Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,773 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The meat freezes really well. I slice it first.
    So cook the whole batch as per recipe, slice and then freeze? Ready-made kebab meat in the freezer sounds like a great idea!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes, I've often had some left over because I buy way too much and cook it all when we're having visitors :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Masala wrote: »
    Quick question on the Recipe on page #1.

How many Kebabs is the OP aiming at making / catering for?? Same with the Salads etc.....

Am looking at 3 x Adults eating 2 x Kebabs each - so will 500g of lamb cover same??

If just using those small pita pocket breads that are in the OP then count on about 90-100 grams of meat per kebab along with the salad and sauces. You might need to up it a bit for six kebabs, maybe go with 600g rather than 500g and up the spices a tiny bit. If they're savages up it even further to 750g, leftovers dont get left over for long with this recipe anyway.

Aldi have discounted lamb mince on their Super Six at the moment, runs till Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Hi All... went with 700g of Beef / Lamb mix as there was a split in the camp as to who likes Lamb!!

So ..... here are some pics. Am very happy with how it turned out and with the the reception among the guests!!

Must say the Sauces were a BIG hit and the Salad was used as an side dish and went down great and actually its completely gone!!

Sliced 'the loaf' really thin and got Wholegrain pittas from Aldi. The 30 sec in the Microwave (after cutting them open with a scissors) was the way to go. Still have some pan left over for tomorrow with some sauce and will just throw in some Salad leaves tomorrow to finish off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look fab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t love this kebab. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It was yummy.

I've a bit of work to do on my taftoon bread. But delighted all the same.

IMG-20210214-195008878.jpg

IMG-20210214-195012295.jpg

They look amazing, your breads look really good!

Gloomtastic and I seem to loiter in this thread, salivating over photos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

It was yummy.

I've a bit of work to do on my taftoon bread. But delighted all the same.

Looks savage! Vaguely planning on doing taftoons in the pizza oven at the weekend.....doesn't look like the weather is going to play ball though!

Six years later......I finally made Taftoon bread to go with my OP! Taken directly from Muahaha's recipe in this post and cooked in an Oona pizza oven. Need to keep a close eye on it - these cooked even quicker than a pizza, less than a minute and needed constant vigilance with a skewer to poke any bubbles. Absolutely gorgeous, and really finished off the kebab very well. Despite appearing dry, they were actually lovely and soft. Dough was easy to make too.

• Advertisement

Fair play Padraig. Your recipe in the OP is fantastic but making taffoon bread fresh to go with it really elevates the entire dish to the next level, it makes it restaurant quality compared to just using supermarket pitta breads. Its remarkably similar to the bread served in Zaytoon, Id actually guess it is pretty much bang on given Zaytoon are a Persian kebab house and taffoon is a Persian flatbread still made all over Iran to this day. I backpacked Iran years ago and remember absolutely loving the bread served with everything there but knew next to nothing about food at the time. Only now years later I realise I was eating taffoon almost daily for the month I was there. Every restaurant/cafe I was in had their own version of a tandoor oven and they would be bashing these breads out to beat the band.

And yeah, you've to watch it like a hawk in the oven. First time I baked it the bread blew up literally like a balloon, I couldnt believe my eyes. The great thing about doing it on the Ooni is when you burst one of the bubbles the flames lick over the top and give the edges of the burst bubbles those lovely char marks which really add to the depth of flavour in the kebab.

Was rooting around the middle aisles in Aldi on Friday and came across this

[IMG][/img]yog.jpg

Immediately got me thinking of lamb kebabs and then I remembered I had dough balls for a few taffoon breads buried in the freezer, happy days. It wasnt long before I had some lamb mince, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion in the trolley.

[IMG][/img]keb.jpg

Im stuffed now, this recipe always delivers a total feast.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was rooting around the middle aisles in Aldi on Friday and came across this

Immediately got me thinking of lamb kebabs and then I remembered I had dough balls for a few taffoon breads buried in the freezer, happy days. It wasnt long before I had some lamb mince, lettuce, tomatoes and red onion in the trolley.

Im stuffed now, this recipe always delivers a total feast.

Looks savage! As it happens I actually made your taftoons on the Ooni again the other day for lunch. Kids came home from school and happily devoured them with zero toppings. My very finicky 12 year old declared them "good", which is high praise from him!

Made this recipe again with tafoon breads, was delicious as always. Added a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix to give it an extra spice kick which was nice. It really is a great Saturday night dinner.

Advertisement