Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Has anybody got any good links / podcasts to use to research for emerging markets?

Most of my stocks are in the US and a few in Europe. I'd like to see what I'm missing in the other markets, or at least get some decent sites to start off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,075 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Robson99 wrote: »
    Have €500 to €1000 to invest / save monthly.
    Don't really have time or knowledge to be watching daily for investing so was thinking of setting an investment PIE on T212 with the following investment trusts

Monks Inv Trust 50% ( good mix)
    Scottish MT 15% (riskier than Allianz)
    Allianz Tech 15% ( safer than all in SMT)
    Pacific Horizon 15% ( best Asian one I can put in )
    Hipgnosis Songs 5% ( an alternative kicker )

Long term goal is to save for 8 - 10 years and see then.
    Any opinions on above appreciated.

I like hipgnosis as an option, they have recently bought a heap of back catalogues (bob dylan, neil young) and barely moved the needle on the SP. Opened a position myself at 120p.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Don't really have time or knowledge to be watching daily for investing so was thinking of setting an investment PIE on T212 with the following investment trusts

I'm looking at investment trusts too. Pacific Horizon currently has a very high premium (14.4%). Hopefully this will drop in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I personally wouldn’t combine Scottish Mortgage and Pacific Horizon, unless you are clearly aware and happy with their correlations.

Both are managed by the same investment firm and share the same investment strategy (obviously besides the geographical restriction for Pacific Horizon which could be considered an Asia-only Scottish Mortgage). I.e. they are likely to have overlaps and to be quite correlated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bob24 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn’t combine Scottish Mortgage and Pacific Horizon, unless you are clearly aware and happy with their correlations.

Both are managed by the same investment firm and share the same investment strategy (obviously besides the geographical restriction for Pacific Horizon which could be considered an Asia-only Scottish Mortgage). I.e. they are likely to have overlaps and to be quite correlated.
    Thanks Bob.
    I thought there were some overlaps all right but was kinda working of the fact that SMT + Pac H would still only be 30% of the total. Maybe that's a bit risky. Would you recommend anything in like of Pac H ? Or maybe i should drop it and increase SMT and Allianz

• Advertisement

Thanks Bob.
    I thought there were some overlaps all right but was kinda working of the fact that SMT + Pac H would still only be 30% of the total. Maybe that's a bit risky. Would you recommend anything in like of Pac H ? Or maybe i should drop it and increase SMT and Allianz
    Read this, free on kindle https://www.amazon.co.uk/Investment-Trusts-Handbook-2021-essentials-ebook/dp/B08HM524XG/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1613560776&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Thanks Bob.

If you are happy with Baillie Gifford and their investment framework to handle that chunk of your portfolio, I wouldn't actually discard this combination (they both are very well managed and have performed very well). But I guess I was trying to point out that if you looked at PHI to diversify your portfolio, in spite of the geographical restriction it might not be as much of a diversifier from SMT as one might think (PHI is basically taking the same very growth/tech oriented investment framework of SMT and restricting it to Asia; and while this framework has worked great in the past few years it could change).

If your purpose for PHI is to diversify in East Asia, one alternative recommendation I would make is ATR* which is also well managed but by Schroder and not just focused on growth and tech (meaning it hasn't performed as handsomely as PHI recently, but it still performs very well and in case of trend reversals it shouldn't be as correlated to SMT as PHI would be).

* details here: https://www.schroders.com/en/uk/private-investor/fund-centre/funds-in-focus/investment-trusts/schroders-investment-trusts/schroder-asian-total-return-investment/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭Robson99

Bob24 wrote: »
    If you are happy with Baillie Gifford and their investment framework to handle that chunk of your portfolio, I wouldn't actually discard this combination (they both are very well managed and have performed very well). But I guess I was trying to point out that if you looked at PHI to diversify your portfolio, in spite of the geographical restriction it might not be as much of a diversifier from SMT as one might think (PHI is basically taking the same very growth/tech oriented investment framework of SMT and restricting it to Asia; and while this framework has worked great in the past few years it could change).

If your purpose for PHI is to diversify in East Asia, one alternative recommendation I would make is ATR* which is also well managed but by Schroder and not just focused on growth and tech (meaning it hasn't performed as handsomely as PHI recently, but it still performs very well and in case of trend reversals it shouldn't be as correlated to SMT as PHI would be).

* details here: https://www.schroders.com/en/uk/private-investor/fund-centre/funds-in-focus/investment-trusts/schroders-investment-trusts/schroder-asian-total-return-investment/

Thanks Bob.
    I had ATR initially selected but the PIE option in T212 would not let me select it as ATR appear to only sell in full shares. I might forget about the PIE option and just invest in each of the options individually either Monthey or No Monthly. Not a lot of extra work ...I was being a bit lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Any chance i could get a referal for t212?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

CGT question here, casual investor here, enjoying picking some select companies using revolut which suits me.

Wondering how, by using, revolut my potential tax could be calculated.....seems like it would be a bit messy?

Also, if I sold shares of company A and re-invest to company B before realising the money is that considered taxable or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Is buying company share options free Money? Providing the company is stable.

CGT question here, casual investor here, enjoying picking some select companies using revolut which suits me.

Wondering how, by using, revolut my potential tax could be calculated.....seems like it would be a bit messy?

Also, if I sold shares of company A and re-invest to company B before realising the money is that considered taxable or not?
    Once you sell the share you have "realised" the money and have to pay tax!

So many are making the mistake in thinking that if they "sell" within the app and just buy more shares they do not need to pay tax because they did not withdraw the cash from the broker. This is wrong, and these people will get murdered by the taxman when he turns his eye to the burgeoning retail investor scene (which WILL happen).

As for calculating, Revolut will give you a statement and you can do up a share register and calculate that way. Revolut is not very good at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Anyone suggest a fund based on the Asian markets? I have looked at the Schroder one that was mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere in the thread many times, where is a good starter website, podcasts, twitter feeds etc to get a top line skim view of stock picks.

I'm not the type, at this stage, to deep dive into companies quarterly reports and if possible would rather have it spoonfed to me to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Maybe this has been answered elsewhere in the thread many times, where is a good starter website, podcasts, twitter feeds etc to get a top line skim view of stock picks.

I'm not the type, at this stage, to deep dive into companies quarterly reports and if possible would rather have it spoonfed to me to a degree

Signing up for a stock picking service like MyWallSt is invaluable. Stick to their stock list and you won't go wrong.

@cperruna has a great list on twitter for free

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Signing up for a stock picking service like MyWallSt is invaluable. Stick to their stock list and you won't go wrong.

@cperruna has a great list on twitter for free
    Any recommendations for trading platform for fractional shares?
    I'm already on DeGiro, but no sign of waiting list opening for Trading212.

Have a sub for MyWallSt and would like to get on some stock options that I can't afford outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

dendof wrote: »
    Any recommendations for trading platform for fractional shares?
    I'm already on DeGiro, but no sign of waiting list opening for Trading212.

Have a sub for MyWallSt and would like to get on some stock options that I can't afford outright.

I used Revout for any fractional shares (Amazon). Then degiro for full shares

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

strandsman wrote: »
    Any chance i could get a referal for t212?
    Thanks

thanks for referal @timetogo1, @outonawing

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

retalivity wrote: »
    I like hipgnosis as an option, they have recently bought a heap of back catalogues (bob dylan, neil young) and barely moved the needle on the SP. Opened a position myself at 120p.

They didn't get Bob Dylan, he refused an offer of $400m from them, and they only have the worst 50% of the Neil Young Catalogue so be careful with your due diligence there!

It's a great idea and some valuable IP, but only for the guy in charge in so far as their appreciation in relation to the NAV over the last few years. I'm very skeptical about the dividend structure and future share dilution in terms of the actual share price ever spiking, but at penny stock prices I'd love to be proven wrong. Anyone done much digging here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

If I have bought shares while living in Ireland, but decide to leave the country and reside somewhere else. How does CGT work if I sold some shares. Are you liable to the Irish tax system or would you be using the country you've moved to?

Finical wrote: »
    If I have bought shares while living in Ireland, but decide to leave the country and reside somewhere else. How does CGT work if I sold some shares. Are you liable to the Irish tax system or would you be using the country you've moved to?

Move to Belgium, wait 3 years is basically the short answer.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/tax-residence/how-to-know-if-you-are-ordinarily-resident-for-tax-purposes.aspx

pioneerpro wrote: »

Thank you! Planning on moving to the UK once this pandemic is dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Anyone have any tips on overcoming indecision when analysing stocks? For any company I'm looking at I can always find a reason not to buy shares. It doesn't help that my first foray into buying shares last week has resulted in a 5% drop already!

Seems like anything is a gamble right now, especially as covid could be a non-issue in a few months or else it could be prolonged due to the different variants. I know no one has a crystal ball, but how do you convince yourself to make that leap of faith?

VonLuck wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips on overcoming indecision when analysing stocks? For any company I'm looking at I can always find a reason not to buy shares. It doesn't help that my first foray into buying shares last week has resulted in a 5% drop already!

Zoom out your chart to a 6 month view.
    Diversify your portfolio.
    Realise the current volatile state of the market and look for *bargains*, and try not to buy close to all-time-highs

If you're worried about week-to-week movement you're probably not analysing stocks, and you might instead be weighting the risk of swing trading based on public sentiment.

If you like a company, and believe in its fundamentals, then stop second guessing yourself based on the normal stuff that happens day to day like shorting, deleveraging, and sector sentiments. Unless there's some major news from the company or the market (lawsuit, product line, regulation) then its just the market being the market. Bigger boys doing bigger things that you can't mitigate against or foresee.
    Seems like anything is a gamble right now, especially as covid could be a non-issue in a few months or else it could be prolonged due to the different variants. I know no one has a crystal ball, but how do you convince yourself to make that leap of faith?

The market is in the middle of a bull run and the overall US sentiment is that retail and consumers are absolutely rearing to go. Inflation has basically gone negative in Europe and is barely raising its head in the US. It's going to be a money orgy of consumerism in certain sectors when restrictions ease up - you can already see how leveraged big hedge funds are in the 'covid recovery' sectors like travel and retail.

In short, don't look from a European or Asian perspective. The NASDAQ and NYSE are all you should be worried about, and sentiment is wildly different over there atm in relation to COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Zoom out your chart to a 6 month view.
    Diversify your portfolio.
    Realise the current volatile state of the market and look for *bargains*, and try not to buy close to all-time-highs

If you're worried about week-to-week movement you're probably not analysing stocks, and you might instead be weighting the risk of swing trading based on public sentiment.

Oh I totally understand that there can be market dips, and I've been looking long-term, but you can't help but feel a bit demoralised when your first venture is already down 5% after a week in the market, even though it was expected at some stage. It causes you to overthink and perhaps behave a bit more cautiously. It's a bit of a subconscious behaviour as I know if I was doing simulation trading I would have no qualms with investing now and would likely be performing better.
    If you like a company, and believe in its fundamentals, then stop second guessing yourself based on the normal stuff that happens day to day like shorting, deleveraging, and sector sentiments. Unless there's some major news from the company or the market (lawsuit, product line, regulation) then its just the market being the market. Bigger boys doing bigger things that you can't mitigate against or foresee.

That's a fair point and I am approaching it with that view, but with the outcome of Covid looming, as well as a potential market bubble bursting it makes you a bit more apprehensive. Although it tends to hold true that time in the market is better than timing the market.
    The market is in the middle of a bull run and the overall US sentiment is that retail and consumers are absolutely rearing to go. Inflation has basically gone negative in Europe and is barely raising its head in the US. It's going to be a money orgy of consumerism in certain sectors when restrictions ease up - you can already see how leveraged big hedge funds are in the 'covid recovery' sectors like travel and retail.

In short, don't look from a European or Asian perspective. The NASDAQ and NYSE are all you should be worried about, and sentiment is wildly different over there atm in relation to COVID.

Well American markets appear to be dipping at the moment, primarily in tech. I would have thought to diversify into the European market, especially with the positivity from the UK after Boris's announcement yesterday.

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's a fair point and I am approaching it with that view, but with the outcome of Covid looming, as well as a potential market bubble bursting it makes you a bit more apprehensive.

If you honestly believe there's a market bubble and/or a pandemic based recession looming, stay out of the market. Nothing any 3rd party will say will mitigate your fears if that's the real problem.

Although it tends to hold true that time in the market is better than timing the market.

You know the quotes, time to start living by them if you're holding long ;)
    Well American markets appear to be dipping at the moment, primarily in tech. I would have thought to diversify into the European market, especially with the positivity from the UK after Boris's announcement yesterday.

No, they're just rotating. Out of tech, into boomer stuff like travel, retail and oil in particular with the recent crap in Texas. Leave the macroeconomics up to Bloomberg if you're not au-fait with the Index and futures markets would be my advice.

Can you include commission fee when calculating cost of shares bought when calculating the CGT owed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nimil

Finical wrote: »
    Can you include commission fee when calculating cost of shares bought when calculating the CGT owed?

Yes. Calculation is based on net profit, which is (net proceeds) - (cost of acquisition). So you can subtract fees from the sale and add them to the purchase.

Example: buy 1 share for €100 & €5 purchase fee, sell it 6 months later for €150 and €10 fee, net profit is (150-10) - (100+5) = 140 - 105 = €35

Note that this is only for transaction fees. If your broker charges a monthly or yearly maintenance or connectivity fee, then that can't be included as a cost for cgt calculations.

• Advertisement

Nimil wrote: »
    Yes. Calculation is based on net profit, which is (net proceeds) - (cost of acquisition). So you can subtract fees from the sale and add them to the purchase.

Example: buy 1 share for €100 & €5 purchase fee, sell it 6 months later for €150 and €10 fee, net profit is (150-10) - (100+5) = 140 - 105 = €35

Note that this is only for transaction fees. If your broker charges a monthly or yearly maintenance or connectivity fee, then that can't be included as a cost for cgt calculations.

Legend, thank you so much for the reply. I really appreciate that. Explained it perfect!

I'm referring to the commission revolut charge can that be included as a cost?

Advertisement