Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exchange of UK driving licence

• 27-11-2020 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I understand that there are certain driving categories that will not transfer over from a UK licence to an Irish licence due to restrictions on some categories i.e. D1/D1E etc. The Minister for Transport explains that this is due to Ireland having different categories/thresholds to the UK. Their reason for not allowing D1/D1E (with the '101' restriction - not for Hire or Reward) is that Ireland does not have that category! Surely, that is nonsense, as the issue of a D1/D1E here does not give the holder Hire or Reward privileges *until* they have passed the relevant CPC requirements.
    Therefore, in my opinion, the licence privileges are exactly the same and should be transferred across.

Anyone care to comment?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The UK not for hire or reward restriction cannot be overcome without doing the entire testing process for that licence; which is not equivalent to the CPC.

You are not going to convince the RSA to change their mind on this in the realistically ~3 weeks you have to get in there to transfer a licence. Or ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kaahooters

If you don't want to change your licence, move back to England.
    If you want to stay in Ireland, exchange your licence.
    Only options you got.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Av8or wrote: »
    Their reason for not allowing D1/D1E (with the '101' restriction - not for Hire or Reward) is that Ireland does not have that category! Surely, that is nonsense, as the issue of a D1/D1E here does not give the holder Hire or Reward privileges *until* they have passed the relevant CPC requirements.
    Therefore, in my opinion, the licence privileges are exactly the same and should be transferred across.

Anyone care to comment?

Speaking as a former UK licence holder and minibus driver, your opinion whilst understandable is misguided.

The UK licence privileges are not the same so do not carry over to an Irish licence.

The UK D1/D1E (101) were grandfather rights issued following a category B pass prior to the 1st January 1997 and granted on a national basis only. They only applied within the UK and were not valid for travelling around the EU/EEA

The 2nd Driving Licence Directive (2DLD) removed the minibus and 7.5T derogations to new category B licence holders, so those that passed their B tests after that date, did not get them added.

Article 5.4.(a) & 5.4(b) of 91/439/EEC allowed the Member states to apply the national derogation on minibuses at the time.

Restriction codes 01 to 99 are harmonised Community codes. Restriction codes 100 and above are national codes valid only for driving in the territory of the Member State which issued the licence. 101 in the UK means "not for hire or reward". 101 in other Member States can mean something entirely different. The same applies to licence categories. Those in upper case are EU/EEA standard categories and those in lower case apply only on a national basis.

If a UK resident living in the UK had a pre-1997 licence with D1(101) and wished to drive in the UK a minibus for hire or reward, they would have to sit a D1 driving test, and not just top-up with the CPC requirements.

Whilst some national categories (UK f,k,l,m,n,p,q) might translate to something similar here, unlike cateogories A to E, there isn't an obligation to translate it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

kaahooters wrote: »
    If you don't want to change your licence, move back to England.
    If you want to stay in Ireland, exchange your licence.
    Only options you got.

Is Av8or from England? The first post doesn't conclusively say so. Could be from Wales or Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

macplaxton wrote: »
    Is Av8or from England? The first post doesn't conclusively say so. Could be from Wales or Scotland?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Av8or

macplaxton wrote: »

It could also be none of his f*ck*ng business

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sounds like Northern England to me :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Na, you should move back.

You seem to be looking for support to circumvent legislation here, as pointed out the licence s is not equivilant.
    Different country different rules., you want the same rules, and legislation, move to where that legislation is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Im about to change my license over from a UK and i have a c1,d1,c1e etc category on it.I have driven my 7 1/2 ton for my own private work and not for hire
    i would like to keep the c1 on my new irish licence and am getting a medical report form for it but are they going to refuse me when i go in to the centre on the grounds that i dont have a cpc for this category?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

tipptom wrote: »
    Im about to change my license over from a UK and i have a c1,d1,c1e etc category on it.I have driven my 7 1/2 ton for my own private work and not for hire
    i would like to keep the c1 on my new irish licence and am getting a medical report form for it but are they going to refuse me when i go in to the centre on the grounds that i dont have a cpc for this category?

You will lose D1/D1E but should be able to keep C1/C1E with the medical report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anjobe wrote: »

Only if their D1 licence has a "1" or "101" restriction. if they received their D1 licence after taking the appropriate test in the UK they can transfer it to an Irish licence.

Anjobe wrote: »

Im happy with that but looking on one of the sites this morning they were mentioning cpc also but surly i dont need a cpc to get the c1 added

It also mentioned eyesight test separate to the medical report,i hardly need two sepearate reports?

Just want to make sure i dont waste another day and just the one journey when i get there,TIA.

Im happy with that but looking on one of the sites this morning they were mentioning cpc also but surly i dont need a cpc to get the c1 added

It also mentioned eyesight test separate to the medical report,i hardly need two sepearate reports?

Just want to make sure i dont waste another day and just the one journey when i get there,TIA.

no mention of separate eyesight test for a C1 https://www.ndls.ie/help/faq.html#is-a-medical-report-form-required-to-exchange-a-uk-ni-licence-for-an-irish-driving-licence

you need the CPC if you want to drive commercially. you dont need it to transfer your licence.

Only if their D1 licence has a "1" or "101" restriction. if they received their D1 licence after taking the appropriate test in the UK they can transfer it to an Irish licence.

d1 has a 101
    c1e has a 107
    d1e has a 101and a 119

no mention of separate eyesight test for a C1 https://www.ndls.ie/help/faq.html#is-a-medical-report-form-required-to-exchange-a-uk-ni-licence-for-an-irish-driving-licence

you need the CPC if you want to drive commercially. you dont need it to transfer your licence.

Perfect,thanks

d1 has a 101
    c1e has a 107
    d1e has a 101and a 119

you wont get any of those because of the national restrictions.We dont have a corresponding category in Ireland. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-04-10/172/#:~:text=The%20C1E%20category%20with%20a,C1E%20is%2012%20tonne%2Fkg.

you wont get any of those because of the national restrictions.We dont have a corresponding category in Ireland. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-04-10/172/#:~:text=The%20C1E%20category%20with%20a,C1E%20is%2012%20tonne%2Fkg.

Yeah thanks,happy enough to take the c1 out of it,just a pain i cant do it online because of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

I understand that there are certain driving categories that will not transfer over from a UK licence to an Irish licence due to restrictions on some categories i.e. D1/D1E etc. The Minister for Transport explains that this is due to Ireland having different categories/thresholds to the UK. Their reason for not allowing D1/D1E (with the '101' restriction - not for Hire or Reward) is that Ireland does not have that category! Surely, that is nonsense, as the issue of a D1/D1E here does not give the holder Hire or Reward privileges *until* they have passed the relevant CPC requirements.

Anyone care to comment?

I lost my bike but retained my c1 and ordinary licence, needed it in a hurry and at the time I was busted and the doctors eye test fee was was too much,,,,, big mistake,,, n of Ireland 🇮🇪 licence in 99

I lost my bike but retained my c1 and ordinary licence, needed it in a hurry and at the time I was busted and the doctors eye test fee was was too much,,,,, big mistake,,, n of Ireland ���� licence in 99
    Im 50/50 about retaining the c1 as im not sur if i will ever use it again.

How does it work if i keep the c1,does this category go on my car license even though the c1 is only 5 years and the car is 10,is their an extra charge for that category on top of the £55?

Im 50/50 about retaining the c1 as im not sur if i will ever use it again.

How does it work if i keep the c1,does this category go on my car license even though the c1 is only 5 years and the car is 10,is their an extra charge for that category on top of the £55?

Do you have a C1 separate to your C1E with the national restriction?

• Advertisement

Do you have a C1 separate to your C1E with the national restriction?

I do,i have the c1 separate from the c1e with the 107 after the c1e on my english license.

Think u do need cpc, pain in they hole I kept up my annual cpc just in case but dropped it last year, as I didn't drive commercial in years and was really only keeping it as a back up when decorating work dries up

Think u do need cpc, pain in they hole I kept up my annual cpc just in case but dropped it last year, as I didn't drive commercial in years and was really only keeping it as a back up when decorating work dries up

you dont need the CPC to swap the licence. you need it if you plan to work with the licence

If you do need the cpc then i am just going to leave it.
    I done the cpc years ago and i had to do a full days course for every week for 5 weeks to catch up so i would say thats 5 years ago and im not doing that again.

Then again how would they insist on a cpc when you can drive without it if you telol them you are not driving for hire or reward?

you dont need the CPC to swap the licence. you need it if you plan to work with the licence

Is there an extra charge for the c1 on my new Irish licence on top of the 55 i will be giving then for the car licence?

If you do need the cpc then i am just going to leave it.
    I done the cpc years ago and i had to do a full days course for every week for 5 weeks to catch up so i would say thats 5 years ago and im not doing that again.

Then again how would they insist on a cpc when you can drive without it if you telol them you are not driving for hire or reward?

It's a waste of money unless you're intending to drive full time commercial, I'd never contemplate it and rather be on a site painting than putting up with all the ****e delivering, head wrecking

Ref cpc most employers request proof of it and its availableve on the rsa site to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Is there an extra charge for the c1 on my new Irish licence on top of the 55 i will be giving then for the car licence?

Not as far as I remember, but the doctor will charge for the medical report.

Think an eye test

Okay,i was just about to pay for a medical report but on looking at the driving licence application form it says "evidence of cpc IF required" among the checklist.

I had a cpc but its up 3 years and i never really needed it anyway as i always just used my 7 1/2 ton for private use so i would have thought they could add this category as i will not be using the category for "hire or reward".

Has anyone got this done without having to show the cpc to retain a category from the British licence or is a cpc now required even for your own private work?

There is nothing clear about this on the application form and there is no way of contacting them.

• Advertisement

Just for anyone who is still exchanging.

I done all my paperwork and was told in there that i should receive my licence in a while only to get a letter this morning saying i needed to go in to the UK DVLA site to get them a code no.

For this code no you need your old Uk licence no which they had taken of me,your old UK postcode,and your old UK national insurance to acess this code.

I was just lucky that i had an old photo copy of my licence that i was able to retrieve the licence no and postcode,then half a day up in the attic looking for my old national insurance no that i havnt used in decades and was not sure if i had it still,if you cant find this within ten days then your application is void,you lose your fee and have to reapply and you still need this information and good luck trying to get your old national insurance no from the UK within ten days.

Maybe this is normal but i did not know anything about it,did not see anything about it on the NDLS site and was not told anything about it when i went in with the application before i handed in my old licence.

I was just told my licence would be with me in about four weeks and the reference no would do me if i was pulled in,nothing about keeping the information of the licence they were confiscating or to make sure i knew my old natiional insurance no or what else i would need going forward.

Advertisement