Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

China claims coronavirus came to country on Frozen Food

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

Definately that was rare concatenation of circumstances: to the city where Wuhan Institute of Virology is situated, the virus coincidentally came through imported frozen food products from abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There are very few incidences according to this.
    China’s CDC says 670,000 samples from frozen foods and packaging had been tested for COVID-19 as of Sept. 15. Reportedly, only 22 of them were positive (and prior to the Qingdao case it was not clear if any of the detected coronavirus was still active when thawed).

https://time.com/5899803/coronavirus-frozen-food-china/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's still 22 seeds. Started with 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

came on frozen bats and mice maybe............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭Tork

If the Chinese said the sky was blue, I'd look out the window to double check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I often travel to China and the people I know there (expats) all claim it is obvious it came from the lab, as they claim process and safety standards aren't really a thing in China, and covering up mistakes is normal.

The Chinese people I know all believe it came from the US.

What's curious is the number of Hong Kong people who visit China and return infected with COVID, so I suspect the Chinese are lying about everything when it comes to this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I hate to get political but I consider this part of Trump's legacy, his isolationism and retreat from the WHO just gave them complete control over it. This whole WHO investigation looks like it was just an on-rails propaganda journey provided by the Chinese officials.

I am not saying it was a lab leak, I just find it bizarre that they are so willing to discredit that hypothesis while pushing the equally dubious hypothesis that it came on frozen food packaging, which unsurprisingly is China's go to blame for any outbreaks, which lets them cast blame on the rest of the world every time someone gets sick in China

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

mikelike wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the WHO report update today that was livestreamed?

In summary

1.It definitely didn't come from the Wuhan institute of virology.

2. It didn't originate in the wet market but spread there.

3.Probably a bat or pangolin origin and came to Wuhan by cold chain food supply

In otherwords no new information

The Chinese scientist kept referring to cold chain food supplies that could come from a long distance. Then the WHO scientist repeated the same and it would be a subject of further studies along with looking for an animal host

So lab leak is "extremely unlikely" but a box of frozen peas is a hypothesis.

They're going with the frozen food theory basically

Lol. So the WHO have once again straight outright agreed with everything China tells them :pac:

The same WHO who declared their was little to no risk of P2P transmission 'cos that's what the Chinese told them.

The same WHO was insisted at the start of the Pandemic that there be no flight restrictions by other countries on flight coming from China despite China imposing draconian travel restrictions in its own country

Great bunch of lads altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

they had a year to come up with this bullsh1t -whats the point the WHO cowboys going over a year later

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. So the WHO have once again straight outright agrees with everything China tells them :pac:

The same WHO who declared their was little to no risk of P2P transmission 'cos that's what the Chinese told them.

The same WHO was insisted at the start of the Pandemic that there be no flight restrictions by other countries on flight coming from China despite China imposing draconian travel restrictions in its own country

Great bunch of lads altogether...

They went with the info they had at the time. Their stance and guidance changed multiple times for many things as new information came to light. Pretty standard to be honest, but hey, polish the tinfoil hat there if you wish

Also, that source, lol, a Trump xenophobic climate change hoax site, come on, do better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

So the WHO dismiss the lab theory without even looking into it. Yet they entertain China's Frozen food theory, even though there is zero evidence of this?

Also what did the WHO expect to find by going there a year later? This was just a PR trip to benefit China

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They went with the info they had at the time. Their stance and guidance changed multiple times for many things as new information came to light. Pretty standard to be honest, but hey, polish the tinfoil hat there if you wish. Also, that source, lol, a Trump xenophobic climate change hoax site, come on, do better

The above are facts about WHO. They have blindly agreed with just about every pronouncement which has come from China - and ignored other evidence until they were effectively overruled by independent experts .

And btw I didnt provide or use any trump source btw. I'd say the tinfoil hat is your own tbf. The story is all over the media in case you haven't read the reports yet.

But yeah I'd agree the WHO need to do a hell of a lot better and start that process by having some separation of interests.

Funnily enough we have had a few 'though shall not criticise China' contributors previously. You're not the first by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Chinese state media outlets are claiming that “all available evidence suggests” the coronavirus did not originate in Wuhan but instead came to China via imported frozen food.

Would be great if we could blame Putin or Iran for this.;)
    DaSilva wrote: »
    I hate to get political (...) This whole WHO investigation looks like it was just an on-rails propaganda journey provided by the Chinese officials.

I'm not actually sure if such discussion is allowed anymore. WHO is under the cap of most of Western governments and they mute all opinions or voices like recalling for example who was saying year ago that Covid-19 is not highly infectious and it is safe to travel to Wuhan etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

They went with the info they had at the time. Their stance and guidance changed multiple times for many things as new information came to light. Pretty standard to be honest, but hey, polish the tinfoil hat there if you wish

Also, that source, lol, a Trump xenophobic climate change hoax site, come on, do better

The WHO have a dubious history when it comes to faking information around pandemics. The H1 N1 scandal is largely forgotten but shows how improperly WHO can and do act.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/SwineFlu/swine-flu-pandemic-world-health-organization-scientists-linked/story%3fid=10829940

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    So the WHO dismiss the lab theory without even looking into it. Yet they entertain China's Frozen food theory, even though there is zero evidence of this?

Also what did the WHO expect to find by going there a year later? This was just a PR trip to benefit China
    This looks very much like the only correct answer is the one you already have in your head. So far they have suggested that it may well not have originated in Wuhan. That does not mean it didn't come from somewhere else in China. They haven't approved the frozen food angle but said it requires further studies on cold chain transmission. Incidentally NZ also reported frozen food issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The WHO have a dubious history

Surprisingly they still have strong support from all sides like USA, EU or China for example. They must be useful for them some way or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭POBox19

So Birds Eye are in the frame for the whole thing?

mikelike wrote: »
    No doubt it could be on the frozen food, but infect a person that way?

The NZ government said the possibility is negligible.

We really needs challenge trials at this stage to see how this thing infects, 14 months on and not one challenge trial to see if airbourne, fomite, urine, fece, contact,droplet, blood, intrauterine transmissions are possible.
    Who knows? China jumped on it as an excuse and NZ did highlight how vigilant they were. Fomites have been done alright, pretty negligible as it requires far too many things to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Wuhan was the first big outbreak, so it would be very unlikely to have originated somewhere else in the world but not caused an outbreak, but then by some extraordinary set of circumstances the virus managed to get to Wuhan and cause the first major outbreak of the disease.

Unless the implication here is that a foreign government sent some covid-laden fish fingers to wuhan?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

go back 2 years trade war China and US was just taking off then a few months later this mysterious virus was unleashed coincidence or what ?look whos economy is booming and look whos is in the gutter

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    Wuhan was the first big outbreak, so it would be very unlikely to have originated somewhere else in the world but not caused an outbreak, but then by some extraordinary set of circumstances the virus managed to get to Wuhan and cause the first major outbreak of the disease.
    What they said today at their briefing is that it's not in bats in Wuhan and they haven't found the intermediate animal. So even though that's where cases emerged it may have evolved elsewhere. All very early days in the investigation.

Wuhan, BTW, is a huge rail hub.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Railway_Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭timmyntc

is_that_so wrote: »
    What they said today at their briefing is that it's not in bats in Wuhan and they haven't found the intermediate animal. So even though that's where cases emerged it may have evolved elsewhere. All very early days in the investigation.

Wuhan, BTW, is a huge rail hub.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Railway_Hub

Given how contagious we know it is, do you really think that a person caught it elsewhere then came to Wuhan and Wuhan was the epicenter? Wuhan was the first reported cluster.

If it came from elsewhere, there would have been clusters elsewhere too.

At the time of the original outbreak, the alleged patient #0 was deemed to have been in the wuhan wet market. If any of these people had recently travelled into Wuhan at that time, I'm sure it would've made the news

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What were to hoping to find, some glowing bat hiding out in McDonald's, it's over a year since this appeared..seems for show and nothing more.

Given how contagious we know it is, do you really think that a person caught it elsewhere then came to Wuhan and Wuhan was the epicenter? Wuhan was the first reported cluster.

At the time of the original outbreak, the alleged patient #0 was deemed to have been in the wuhan wet market. If any of these people had recently travelled into Wuhan at that time, I'm sure it would've made the news
    That's what they are there to find out. They say they haven't found it in bats in Wuhan. The still unknown intermediate animal may have been the one to mix it up and produce that contagious strain. That's still the theory on where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

First reported case was in Wuhan, but the French tested old samples and it was in France in November 2019

https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-11/Was-there-COVID-19-in-France-last-November--QpD871eNhu/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

It really obviously came from the lab.

A lab with known safety issues, and which happens to study coronaviruses exactly like COVID-19, one of the only places in the world which does this, and an outbreak happens next door.

You really have to be an idiot to not put two and two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That the head of the organisation that funded much of the coronavirus investigations in the WIV, is also on the WHO team investigating the origins - and he denies it's a conflict of interest? It's actually bonkers.

gozunda wrote: »
    Funnily enough we have had a few 'though shall not criticise China' contributors previously. You're not the first by any means.

You caught me, I'm a sleeper Chinese agent, on boards since 2009, to convert the irish folk to Mao's great plan.

I actually lol'ed at your post, cheers mate, needed that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    The WHO have a dubious history when it comes to faking information around pandemics. The H1 N1 scandal is largely forgotten but shows how improperly WHO can and do act.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/SwineFlu/swine-flu-pandemic-world-health-organization-scientists-linked/story%3fid=10829940

Hardly fake when so many people were actually infected and thousands died. Still, I don't recall it being marked back then as a huge a problem as covid by WHO.

Your link shows that due diligence was not carried out for transparency reasons and not that it was fake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭wozniattack

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

They also blindly parroted China in claiming there was no clear evidence of human to human transmission.

SroeGy5m.jpg

Advertisement