Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Options

Comments

C0N0R wrote: »
    Also to echo this question, any other platforms recommended? Looking at buying SMT which degiro doesn't allow?
    Interactive Brokers is the only show in town for IT's while T212 is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Interactive Brokers is the only show in town for IT's while T212 is closed.

Perfect thanks.

Quick question, I'm currently a tax resident in Saudi Arabia and will be for the next two years after which ill be returning to Ireland, is there anything different I should do when opening an account? The majority of the money I will be using is in Ireland but I could use money from Saudi Arabia if that were advantageous?

C0N0R wrote: »
    Perfect thanks.

Quick question, I'm currently a tax resident in Saudi Arabia and will be for the next two years after which ill be returning to Ireland, is there anything different I should do when opening an account? The majority of the money I will be using is in Ireland but I could use money from Saudi Arabia if that were advantageous?
    I have no idea I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Can someone explain to me the multiple listing of some companies on different stock exchanges? For instance, looking at Siemens AG, they're listed on the Frankfurt stock exchange with the ticker SIE, but also in the US as SIEGY on OTCMKTS. Their performance history broadly matches each other, but the share price for SIEGY is significantly lower.

How do these two stocks relate to each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

VonLuck wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me the multiple listing of some companies on different stock exchanges? For instance, looking at Siemens AG, they're listed on the Frankfurt stock exchange with the ticker SIE, but also in the US as SIEGY on OTCMKTS. Their performance history broadly matches each other, but the share price for SIEGY is significantly lower.

How do these two stocks relate to each other?

OTC market stands for over the counter. I.e. those are not traded on an exchange.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/over-the-countermarket.asp

That listing is mostly for US investors. For you as a European investor, just buy the German listing.

And while here it is different, FYI in some cases a company can be listed on multiple exchanges. Usually large companies which want to make their stock available to more investors.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    OTC market stands for over the counter. I.e. those are not traded on an exchange.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/o/over-the-countermarket.asp

That listing is mostly for US investors. For you as a European investor, just buy the German listing.

And while here it is different, FYI in some cases a company can be listed on multiple exchanges. Usually large companies which want to make their stock available to more investors.

I'm still not sure why it exists. Why can't US investors purchase the European stock? Seems to be higher risk with OTC markets too.

I'm still not sure why it exists. Why can't US investors purchase the European stock? Seems to be higher risk with OTC markets too.

I think many US investors either don't have access to foreign markets (broker either not giving them access to foreign exchanges or charging extravagant fees), or don't want to trade on them (because their home capital market is the largest one in the world they look down at other ones and ignore them).

But yeah 100%, if I was in the US and wanted to trade European companies, I'd get a decent broker which lets me do it directly on European exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

Hi guys, hoping someone here might be able to help me and hopefully not in wrong thread. I have shares in the company I currently work for through an employee share scheme and are held in linkassistsservices.com the issue is I’m changing jobs and need to close this account within 30 days.

What’s my way of transferring these somewhere without requesting physical share certificates? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Hi guys, hoping someone here might be able to help me and hopefully not in wrong thread. I have shares in the company I currently work for through an employee share scheme and are held in linkassistsservices.com the issue is I’m changing jobs and need to close this account within 30 days.

What’s my way of transferring these somewhere without requesting physical share certificates? Thanks in advance
    Do you have a brokerage accoutn setup with a Degiro, or Interactive Brokers or something? They should be able to transfer the shares for a cost.

Depending on whether you have a big CGT bill, cheapest may be to sell up, move the money and buy the stock back if you want on Interaciteve Brokers or Degiro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Do you have a brokerage accoutn setup with a Degiro, or Interactive Brokers or something? They should be able to transfer the shares for a cost.

Depending on whether you have a big CGT bill, cheapest may be to sell up, move the money and buy the stock back if you want on Interaciteve Brokers or Degiro.

Hi I have a “vested share trust account “ I bought the shares @ €75 & they closed at €180 today so wouldn’t be worth my while selling & buying them back I don’t think ? I paid CGT on them in December 2019 and sold some at the same time. The company that does all this has given me 3 options : sell them, transfer them to a broker or get physical share certificates, they charge a fee plus a percentage of selling them.

Is transferring them to an interactive broker worth my while ? Is it a simple process? Are their annual/monthly fees high ? I plan on keeping the shares for the next 18-24months at least before deciding on cashing out.

Thanks for your reply Shedite27

DermoMIO wrote: »
    Hi I have a “vested share trust account “ I bought the shares @ €75 & they closed at €180 today so wouldn’t be worth my while selling & buying them back I don’t think ? I paid CGT on them in December 2019 and sold some at the same time. The company that does all this has given me 3 options : sell them, transfer them to a broker or get physical share certificates, they charge a fee plus a percentage of selling them.

Is transferring them to an interactive broker worth my while ? Is it a simple process? Are their annual/monthly fees high ? I plan on keeping the shares for the next 18-24months at least before deciding on cashing out.

Thanks for your reply Shedite27
    I think most brokers charge about €100 to transfer your shares in, sounds like it might be the cheapest if you've a good chunk and don't want to trigger anymore CGT.

Although if you paid CGT in 2019 it might not be a big bill. All these share schemes are a little different unfortunately, if you're talking 6 figures it might be worth talking to a broker to make sure ya don't have a big tax bill

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

Quick question from a complete novice.
    I have seen after hours trading on Yahoo Finance and I think I have an idea how it works.
    My question is if a stock goes up in after hours trading will this activity impact on the stock price when it opens for trading on the following day?? Say a stock increases by 2% in after hours will the stock price jump in value by that much at the start of the next day's trading??
    Apologies if this has been asked here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Layne wrote: »
    I have seen after hours trading on Yahoo Finance and I think I have an idea how it works.
    My question is if a stock goes up in after hours trading will this activity impact on the stock price when it opens for trading on the following day?? Say a stock increases by 2% in after hours will the stock price jump in value by that much at the start of the next day's trading??

It is a reasonable indicator of what is going to happen in the morning. There is also a few hours of pre-market trading which will also be a good guide on how the market opens. Significant changes in after market or pre market trading is generally as a result of news (good or bad) coming after market close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Layne wrote: »

Be wary of AH and Early hours trading, volume is typically lower, a lot less liquidity and wide bid ask spreads all distort the price. If a price is up 2% after hours it is at best an unreliable indication of tomorrow's price. Before the main market even opens at 9.30AM in the US pre-market is open at 4.00AM. Every single day you'll see prices up/down 2/3% minutes before open and trade nowhere near there once the main market opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

This may have been answered before but there are some stocks that can't be sold once there bought and I was wondering why this is.

Scenario:
    I have a trading 212 profile and one stock which I bought, just on my practice account was glanbia. I notice that there is no option to sell this now why is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HLagri

Hi. Looking for some investment advice for a beginner. I'm 27 and I'd like to start being smarter with my money and start to build my online portfolio rather than leaving it accumulate in a savings account earning me close to nothing. I'm focusing on the long term, not a get rich quick job so I've been looking into investing in stocks such as index funds and started dipping my toe into researching crypto like bitcoin but I'm just looking for some suggestions for good options to start off with. I have a nice bit of money saved already but would like to see some of this start to work for me and so I'm willing to try investing maybe 2k at first and hopefully to continually do so in future.

I have lots to learn but to get the ball rolling I ask this question, in a scenario where you have 2-5K to invest how would you go about it here in Ireland?

Thanks

HLagri wrote: »
    Hi. Looking for some investment advice for a beginner. I'm 27 and I'd like to start being smarter with my money and start to build my online portfolio rather than leaving it accumulate in a savings account earning me close to nothing. I'm focusing on the long term, not a get rich quick job so I've been looking into investing in stocks such as index funds and started dipping my toe into researching crypto like bitcoin but I'm just looking for some suggestions for good options to start off with. I have a nice bit of money saved already but would like to see some of this start to work for me and so I'm willing to try investing maybe 2k at first and hopefully to continually do so in future.

I have lots to learn but to get the ball rolling I ask this question, in a scenario where you have 2-5K to invest how would you go about it here in Ireland?

Thanks
    Have a read of the "Your first stock was a memestock" thread. Good starter advice on there.

My own advice...
    Download Learn app from MyWallSt
    Setup an account on Degiro.
    Don't invest until you've finished the learn modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 HLagri

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Have a read of the "Your first stock was a memestock" thread. Good starter advice on there.

My own advice...
    Download Learn app from MyWallSt
    Setup an account on Degiro.
    Don't invest until you've finished the learn modules.

Thanks for the advice, I've read through the Learn app and it's a good basis. Maybe it's already in this thread but any particular reason you suggest Degiro over others?

HLagri wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, I've read through the Learn app and it's a good basis. Maybe it's already in this thread but any particular reason you suggest Degiro over others?

I haven't used them all, but it's essentially free, and the user interface is easy to get a handle on. Others I've tried fall down on one or the other of those.

• Advertisement

If you don't want to buy UK stocks, or UK investment Trusts then DeGiro is the cheapest "proper" broker. If you do want the UK stuff then interactive Brokers is the cheapest "proper" broker for regular use

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

If you don't want to buy UK stocks, or UK investment Trusts then DeGiro is the cheapest "proper" broker. If you do want the UK stuff then interactive Brokers is the cheapest "proper" broker for regular use

Got an email from Interactive Brokers this morning telling me my 3 month free period has ended and I now have to pay $20 p/m. Any way around this? Just set it up to buy one stock that wasn't available on Degiro, don't particularly fancy paying to not use it.

Kilough wrote: »
    Got an email from Interactive Brokers this morning telling me my 3 month free period has ended and I now have to pay $20 p/m. Any way around this? Just set it up to buy one stock that wasn't available on Degiro, don't particularly fancy paying to not use it.

Have over 2 grand worth and its $10. No way to avoid it unless you have over 100k. I justify it to myself firstly because I have no alternative, and secondly I am making purchases every month the commission for which is offset against the $10

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Have over 2 grand worth and its $10. No way to avoid it unless you have over 100k. I justify it to myself firstly because I have no alternative, and secondly I am making purchases every month the commission for which is offset against the $10

Do you prefer it or think there is any benefits to it over Degiro? Have most of my stock on Degiro.

Think I'm actually over $2k in it so $10 isn't too bad.

Do you prefer it or think there is any benefits to it over Degiro? Have most of my stock on Degiro.

DeGiro is more expensive for UK stocks, and does not list most Investment Trusts (which are pretty much all I want).

What I would have preferred to do is to start on Trading212 and when I got to about 20k move to Interactive Brokers. However, T212 are not accepting new customers, and do not allow you to transfer stocks you hold on T212 to another broker so that ruled it out, so IB was the only show in town for me. I am not investing large amounts, so the Fees work out, on an annual basis, of about 2.5% of what I lodge (I make regular monthly buys) If I was investing bigger sums that % would decrease.

If I was just buying US stocks or whatever I would go with DeGiro

Same as Ex loco, I only use Interactive Brokers for the shares that i can't get on Degiro.

Another thing Interactive Brokers is better at: at any stage you can decide whether you allow them to lend your shares , and if you do allow them you are receiving 50% of the profits they are making.

Whereas with DEGIRO you have to decide once and for all (if you have anything but a Custody profile they can potentially lend the shares on that account), and they are not sharing any of the profits. Plus if you refuse lending (i.e. you go for a Custody profile) they are not giving access to all products and they are charging a dividend processing fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'll be moving to IB when i hit 100k. Degiro just seems very wishy washy. Constantly shifting the goal posts.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    I'll be moving to IB when i hit 100k. Degiro just seems very wishy washy. Constantly shifting the goal posts.

Yes DEGIRO have an easy to use product (I like the UX better than IBKR) and reasonable fees, but I found their customer service very poor and disrespectful, and the fact that they see no problem with removing access to some stocks with no notice and for no clear reason has made them a non-starter for me. They are very fine and cheap for someone who just wants to DCA into an index fund, but once once you want to look at other things you don’t want to be randomly restricted by your broker.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity, how much research do people generally do before committing to a stock? I'm talking long-term holding here and no high aspirations beyond hopefully beating the market by a small amount.

Advertisement