Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garlic Mayo/Sauce recommendations?

• 04-02-2021 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

garlic mayo/sauce recommendations please?

Hellmans roasted garlic - anyone had it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭con747

This is a nice 1, great reviews in the food forum. https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/298231092
    I like Crucials garlic mayo as well https://www.porkys.market/gluten-free/crucials-sauces. Some Supermarket own brands are fairly good as well. The best 1 you will get is a homemade 1 IMO though. I tried the Hellman's and it was ok, nothing special.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

2 tbls heinz mayo 2 crushed cloves garlic
    1 tbls water.
    Tinker with ratio.
    For Falafel white sauce add 1 teaspoon dry marjoram , pinchh herbs provencale, pepper.

Best one.
    Heinz mayo, add finely chopped Jalapeno peppers from a jar,
    Perfect for burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭yamaha4life

Lynchs garlic mayo is decent stocked in dunnes
    I usually have at least two jars of roast garlic and herb from lidl find it the best that ive tried anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I often make the garlic sauce from Cooking Club doner kebab recipe, it's quick and easy.

3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon natural yogurt
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    pinch of salt
    pinch of dried mixed herbs
    1 tablespoon water

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

thanks for all the replies...

not interested in making my own.. but thanks..
    not a lover of Heinz products but might give it a lash if I can't get the Hellmans roasted garlic one.. (none in my local tesco)..
    don't think I can get the Crucials brand down here..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I often make the garlic sauce from Cooking Club doner kebab recipe, it's quick and easy.

3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon natural yogurt
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    pinch of salt
    pinch of dried mixed herbs
    1 tablespoon water
    This is the one I make too and its lovely.

Shop bought, SuperValu do Abrakebabra garlic sauce. Eddie Rockets also sell garlic sauce in a bottle. I don't find either to be very like the sauce you get from the place, but it's quite tasty regardless.

cee_jay wrote: »
    This is the one I make too and its lovely.

Shop bought, SuperValu do Abrakebabra garlic sauce. Eddie Rockets also sell garlic sauce in a bottle. I don't find either to be very like the sauce you get from the place, but it's quite tasty regardless.

thanks for that - will have a look for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Paulzx wrote: »

That's the one a lot of chippers use.

Paulzx wrote: »

can you get it in retail? i know blenders supply a lot of the catering industry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

sporina wrote: »
    can you get it in retail? i know blenders supply a lot of the catering industry

You can get them in the Chinese wholesalers.

Think there is one out in ballymount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Lidl do a really delicious roasted garlic and black pepper mayonnaise, it’s part of their deluxe range. I always have a jar in my fridge.

You can get them in the Chinese wholesalers.

Think there is one out in ballymount.

i don't live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

Home grown garlic(nothing like it)
    Fresh squeezed lemon
    Tiny drop of extra Virgin olive oil

Crush garlic on a mini herb grating plate the oil makes this a little easier and add lemon its soo simple but very versatile strong you can't buy this stuff,add parsley or chives from garden to

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Stokes garlic mayo is nice.
    Sherridans sell it.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Stokes garlic mayo is nice.
    Sherridans sell it.

where is this?

where is this?

Sherridans the cheese shop, I've only found them in Dublin and Galway

To be honest, it's nice enough, but it's a bit pricey. Nothing too different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sheridans are in some Dunnes supermarkets, and you can buy online from them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Dunnes bandon road has a sheridans sporina.

The hellman's roasted garlic I found way too sweet personally, and not very garlicky. But I don't like hellmans anyway. Prefer heinz or homemade.

I crush a clove of garlic and stir it into mayo or yoghurt, but yeah, sometimes that's not a faff you want.

The nicest shop bought one I've tried is Taste Of Goodness garlic mayo, it's made in Kilkenny and according to Google you can get it in Supervalu.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/health-wellness-gluten-free-taste-goodness-garlic-mayo-450-ml-/p-1489336004

Dealz also seem to be stocking it now, according to their Facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/tasteofgoodnesssauces/photos/a.3883748774970531/3926440247368050/

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies... will look out for Lynches, Stokes and Taste of Goodness.. see what I can find here in Cork City..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You can get the Blenders one in here, too: http://thefoodcentre.co/ - they have those industrial sized buckets, but also "smaller" 5l containers, too. Another good one is the Dunnes one, but I haven't seen it in ages.

Has anyone tried making the garlic sauce that is basically garlic in an oil/water emulsion?

I don't have a food processor, just a nutribullet. I'm not sure if that will work.

I just remembered Nature's Oils - their garlic mayo is amazing. Up here Dublin Meat Company sell it, but a lot of other butchers do too. Mid Cork Foods distribute it down your way OP.

http://midcorkfoods.com/natures-oils/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

thanks for all the replies...

not interested in making my own.. but thanks..
    not a lover of Heinz products but might give it a lash if I can't get the Hellmans roasted garlic one.. (none in my local tesco)..
    don't think I can get the Crucials brand down here..

I get Crucials in Iceland over here (UK). They must think I'm weird as that and the Sciracha sauce is the only things I buy in the place. I may be wrong but I'd be surprised if there were no Iceland shops down there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried making the garlic sauce that is basically garlic in an oil/water emulsion?

I don't have a food processor, just a nutribullet. I'm not sure if that will work.

I'd say the Nutribullet would work quite well.

New Home wrote: »
    I'd say the Nutribullet would work quite well.

Thanks. I must try it.

I think that is what's used in traditional shawarma, rather than the artificial creamy stuff used on kebabs here.

They have a name for it in Lebanon, which I forget, but it is essentially the Arabic name for garlic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I like a runny garlic sauce, like the kind you get in Eddie Rockets.

Would any of the recommendations here fit that bill?

I think the closest would be the one in the Cooking Club.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies... will look out for Lynches, Stokes and Taste of Goodness.. see what I can find here in Cork City..

yep :)

thanks

gotta get shopping..

Advertisement