Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electric taxis

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ted1 wrote: »
    seems to be decent scrappage grants for taxi drivers now. will we see a lot more of then on the streets.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2f0f5-launch-of-electric-spsv-grant-scheme-2021/

Is the model 3 still not allowed? what EV's are allowed be used as taxis?

Leaf, old and new model.
    I think theres an exemption for the volume capacities for EVs to encourage it. That's how the older Leaf qualified.

Theres 2 or 3 Leaf taxi drivers on the facebook group.
    Be hard to encourage change over now during a pandemic, the industry has been shattered!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I've seen Tesla Model 3 taxis. Can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be allowed. Some borderline cars have even got an exemption. A Renault Zoe is allowed as a taxi :D :rolleyes:

The one EV you don't see as a taxi is the Hyundai Ioniq. Because Hyundai invalidate the warranty when it is used as a taxi. Shame on them. What are they afraid of? And of course Nissan Leaf taxis are reasonably common, but mostly the newer model as the older model just lacks the range

Whenever I see an EV taxi I think: clever man. Bagging all the subsidies and then owning a taxi that only costs a fraction in fuel and maintenance of an ICE taxi. I don't understand why there are all these Prius taxis and very few Leafs and other EVs...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Over the summer, it seemed like we'd defined a standard taxi vehicle for the first time - a silver Prius. 80% of the taxis plying were one! But they're nearly all three to four years old - I suspect the cost of a new one is beyond many drivers hence the lack of even heavily subsidised EVs.

L1011 wrote: »
    Over the summer, it seemed like we'd defined a standard taxi vehicle for the first time - a silver Prius. 80% of the taxis plying were one! But they're nearly all three to four years old - I suspect the cost of a new one is beyond many drivers hence the lack of even heavily subsidised EVs.

There has hardly been a single cheap night ferry between L'pool and Dublin over the last few years before COVID that didn't have a Prius on board driven by its proud new owner taxi driver to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I’ve seen an eNiro taxi a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

Loads of Tesla taxis at Schipol when I was last there, but interesting story below

https://www.electrive.com/2020/12/09/tesla-in-taxi-trouble-in-holland/

slave1 wrote: »
    Wonder are taxi plates cheap these days?

You can only buy Wheelchair accessible taxi plates these days.
    I've been there done that, still have my licence and a plate out there.

The licence is only a couple of hundred euro but the catch is you have to buy a wheelchair car less than 7 years old.

I remember buying and selling SPSV Plates at over €6k!

You cant transfer them nowadays :(

Back in the day they were 80k punts! Taxi owners had to take out mortgages for them and drive them with 2 "cosys" 24/7 to make that work and they were still a bunch of bangers :eek:

Gumbo wrote: »
    You can only buy Wheelchair accessible taxi plates these days.(
    Nissan eNV200 FTW

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Back in the day they were 80k punts! Taxi owners had to take out mortgages for them and drive them with 2 "cosys" 24/7 to make that work and they were still a bunch of bangers :eek:

I know. They were considered their pension too and over night they lost the value!
    There was uproar.

I remember a lot of people working as hackney drivers (remember them) as it was too expensive for a plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »

a lot of the Prius are imported and rented to drivers.

https://www.rentataxidublin.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I remember a lot of people working as hackney drivers (remember them) as it was too expensive for a plate.

A small proportion of the drivers for my local radio base / whatever Noel Ebbs app is called this week pre-COVID were on hack plates still. Most would be full taxis these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

unkel wrote: »
    I've seen Tesla Model 3 taxis. Can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be allowed. .

Rear windows heavy heavy default tint, and taxis are not allowed to have tinted rear windows for security. You might be able to replace the rear glass, but might not be able to get from Tesla. I think there is a model 3 taxi in Cork so that person got away with it or did something. There is a Tesla model s taxi in Dublin.

If it was me I would want far more 50kW+ chargers in the right location for mid shift charging. I would also like pubs and airports to be back to normal.

A lot of this hybrids on the road are jap imports. Part of the reason is they are highly reliable and can go in EV mode in city centre stop start traffic. They must be cheaper than equivalent diesel for Dublin drivers

zg3409 wrote: »
    Rear windows heavy heavy default tint, and taxis are not allowed to have tinted rear windows for security. You might be able to replace the rear glass, but might not be able to get from Tesla. I think there is a model 3 taxi in Cork so that person got away with it or did something. There is a Tesla model s taxi in Dublin.

If it was me I would want far more 50kW+ chargers in the right location for mid shift charging. I would also like pubs and airports to be back to normal.

A lot of this hybrids on the road are jap imports. Part of the reason is they are highly reliable and can go in EV mode in city centre stop start traffic. They must be cheaper than equivalent diesel for Dublin drivers

Tesla don’t come with rear tints so the factory glass passes the SPSV suitability test.

In Dublin there is an abundance of charge points to charge mid job, especially with the CCS on the new age Tesla.

Tesla don’t come with rear tints so the factory glass passes the SPSV suitability test.

In Dublin there is an abundance of charge points to charge mid job, especially with the CCS on the new age Tesla.

This is tint rule (maybe its the S that has the issue)
    Taxis and hackneys,  wheelchair  accessible  taxis  and  wheelchair  accessible  hackneys:  all  windows  must  be ‘clear’,  i.e.  allow  at  least  65%  light  transmission  (no  more  than  35%  tint).  If  the  rear  windows  appear  much darker  than  the  front  side  glass  the  vehicle  will  likely  fail  its  inspection.  There  are  no  window  tint  restrictions  for limousines  but  clear  windscreen  and  front  side  windows  are  needed  for  the  NCT. 

There is no Tesla on the approved list (last updated 2019 shown here:)

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi/vehicle-licensing/

I am not sure why the list is not updated, and it might just be a matter of a phone call, but it might be a hiccup.

It lists the leaf. A simple thing like not on the list might cause issues. Niro is on the list, the soul is not. Kona non EV failed.

This is tint rule (maybe its the S that has the issue)
    Taxis and hackneys,  wheelchair  accessible  taxis  and  wheelchair  accessible  hackneys:  all  windows  must  be ‘clear’,  i.e.  allow  at  least  65%  light  transmission  (no  more  than  35%  tint).  If  the  rear  windows  appear  much darker  than  the  front  side  glass  the  vehicle  will  likely  fail  its  inspection.  There  are  no  window  tint  restrictions  for limousines  but  clear  windscreen  and  front  side  windows  are  needed  for  the  NCT. 

There is no Tesla on the approved list (last updated 2019 shown here:)

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/taxi/vehicle-licensing/

I am not sure why the list is not updated, and it might just be a matter of a phone call, but it might be a hiccup.

It lists the leaf. A simple thing like not on the list might cause issues. Niro is on the list, the soul is not. Kona non EV failed.

Model S doesn’t come with rear privacy glass either.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There was a very interesting video on Fully Charged this week from Shenzen in China. They have 5,000 EV taxis (and 6,000 buses).

They have depots for the taxi drivers with lots of fast chargers, but the depots is also a building that includes cafe, cafeteria, gym and health center for the taxi drivers. Get lunch, etc. while waiting for the taxi to charge up. Interesting idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P7fTPLSMeI

I saw that a few days ago and the one thing that struck me was the excellent English several of the spokespersons had. They are on a fierce path into the future and as usual, we in the west do all the inventing and the hard expensive work (R&D), they usually follow, but this time they've overtaken us and we are not keeping up

A million BEV passenger buses, putting down more renewables per year than the rest of the world combined (this is true for wind AND solar PV AND hydro), etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We used t run a hackney and Taxi. Cost of servicing, and maintenance was substantial. Especially with a diesel.

• Advertisement

I know that the London taxis did not out well when they tried them here before.

But would the electric ones be any good ?

https://www.levc.com/tx-electric-taxi/

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/23/first-100-electric-black-cab-for-120-years-launches-in-london

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jcb21

My local taxi man has a leaf and he loves it. Says the savings on fuel are paying for the repayments on the car. He uses a fast charge during his break and says that normally lasts him the rest of his shift.

Here is three new full electric taxis ready for road , fitted out today as taxis by 

Robinson auto centre  

The Three EV’s below are getting very popular 

MG ZS 

KIA NERO 

VW ID4 PRO 

We have systems in place with a quick turn around to safely fit out your fully electric TAXI 

And keep you manufacture warranty intact.

If you have any query’s please cal 018571965

Looked up their Facebook page. Also have done a lovely looking white Enyaq , Zoe and a M3 along with several other ID4s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Delighted to see EV taxis getting more popular now. Grants are a big help but should have come on much earlier. The fact that taxis will be well able with EV should help to prove their worth to general public also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I've seen a blue Model 3 & 2 separate ID.4s, taxis, in the last few days, in Limerick. There are 2x dedicated DC chargers for them at the train station too.

About time too! BEV taxis in large urban centres are the textbook definition of a no-brainer.

White Model 3 taxi often here around Lucan and also a couple of ID.4

Fair play to the owners, it's weird that not more of them have copped onto this. Even without the subsidies, full EVs are a no brainer in cities like Kramer said.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You'd want to be hauling in serious bobs for many years to justify a non granted EV.

Not really. The fuel and maintenance savings are enormous if you do well above average annual mileage. And then there is the lack of down time because of ICE maintenance (time is money and the inconvenience of it). The depreciation on an EV is much lower too. And there's the convenience of not having to go out of your way and waste time by fueling up. When you can do it at home. The subsidy on top of all these benefits is like having your cake and eating it. Any EV taxi driver I have spoken to was a very happy man 😁

But yeah, I agree, it won't work if your EV taxi is just sitting on your drive apart from a Saturday night run and there either is not enough business because of COVID or you are too lazy to put in the hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Thank you vanilla.

How's Biko?

Logs back out...

Advertisement