Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garlic Mayo/Sauce recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I think the closest would be the one in the Cooking Club.

The kebab sauce?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes, the white one is quite runny and extremely garlicky. A friend of mine who I shared the recipe with makes it every week and has it with fish, chicken etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes, the white one is quite runny and extremely garlicky. A friend of mine who I shared the recipe with makes it every week and has it with fish, chicken etc.

Is it this?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057395904/1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes. The white kebab sauce. It's so easy to make but it has a mighty flavour.

sporina, have you had any luck finding one you're happy with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

sporina, have you had any luck finding one you're happy with?

not got any yet.. ekk.. the craving went away lol..

but I do plan to go to DS Bishopstown some day I have a chance to get the Stoke's brand in their Sheirdans dept.. it sounds fab.. wanna try that first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The Abrakebabra garlic sauce is the nicest I've tasted, quite thick though but you could mix it with water I guess to change the consistency. I had the Eddie Rockets wing sauce last night, really enjoyed it, made a pleasant change from Franks Hot Sauce.

The Abrakebabra garlic sauce is the nicest I've tasted, quite thick though but you could mix it with water I guess to change the consistency. I had the Eddie Rockets wing sauce last night, really enjoyed it, made a pleasant change from Franks Hot Sauce.

thanks - i don't like the look of the ingredients list on the Abrakababra one though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

sporina wrote: »
    thanks - i don't like the look of the ingredients list on the Abrakababra one though..

I didn't look tbh, tastes good though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You could make your own mayonaisse. It's incredibly simple. I've only started doing it and can't believe I haven't been doing it for years.

Belgian style mayonaisse:
    2 egg yolks.
    2 tsp of mustard
    1tsp of white vinegar

Whisk this together.

Add sunflower or veg oil, while constantly whisking. A few drops at time at first, making sure it emulsifies properly. The more oil you add the thicker it will get. Stop at whatever consistency you want.

Season with salt and pepper. You can add garlic, chipotle or whatever you want at this point.

You can use lemon juice instead of vinegar, but never use olive oil IMO the flavour is too strong

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    You could make your own mayonaisse. It's incredibly simple. I've only started doing it and can't believe I haven't been doing it for years.

Belgian style mayonaisse:
    2 egg yolks.
    2 tsp of mustard
    1tsp of white vinegar

Whisk this together.

Add sunflower or veg oil, while constantly whisking. A few drops at time at first, making sure it emulsifies properly. The more oil you add the thicker it will get. Stop at whatever consistency you want.

Season with salt and pepper. You can add garlic, chipotle or whatever you want at this point.

You can use lemon juice instead of vinegar, but never use olive oil IMO the flavour is too strong

How long does it keep?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    How long does it keep?

[NOT FOOD SAFETY ADVICE] If mine lasts (uneaten) three days it goes from the fridge to the bin the night of day 3 or morning of day 4.

It's delicious, but a bottle / jar of shop bought stuff is always in the press /fridge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How long does it keep?

No idea. I eat it pretty quick though.

2 egg yolks worth of mayonaisse makes about 300ml.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭i lovewine

That's the one a lot of chippers use.

Really like that one myself. Creamy

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I like a runny garlic sauce, like the kind you get in Eddie Rockets.

Would any of the recommendations here fit that bill?

Eddie Rockets have a garlic sauce available to buy in SuperValu.

I can’t recommend it because I haven’t found it yet!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Eddie Rockets have a garlic sauce available to buy in SuperValu.

I can’t recommend it because I haven’t found it yet!

They haven't had it in my SuperValu - just the Abrakebabra one (they are very similar tbh). You can get the Eddie Rockets one in your nearest Eddies - they are selling them at the counter in mine. Along with their secret sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

cee_jay wrote: »
    They haven't had it in my SuperValu - just the Abrakebabra one (they are very similar tbh). You can get the Eddie Rockets one in your nearest Eddies - they are selling them at the counter in mine. Along with their secret sauce.

I have the Abra one, really like it!

got the Hellmans one - wasn't my 1st choice but could not get any of those I wanted - don't really wanna bother ordering on line..

not exactly what i am looking for - would prefer something less thick - better flavour..

could try the heinz one but it has chives in it which i don't like..

don't wanna buy numerous bottles of the stuff - i'm the only one in the house who would use it - and if i don't like em - they would be wasted and i hate waste

oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭con747

sporina wrote: »
    got the Hellmans one - wasn't my 1st choice but could not get any of those I wanted - don't really wanna bother ordering on line..

not exactly what i am looking for - would prefer something less thick - better flavour..

could try the heinz one but it has chives in it which i don't like..

don't wanna buy numerous bottles of the stuff - i'm the only one in the house who would use it - and if i don't like em - they would be wasted and i hate waste

oh well

Thin it out with a little milk and add a bit of roasted garlic or garlic paste/powder to it. Give it a good shake and use more of both until it suits your taste.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Stokes garlic mayo is nice.
    Sherridans sell it.

well... eventually got this in Sheridan's in DS B'town Cork today.. (they had been out of stock for months).. OMG its delicious - thanks soo much for the recommendation.. the perfect garlicky taste - good consistency and lovely melt factor... just had some with dinner - and hmm.. have a lovely garlicky aftertaste now.. hmm

• Advertisement

Got Heinz Vegan Mayo Garlic Aioli recently - I really like it.. i'm not vegan but I liked the look of the ingredients.. nice consistency and good garlic flavour... yum.. (not bad in the absence of Stokes')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I bought the eddie rockets one along with their wing sauce and secret sauce in store the other day, 3 for €8. Its decent.

Got SV Garlic Mayo this week - tried it last night and really don't like it - yuk.. gonna pawn it off on someone else..

Gotta get my hands on another jar of Stokes'..

@sporina I see that Mr Bell's is stocking a new smoked garlic mayo. I haven't tried it yet so I can't vouch for it but thought that you might be interested!

@igCorcaigh awe thank you - so sweet of you to think of me..

will definitely check it out..

@sporina This is newly available from Sage via Neighbourfood, but I haven't tried it yet, might be nice?

I've also bought this yesterday from Mr. Bells. I haven't tried it yet but the reviews look very good. Might be nice mixed with mayo? It's a bit pricey at €10 though:

@igCorcaigh awe your v good

i'd say the Sage product is v good - will defo check it out

Not a garlic mayo as such, more of a shawarma sauce, nice and garlicky. Got this in Tesco. @sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Theres a garlic Mayo from Morans in Lidl at the moment - the section for irish suppliers.

Liked it.

• Advertisement

I got the Sage garlic aioli recently for a dip with pizza. It is very nice! Not overly garlicky. €4 from Bradley's on North Main street.

Advertisement