Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

List of Renewed - Cancelled - Still under debate - Shows Announced (So Far...)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was looking at tvline last night and saw the articles for Wonder Years and Kate & Allie right beside each other. Are there really that few of ideas left?

i think there is so much content needed with so many platforms/channels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,889 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

American Gigolo

‘American Gigolo’: Leland Orser Joins Showtime Pilot Reboot
    Leland Orser (Brand New Cherry Flavor) is set as a lead opposite Jon Bernthal and Gretchen Mol in Showtime’s pilot American Gigolo, an update of the 1980 film noir classic that starred Richard Gere and Lauren Hutton. The project hails from David Hollander, Paramount TV Studios and Jerry Bruckheimer Television

Additionally, Sandrine Holt (House of Cards, The Returned) has joined the pilot as a guest star/recurring on series.

Written and directed by Hollander, American Gigolo the series is a present-day reimagining of the iconic film. It centers around Julian Kaye (Bernthal), who is introduced 18 years after he’s been arrested for murder and struggling to find his footing in the Los Angeles sex industry, while seeking the truth about the setup that sent him to prison all those years ago and also hoping to reconnect with Michelle (Mol), his one true love.

Orser plays Richard Stratton, a self-made tech billionaire who has fallen too deep into the untethered world of the ultra-wealthy, losing the love of his prized wife Michelle (Mol), and his grip on morality along the way.

Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced the original film, executive produces along with Hollander, Jonathan Littman and KristieAnne Reed. Bernthal also serves as a producer. The project is a production of Paramount Television Studios......

https://deadline.com/2021/01/american-gigolo-leland-orser-gretchen-mol-jon-bernthal-showtime-pilot-reboot-1234683708/

Leland Orser keeping busy.

Verbatim

Sara Gilbert, Rob Huebel & Leland Orser Among 7 Cast In HBO Max Pilot About The College Admission Scandal
    The Conners star and executive producer Sara Gilbert, Rob Huebel (Childrens Hospital), Leland Orser (Brand New Cherry Flavor), Lyriq Bent (Four Brothers), J.R. Cacia (Infidel), Tate Donovan (Respect) and Kevin Dunn (Above suspicion) have been cast opposite Chris Messina in HBO Max pilot Verbatim, an anthology series from Brett Weiner, Ben Stiller’s Red Hour Films, Left/Right Productions and the New York Times.

Verbatim, based on the New York Times Op-Docs digital series, tackles actual events with all dialogue taken from primary sources and presented verbatim. The pilot episode follows the story of the 2019 college admissions scandal.

The roles are not being revealed. Messina is believed to be playing the scheme’s ringleader Rick Singer, Gilbert is likely Laura Smith, the lead FBI investigator on the case who also is narrating the pilot; Orser, Donovan and Dunn may be playing three of the wealthy parents charged in the bribing scandal (Bill McGlashan, Bruce Isackson and John Wilson, respectively).

Because of the series’ anthology nature, I hear that, except for Messina, who is expected to link the different cases throughout the series, the rest of the cast are guest stars for the pilot only......

https://deadline.com/2021/01/verbatim-sara-gilbert-rob-huebel-leland-orser-lirtq-bent-j-r-cacia-tate-donovan-and-kevin-cast-in-hbo-max-pilot-college-admission-scandal-1234683598/

Frasier’ Revival Eyed at Paramount Plus

The long-rumored “Frasier” revival could soon be a reality at Paramount Plus.

Variety has confirmed with sources that a new iteration of “Frasier” is in discussions at the ViacomCBS streaming service, though those discussions are said to be in the very early stages.

Reps for CBS Studios and Paramount Plus declined to comment.

Series star Kelsey Grammer has been trying to get the revived show off the ground for some time. According to sources, one potential hangup for the show is the cost. After all, “Frasier” was a successful spinoff of the successful show “Cheers,” with both shows costing a pretty penny by the time they went off the air. Grammer and any other stars from the original series who would return for the revival would no doubt expect pay comparable to what they were making at the time the show ended.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/frasier-revival-paramount-plus-1234897318/

Sonic the Hedgehog Series Coming to Netflix in 2022

By Todd Spangler

Sonic the Hedgehog - Netflix Series
    Sega
    Sonic the Hedgehog is getting a brand-new 3D animated show on Netflix.

The 30-year-old character will be featured in “Sonic Prime,” a kids-and-family series from Sega of America and WildBrain, set to premiere worldwide on Netflix in 2022.

The 24-episode series features Sonic in an adventure where the fate of a strange new multiverse rests in his gloved hands — and also represents a “journey of self-discovery and redemption” for the speedy, blue spiny mammal.

“Sonic is a beloved character and holds a special place in everyone’s heart including my own,” Dominique Bazay, Netflix’s director of original animation, said in a statement. “I spent many hours with the Blue Blur as a kid and it’s a privilege to be able to bring this character everyone knows and loves on a brand new adventure with Netflix — one that a generation of loyal fans and brand new fans around the world can enjoy.”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/sonic-the-hedgehog-series-netflix-1234897211/

Amazon Lands Star-Studded Cast for 'Solos' Anthology

Uzo Aduba, Nicole Beharie, Morgan Freeman, Anne Hathaway, Anthony Mackie, Helen Mirren, Dan Stevens and Constance Wu will star in Solos, a drama from Hunters creator David Weil and Amazon Studios. The seven-part series, set to premiere later this year, will explore the deeper meaning of human connection through the lens of the individual.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/amazon-lands-star-studded-cast-for-solos-anthology

Wakanda

Ryan Coogler Stakes His Proximity Media Banner To 5-Year Exclusive Disney Television Deal; Wakanda Series In Works For Disney+
    he Walt Disney Company has extended its relationship with Black Panther director and co-writer Ryan Coogler. Disney has made a five-year overall exclusive television deal with Coogler’s Proximity Media, which he runs with principals Zinzi Coogler, Sev Ohanian, Ludwig Göransson, Archie Davis and Peter Nicks. Coogler, who is working on the Black Panther feature sequel he will direct this year, will develop new television series for the studio. The first one will delight Black Panther fans: a drama based in the Kingdom of Wakanda for Disney+. The deal also enables Proximity to develop television for other divisions of the Company.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/black-panther-ryan-coogler-wakanda-series-disney-plus-exclusive-disney-television-deal-proximity-media-1234684707/

The Midnight Club

The Haunting of Hill House EPs to Adapt The Midnight Club at Netflix
    The creators of The Haunting of Hill House and its follow-up, The Haunting of Bly Manor, are adapting Christopher Pike’s young adult novel The Midnight Club for Netflix, the streaming service announced Monday. Though Pike is known for penning horror stories, The Midnight Club takes place in a hospice for terminally ill teens and young adults and is known for its moving, emotional story.

https://tvline.com/2021/02/01/the-midnight-club-tv-series-netflix-zach-gilford-cast-season-1/

Kevin Costner ‘National Parks’ Drama Gets ABC Pilot Order, Anthony Hemingway to Direct

ABC has given a pilot order to the drama “National Parks,” which hails from Kevin Costner.

The project was first announced as being in development at ABC in Dec. 2019. Anthony Hemingway is now attached to executive produce and direct the pilot via Anthony Hemingway Productions.

“Our partners at ABC, 20th Television and A+E Studios have given me a great environment to step out of my comfort zone and deliver something special,” Costner said.

Per the series official logline, while the national parks are known for their sweeping, beautiful landscapes, there is also a darker, more sinister side to these parks that attract a vast array of criminal activity. “National Parks” will follow the small group of elite NPS agents as they solve these crimes while protecting these national treasures.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/kevin-costner-national-parks-abc-pilot-anthony-hemingway-1234897744/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

peteeeed wrote: »
    Tiffany Haddish Presents: They Ready part 2
    Hand-picked by Tiffany Haddish, six diverse comedians showcase their raw humor in a series of specials oozing with energy.

Our Lady of San Juan, Four Centuries of Miracles
    In this dramatization, the Virgin Mary works a miracle on a girl in 1623 Mexico. Four centuries later, a family make a pilgrimage for their own child.

Kid Cosmic season 1
    A boy's superhero dreams come true when he finds five powerful cosmic stones. But saving the day is harder than he imagined -- and he can't do it alone.

Mighty Express Season 2
    Catch a ride with the Mighty Express -- a team of trains and their kid friends who overcome trouble on the tracks with quick thinking and teamwork!

added
    That's a great turnaround on renewals - they're already up on Netflix this morning :pac:

ixoy wrote: »
    That's a great turnaround on renewals - they're already up on Netflix this morning :pac:

balls

‘Quiz,’ ‘Brexit’ Writer James Graham Sets BBC Drama ‘Sherwood’

James Graham, creator of hit ITV, AMC and Sony show “Quiz,” and writer of Emmy nominated “Brexit: The Uncivil War,” has created crime drama “Sherwood” for U.K. broadcaster BBC.

Inspired in part by real events, the six-part series is set in the Nottinghamshire mining village where Graham grew up. The contemporary series sees two murders shatter an already fractured community leading to one of the largest manhunts in British history. Suspicion is rife and the tragic murders threaten to inflame historic divisions sparked during the miners’ strike that tore families apart three decades before.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/quiz-brexit-james-graham-bbc-sherwood-1234898134/

Michael Imperioli, Alec Berg to Develop HBO Series With Imperioli Set to Star

Michael Imperioli could soon be back in the HBO fold.

Variety has learned exclusively that Imperioli has teamed with Alec Berg to develop a scripted series which they will co-write with Imperioli also set to star. The untitled project is described as a meta blend of fact and fiction loosely based on Imperioli’s experiences as a practicing Buddhist.

Both Imperioli and Berg will serve as executive producers in addition to co-writing. Amy Solomon, who runs Berg’s production company, will also serve as an executive producer.

Imperioli is best known for his role as Christopher Moltisanti in the seminal HBO drama “The Sopranos.” He was nominated for five Emmy Awards and two Golden Globes during his time on the series, winning the Emmy for best supporting actor in a drama in 2004. He also wrote five episodes of the series. He can currently be seen in Regina King’s critically-acclaimed feature “One Night in Miami,” with his other feature credits including “The Last Full Measure,” “Goodfellas,” “Cabaret Maxime,” and “Summer of Sam,” the last of which he co-wrote. On the TV side, he recently starred in NBC’s “Lincoln Rhyme: Hunt for the Bone Collector.”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/michael-imperioli-alec-berg-hbo-1234898249/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

The CW has renewed large amount of shows including new series, Walker.

The list of shows confirmed to return for the 2021-22 TV season includes The Flash (Season 8), Riverdale (Season 6), DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (Season 7), All American (Season 4), Charmed (Season 4), Legacies (Season 4), In the Dark (Season 4), Roswell, New Mexico (Season 4), Batwoman (Season 3) Nancy Drew (Season 3) and, yes, Dynasty (Season 5).

https://tvline.com/2021/02/03/cw-renewed-shows-2021-list-flash-riverdale-walker/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus I thought Batwoman was toast. I wouldn't have put money on Walker being renewed either.

The CW has renewed large amount of shows including new series, Walker.

The list of shows confirmed to return for the 2021-22 TV season includes The Flash (Season 8), Riverdale (Season 6), DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (Season 7), All American (Season 4), Charmed (Season 4), Legacies (Season 4), In the Dark (Season 4), Roswell, New Mexico (Season 4), Batwoman (Season 3) Nancy Drew (Season 3) and, yes, Dynasty (Season 5).
    Dang it, I'm stuck with 'The Flash' - I can't let go of it.
    With the trouble of filming new pilots and all, it's not a big surprise they're doing renewals. CW's always been pretty good for this, for better or worse.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Jesus I thought Batwoman was toast. I wouldn't have put money on Walker being renewed either.
    Walker's their highest rated show since December 2018. Not surprised they renewed it. Zero interest in it but looks like others do.

All cheap and cheerful to make and probably big sellers around the world for the CW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure Walker's numbers are from a combination of tuning in out of curiosity and seeing Sam Winchester. I'd say numbers will decline in the coming weeks.
    As for Batwoman, I guess I could expect the renewal. After going to the bother of replacing Kate/Ruby, they're not gonna cancel the show where the lead actress/character is now a black lesbian.
    The one that surprises me is Legends. Always struck me as a series constantly on the bubble. Probably helps they're losing Supergirl and Black Lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Walker was nothing more than everyone jumping on board after Supernatural expecting greatness
    Then watching the second episode hoping it would get better

Some terrible reviews, actually a lot of terrible reviews from critics and public alike - can see its numbers plummeting - I couldn't even finish the second episode its that bad

• Advertisement

Like I said in the Walker thread, it seemed like the second episode was only made after the first was screened and feedback was received. Seemed to be some attempt at course correction so going to give it a couple more episodes to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »

I'd say Walker has Supernatural viewers

Netflix Expands Slate of Kids Animated Programs With ‘Daniel Spellbound’ Series

Kids (and children at heart), prepare to be mystified: Netflix has summoned “Daniel Spellbound,” a new CG-animated series about a young seller of rare magical goods to sorcerers and sorceresses in modern-day New York City. The show will be produced in collaboration with creator and director Matt Fernandes (“Dino Ranch,” “Remy & Boo,” “Kingdom Force”), co-founder of Toronto-based studio Industrial Brothers.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/netflix-daniel-spellbound-series-animated-kids-1234900606/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Legends surprises me a bit, thought it was coming to an end but that's great, it's 1 of my favourite shows. I'd say Flash and Batwoman are nice episode numbers, cheap to make and on a nice license deal with DC.

Renee Zellweger Set to Star in NBC Drama ‘The Thing About Pam’

NBC has given a straight to series order to crime drama “The Thing About Pam,” with Renee Zellweger set to executive produce and star.

The six-episode true-crime series from Blumhouse Television, NBC News Studios and Zellweger’s Big Picture Co. is based on the 2011 murder of Betsy Faria, which was explored on the NBC news magazine “Dateline” and in a 201 podcast.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/renee-zellweger-nbc-1234901160/

‘Impractical Jokers’Renewed for Season 10 at truTV Ahead of Season 9 along with a first look deal on other shows

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/warnermedia-strikes-first-look-deal-with-impractical-jokers-stars-1234901059/

Wynonna Earp to End Syfy Run With Back Half of Season 4

https://tvline.com/2021/02/05/wynonna-earp-cancelled-no-season-5/

Y: 1883

Yellowstone Prequel Series in the Works at Paramount+

Yeehaw! Yellowstone’s origin story is soon to be told.

ViacomCBS and MTV Entertainment Group announced Friday that not only had they extended their deal with the series’ creator, Taylor Sheridan, they’ve set in motion a prequel series, to stream on Paramount+ (currently known as CBS All Access) in 2021.

Per the official logline: Y: 1883 “follows the Dutton family as they embark on a journey west through the Great Plains toward the last bastion of untamed America. It is a stark retelling of Western expansion, and an intense study of one family fleeing poverty to seek a better future in America’s promised land — Montana.”

Knowing Sheridan’s work on Yellowstone, it will also be… absolutely badass

https://tvline.com/2021/02/05/yellowstone-prequel-series-y-1883-greenlit-paramount-plus/

SYFY’s Wynonna Earp Concluding With Fourth Season

Just a month ahead of the second half of the season premiering on the network, SYFY has announced that the fourth season of the well-received Western horror series Wynonna Earp will mark the end of its run and announcing a March premiere date for its final six episodes.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1162944-syfys-wynonna-earp-concluding-with-fourth-season

BBC/SundanceTV’s ‘The Split’ to Call It Quits After Season Three

BBC One and SundanceTV have ordered a third and final season of Sister’s “The Split,” created by BAFTA and International Emmy-winning writer Abi Morgan and produced by Jane Featherstone (“Chernobyl”), Lucy Dyke (“Black Mirror”) and Lucy Richer (“Small Axe”), with Dee Koppang O’Leary (“Bridgerton,” “The Crown”) boarding as lead director.

Unspooling in London’s high-end divorce circuit, “The Split” follows the lives of the Defoe sisters, Hannah, Nina and Rose, and their imposing mother Ruth. Season two ended with divorce lawyer Hannah’s own marriage in tatters and the couple negotiating the terms of their own split. As the dust seems to be settling, a new revelation comes to light, and the balances are tipped.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/the-split-bbc-sundancetv-1234903123/

• Advertisement

Dan Harmon Sets Animated Ancient Greece Comedy Series at Fox

Dan Harmon has set up the first series under his broadcast network-only exclusive direct animation deal with Fox Entertainment.

The untitled series is set in mythical ancient Greece. It centers on a flawed family of humans, gods and monsters that tries to run one of the world’s first cities without killing each other. Fox is targeting a 2022 debut for the show. Voice casting is currently underway and will be announced in the coming months.

As part of Harmon’s deal with Fox, Fox Entertainment will fully finance and wholly own the series, with Fox’s Bento Box Entertainment providing the animation. It is the first series to move forward under Fox’s broadcast direct model.

“Leave it to Dan Harmon to turn the mythos of early Greek civilization into remarkably sharp commentary on today’s politics, celebrity and pop culture,” said Michael Thorn, president of entertainment for Fox Entertainment. “This project is an incredibly irreverent family comedy as told by one of the town’s most inventive storytellers. We are proud to be partnered with Dan on this series, which strengthens our hold on the animation space and, as we continue to build Fox Entertainment, marks an important first step for us with our first fully-owned scripted property.”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dan-harmon-ancient-greece-comedy-series-fox-1234903322/

The 4400 Reboot Gets Straight-to-Series Order at The CW

https://tvline.com/2021/02/09/the-4400-cw-series-order/

Live-Action Powerpuff Girls, Naomi Comic Adaptation From Ava DuVernay, Nun Dramedy Get CW Pilot Orders

https://tvline.com/2021/02/09/the-powerpuff-girls-live-action-series-pilot-order-the-cw/

List of currently announced pilots

https://tvline.com/lists/pilot-season-abc-cbs-cw-fox-nbc-2021-2022/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Liked the 4400 - why a reboot when it got cancelled on a cliffhanger

The Hot Zone: Anthrax

Harry Hamlin To Play Tom Brokaw, Dylan Baker Also Cast In Nat Geo Series
    The Hot Zone: Anthrax takes place in 2001, just weeks after 9/11, where another deadly act of terrorism rocked the United States. Letters containing anthrax were sent to unsuspecting victims in Florida, Washington, D.C. and New York. The anonymous assault claimed five lives and caused panic throughout the country. Despite interagency turf wars and many false leads, an unlikely team of scientists, FBI agents and government departments slowly closed in on a shocking prime suspect.

Hamlin will portray Tom Brokaw, the respected journalist and anchor for NBC News. On camera, Brokaw is the steady voice of reason for a post-9/11 nation. Off camera, he is a protective father figure to those who work for him. Brokaw himself became a part of the anthrax story when a letter addressed to him contained a lethal amount of anthrax, sickening two of his assistants.

Baker will play Ed Copak, a high-ranking FBI lifer. His department is rocked by the recent events of 9/11 and is now charged with finding the anthrax killer. He feels the weight of responsibility for getting justice for a wounded nation.

Hamlin and Baker join previously cast Tony Goldwyn and Daniel Dae Kim who play, respectively, Bruce Ivins, a brilliant microbiologist who becomes embroiled in the hunt to find the 2001 anthrax killer, and Matthew Ryker, an FBI agent with a specialty in microbiology, who, just three weeks after the 9/11 attacks, risks his career to convince his superiors of the unthinkable, that the United States is under attack again.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/the-hot-zone-anthrax-harry-hamlin-cast-tom-brokaw-dylan-baker-nat-geo-anthology-series-1234690117/

Leopard Skin

Carla Gugino To Star In Crime Thriller Series ‘Leopard Skin’
    Carla Gugino, who recently starred in The Haunting of Bly Manor, will front a television crime thriller for AGC Television.

The company, which makes Epix’s War of the Worlds, is producing and financing Leopard Skin with production underway in the Dominican Republic.

There is no network attached yet and AGC will begin discussions with broadcast and streaming partners when the show is in post-production.

The series comes from Sebastian Gutierrez, who wrote the screenplay for Snakes on a Plane and created Cinemax series Jett. He serves as showrunner with Lantica Studios providing production services

The cast also includes Amelia Eve (The Haunting of Bly Manor), Gentry White (UnReal), Philip Winchester (Law & Order: SVU), Margot Bingham (The Walking Dead), Gaite Jansen (Jett), Nora Arnezeder (Safe House), and Ana de la Reguera (Narcos).

https://deadline.com/2021/02/carla-gugino-series-leopard-skin-agc-television-1234689942/

Mare Of Easttown

Guy Pearce Joins HBO Limited Series ‘Mare Of Easttown’, Reuniting With Kate Winslet
    A decade after Kate Winslet and Guy Pearce co-starred together on the HBO miniseries Mildred Pierce, the two are reteaming on another longform project at the premium cable network

Pearce has been tapped to co-star opposite Winslet in Mare of Easttown, HBO’s limited series focused on family and community, which is a co-production of HBO and wiip. He replaces Ben Miles who had been originally cast in the role but left due to scheduling conflicts over a year ago.

Written and executive produced by Brad Inglesby, who also serves as showrunner, Mare Of Easttown stars Winslet as Mare Sheehan, a small-town Pennsylvania detective whose life crumbles around her as she investigates a local murder.

Pearce plays Richard Ryan, a visiting creative writing professor who wrote a dazzling novel that won the National Book Award 25 years ago, but he has never lived up to his early promise.

The cast also includes Julianne Nicholson, Jean Smart, Angourie Rice, Evan Peters, Cailee Spaeny David Denman, John Douglas Thompson, Patrick Murney, James McArdle, Sosie Bacon, Joe Tippett and Neal Huff.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/guy-pearce-joins-mare-of-easttown-hbo-limited-series-kate-winslet-reunion-1234690570/

1984 Heads To TV As Wiip Adapts The Shocking Stage Show Based On George Orwell’s Iconic Novel
    George Orwell’s iconic dystopian story 1984 is to become a television series after former ABC chief Paul Lee’s independent studio wiip optioned the rights to Robert Icke and Duncan Macmillan’s 2013 stage show of the same name.

There have been a number of attempts to adapt 1984 for a contemporary screen audience and wiip is the latest out of the gates, working with Icke and Macmillan to transform their 100-minute theatre production into a five-part limited series.

The stage show, based on Orwell’s 1947 science fiction novel, first launched at the Nottingham Playhouse in 2013 and enjoyed three separate runs on the West End. It played at the Hudson Theatre on Broadway in 2017, starring Olivia Wilde and Tom Sturridge.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/wiip-george-orwell-1984-stage-show-1234671842/

ECHO (Drama)
    WRITER: JJ Bailey
    OTHER EPs: John Davis, John Fox
    A high-concept, genre procedural revolving around a team of investigators who solve the highest-profile crimes by sending our heroes into the past… in the body of the victim. Assuming the victim’s identity, they must race against time to prevent the crime before it happens.

An idea the investigators came up with after watching Quantum Leap?

Search Party’ Renewed For Season 5 By HBO Max

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Liked the 4400 - why a reboot when it got cancelled on a cliffhanger
    Agreed. There's two novels written that do pretty much tidy up the outstanding plotlines - just avoid the last chapter though as it opens a new can of, never resolved, worms.

a bit more on the switch for toast of London to the bbc from channel 4

Actor and writer Matt Berry is going to Hollywood, and moving to the BBC, with “Toast of Tinseltown,” the fourth season of the sitcom that won him a BAFTA for best male comedy performance.

“Toast of London,” written by Arthur Mathews and Berry, played for three seasons from 2013 through 2015 on U.K. broadcaster Channel 4 and IFC in the U.S. The new, six-part season will air on BBC One and iPlayer. It will see Berry reprising the role of Steven Toast, an eccentric and arrogant actor determined to win the recognition he mistakenly believes he deserves, as he moves to Hollywood and attempts to become a movie star.

The new season will feature a mix of new and returning cast members and is set to be filmed later this year. It is produced by All3Media’s Objective Fiction, in association with Wiip.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/global/matt-berry-toast-bbc-hollywood-1234904787/

Redwall

Netflix Takes Rights To ‘Redwall’ Books & Plots Animated Films, TV Series Based On Brian Jacques’ Stories
    Netflix has snapped up the rights to Brian Jacques’ entire series of Redwall books and is plotting an animated feature film and TV series based on the animal adventure franchise.

Netflix inked a deal with Penguin Random House Children for the rights to the books, which have sold 30 million copies worldwide and chronicle the adventures of the heroic animals that inhabit the forest haven of Redwall Abbey.

It is the first time that the film rights to the entire series of books have been held by one company and Netflix has already set to work adapting the stories, signing up Patrick McHale to write a feature. McHale created Cartoon Network’s Over the Garden Wall and is working on Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio.

Netflix is also plotting a TV series based on the character of Martin the Warrior, a wise and ferocious mouse who co-founded Redwall Abbey along with Abbess Germaine.

“Brian often travelled the globe to tell his Redwall stories to young audiences, more often than not at their schools,” said Alan Ingram, representative of The Redwall Abbey Company, which owns Jacques’ intellectual property after he died in 2011.

“Brian would have been very happy to see that Netflix shares his joy and desire to bring his stories to life as a new universe of films, series and potentially much more for audiences of all ages to enjoy.”

https://deadline.com/2021/02/netflix-redwall-brian-jacques-1234691020/

Red Bird Lane

Psychological Thriller Pilot Not Going Forward At HBO Max
    HBO Max has opted not to proceed with Red Bird Lane, its drama pilot starring Susan Sarandon.

Red Bird Lane, written by Sara Gran and directed by David Slade, is a psychological thriller that follows eight strangers who arrive at an isolated house, all for different reasons. Upon their mysterious and coincidental arrival, the strangers realize that something sinister and terrifying awaits them.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/red-bird-lane-pilot-dead-not-going-forward-hbo-max-susan-sarandon-1234691003/

Clone High & Velma

‘Clone High’ Reboot, Mindy Kaling ‘Scooby Doo’ Spinoff Velma & Pete Davidson Mars Comedy Set At HBO Max As Streamer Ramps Up Adult Animation
    HBO Max is doubling down on adult animation and has ordered three series and set a bustling development slate.

The streamer has handed a two-season order to Clone High, the reboot of the classic MTV series with Phil Lord, Chris Miller and Bill Lawrence, and ordered Velma with Mindy Kaling set as lead voice star and exec producer and Fired On Mars from Pete Davidson.

These projects are the latest to be ordered by HBO Max, which also has Harley Quinn, The Prince, Santa Inc., 10 Year Old Tom and The Boondocks. Last month, it also introduced a new landing page for animation.

Clone High, a reboot of the 2002 series set at a high school for clones of historical figures, comes from MTV Entertainment Studios. Lord and Miller are set as executive producers and writers, Lawrence is executive producer with Erica Rivinoja, who wrote on the original Clone High, named as showrunner.

Lord and Miller began their careers with writing, directing and executive producing Clone High, whose concept the duo first developed while at Dartmouth College in the 1990s, alongside Lawrence in 2002.

Velma tells the origin story of Velma Dinkley, the unsung and underappreciated brains of the Scooby-Doo Mystery Inc. gang. Voiced and exec produced by Kaling, Charlie Grandy, Howard Klein and Sam Register also serve as executive producers. It comes from Warner Bros. Animation.

https://deadline.com/2021/02/clone-high-reboot-mindy-kaling-scooby-doo-spinoff-velma-pete-davidson-mars-comedy-hbo-max-adult-animation-1234690967/

HBO Scraps Mike Judge Comedy Shows ‘Qualityland,’ ‘A5’

HBO has decided to drop two Mike Judge comedy shows that the premium cable network ordered from the “Silicon Valley” co-creator and showrunner in 2019, Variety has confirmed.

The shows were ordered as part of a two-year overall deal that encompassed all forms of television except for animation. The decision comes as Judge has been overseeing the reimagining of “Beavis and Butt-Head” for Comedy Central as part of an animation deal with the ViacomCBS network. The cancelation also arrives as HBO programming president Casey Bloys is refocusing on reviewing programming for both HBO and HBOMax.

The first project, formerly a co-production between HBO and Lionsgate, is titled “Qualityland.” It is based on the novel of the same name by Marc Uwe-King and is about “the story of humanity’s struggle against the tyranny of convenience. But funny,” the official description for the series states. Judge and Josh Lieb were slated to serve as writers and executive producers, with Michael Rotenberg of 3 Arts Entertainment also executive producing.

The second show that was scrapped, a limited comedy series entitled “A5,” is centered on a bioengineer who discovers the gene that makes a person an a-hole and attempts to discover the reason behind the existence of a-holes, and whether or not there’s a cure for this unpleasant affliction. Judge and Etan Cohen co-wrote the series and were set to executive produce with Rotenberg also executive producing.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/hbo-mike-judge-qualityland-a5-1234905257/

• Advertisement

The Essex Serpent

Claire Danes Sets First Post-Homeland Role in Apple TV+'s The Essex Serpent
    Carrie Mathison’s spying days may be over, but Claire Danes isn’t done with TV just yet.

The Emmy-winning Homeland alum has signed on to star in the Apple TV+ period drama The Essex Serpent, the streamer announced on Wednesday. Based on the bestselling novel by Sarah Perry and set in Victorian England, the series centers on Cora (Danes), a widow recovering from an abusive marriage who moves from London to the small village of Aldwinter and becomes “intrigued by a local superstition that a mythical creature known as the Essex Serpent has returned to the area.”

Anna Symon (Mrs. Wilson) will serve as lead writer on the project, with Clio Bernard (Dark River) as director. Danes replaces Keira Knightley in the lead role; Knightley was originally announced as the star when Apple ordered it to series in August, but later had to drop out of the project for family reasons due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Danes already has a prolific TV career under her belt: She first broke out as teen Angela Chase on the short-lived ABC drama My So-Called Life, earning a Golden Globe and an Emmy nomination in 1995. She went on to star in the HBO original movie Temple Grandin in 2010, earning a Globe and an Emmy for her portrayal of the autistic title character, before taking on the role of CIA spy Carrie Mathison on the Showtime drama Homeland the following year. Danes won two Emmys and was nominated for three more for Homeland; this marks the first role for Danes since Homeland wrapped up its eight-season run last year.

https://tvline.com/2021/02/10/claire-danes-the-essex-serpent-recast-keira-knightley-apple/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Redwall

Netflix Takes Rights To ‘Redwall’ Books & Plots Animated Films, TV Series Based On Brian Jacques’ Stories

https://deadline.com/2021/02/netflix-redwall-brian-jacques-1234691020/

I thought that deal was made early last year?

Have I been seeing the future again?

The upcoming “The Last of Us” series adaptation at HBO has cast Pedro Pascal as Joel and Bella Ramsey in the role of Ellie, Variety has confirmed.

Neil Druckmann, a writer and creative director for “The Last of Us” video game and a co-creator of the series, confirmed the news about Pascal on Twitter, writing: “Aaaaand there’s the other half. Stoked to have Pedro aboard our show!”

Pascal has seen great success as the star of Disney Plus’ “The Mandalorian.” He also recently appeared alongside Gal Gadot and Kristen Wiig as the villainous Maxwell Lord in “Wonder Woman 1984.”

Ramsey is best known for her role as Lyanna Mormont in fellow HBO series “Game of Thrones.” The character Ellie is a 14-year old orphan who has never known anything but a ravaged planet. In the show, she struggles to balance her instinct for anger and defiance with her need for connection and belonging as well as the newfound reality that she may be the key to saving the world.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the-last-of-us-hbo-series-cast-bella-ramsey-ellie-1234905508/

‘True Lies’ Series Adaptation Gets CBS Pilot Order

Like the film of the same, an unfulfilled suburban housewife is shocked to discover that her bland and unremarkable computer consultant husband is a skilled international spy. She is propelled into a life of danger and adventure when she’s recruited to work alongside him to save the world as they try to revitalize their passionless marriage.

This is the second attempt to adapt “True Lies” into a series. Fox previously gave a series version of the project a put pilot commitment back in 2017. The “True Lies” film was released in 1994 and starred Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold, Bill Paxton, Tia Carrere, Art Malik, Eliza Dushku, and Grant Heslov. It was a box office success, grossing over $378 million worldwide.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/true-lies-series-adaptation-cbs-pilot-1234905581/

David Benioff, D.B. Weiss to Develop Richard Powers Novel ‘The Overstory’ as Netflix Series

“Game of Thrones” creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss are developing a series adaptation of the Richard Powers novel “The Overstory” at Netflix, Variety has learned.

Richard Robbins, whose past TV credits include “12 Monkeys” and “Good Girls Revolt,” wrote the pilot script and serves as executive producer. Benioff and Weiss will executive produce under their sizable Netflix overall deal. Hugh Jackman will also executive produce along with Bernie Caulfield of Benioff and Weiss’s Bighead Littlehead production banner. Powers is set to serve as co-executive producer.

The novel was originally published in 2018 and went on to win the Pulitzer Prize. It tells the story of a world alongside ours that is vast, interconnected, resourceful, magnificently inventive, and almost invisible to us. A handful of disparate people learn how to see that world and are drawn into its unfolding catastrophe.

“The Overstory” is the latest series announcement for Benioff and Weiss since they signed their Netflix deal in 2019. They are also writers and executive producers on the Netflix series adaptation of the sci-fi book trilogy “The Three-Body Problem” alongside fellow writer and executive producer Alexander Woo. Rian Johnson also serves as executive producer along with Brad Pitt and Rosamund Pike among many others.

Benioff and Weiss are also executive producers on the half-hour dramedy “The Chair” starring Sandra Oh from showrunner and executive producer Amanda Peet. That show recently announced much of its main cast, which will include Jay Duplass, Bob Balaban, David Morse, and Nana Mensah alongside Oh.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/david-benioff-db-weiss-the-overstory-netflix-1234905521/

• Advertisement
Advertisement