Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hell Let Loose

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hyper x cloud 2 here sound is brilliant but needs work, devs said so themselves and its also on the roadmap so its not perfect yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I have two headsets here, have the Turtle Beach Elite Pro and TAC for the PC and just bought the ARCTIS PRO with DAC Rev 2.0 with the PS5 update.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Never bought a gaming headset in all the years. At the moment I'm using a pair of sennheiser HD660s and a desktop mic that I got for about a tenner years ago.

I find myself playing officer a lot in this game as the loadouts are good (the binos are clutch) and I get frustrated if I'm in a squad with no leader or a useless leader. I generally play a lot of fairly unforgiving FPS games like Escape from Tarkov, PUBG, Arma, Dayz etc but this game is king for dying over and over again with no idea where the guy was :pac: The voice coms bug is also annoying and pretty common now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm interested in getting this as the setting is perfect for me. But is it a squad based thing only? This kinda puts me off, cos I usually go it alone in most games.

How does that play out in the game. Is it one lad yelling orders and getting pissed off at noobs?

I don't really play many online games and the ones I do play, you're pretty much on your own (DayZ and Elite).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'm interested in getting this as the setting is perfect for me. But is it a squad based thing only? This kinda puts me off, cos I usually go it alone in most games.

How does that play out in the game. Is it one lad yelling orders and getting pissed off at noobs?

you can go solo no problem if that's your thing, but you miss out on the main thrust of the game - objective based squad play.

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    you can go solo no problem if that's your thing, but you miss out on the main thrust of the game - objective based squad play.

Aye, but I'm billy bleedin no mates. :D

It's €30 at the moment on Steam, so I wanna be sure before I take a punt.

In my (limited) experience though, I find online squad games tend to end up messy most of the time. And often it descends into people yelling at each other. No interest in that kinda nonsense.

Seems to be getting good reviews though and I hear that there's a Russian Front map in development too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Aye, but I'm billy bleedin no mates. :D

It's €30 at the moment on Steam, so I wanna be sure before I take a punt.

In my (limited) experience though, I find online squad games tend to end up messy most of the time. And often it descends into people yelling at each other. No interest in that kinda nonsense.

Seems to be getting good reviews though and I hear that there's a Russian Front map in development too.

you can stay solo and not join up to a squad, doubt anyone would give out to you. stealthing around sniping the enemy is how combat mostly goes anyway so if that's your thing absolutely give it a shot. the maps are incredible.

froog wrote: »
    you can stay solo and not join up to a squad, doubt anyone would give out to you. stealthing around sniping the enemy is how combat mostly goes anyway so if that's your thing absolutely give it a shot. the maps are incredible.

Yeh, I was looking at Foy and Carentan and they seemed well done.

It really isnt a game for solo'ing if Im being truthfully honest. Joining into the game and getting into say a tank on your own is a huge no go on most servers. Reason being is that a tank costs alot of resources and if you get taken out in a tank constantly its a huge drain on the rest of the team. I have yet to experience some clown barking orders at me when in a squad and I started at the deep end with no clue what was what.....you will get some dopey SL who thinks he is TOM HANKS and ask you to so stupid things or worse NOTHING at all but thats like every game.

Where this game really shines is when the players>SL>Team>Commander all work together and win its priceless.

You can join a squad and do solo stuff no bother, like be an engineer and build nodes (resources) for the team or be support and build and yes to a certain extent 2up and go recon....but as a pure lone wolf running around on your todd, it would not be the best game for it.

But nothing stopping you getting the game and learn of us....the blind leading the blind, great craic and sure Id rather play a bad game with good peeps then a great game with bad peeps. This just happens to be a great game to BOOT!

I don't really play many online games and the ones I do play, you're pretty much on your own (DayZ and Elite).

First off you will not find your typical call of duty of fortnite player in these games.
    This is a big boys war game ie old farts like me :P
    I have about 130 hours in the game and never once experienced anyone barking orders in a bad manner not once.

The overwhelming majority of players are mature gamers plus only play on community clan servers and any annoying people will be kicked.

Also some squads you join will be totally chilled and some possibly not even giving orders then the ones that are actively following the commanders orders etc are just gamers like yourself.

Dont over analyse the commander/squad leader thing, you can avoid it all if you wish.
    The orders are just basic go here to defend then go there to attack [remember your gameplay is your gameplay] the orders are jsut to be roughly in a general area of the huge map - again dont over analyse it it really is a chilled game.
    Just play a rifleman to start with , if the squad leader asks for someone to go support or engineer just say your a new player learning or by all means jump into those roles, more often than not you only need to be one of them for a few minutes to drop supplies for squad leader or build nodes then redeploy back to whatever you want.
    Just stick to the normal infantry squads and avoid armour and recon squads while your learning.

It really is a fantastic game, you sound like someone who would love it.
    The gunplay the maps the whole immersion into a WW2 experience is like no other.

This video came up on my ty feed yesterday, i havent watched but it might help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I picked up HLL for €15 from Instant Gaming last week (no brainer at that price). I had been playing a fair bit of Squad last few weeks but I fancied a change and the WW2 setting. I'm a BF2 veteran from way back so this piqued my interest.

So far, my experience has been very good. Certainly not as coordinated as Squad or as much talking going on, there seems to be a lot more solo players but that doesn't detract from the overall gameplay and teamwork is essential to get into objectives. The front line can swing backwards and forwards quite a bit. Trying to find a good server can be a bit hit and miss, I was on a Finnish one last night and had a great game. Graphics are a significant improvement compared to Squad but you can see it's not as well developed just yet. I'm still trying to get my head around the support and build mechanics, Squad's system seems to work better. Artillery can be somewhat overpowering.

HLL fills a niche between recent Battlefield games (way too arcadey for me and my twitch response is not so good anymore) and modern mil-sims like Arma and Squad. It will only get better over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MayoForSam wrote: »
    HLL fills a niche between recent Battlefield games (way too arcadey for me and my twitch response is not so good anymore) and modern mil-sims like Arma and Squad. It will only get better over time.

You describe me exactly. Never liked the arcade games mainly stuck to single player stuff like flashpoint and milsim for years.

I'm interested in this but I only play games really late and then not to any schedule. Until recently never really had the hardware or quiet to play this. Can you drop and just be an extra guy, cannon fodder if needs be..

beauf wrote: »
    You describe me exactly. Never liked the arcade games mainly stuck to single player stuff like flashpoint and milsim for years.

I'm interested in this but I only play games really late and then not to any schedule. Until recently never really had the hardware or quiet to play this. Can you drop and just be an extra guy, cannon fodder if needs be..

Seriously you can be non active in a squad and solo to your hearts content when your not a squad leader,armour or recon squad that is.
    Nobody will care but if you want a fulfilling tactical experience the squad system is great too.

You can definitely play solo if you want to. If you behind enemy lines you can take out OPs and garrisons if you're sneaky. You're more effective as part of a squad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

You can solo but as the others point out your better as a squad just from a down point perspective.

Just don't take a squad leader or commander slot or you will get **** for it.

If your going to not have comms then just listening is a huge benefit, if you do as SL commands your fine.

Also if you want a laugh playing with americans and then role playing always cracks me up. The mad bastards really get into it.

What are the realistic specs. We've a couple of older desktops with 1050ti. Also have a new gaming laptop 2060 but it's only got 8gb ram (was planning on upgrading it). If I can prise it out of the kids hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What are the realistic specs. We've a couple of older desktops with 1050ti. Also have a new gaming laptop 2060 but it's only got 8gb ram (was planning on upgrading it). If I can prise it out of the kids hands.

Its early access so specs are "fluid"
    MINIMUM:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: i3-4130 @ 3.3GHz / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHz (or equivalent)
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: GTX1050ti / R9 280 (or equivalent with minimum 2GB VRAM)
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 30 GB available space
    Additional Notes: System Requirements subject to change as development continues
    RECOMMENDED:
    Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    Processor: i5-7600 @ 3.5GHz or Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1070 or AMD RX Vega 56
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 30 GB available space
    Additional Notes: System Requirements subject to change as development continues

As with any EA, have double whats recomended :D

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Its early access so specs are "fluid"

As with any EA, have double whats recomended :D

Are many of you finding you need 32gb, 7Ghz CPU and 3060 to play it. It's that what you guys are using? Because if thats the case there's no point me trying. :) Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Are many of you finding you need 32gb, 7Ghz CPU and 3060 to play it. It's that what you guys are using? Because if thats the case there's no point me trying. :) Lol.

Nope i'm on an 4-5 year old PC with a 1070 on it, one of my mates is using a 1060 and used to use a 980.

The game is badly optimized no matter what system you have but you can make it work on older systems.

• Advertisement

Ok cheers

12 months ago it was unplayable its 10x better now.
    Its actually pretty well optimized now, some AAA games run a lot worse and look worse.
    I get 100-144fps[capped]@ 1440p with the odd dip to 85fps when theres something like a bombing on Carentan town centre for example
    8600K @4.5ghz 1080TI

The dev roadmap includes further optimizing too.

Yeah I think it runs pretty well maxed out, the only thing I get the odd time is a lag when driving in tanks. That could be a server side thing as it does not happen all the time, but as Cully said it runs pretty well for me also and I playing at 3840x1600 res on a 3900x @ 4.5ghz and a 3090.

If you couldn't run it no one could.. ! :)

I've got a ryzen 3600x and a 5700xt and I don't notice much of a difference in performance or visuals when I adjust settings so I just play with everything on medium. For a game that's running 100 player servers and is still in development it runs very smooth I think, smoother than some AAA games I've played that were "finished".

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've got a ryzen 3600x and a 5700xt and I don't notice much of a difference in performance or visuals when I adjust settings so I just play with everything on medium. For a game that's running 100 player servers and is still in development it runs very smooth I think, smoother than some AAA games I've played that were "finished".

If you use the *ini settings above that cully posted I think they are the best overall settings to use.

Wasn't able to find that folder, it's somewhere else on my PC.

Wasn't able to find that folder, it's somewhere else on my PC.

Appdata folder could be hidden you can set to show hidden folders then your sorted.

Dcully wrote: »
    Appdata folder could be hidden you can set to show hidden folders then your sorted.

It actually was so I unticked that box but there is still no appdata folder when I look in C>Users>myname

Edit: nvm, sorted it. I'll give those settings a go and see if I like it.

• Advertisement

It actually was so I unticked that box but there is still no appdata folder when I look in C>Users>myname

Edit: nvm, sorted it. I'll give those settings a go and see if I like it.

set desired graphics settings first and click apply then after this ad that text then do not touch graphics menu ingame specifically the apply button as this can reset your engine.ini

Advertisement