Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to ask UK for Vaccines?

Options
  • 15-02-2021 8:00pm

‘UK should help Ireland with vaccine supply – it has 407m doses purchased’ – Dr Gabriel Scally
    Irish Independent, today.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/uk-should-help-ireland-with-vaccine-supply-it-has-407m-doses-purchased-dr-gabriel-scally-40093598.html

Dr. Gabriel Scally is The President of Epidemiology and Public Health at the UK’s Royal Society of Medicine.

This article says he was responding to Claire Byrne. So we're scabbing, begging for vaccines now!

This is so embarrassing. We through the Brits under the bus when it came to Brexit negotiations. We hid behind our EU overlords, partially for fear we'd get strong-armed by the bigger UK, partially for potentially displeasing the European Union.

Every time the Russians send unauthorised aeroplanes over Irish skies, which is often enough if you read the news, or there's Russian subs in Euro waters, we scramble the RAF. We can't even protect our sovereign territory.

Didn't I read just a few weeks ago that over the 'in case of complete ignorance about NI politics break glass' protocol, which the EU pressed, the Irish govern. was about to call Biden for help?

FFS.

We're apart of, or adjacent to everyone's Union. If this country actually had a national conversation about how strategically and culturally it makes sense that we should be part of everyone's Union, I could respect that. But this country calls itself 'independent' then asks EVERYONE for help.

Dr Gabriel Scally is also quoted as saying:

"When told that the government is working on having 18 countries on the mandatory hotel quarantine list, Dr Scally said “that’s no good”.

He added: “The variants are on their way and the variants move far faster than the Irish government.”

Damn right about that. Don't get me started on the 110k people going through the airport in Jan. on their Corona holidays...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Get the vaccines into the country by hook or by crook. I couldn’t care once they have them and we can get back to normality cuz I for an sick to death of this “new normal”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Your thread title needs a bit of work to be honest

I can see the sense in this.

We might want to work on our diplomacy is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

This would be all over very quickly if we could go to Belfast to be vaccinated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

In what part of the article is it showing Ireland is begging for vaccines from the UK?

It reads that a Dr from Belfast is saying that the UK would benefit by providing surplus vaccines to the ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Forestsman wrote: »
    This is so embarrassing. We through the Brits under the bus when it came to Brexit negotiations. We hid behind our EU overlords, partially for fear we'd get strong-armed by the bigger UK, partially for potentially displeasing the European Union.

I love hearing from Brexit supporters how Ireland through them under the bus during negotiate. As if the UK wouldn't throw us under the bus given half a chance! Look how Boris treated his loyal friends in the DUP.

Ireland are somehow the bad guys for trying to protect their own economic interests as well as uphold an international treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

I see you changed it. But still a non story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Buddy Bubs wrote: »

The feckin post itself needs working on too. Wild catastrophe syndrome rambling bullsh1t.

Op should sober up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Forestsman wrote: »

So we're scabbing, begging for vaccines now!

We absolutely are not scabbing nor begging for vaccines. Think you need to work on your outrage... or faux outrage, there, pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

The EU has also ordered multiples of the number of vaccines we will eventually need. The UK has only vaccinated about 20% of its population so far and then with only one dose, so they are a long way from having any spares.

At the moment, we're on track to have all over 65s and healthcare workers vaccinated by the end of May and all adults by the end of September. I think the UK might be a month or two ahead of us on those counts (time will tell) but their over 70s are mostly getting the Oxford vaccine whereas ours are mostly getting the superior BioNTech one so it remains to be seen which policy will turn out best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

No. We'll start making good headway in the next few weeks and the strings attached to getting them from the Brits will make it not worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

91sn32Q.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Ireland are somehow the bad guys for trying to protect their own economic interests as well as uphold an international treaty.
    The so-called "EU" has never been in Ireland's interests, and should and must be considered to be an enemy of Irish freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Risteard81 wrote: »
    The so-called "EU" has never been in Ireland's interests, and should and must be considered to be an enemy of Irish freedom.

Nah, the EU is a positive in general. Our sweet spot in it with the low corporation tax has transformed this country from a backwater.

No more integration though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Risteard81 wrote: »

The EU never gave a toss about Ireland until they thought they could use us against Britain in the Brexit negotiations.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

There are two vaccine threads already, no need for a third. Especially when some of the posts above are completely off the wall and belong in the conspiracy theory forum.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement