Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭titan18

agoodpunt wrote: »
    glad it doesnt apply to me and all non resident or multiple passport holders but tough and discrimitory towards others i would be certainly annoyed.

The 5k restriction applies to you so yes it does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Hooked wrote: »
    I'm still struggling to believe that all of this is real...

A virus, with a 99.91% survival rate (in under 65's) has us confined to 5km from our home. With fines for leaving your county, or worse, your country.

We took to the streets to protest against water charges... but we are happy to be locked up? For what... the flu 2.0?

Bonkers!

One year into this and you still have people downplaying Covid and calling it the Flu 2.0.

You think you might have used that year to smarten up a bit. Maybe stay off Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

The Government are hell bent on sweeping their failings under the carpet by focusing all of the attention on foreign travel right now.

If Leo and Micky jet off to the states next month then I hope the streets of Ireland are filled with rioters.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

These rules are pure opportunism and populism , I expected more from a supposed mature Party like Fine Gael

I think the banning non essential travel is all the left parties pric ks heard Alan Kelly on that awful radio station today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

RobitTV wrote: »

Can we put Catherine Martin on the PUP? As the Minister for No Tourism she must have absolutely no work to do all day?

Annd9 wrote: »
    What I really do not understand is the approach being taken by Gardai at the Airport , fining people leaving but nothing said to those arriving . I'm working in the airport at the moment , the Paris and Amsterdam flights are arriving every day with hundreds of people coming from God knows where .

As these are large connection Airports to Africa and South America our chances of new strains arriving get larger with every single arrival .

There are restrictions in place for people entering the country.
    Or do you think we should fine people coming in??

RobitTV wrote: »
    Can you apply for a UK passport from Ireland, if you were originally born in the UK and are currently living in Ireland?

Do you think this will matter in respect of covid restrictions?

bubblypop wrote: »
    There are restrictions in place for people entering the country.
    Or do you think we should fine people coming in??

The "Joe Duffy Brigade" won't be happy until there's no one at all coming into the country, or that the Gardai are standing at the aircraft doors with a creditcard machine handing out €5000 on the spot fines...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

COVID-19: Transport secretary casts doubts on foreign holidays or staycations this summer - a headline from Sky News. When you read the actual article, all he said was there may have to be restrictions placed on certain countries or areas to prevent the spread of new variants. It's amazing how little substance their is behind all the sensationalist headlines.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

how long is this 2k fine going to be applicable for, surely they cant just keep this in place in the summer, you'll just get people going up to Belfast to fly instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭I regurgitate the news

how long is this 2k fine going to be applicable for, surely they cant just keep this in place in the summer, you'll just get people going up to Belfast to fly instead.

There's nothing as permanent as a temporary government measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

All they are doing is trying to get people to panic now and book a staycation. Those people are then committed to Ireland for the summer and won't travel.
    By June, fines and quarantine will be gone, the most that will be left will be PCR tests.

There's nothing as permanent as a temporary government measure.

Spot on! All workers in Ireland have been paying the Temporary Government taxation charge the USC for 10 years now..

If people think the restrictions being imposed on citizens is slow to be implemented, wait until they see how slow they are to reverse them!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭CapriciousOne

josip wrote: »
    All they are doing is trying to get people to panic now and book a staycation. Those people are then committed to Ireland for the summer and won't travel.
    By June, fines and quarantine will be gone, the most that will be left will be PCR tests.

Nah, can't see it. They're not going through the effort of putting legislation in place and setting up quarantine hotels only to remove them in a couple of months. Same for the UK.

Nah, can't see it. They're not going through the effort of putting legislation in place and setting up quarantine hotels only to remove them in a couple of months. Same for the UK.

Will be in place for 1 year I believe, something to do with the minimum length of time legislation has to be in place for I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

Legislation can exist without it being enforced

agree totally here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Based on the experience of some of my friends who 'enjoyed' a staycation last ( what a f**king awful word) year I think I will forgo the pleasure and plod away until international travel resumes.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Will be in place for 1 year I believe, something to do with the minimum length of time legislation has to be in place for I think...

Where are you getting this from?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭latency89

Question

Instead of fining people that go out on planes ( ourselves ) why don't we fine people that come in on planes?

Fine at entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Unless you want to go England that won't help much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Legislation can be revoked a day after it is enacted if that is what the Oireachtas decides.

In saying that, given the Tánaiste's comments yesterday, I suspect this will be kept until the restriction on non-essential travel is lifted entirely which could be the end of the year or early 2022.

It's pretty evident at this stage that the Government will not permit non-essential travel abroad throughout the summer - i.e. holidaying abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

It's a possibility that a country with much further advanced progression in their vaccination programs will see travel corridors opened up with other nations - the UK having these will benefit us who want to travel.

Legislation can be revoked a day after it is enacted if that is what the Oireachtas decides.

In saying that, given the Tánaiste's comments yesterday, I suspect this will be kept until the restriction on non-essential travel is lifted entirely which could be the end of the year or early 2022.

It's pretty evident at this stage that the Government will not permit non-essential travel abroad throughout the summer - i.e. holidaying abroad.

Belfast will become very busy then guaranteed.

I dont get what you mean?

There are flights from Belfast to other destinations other than England.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Belfast will become very busy then guaranteed.

The UK is about to introduce strict hotel quarantine requirements and it specifically states that Irish residents are included in the plan.

I'm not sure people will be willing to pay €2,000 for the privilege of quarantining in a hotel for 10 days in Northern Ireland if they aren't willing to be handed a €2,000 fine at Dublin Airport.

The UK is about to introduce strict hotel quarantine requirements and it specifically states that Irish residents are included in the plan.

I'm not sure people will be willing to pay €2,000 for the privilege of quarantining in a hotel for 10 days in Northern Ireland if they aren't willing to be handed a €2,000 fine at Dublin Airport.

Really yeah jaysus i must have missed that, fcuk thats desperate news for people who have family in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    How is this policed? If you are on your way to the airport and are stopped by the guards who ask you where you are going to which you say to the airport on holidays I understand you can get fined €500. But if you can get into the airport without being stopped what controls are in place there exactly?

It depends on the restrictions in your destination country, plus the regulations in any transit airport. If the destination country or transit country require covid testing, which most now do, the airline will not let you on the flight without proof that you fulfill the requirements. Some countries have banned all but essential travel, and if that is the case, you will be required to show proof that your travel reason meets the requirements in the destination country.

• Advertisement

Are you sure about this @sierra oscar ?

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6543299/ireland-uk-hotel-quarantine-red-list-travel-advice/

Ireland is within the Common Travel Area so anyone travelling from here directly to the UK will not be affected by the new rules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement