Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Theta Network

Options
  • 30-12-2020 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭

Note: Not shilling, just information, DYOR. Thread dedicated to Theta.

What is Theta:
    Theta Network is the leading video delivery network powered by blockchain technology.

Theta allows users to watch video content and earn token rewards for relaying video. Now users can relay content without watching video using edge nodes. Rewards are paid out in Tfuel.

Theta’s unique multi-BFT consensus network consists of:
      Enterprise Validator Nodes
    • Community-run Guardian Nodes. Stake 1k min.
    • Community-run Edge Nodes. Free to use for anyone, no stake required.

Guardian Nodes:
    Validator Nodes propose and produce new blocks in the chain. Run by Google, Samsung, Binance, Theta Labs etc

Guardian Nodes seal blocks and act as a check on malicious non-functional Validator Nodes.

To run a GN first you need to download the Theta Web Wallet. Also available on Mobile.

Go to an exchange and buy Theta and transfer to wallet. The public address is same for Theta and Tfuel.

The minimum stake for GN has been reduced from 10k to 1k Theta earlier this month. Note: If you do not want pc running 24/7 you can delegate your stake to GPOOL. No fees currently.

Click here to view earnings from staking

Theta-net.jpg

Edge Nodes:
    This is the most popular node used by the community. The growth of edge nodes is insane, was only 1500 nodes late October to now 5000.

It is free to use and download by anyone. No stake required. Just a pc and your theta wallet setup.

The tfuel earnings you make each month are transferred to your public address.

The edge node originally consisted of the Edge Cache which you relay video bandwidth to other users in your area. This has been okay but not a lot of users in Ireland use Theta.TV.

A new addition has been sharing your PC power in conjunction with folding at home.

This is a distributed computing project aimed to help scientists develop new therapeutics for a variety of diseases by the means of simulating protein dynamics. This includes the process of protein folding and the movements of proteins, and is reliant on simulations run on volunteers' personal computers.

This is my edge node at work currently:
    edge-node.jpg

Theta TV
    The Theta.TV platform is really a test bed to demonstrate the capabilities of it's CDN. It's the network where the potential is.

However while the app is not the best, the web player is pretty good. Video on demand has been added recently which has been a game changer.

Note: you can earn tfuel here watching streams but only donate it to other content providers or spend it in the shop. You cannot move it off externally to another wallet so most folks here will only be interested in the GN and EN

theta-tv.jpg

Hopefully that answers some questions raised in the main crypto thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Edge node continued
    You can switch this on and off as your please. The PC does not need to be running 24/7.

This will be very flexible and useful to grow the community as nodes normally tend to need to be on all the time.

The folding at home power settings can be changed from low to high. Medium and High have the PC fans spinning depending on your GPU.

Folding-at-home.jpg

To access this dashboard, just type folding at home into google or click on the edge node icon in the icontray.

The team is currently ranked 299 in folding at home and climbing. Big companies in top 100 Intel, Nvidia etc.

Edge-compute.jpg

Smart Contracts
    Theta announced Smart contract capability to Mainnet 2.0 earlier this month.

There is now a token minter and some of the community are going nuts making TNT (Theta Network Tokens) this week. A bit of fun, BDOG's token below.
    NFT's are also coming onboard.
    Practically the same VM as eth's. It might be a baby eth at best IMO. 1000 tps.

EqWmVnnXcAAYjeW?format=png&name=360x360

Mainnet 3.0 and other news:
    Big news coming again in Q2 2021 with the release of Mainnet 3.0.

Two main protocols introduced:

1. Elite Node: Upgrade of the edge node to stake tfuel
    2. Tfuel burning to slow down or even reduce inflation of the token

Potential for DEX support also.

tfuel-supply.jpg

Price:
    Finally some price analysis. Theta had massive growth earlier this summer due to the Google Cloud announcement as a validator node.

There was another uptrend end of this year with news of 1k staking on guardian node and smart contracts capability.

theta-price.jpg

Currently ranked 19th in Market Cap, I think this video contributed to the price pump.
    Would probably be worth waiting for sub dollar again to get some or just dca.

That's enough information for now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

need your head examined to buy into that pump

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

KilOit wrote: »
    need your head examined to buy into that pump

who buys into a pump anyway?

Pre-elite edge node launched meaning you can stake tfuel.

Min 1000, max 100000

Price of tfuel currently 3 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    who buys into a pump anyway?

Why was Lex banned? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Just an update:

Edge Nodes coming very close to 10k. There is a big community growing.
    Capture.jpg

Folding at home weekly stats for January. Ranked 23 among the likes of Intel and Nvidia.
    folding.jpg

el diablo wrote: »
    Why was Lex banned? :confused:

I'm back, what did I miss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Wow that's a big announcement. I think I need to load up some more

Just hit 10k edge nodes too. I notice more and more the project is getting major attention.

It's up there now with the likes of eth, ada, dot, link as the alts to hold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Grayscale filing the Trust doesn't necessarily mean that they will ever offer it as a product, they have filed a few different ones recently. But it does at least mean that they are interested and are taking it seriously. Definitely worth grabbing a bag.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

THETA @ 2quid is still a great buy. IF it becomes adopted in the right way, it'll be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Bruno Mannheim

Rob2D wrote: »
    THETA @ 2quid is still a great buy. IF it becomes adopted in the right way, it'll be huge.

We are just about to move to the next leg up to circa $5

another big 24hrs for Theta

Wish I bought more at sub 50cents!

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Wish I bought more at sub 50cents!

in 6 months you will be saying wish I bought more at $2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

in 6 months you will be saying wish I bought more at $2

Bix Weir on Youtube says Theta will go to $1,000-$10,000 in the coming years. Therefore having a market cap bigger than the GDP of most of the world's countries. :rolleyes:

This guy has less than zero credibility though. He gets his crypto advice from fortune tellers and webbots.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Hold a few hundred of these, I wish I got in earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Threw a few quid on this hopefully it'll be worth something good in a few years

el diablo wrote: »
    Bix Weir on Youtube says Theta will go to $1,000-$10,000 in the coming years. Therefore having a market cap bigger than the GDP of most of the world's countries. :rolleyes:

This guy has less than zero credibility though. He gets his crypto advice from fortune tellers and webbots.

$1000. Bonkers
    Hold a few hundred of these, I wish I got in earlier

You are early still, has the potential to at least $20 this year minimum I'd say
    jonny_b wrote: »
    Threw a few quid on this hopefully it'll be worth something good in a few years

You wont have to wait that long

Anyone holding theta has to consider holding Tfuel aswell, they go hand in hand and I think Tfuel has bigger quicker gains to be had

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

$1000. Bonkers

You are early still, has the potential to at least $20 this year minimum I'd say

You wont have to wait that long

Anyone holding theta has to consider holding Tfuel aswell, they go hand in hand and I think Tfuel has bigger quicker gains to be had

Where can I buy theta, currently have a CoinMetro wallet.

Regards from a crypto noob

frag420 wrote: »
    Where can I buy theta, currently have a CoinMetro wallet.

Regards from a crypto noob

Binance is your best bet and then transfer it to your theta wallet.

There is plans to have a theta app for the ledger nano this year. I think this is an important item to get completed. Like to keep my theta in cold storage for few years.

I dont think you can get it yet on Binance US

Imagine when it does become available for the US..............

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

picked up some last night after a bit of research... thanks for recommending these guys

Daithi40 wrote: »
    picked up some last night after a bit of research... thanks for recommending these guys

if you can get some Tfuel aswell imo I would try hold some portion

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

if you can get some Tfuel aswell imo I would try hold some portion

done.... thanks again

14k edge nodes, that is astonishing growth. Hopefully they can use edge computing more to take advantage of this high number of nodes.

I'm pretty sure there was only 1.5k nodes in October which is insane.

Super super bullish. They gave a hint on the AMA in December.

Sony are now in the ranks as validator node with the likes of Samsung, Binance and Google Cloud.
    Sony's European subsidiary is the latest company to join the validator program of the Theta Network, a decentralized blockchain-based video protocol.

Sony Europe’s research and development group, the Center Europe Brussels Laboratory, has joined Theta’s enterprise validator and governance council program, the company announced Tuesday.

As part of the development, Sony will operate an enterprise validator node located in Europe to validate network transactions on Theta’s proof-of-stake consensus protocol. Sony Europe will also act as a member of the governance council to participate in strategic technology planning and ensure the network’s security and stability.

The validator program includes major technology firms like Google and Samsung, as well as industry firms like Binance, Blockchain.com and Gumi.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Only realized this thread was here today.I bought some back in December on Binance.

I know nothing about Tfuel or Theta really so just wondering is there something I should be doing when I already owe Theta?

I see staking mentioned a lot with crypto but as a newbie I hadn't done anything other than buy some 3 months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Theta and Tfuel living in opposite land to the rest of my red portfolio today

Advertisement