Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

chrabo wrote: »
    I got mine today.
    2.5 months on pup and all my tax credits gone??. have 0 tax credit for 2020, time for social welfare full time

You have something very mixed up here, as reduction of your credits for any tax due from your PUP payments will not be implemented until next year. As for 2020, your tax credits for 2020 are not affected at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

I'm very confused by how all this is working out.
    For the past 3 weeks my husband (full time working) has been paying over €300 per week tax. He was on pup for a few months last year, around 5, I have been on it on the rate of €300, since September. He had an underpayment of €1600 on his statement of liability, thats fine not disputing there is tax owed.
    My problem is,his tax credits have been reduced to 1440 I am still on pup,and his rate band has reduced from €44300 to €10000.
    We were not given the option to pay the underpayment, or anything, his employer was issued a new TCC and his income is now less then halved. I've submitted enquiries to revenue but noone is replying or contacting.
    Can anyone shed light on my the tax credit band would be reduced so much? Our normal credits are just over €6000pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mamto5

This has happened to me and my husband also. He has not been awarded a SRCOP for 2021 so they have reduced mine. I have sent a message through my enquiries but will be ringing first thing Monday morning. It seems very unfair as if they are taxing him on social welfare he should a SRCOP and they should not reduce mine. I will be asking to be assessed separately as that way I can earn 32k at 20 %. I am hoping someone in the Revenue has made a mistake it wouldn’t be the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Revenue have taken away all my tax credits for this year because im on PUP. I did contact and they said that would change if I return to work. But hubby received notification that he will also loose tax credits even though he didnt receive any social welfare payment. I dont understand. We are jointly assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Logged onto revenue this morning and at first glance I took away the following:

They have deducted the PUP from my 20% rate band limit, €353600, under the assumption that the PUP was implace fro 12 months, Jan 2020 to Dec 2020, so now in 2021 I’ll be paying the top rate of income tax when I earn more €15400

My understanding of PAYE system is you can earn up to €35600 and only pay 20% tax on that minus whatever tax free allowance you have.

They now just penalising the people who were forced on to PUP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

They now just penalising the people who were forced on to PUP.

Why do people make statements like this? The payment is taxable, like many other payments from SW. They are collecting the tax. Wowzer, shock horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

I presume these tax credit/standard rate reductions are 2021 related and not 2020.

I overpaid tax in 2020 and have had mine reduced this year and put on week 1, I am currently on PUP. This means if I did go back to work now and didn't cancel the PUP that I would be paying huge amounts on what I earn and my tax on the PUP would be covered by the reduction. So at the end of 2021 there wouldn't be any rebalancing needed. And if there was then its a case that Revenue have already collected this money instead of them having to recoup it over 4 years leaving a hole in their pockets in the short term.

Of course when I do cancel the PUP I presume they will make a final calculation of PUP paid from social welfare and then re-issue me with a new tax credit certificate with these payments factored in.

I'm not sure why they have reduced the working spouses tax credit/standard rate above what was needed for a single person, but I'm sure there is a good reason that I am just not getting right now.

For some reason though from what I've gathered by calculating it, they've reduced our SRCOP by both myself and my husband aiming pup for 2021 (650×52=33800) so our SRCOP is now 10600. My husband is not on pup anymore though so I don't know why they have done that. So all his income per week above 200 is taxed at 40% with nearly no tax credits.
    He was on it for 20 weeks last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭Tow

For some reason though from what I've gathered by calculating it, they've reduced our SRCOP by both myself and my husband aiming pup for 2021 (650×52=33800) so our SRCOP is now 10600.

You are correct, once you are on PUP Revenue will assume you are going to be on it all year. So they multiple your weekly PUP by 52 and tax it by adjusting your RPN accordingly. Leaving aside the rights/wrongs of this approach. One you return to employment DEASP notify Revenue. However, this only happens once a week, so you may be working 2/3 weeks before seeing RPNs return back to (near) normal.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mamto5

The Revenues own website states that payment if any taxes due on the PUP will not commence until January 22 over 4 years they specifically state that it is not taxed in real time. This is very underhanded of them to send out new tax credits over the weekend with no prior notification. Some people will be in for a shock on their next pay day when they realise how much money they will be down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Any ideas on editing/deleting the Statement of Liability... my husband was on TWSS for a few months last year, his employment detail summary reflects this and the figures are exactly correct.

I am the assessable spouse so he cannot access the Statement of Liabilty. I edited it a few weeks ago to include medical expenses for 2020 and I cannot proceed further because it has pre populated the TWSS for my husband as 0.00 when its should show a figure in excess of 5k.

I have sent an enquiry but no response yet. If I click 'delete' on this Statement of Liabilty will it give me the option to request it again, with the hope that the TWSS figures will be correct? I started it before his employer had submitted the figures to Revenue and I wonder if that's why it said 0.00 to begin with..

Tldr: can I delete the Statement of Liabilty and start over, or will it be gone altogether/what happens if I delete it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Any ideas on editing/deleting the Statement of Liability... my husband was on TWSS for a few months last year, his employment detail summary reflects this and the figures are exactly correct.

I am the assessable spouse so he cannot access the Statement of Liabilty. I edited it a few weeks ago to include medical expenses for 2020 and I cannot proceed further because it has pre populated the TWSS for my husband as 0.00 when its should show a figure in excess of 5k.

I have sent an enquiry but no response yet. If I click 'delete' on this Statement of Liabilty will it give me the option to request it again, with the hope that the TWSS figures will be correct? I started it before his employer had submitted the figures to Revenue and I wonder if that's why it said 0.00 to begin with..

Tldr: can I delete the Statement of Liabilty and start over, or will it be gone altogether/what happens if I delete it?

Send a message through your enquiries and they can issue a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Mamto5 wrote: »
    The Revenues own website states that payment if any taxes due on the PUP will not commence until January 22 over 4 years they specifically state that it is not taxed in real time. This is very underhanded of them to send out new tax credits over the weekend with no prior notification. Some people will be in for a shock on their next pay day when they realise how much money they will be down.
    That's for underpayment of 2020 tax on pup.
    The reduction of tax credits for 2021 is to ensure that this year's pup is taxed this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Cash_Q wrote: »

I started and then ended up deleting mine a couple of weeks back and it seem to start over fine (I haven't submitted my final but it let me click through no issues, just removed any inputs I had made)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cyc1337

mystic86 wrote: »
    Why do people make statements like this? The payment is taxable, like many other payments from SW. They are collecting the tax. Wowzer, shock horror.

because it's the government who took away these peoples' jobs and income.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Mamto5 wrote: »

I just looked at mine and my rate of 40% starts at 50k now instead of 70.
    My wife has been on PUP for 9 months last year. I take half her tax credits as she only ever did a couple of days a week.

So I calc my tax bill will be up by 320€ a month.
    WTF is that about its her tax bill not mine. Why am I paying her tax and not her when she goes back?

I'm totally confused

mystic86 wrote: »

Understand the PAYE system first before you get on your high horse, Jesus H and Joseph Stalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

My wife has been on PUP for 9 months last year. I take half her tax credits as she only ever did a couple of days a week.

WTF is that about its her tax bill not mine. Why am I paying her tax and not her when she goes back?

I'm totally confused

Exactly the same here.
    I work part time obviously pay the lower rate of tax and was on pup for approx 5months. I don’t understand either?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The greatest hoodwink/scam that was ever pulled in this country. Literally a transfer of wealth by stealth from the working population of Ireland to its very richest. We worked for free/at very little cost to our employers and now we must repay hefty tax bills for that privilege while the now even wealthier employers get to boast about how we'll their figures are holding up "in spite of everything". We're all in this together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Nigzcurran wrote:
    Send a message through your enquiries and they can issue a new one

Have done weeks ago and no response, nobody answering phones either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I'm totally confused
    jrosen wrote: »
    Exactly the same here.
    I work part time obviously pay the lower rate of tax and was on pup for approx 5months. I don’t understand either?!

We are in the same position.
    Completed my 2020 return last week There was a liability of underpayment due to PUP etc. BUT this was ofset by medical , education and dental bill.
    So I received a small refund promptly.
    So at the moment our PAYE is up to date 2020.

But this week we we received amended tax certs. reduction in tax credit of €3120 and 20% band reduced by €14923.

My wife is currently on PUP and receiving €300 per week

I am no expert.
    I understand that the PUP is classed at taxable income, but my wife's income will not exceed 15,600 even if she was to remain on PUP for 2021. If she returns to work she will earn similar to the PUP payment, so her gross income for the year will still probably be around €15600.

I thought that as such she will not have any tax liability on it .

Am I wrong?

Revenue seem to have taken the view that her PUP payment is all taxable . and is looking for 20% of the 15600 during th year

Is this correct?
    Appreciate any info

CH3OH wrote: »
    We are in the same position.
    Completed my 2020 return last week There was a liability of underpayment due to PUP etc. BUT this was ofset by medical , education and dental bill.
    So I received a small refund promptly.
    So at the moment our PAYE is up to date 2020.

But this week we we received amended tax certs. reduction in tax credit of €3120 and 20% band reduced by €14923.

My wife is currently on PUP and receiving €300 per week

I am no expert.
    I understand that the PUP is classed at taxable income, but my wife's income will not exceed 15,600 even if she was to remain on PUP for 2021. If she returns to work she will earn similar to the PUP payment, so her gross income for the year will still probably be around €15600.

I thought that as such she will not have any tax liability on it .

Am I wrong?

Revenue seem to have taken the view that her PUP payment is all taxable . and is looking for 20% of the 15600 during th year

Is this correct?
    Appreciate any info
    The pup is taxable income,it's being taxed.You receive the gross pup in your bank account,and pay the tax by a reduction in scrop and tax credits.
    If you are thinking that your wife can earn x amount tax free ,well she can..by utilizing her tax credits which is exactly what is happening here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm totally confused

You voluntarily chose to be jointly assessed. You can't do that and take her tax credits when it suits you, but then be annoyed when you're jointly liable and it affects you negatively.

"For better for worse"...!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

I'm totally confused

I'm confused too. How was your rate band €70,000 and not €44,300?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/jobs-and-pensions/calculating-your-income-tax/what-is-an-increased-rate-band.aspx

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/tax-relief-charts/index.aspx

rostalof wrote: »

Because her income was over 26300 they are jointly assessed and got the higher increase of 28300? (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

Because her income was over 26300 they are jointly assessed and got the higher increase of 28300? (I think)

Her 2019 Income was €14951 ( Gross)
    Her 2020 Income was € 5666 before pup commenced

2019 would have been about normal as she is not full time.

vandriver wrote: »
    The pup is taxable income,it's being taxed.You receive the gross pup in your bank account,and pay the tax by a reduction in scrop and tax credits.
    If you are thinking that your wife can earn x amount tax free ,well she can..by utilizing her tax credits which is exactly what is happening here

Last year one could earn up to €35600 and only pay 20% tax on it minus your tax free allowance.

On paper it would look like: €35600 (gross) - 3300 (TFA) = €32300 @20% = €6640 PAYE Tax due.

This year I’m going to be taxed on every euro earned over €15400 at 40% because they have just slashed my 20% rate band across the abdomen.

Her 2019 Income was €14951 ( Gross)
    Her 2020 Income was € 5666 before pup commenced

2019 would have been about normal as she is not full time.

Ok, I get that but I still don't understand how previously you were paying 20% tax on your earnings up to €70,000. What rate of tax was your wife paying in 2019 for example?

€44,300 is the upper limit. So the spouse earning the higher income of the two can earn up to this amount at 20%, anything above this is 40%.

The lower earning spouse can earn up to a maximum of €26,300 at 20%, anything above that is taxed at 40%

You can transfer or divide credits between both spouses as you see fit, but you can't transfer rate bands. As a couple your combined rate band could potentially be €70,600, if your wife earned €26,300. Unless you have some other credits, reliefs or allowances that you haven't mentioned, you should be taxed at 40% on everything you earn above €44,300.

Last year one could earn up to €35600 and only pay 20% tax on it minus your tax free allowance.

On paper it would look like: €35600 (gross) - 3300 (TFA) = €32300 @20% = €6640 PAYE Tax due.

This year I’m going to be taxed on every euro earned over €15400 at 40% because they have just slashed my 20% rate band across the abdomen.

Wow, that's extremely drastic. Have you confirmed that the correct credits are set in My Account?

• Advertisement

You don't know how tax works.Literally everything in your first two sentences are incorrect.
    You are also conveniently ignoring the pup landing in your bank account every Tuesday untaxed.

Advertisement