Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Plan or Starlink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

brav wrote: »
    Vodafone don’t cap speed normally, but I would see that their fluctuates the most on the mast I’m on, but a mast that I know 2 other family members are on is stable enough,
    I’m 5k from a VF one, during day I get 70Mbps down, but say at 9pm that often drops to 10Mbps.

However the other mast about 7/8 Km away I get about 40Mbps during day and 20Mbps at peak times.

On the mast near me, Three would have best consistency prob due to lack of users but not as fast as Vodafone, usually 50Mbps at day and 30Mbps at peak

Maybe talking about this is derailing this thread slightly, but for those working from home and NBP still a bit away, no point paying Eir or whatever for 1Mbps when for cheaper you might get a local WISP or roll your own with 4G(personally I find the external modems like MikroTik LHG LTE6 the best for cases where you are more than 4/5k from mast)

Sorry, what I meant was that Vodafone is the only network with plans that throttle speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Why does every thread in here get sidetracked with 4G talk!

Ya sorry about that, it’s just when you see people in the sticks like me getting only 1Mbps and paying Eir prob €60 for it, thinking they have to get a satellite solution with €500 install and whatever high monthly price, not knowing that they is prob some mast nearby they could use instead, WISP or LTE for much less money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

SpaceX might be spinning off starlink in an IPO, would have huge resources to complete the job if it does I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Anyone hear about or using konnect? Seems to be my best option for WFH until NBP is rolled out in my area:
    https://europe.konnect.com/en-IE

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

actuar90 wrote: »
    Anyone hear about or using konnect? Seems to be my best option for WFH until NBP is rolled out in my area:

It's relatively new so there probably isn't that many subscribers here.
    A family member uses the previous service from Ka-Sat for working from home since last summer and is happy enough with it but beware Netflix etc will burn through your priority allowance quick enough.
    The plus with Konnect is the free install and equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

actuar90 wrote: »

I wonder how good it would be for video-conferencing. Presumably this is subject to the standard latency gotchas that all geostationary satellite internet is subject to. They even highlight the fact that it's _not_ suitable for realtime multiplayer gaming on their website.

More info in a press release here BTW:
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/eutelsat-reveals-new-100mbps-uk-broadband-satellite-plans.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭dam099

I wonder how good it would be for video-conferencing. Presumably this is subject to the standard latency gotchas that all geostationary satellite internet is subject to. They even highlight the fact that it's _not_ suitable for realtime multiplayer gaming on their website.

More info in a press release here BTW:
    https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/11/eutelsat-reveals-new-100mbps-uk-broadband-satellite-plans.html

I'd also wonder how well some WFH setups would work with lag in general. I am using a VPN and remote desktop which doesnt seem bandwidth intensive and my connection is FTTH so no lag issues, but I could see lag being an issue with satellite e.g. you move the mouse on your home PC and there is a lag to action getting to the remote desktop and updating back to your screen. I guess if you had no other option you would deal with it but it would annoy me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

I've got onto Konnect for further details of what happens when you go over the "prioritised data", I'd be concerned about speeds falling off a cliff ans throttled back to unusable again when would leave us in the same boat as we are in.

I spoke with one of the local resellers and he didn't even know what I was on about regarding prioritised data so I'll steer clear of that company for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

dam099 wrote: »
    I'd also wonder how well some WFH setups would work with lag in general. I am using a VPN and remote desktop which doesnt seem bandwidth intensive and my connection is FTTH so no lag issues, but I could see lag being an issue with satellite e.g. you move the mouse on your home PC and there is a lag to action getting to the remote desktop and updating back to your screen. I guess if you had no other option you would deal with it but it would annoy me personally.

VPN does not work well on satellite and it's not just the latency. It's the TCP spoofing, where the station on the ground returns TCP acknowledgments to bypass the TCP slow start algorithm and ramp up transfer speeds quickly. This can work well for browsing, giving the impression of much lower latency but messes up anything that needs the information in real time like VPN etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Newtown90 wrote: »
    I've got onto Konnect for further details of what happens when you go over the "prioritised data", I'd be concerned about speeds falling off a cliff ans throttled back to unusable again when would leave us in the same boat as we are in.

I spoke with one of the local resellers and he didn't even know what I was on about regarding prioritised data so I'll steer clear of that company for now...

From the T&C page here:
    https://europe.konnect.com/sites/europe/files/2020-12/ir_contract3.pdf
    The konnect Packages provide high-speed internet access of up to 30, 50 and 100 megabits per second (Mbps) download speed (data received by the Subscriber) for the konnect Easy, konnect Zen and konnect Max Packages, and up to 5Mbps upload speed (data sent by the Subscriber). These speeds are not guaranteed.Latency is between 500 and 600 milliseconds.
    With the konnect Easy, konnect Zen and konnect Max Packages, You have internet data consumption for which the traffic is prioritized up to 20Gb, 60Gb and 120Gb respectively, without guaranteed capacity. If You exceed 20Gb, 60Gb or 120Gb of data consumption, Yourconsumption may be prioritized after the consumption of other users of the Eutelsat S.A. network in case of congestion. Your data speed may be affected (please note, Your consumption is not counted at night from 01:00amto 06:00amlocal time for the calculation of Your prioritized data) until the start of the next monthly period of Your Package. The volume of prioritized data consumed is reset at the start of each new monthly period of Your Package. The volume of priority data not consumed within a given month is not carried over to the following month.
    Even in the event that You have not reached Your prioritized data limit, Your data speed may be reduced, particularly during peak use periods of the EUTELSAT KONNECT satellite networkby all users thereof,whether or not they are Eutelsat S.A. customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Starlink have added another 70 LEO satellites to the fleet over the last 5 days. They have another 300 planned between here and march, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlink#Launches

still awaiting the elusive beta test invitation here. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Irish addresses have been added to the starlink database and the starlink app has been added to the Irish Google Play store so we must be getting closer to availability of the beta trial in Ireland.

theguzman wrote: »
    Starlink have added another 70 LEO satellites to the fleet over the last 5 days.

The 10 launched today are the first into polar orbit, the FCC only recently issued them a limited trial licence for this lower altitude plane. Speculation is they're carrying the laser interlink hardware.

theguzman wrote: »
    Irish addresses have been added to the starlink database and the starlink app has been added to the Irish Google Play store so we must be getting closer to availability of the beta trial in Ireland.

The starlink consumer hardware is due to get ETSI approval later this year, I wonder if this applies to the beta kit?

The Cush wrote: »
    Article in The Currency (behind paywall)
    What will Elon Musk’s Starlink mean for the world (and Ireland’s costly and long-awaited National Broadband Plan)?

The founder of Tesla and SpaceX is working on ambitious plans to bring fast and cheap broadband to the world – and he has just got an Irish licence. As the country prepares to invest billions in building broadband infrastructure, could there be another way?

24th Nov, 2020

Starlink is registered with Comreg to provide an electronic communications network or an electronic communications service under a General Authorisation. Subscriber terminals are spectrum licence exempt.

https://serviceregister.comreg.ie/ (search => starlink)
    Provider Name: Starlink Internet Services Limited
    Trading As: Starlink Internet Services Limited
    Network Type: Satellite
    Service Type: Internet Access Services
    Area: Nationwide
    Commencement: 26/10/2020
    Register No.: 2700

https://serviceregister.comreg.ie/Services/ProviderDetails/2700

Anyone know if this is right ? : https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/k7jg2i/ireland_rollout_when/

I'm above 53 deg so I'm devastated!
    It's generally expected the coverage will expand down to roughly the 30° latitude at the end of January (quote).

Further expansion down beyond 30° to the equator will require additional launches (around 14 launches after L14).

North-of-53° and polar coverage will also require additional launches into polar orbits.

myshb5iyqg361.jpg

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is right ? : https://www.reddit.com/r/Starlink/comments/k7jg2i/ireland_rollout_when/

I'm above 53 deg so I'm devastated!

Elsewhere on reddit it says
    SpaceX plans to achieve near global coverage of the populated world by Q3 2021. The satellites "can provide service up to approximately 57° latitude; coverage to service points beyond this range will be provided by satellites included in SpaceX’s polar orbits." according to SpaceX filing.

Satellites in polar orbits need to be launched to cover Alaska and other areas higher than 57° latitude.

It will take a while for those waiting on polar orbiting sats, the FCC still hasn't granted approval for them to launch into the lower altitude polar orbits requested last year other than the 10 launched in Jan.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Heavens Above has a nice visualisation of all the Starlink satellites currently in orbit. You can get a sense of coverage as it currently stands from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are the long strings of sats in train around one orbit recent launches pending burns into final orbit or are they there as capacity boosters?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Are the long strings of sats in train around one orbit recent launches pending burns into final orbit or are they there as capacity boosters?

On their way to their final orbits, I believe it can take up to 3 months to reach their final location after launch.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Recent launches always look like tight trains. They drift carefully apart at first, then boost themselves into their final orbits using their onboard ion thrusters.

SpaceX's Starlink satellite internet service now has over 10,000 users

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

https://www.starlink.com/

Pre orders up now.
    Timeline for Ireland:
    Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. Availability is limited. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

brav wrote: »
    https://www.starlink.com/

Pre orders up now.
    Timeline for Ireland:
    Starlink is targeting coverage in your area in mid to late 2021. Availability is limited. Orders will be fulfilled on a first-come, first-served basis. You will receive a notification once your Starlink is ready to ship.

Expensive enough at €499 for the equipment and €99 a month, but if it actually works it probably would be worth the investment to me....let me sleep on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

I assume if it's shipping from the US that we'll get hit with all sorts of import fees on top?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Im just under the 53 degrees so it’ll work.
    I’m very tempted although in the village we have high speed broadband available, the incompetence of the installers means that we tried to get it installed in the past and they couldn’t navigate our old house and it’s thick walls. Price is really irrelevant when u need stable reliable broadband for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

screamer wrote: »
    I’m very tempted although in the village we have high speed broadband available, the incompetence of the installers means that we tried to get it installed in the past and they couldn’t navigate our old house and it’s thick walls. Price is really irrelevant when u need stable reliable broadband for work.

Hardly the installers fault - get an electrician in to get the basics sorted so the installers can run cable. It would end up much cheaper than Starlink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Expensive enough at €499 for the equipment and €99 a month, but if it actually works it probably would be worth the investment to me....let me sleep on it.

Insanely expensive especially when speeds cant be guaranteed. Uptake will be minimal at those prices for your everyday consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

screamer wrote: »

No offense, but if you have access to broadband. Then you should move hell and earth to get access from outside to inside your home. And forget satellite broadband. It's completely secondary if there is fibre options open to you.

Advertisement