Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

124»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭conor_ie

Made the beef kebab version of this on Friday night with all the sauces and a quick salad! Deeeelish

Also made garlic flatbreads using this recipe

CxYMuCub.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Magnificent, thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I made this again on Sunday. Its so simple, yet so delicious, thank you so much.

Sunday was a really unseasonally cold and wet day here, bunged the meat in the oven and brought the boy to the park for an hour in his wellies and came home to a beautiful aroma filling the house. (My wife was at home with the instruction of keeping an eye on it and turning it a few times)

Big hit with the little boy (2.5 years old) who despite eating veg usually only eats salad in clearly segregated portions (will eat tomatoes or cucumber but not really if you mix them together) he was scooping this up and licking his lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Made this today and have to say it went down a treat, used dunnes stores whole wheat wraps, this recipe will be used on an on going base, real tasty taught the mint sauce might over power the sauce but when everything put together it was delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Made this (again) today. Doubled the recipe and used half beef and half lamb mince. Served in homebaked Turkish flatbread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wondered if anybody made the breads in their pizza oven. An italian chipper near me does the breads fresh in their pizza oven.

edit: I see now it was mentioned earlier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if anybody made the breads in their pizza oven. An italian chipper near me does the breads fresh in their pizza oven.

edit: I see now it was mentioned earlier!

Made some last week in my Ooni. They were savage! Will try and make them thinner next time to have as a kebab.

514785.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi all.... wife has a set against Lamb!!! I reckon she was bitten by a lamb as a kid!!!........

So... what is better - Beef or Chicken?? as an alternative??

Wold love t try the recipe again - been at least a year since the last attempt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Masala wrote: »
    So... what is better - Beef or Chicken?? as an alternative??

I did it with chicken last year, only because I had some saffron threads I bought on impulse in Lidl without having a clue what to do with them. Went googling for recipes with saffron in them and came across Persian Joojeh kebabs which are chicken skewers marinated in saffron, lemon and yogurt before being charred on a BBQ. It was absolutely delicious as a substitute for the lamb in this recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Made this (again) today. Doubled the recipe and used half beef and half lamb mince. Served in homebaked Turkish flatbread.

Do you have a link to a recipe? Looks great.

• Advertisement

tangy wrote: »
    Do you have a link to a recipe? Looks great.

Try this one, its not Turkish but Iranian. It goes really well with kebabs

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Made this recipe last night and finally got around to making the tafoon bread to go with it. Theres lots of varying recipes online but this is the one I used and it worked out great

500g Plain Flour
    300ml water
    2 teaspoons dried yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons greek yoghurt

That produced an 800g dough which is good for four doughballs which stretch to a disc of about 11 inches

I kneaded it for 10 mins and proved it for 2 hours before rolling it very thin and baking it in the pizza oven. Make sure to pierce the rolled disc all over with a fork or else the bread will rise up with tons of bubbles. In the pizza oven it only takes about 2 minutes to bake so you have to keep an eye on it or it will quickly turn too crisp on the underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

That's kind. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

I made those kebabs at the weekend and they were just gorgeous..thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Had these again last night - this recipe is going to live forever :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

Pitta bread wont break if you give them 30 secs in microwave. They are very flexible then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I've looked at this recipe for years and never made it for some reason.

I'm giving it a go this week, and I'm going to make flatbreads in my pizza oven to go with. Exciting!

I made it over Xmas and it was delicious as always. Made the tafoon bread in the Ooni also to go with it which was great.

Only thing is with the garlic sauce I went and put garlic granules in it but they dont seem to dissolve when you mix the sauce and then you can feel the grains on your tongue. Am I right to say there is a difference between garlic granules and garlic powder? I think it is the latter I need.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made it over Xmas and it was delicious as always. Made the tafoon bread in the Ooni also to go with it which was great.
    Do you have an Ooni taftoon recipe you could share? I got an Ooni for Christmas and have had mixed results with my flatbread experiments.
    Only thing is with the garlic sauce I went and put garlic granules in it but they dont seem to dissolve when you mix the sauce and then you can feel the grains on your tongue. Am I right to say there is a difference between garlic granules and garlic powder? I think it is the latter I need.

You could probably convert granules to powder in a spice grinder or mortar without too much trouble.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Do you have an Ooni taftoon recipe you could share? I got an Ooni for Christmas and have had mixed results with my flatbread experiments.

You could probably convert granules to powder in a spice grinder or mortar without too much trouble.

Another option would be to use fresh garlic. Roast it in a whole bulb and then squeeze it in.

oscarBravo wrote: »

The recipe I use is in this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107579310&postcount=131

I've seen variants of it where no yoghurt is added but I think yoghurt gives it a nice flavour. Other variants include nigella seeds.

Key thing is to piece the rolled out dough all over with a fork, if you dont do this and put it in the Ooni the bread will likely blow up like a balloon in under 30 seconds. Even when pieced dont take your eyes off it and have a sharp knife ready to stab it in case it blows up in one section of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The recipe I use is in this post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107579310&postcount=131

I've seen variants of it where no yoghurt is added but I think yoghurt gives it a nice flavour. Other variants include nigella seeds.

Key thing is to piece the rolled out dough all over with a fork, if you dont do this and put it in the Ooni the bread will likely blow up like a balloon in under 30 seconds. Even when pieced dont take your eyes off it and have a sharp knife ready to stab it in case it blows up in one section of it.

I've said a few times in the years since I posted this recipe that I'd try doing Taftoon bread. Never did - but I have an Ooni oven now as well so hopefully will give this a shot at some stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Am I right to say there is a difference between garlic granules and garlic powder? I think it is the latter I need.
    Yes, tesco do both. You have to be careful with powdered garlic, it absorbs moisture from the air and goes rock hard. The pots most spices come in are not prefect seals, so I keep him in other jars with good lids. Tesco are upgrading all their spice jars at the moment with better lids, they still do not look perfectly airtight but look a lot better.

I use granules in sauces but would have them sitting in the fridge for days, by that time it absorbs moisture and is not as grainy. I have not tried it but guess you might be able to boil granules in a little water to turn it into a paste.

Garlic powder is also extremely light and can puff up into a cloud in the air.

You also would not want to be sprinkling it into say food cooking a wok as moisture would get in, but also if a clump hits somewhere it can be hard to separate. This is why you will see "garlic salt" sold, it has garlic powder but is more "free running"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Tried this recipe recently, really good. Made a thin 'naan' bread and had a kebab wrap.

One tip, if you really want to get that doner kebab texture then put the minced meat in a food processor for a minute or 2. Makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Badabing1

Only discovered this recipe, dying to try it out. Are the sauces spicy like taco sauce kind of? Have never used mint sauce or yoghurt in a sauce so can't imagine the taste, but I remember doner kebab sauce spicy taste and was gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Badabing1 wrote: »
    Only discovered this recipe, dying to try it out. Are the sauces spicy like taco sauce kind of? Have never used mint sauce or yoghurt in a sauce so can't imagine the taste, but I remember doner kebab sauce spicy taste and was gorgeous.

The sauces can be as spicy as you want them, add chilli to taste. The mint sauce in the ketchup really compliments the lamb.

Enjoy!

Quick question on the Recipe on page #1.

How many Kebabs is the OP aiming at making / catering for?? Same with the Salads etc.....

Am looking at 3 x Adults eating 2 x Kebabs each - so will 500g of lamb cover same??

Masala I can't answer you because I'm a cooking club kebab virgin.

I've been threatening to cook these for oh *checks watch* SIX YEARS NOW, so we're finally having them tonight. :pac:

All prepped and in the fridge for later.

I've also prepped some taftoon dough which I plan to use to make Zaytoon-style breads in my pizza oven.

We are really excited about this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How many Kebabs is the OP aiming at making / catering for?? Same with the Salads etc.....

Am looking at 3 x Adults eating 2 x Kebabs each - so will 500g of lamb cover same??
    A slightly related, but different question for anyone who's made these....

There's only me, and there's only so many kebabs I could eat in a short period of time - would this recipe scale down? Or would the cooked loaf keep for subsequent reheat meals? Freezing???

It sounds so delicious, I'm dying to try it! But don't want to waste good food either!

It would be tight. You’re going to be watching it and panicking so save yourself the bother and double the recipe to at least a kg of mince - I mix lamb and pork together.

Salad and sauces will be fine as they are.

Any leftovers taste great the next day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    A slightly related, but different question for anyone who's made these....

There's only me, and there's only so many kebabs I could eat in a short period of time - would this recipe scale down? Or would the cooked loaf keep for subsequent reheat meals? Freezing???

It sounds so delicious, I'm dying to try it! But don't want to waste good food either!

The meat freezes really well. I slice it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The meat freezes really well. I slice it first.
    So cook the whole batch as per recipe, slice and then freeze? Ready-made kebab meat in the freezer sounds like a great idea!!

Yes, I've often had some left over because I buy way too much and cook it all when we're having visitors :)

If just using those small pita pocket breads that are in the OP then count on about 90-100 grams of meat per kebab along with the salad and sauces. You might need to up it a bit for six kebabs, maybe go with 600g rather than 500g and up the spices a tiny bit. If they're savages up it even further to 750g, leftovers dont get left over for long with this recipe anyway.

Aldi have discounted lamb mince on their Super Six at the moment, runs till Tuesday.

Hi All... went with 700g of Beef / Lamb mix as there was a split in the camp as to who likes Lamb!!

So ..... here are some pics. Am very happy with how it turned out and with the the reception among the guests!!

Must say the Sauces were a BIG hit and the Salad was used as an side dish and went down great and actually its completely gone!!

Sliced 'the loaf' really thin and got Wholegrain pittas from Aldi. The 30 sec in the Microwave (after cutting them open with a scissors) was the way to go. Still have some pan left over for tomorrow with some sauce and will just throw in some Salad leaves tomorrow to finish off.

They look fab!

• Advertisement

I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love this kebab. :D

It was yummy.

I've a bit of work to do on my taftoon bread. But delighted all the same.

IMG-20210214-195008878.jpg

IMG-20210214-195012295.jpg

They look amazing, your breads look really good!

Gloomtastic and I seem to loiter in this thread, salivating over photos :pac:

It was yummy.

I've a bit of work to do on my taftoon bread. But delighted all the same.

Looks savage! Vaguely planning on doing taftoons in the pizza oven at the weekend.....doesn't look like the weather is going to play ball though!

Six years later......I finally made Taftoon bread to go with my OP! Taken directly from Muahaha's recipe in this post and cooked in an Oona pizza oven. Need to keep a close eye on it - these cooked even quicker than a pizza, less than a minute and needed constant vigilance with a skewer to poke any bubbles. Absolutely gorgeous, and really finished off the kebab very well. Despite appearing dry, they were actually lovely and soft. Dough was easy to make too.

• Advertisement

Fair play Padraig. Your recipe in the OP is fantastic but making taffoon bread fresh to go with it really elevates the entire dish to the next level, it makes it restaurant quality compared to just using supermarket pitta breads. Its remarkably similar to the bread served in Zaytoon, Id actually guess it is pretty much bang on given Zaytoon are a Persian kebab house and taffoon is a Persian flatbread still made all over Iran to this day. I backpacked Iran years ago and remember absolutely loving the bread served with everything there but knew next to nothing about food at the time. Only now years later I realise I was eating taffoon almost daily for the month I was there. Every restaurant/cafe I was in had their own version of a tandoor oven and they would be bashing these breads out to beat the band.

And yeah, you've to watch it like a hawk in the oven. First time I baked it the bread blew up literally like a balloon, I couldnt believe my eyes. The great thing about doing it on the Ooni is when you burst one of the bubbles the flames lick over the top and give the edges of the burst bubbles those lovely char marks which really add to the depth of flavour in the kebab.

Was rooting around the middle aisles in Aldi on Friday and came across this

[IMG][/img]yog.jpg

Immediately got me thinking of lamb kebabs and then I remembered I had dough balls for a few taffoon breads buried in the freezer, happy days. It wasnt long before I had some lamb mince, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion in the trolley.

[IMG][/img]keb.jpg

Im stuffed now, this recipe always delivers a total feast.

Was rooting around the middle aisles in Aldi on Friday and came across this

Immediately got me thinking of lamb kebabs and then I remembered I had dough balls for a few taffoon breads buried in the freezer, happy days. It wasnt long before I had some lamb mince, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion in the trolley.

Im stuffed now, this recipe always delivers a total feast.

Looks savage! As it happens I actually made your taftoons on the Ooni again the other day for lunch. Kids came home from school and happily devoured them with zero toppings. My very finicky 12 year old declared them "good", which is high praise from him!

Made this recipe again with tafoon breads, was delicious as always. Added a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix to give it an extra spice kick which was nice. It really is a great Saturday night dinner.

Advertisement