Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

downcow wrote: »
    Haha.
    I was looking to see what average numbers were on these petitions and I came across this.
    Come on now own up Francie, Bonnie, Junkyard, who signed it
    Hahaha
    https://petition.parliament.uk/archived/petitions/18197

'The British Isles'? - wheres that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Your mental gymnastics are something else. I said it's not something to be proud of, and from that you infer I'm rattled and spooked?

No I wasn’t meaning you were rattled. I was meaning the guy who felt the need to investigate the numbers to find 0.01% were from outside our nation and then try to make a story out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Lurleen.
    I normally think a lot of sam and I agree it was a distraction tactic by the DUP (I would have liked to have seen a united unionist one) but for sam to say it was a week when it was only launched yesterday.

As for the international signings. It shows some people are rattled. I haven’t looked but the countries mentioned have probable 1 or 2 votes each. The international votes equate to likely ex pats when you examine them eg many countries have 1 vote only but Roi has about 80 as does Spain and Canada about 20 last time I looked.

But it is pathetic for that tweet to raise countries that got I signing in a petition of over 100,000 hahaha talk about being spooked.

Those would be the well known NI Loyalist expat communities of North Korea, Kazakhstan and Tuvalu?

One of the commenters on that thread who seems to have a background in Big Data and Analytics claiming under 60% of the signatures are from NI. No idea what level of truth there is to those exact numbers, but it would appear a statistically significant number of those signatures relate to bots.

Largely these petitions are pretty pointless though, as I'm sure you'll agree, so it makes little difference either way.

For context the Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU petition is the most signed petition ever to Parliament with over 6 million signatures.....and look how that worked out.

maccored wrote: »
    'The British Isles'? - wheres that?

I don’t know why you are asking the question, if someone said that to me then I would assume it was this island and the main island next door that they were referring to, and all the wee islands in and around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Several million British people signed a petition to have a second vote on Brexit, remember that? Hundreds of thousands marched through London to protest Brexit.. nothing.

• Advertisement

I don’t know why you are asking the question, if someone said that to me then I would assume it was this island and the main island next door that they were referring to, and all the wee islands in and around

the 'british isles' apparently includes Ireland - which we know is a load of cobblers. I'll call it the 'Irish Isles' since we're making up names

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maccored wrote: »
    all thats shows is that unionism hasn't a clue what its at. Unionists may realise that they cant bully the rest of the UK the way they bullied nationalists

Remember the days when Paisley could bring 100,000 on to the street. Oh how Unionism has declined.
    Pointless petition that has never changed anything. Sad for decent Unionism, dreadful leadership tbh.

Remember the days when Paisley could bring 100,000 on to the street. Oh how Unionism has declined.
    Pointless petition that has never changed anything. Sad for decent Unionism, dreadful leadership tbh.

he united people that man did - even if only for five minutes. I remember once throwing stones at him and beside was a gang of local loyalists doing the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

No I wasn’t meaning you were rattled. I was meaning the guy who felt the need to investigate the numbers to find 0.01% were from outside our nation and then try to make a story out of it

The volume of outside signatures isn't the issue, it's the patterns, especially inside the UK, that suggest the use of bots.

Trump supporting party gets their petition votes scrutinised, it's hardly unexpected.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Those would be the well known NI Loyalist expat communities of North Korea, Kazakhstan and Tuvalu?

One of the commenters on that thread who seems to have a background in Big Data and Analytics claiming under 60% of the signatures are from NI. No idea what level of truth there is to those exact numbers, but it would appear a statistically significant number of those signatures relate to bots.
    t.

You guys have cheered me up tonight. I thought the only Benidorm of the petition was to achieve 100k and thereby get a debate in Parliament. But you altitudes have showed me that it has also rattled some of you.

Fion, unless you know different there is one signature from Tuvalu (that’s less than 0.001% of signatories) and did you just make up that there were North Korea signatories for impact? Surely you would be so rattled you would make up lies?

• Advertisement

You guys have cheered me up tonight. I thought the only Benidorm of the petition was to achieve 100k and thereby get a debate in Parliament. But you altitudes have showed me that it has also rattled some of you.

Fion, unless you know different there is one signature from Tuvalu (that’s less than 0.001% of signatories) and did you just make up that there were North Korea signatories for impact? Surely you would be so rattled you would make up lies?

Rattled? I think you mean 'amused'.

Largely these petitions are pretty pointless though, as I'm sure you'll agree, so it makes little difference either way.

For context the Revoke Article 50 and remain in the EU petition is the most signed petition ever to Parliament with over 6 million signatures.....and look how that worked out.

It is really sad and delusional to think the British are going to now ride to the rescue of Unionism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I`m glad Francie mentioned it.I`ve signed it and forwarded it to all my mates.

The North Korean signatory (or signatories) was specifically referenced in the same tweet which stated there was a signature (or signatures) from Tuvalu, Downcow.

Where did you read that it was specifically only one signature from Tuvalu out of curiosity. All I'm aware is that there have been a significant number of signatures from places one wouldn't expect a strong Ulster Loyalist community to exist.

Rattled? Not even slightly. I'm confident that the petition will have about as significant an impact as any other one of these e-petitions, like the one I just referenced with 6 million signatures to remain in the EU. It is almost as if you're deflecting to hide your own insecurities.

If things are so bad that this is enough to cheer you up, then I wouldn't want to take that away from you.

RobMc59 wrote: »

Oh drat, I've ruined it all for us in the EU.:D:D

The North Korean signatory (or signatories) was specifically referenced in the same tweet which stated there was a signature (or signatures) from Tuvalu, Downcow.

Where did you read that it was specifically only one signature from Tuvalu out of curiosity. All I'm aware is that there have been a significant number of signatures from places one wouldn't expect a strong Ulster Loyalist community to exist.

Rattled? Not even slightly. I'm confident that the petition will have about as significant an impact as any other one of these e-petitions, like the one I just referenced with 6 million signatures to remain in the EU. It is almost as if you're deflecting to hide your own insecurities.

If things are so bad that this is enough to cheer you up, then I wouldn't want to take that away from you.

Tuvalu? That's the first exit off the Moira roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

You weren't aware of it? It's pretty popular apparently.

It is really sad and delusional to think the British are going to now ride to the rescue of Unionism.

According to Fionn, it’s the North Koreans, so we might nuke the Eu lol

Also, I know I said I wouldn't want to take away the little things that Downcow is relying on to cheer him up, but there's a slight bubble to bust.

Have a look at the petition again.....these petitions when they reach 100k signatures do not guarantee they will be debated in Parliament.....they guarantee that they will be considered for debate....all of this crowing on the huge victory that is Parliament are now forced to think about maybe discussing it....

Also, I know I said I wouldn't want to take away the little things that Downcow is relying on to cheer him up, but there's a slight bubble to bust.

Have a look at the petition again.....these petitions when they reach 100k signatures do not guarantee they will be debated in Parliament.....they guarantee that they will be considered for debate....all of this crowing on the huge victory that is Parliament are now forced to think about maybe discussing it....

There's a queue a mile long too apparently. But IT HAS TO BE sorted this week!!! :)

• Advertisement

I am very aware of that but the political pundits seem to be saying that it is a cert to be acted upon. I personally have no idea and I wouldn’t expect the debate to achieve anything other than keeping it highlighted.
    It is very clear that the last week has prepared the ground for significant movement and I think it will be to everyone’s benefit that some common sense will be applied and hopefully extended to Dover Calais crossings

There's a queue a mile long too apparently. But IT HAS TO BE sorted this week!!! :)

I look forward to Parliament considering debating the matter several weeks or months after it has been resolved.

Also, to further bust Downcow's bubble (I'm sorry, I know I said I wouldn't)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/573209.json

Three votes from Tuvalu, not one.....and as I said, one from North Korea on there too!

The five from Vatican City particularly jumped out at me from this most serious of petitions....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You are confusing it with Supervalu - Lidl is on the next roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

I am very aware of that but the political pundits seem to be saying that it is a cert to be acted upon. I personally have no idea and I wouldn’t expect the debate to achieve anything other than keeping it highlighted.
    It is very clear that the last week has prepared the ground for significant movement and I think it will be to everyone’s benefit that some common sense will be applied and hopefully extended to Dover Calais crossings

Just under sixteen hundred signatures in the last hour according to Gov.UK website.

What 'political pundits'?

I look forward to Parliament considering debating the matter several weeks or months after it has been resolved.

Also, to further bust Downcow's bubble (I'm sorry, I know I said I wouldn't)

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/573209.json

Three votes from Tuvalu, not one.....and as I said, one from North Korea on there too!

The five from Vatican City particularly jumped out at me from this most serious of petitions....

Ah noes, not the Pope!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You not thinking of Tullyallen? :0

Ah noes, not the Pope!

pallium_credit-rvin88-wikicommons.jpg?as=1&extension=webp

I'm aware it's the wrong Pope, but I couldn't resist....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just under sixteen hundred signatures in the last hour according to Gov.UK website.

The UK might run out of internet if this pace keeps up.

Brexiters and belligerent Unionists will jump on any potential for affirmation won't they?

• Advertisement

The UK might run out of internet if this pace keeps up.

Brexiters and belligerent Unionists will jump on any potential for affirmation won't they?

where dafuq are the Unionists...is there not 900,000 of them?

3 people in fecking Tuvalu have signed this thing before 700,000 home grown Unionists have?

Awful response.

Advertisement