow, short sale restriction in accordance with related exchanges policies

No might about it. Was up 83% in the pres about an hour ago. 56% now. 3 hours to go until open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

No might about it. Was up 83% in the pres about an hour ago. 56% now. 3 hours to go until open

Had an order to sell some at $7.50, went to $7.33 before the tumble started, darn!!

My stop loss order was triggered at 4.70 the other day and I bought back in at 4. Happy to see it up again. Definitely a pattern of high volatility. Doesn't help on Degiro that they are 15 minutes behind.

My stop loss order was triggered at 4.70 the other day and I bought back in at 4. Happy to see it up again. Definitely a pattern of high volatility. Doesn't help on Degiro that they are 15 minutes behind.

Yahoo finance is very handy
    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/MTC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

I find a good rule of thumb with Motley Fool advice is to basically ignore anything that isn't coming from either David or Tom Gardner.

They showcase the success of their stock advisor product which is stock tips from those two lads, so by all means pay attention to those tips if you have access to them as that is the service which they charge money for.

The random free articles on their website - I'd just ignore them. That's not to say that those articles aren't good from time to time, but they hide behind this "motley" notion that they all have different views.

So, drown out the noise and pay greatest attention to David and Tom.

Advertisement