Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RobMc59 wrote: »
    We can see it already with people like Michelle O'Neil very comfortable being part of the British establishment.

I see Irish politicians very comfortable and secure in their identity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

We can see it already with people like Michelle O'Neil very comfortable being part of the British establishment.

Or is it , Michelle O'Neil is very comfortable being part of the NI establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I don't see an all island state in my lifetime. I can't see how you would convince even moderate unionists that it would be beneficial for them and their identity, when they seem to be happy to vote with their heart and rarely their head. Brexit makes no economic sense yet the majority of unionists vote for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I don't see an all island state in my lifetime. I can't see how you would convince even moderate unionists that it would be beneficial for them and their identity, when they seem to be happy to vote with their heart and rarely their head. Brexit makes no economic sense yet the majority of unionists vote for it.

If the outcome from Brexit is major economic decline for the UK, with little or no effect on Ireland, even a significant growth in GDP, it might be necessary for significant UK public spending cutbacks.

If the cutbacks unduly effect the NI subvention, then the half-crown comes into play. If the cuts for NI appear to be unfair, well the it is game on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Agreed. And you have to start by trying to convince moderate nationalists to change their position of wanting to remain in UK

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Northern Ireland can benefit and have the best of both worlds but unionists are vehemently opposed to the present terms which allow that kind of " best of both worlds " unique advantage

Have you any idea how many laughable rediculous rules are in place because of protocol. Those rules need to go, and will go. Then we’ll be in a good place

If the outcome from Brexit is major economic decline for the UK, with little or no effect on Ireland, even a significant growth in GDP, it might be necessary for significant UK public spending cutbacks.

If the cutbacks unduly effect the NI subvention, then the half-crown comes into play. If the cuts for NI appear to be unfair, well the it is game on.

If if if

downcow wrote: »
    Have you any idea how many laughable rediculous rules are in place because of protocol. Those rules need to go, and will go. Then we’ll be in a good place

The rules are a consequence of leaving the SM.

The rules are a consequence of leaving the SM.

But many of them are typically Eu ie no sense and no benefit to anyone They will go.

That would be a logical conclusion but - I don't think that would pan out. The northern Irish unionist already has a distrust for downing Street, but frankly , they'd rather eat bread and soup than be part of an all island Ireland

• Advertisement

If if if

No 'ifs' so far. 68% loss in exports so far downcow. With the UK still to sort out customs their end.
    It's a **** show and it isn't going to get better.

If if if

Of course, but Brexit looks like it is not going well, and Cornwall have been denied the EU subvention promised - they got 10% of it. All it will take is sluggish recovery from Covid, and austerity beckons. All it would take is a good recovery in Ireland, and the stage is set.

Agreed. And you have to start by trying to convince moderate nationalists to change their position of wanting to remain in UK

That's quite true. I know one businessman employs around 80 people and is from staunchly IRA country. He very quietly admitted he votes for the UUP.

The nationalist alternatives aren't pro business despite the rhetoric

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I saw this last year about a Donegal company looking to secure a site for a facility they hope to build in NI as a result of brexit but NI isn't going to do well out of any this right?
    "Ballybofey operations not affected by Tyrone plans - Mulrines - Highland Radio - Latest Donegal News and Sport" https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/07/02/ballybofey-operations-not-affected-by-tyrone-plans-mulrines/

Of course, but Brexit looks like it is not going well, and Cornwall have been denied the EU subvention promised - they got 10% of it. All it will take is sluggish recovery from Covid, and austerity beckons. All it would take is a good recovery in Ireland, and the stage is set.

Incredible wishful thinking. It’s great to have a neighbour that wants you to fail but says he wants to be your friend lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

That's quite true. I know one businessman employs around 80 people and is from staunchly IRA country. He very quietly admitted he votes for the UUP.

The nationalist alternatives aren't pro business despite the rhetoric

Imagine how happy he'd be with FF to vote for!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I saw this last year about a Donegal company looking to secure a site for a facility they hope to build in NI as a result of brexit but NI isn't going to do well out of any this right?
    "Ballybofey operations not affected by Tyrone plans - Mulrines - Highland Radio - Latest Donegal News and Sport" https://www.highlandradio.com/2020/07/02/ballybofey-operations-not-affected-by-tyrone-plans-mulrines/

Exports down by 68%, but a juice company isn't cancelling its already existing plans to open a facility in Tyrone....christ, up there with the Albania trade deal. Britannia rules the waves indeed.

...and how did it go? Surely after a year they'd be set up and running? Or did something change their minds?

Incredible wishful thinking. It’s great to have a neighbour that wants you to fail but says he wants to be your friend lol

No, not really, just to provide a safe exit for a friend if things go pear shaped.

The Irish government must make sure that the now certain fact, that a political party effectively behaved as the 'terrorist threat' here in the last two weeks is known by every single member state.

Edwin Poots and the DUP fabricated the threat in order to try and bring down the protocol and therefore the agreement.
    That is an unforgiveable rogue action and an extremely dangerous one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

But many of them are typically Eu ie no sense and no benefit to anyone They will go.

Which rules do you think can/will go?

...and how did it go? Surely after a year they'd be set up and running? Or did something change their minds?

Donegal has had more than it`s fair share of problems with covid,probably originating in Monaghan which has some of the highest rates in Ireland apparently.This has probably put a stop to any developments there.

Donegal has had more than it`s fair share of problems with covid,probably originating in Monaghan which has some of the highest rates in Ireland apparently.This has probably put a stop to any developments there.

:):) I'm sure you'll stoke an argument with someone Rob. Won't be me sadly.

:):) I'm sure you'll stoke an argument with someone Rob. Won't be me sadly.

Francie,I apologise for that post.It was uncalled for and thoughtless in the current situation.

The Irish government must make sure that the now certain fact, that a political party effectively behaved as the 'terrorist threat' here in the last two weeks is known by every single member state.

Edwin Poots and the DUP fabricated the threat in order to try and bring down the protocol and therefore the agreement.
    That is an unforgiveable rogue action and an extremely dangerous one.

Is that not what Leo has spent a couple of years doing ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I don't think the Republic wants NI to fail - it's in our best interest for it to be stable.

jm08 wrote: »
    Which rules do you think can/will go?

eg
    If I go to the premier bulls sales in Carlisle or Stirling I can buy an English bull and bring it home but if my neighbour is there with his Northern Irish bull I cannot buy it and bring it home Also if I take a bull over and it doesn’t sell I can’t bring it home again, but I can bring hamish mcstavish’s home from Inverness.

Seems my bull which was reared on this island is more of a bio security risk to the EU after two days in Stirling that John Smiths bull in the stall next door which travelled up from Kent.

Much of this stuff is mad Eu nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

We need to make Irish men more attractive to Unionist women to phase out the Unionist gene.

Unification through fornication.

I don't think the Republic wants NI to fail - it's in our best interest for it to be stable.

Some posters on here clearly do

• Advertisement

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    We need to make Irish men more attractive to Unionist women to phase out the Unionist gene.

Unification through fornication.

Lol. My mum had me well warned about that tactic 40 years ago

Advertisement