Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is Dolly's Grove airfield so private?

• 02-02-2021 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

I've always had the impression that Dolly's Grove airfield (north of Maynooth) is a bit of an outlier in that visitors are most definitely not welcome. With a 700-metre asphalted runway it's fairly unique as private airfields go, but compare it to Kilrush (Kildare, EIKH), where you're welcomed with open arms.

I was just messing around on Google maps now and spotted it. I zoomed in on Streetview to find that have it blanked out. I've only ever seen that with military locations (e.g. look at Custume Barracks in Athlone), so what's the big secret with it? I'm not saying there's anything to hide and I know that probably anybody can request privacy from Google Streetview (correct?) but as Irish airfields go it a bit odd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

I've always had the impression that Dolly's Grove airfield (north of Maynooth) is a bit of an outlier in that visitors are most definitely not welcome. With a 700-metre asphalted runway it's fairly unique as private airfields go, but compare it to Kilrush (Kildare, EIKH), where you're welcomed with open arms.

I was just messing around on Google maps now and spotted it. I zoomed in on Streetview to find that have it blanked out. I've only ever seen that with military locations (e.g. look at Custume Barracks in Athlone), so what's the big secret with it? I'm not saying there's anything to hide and I know that probably anybody can request privacy from Google Streetview (correct?) but as Irish airfields go it a bit odd.

I'm fairly sure it's area 51.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

It had no planning permission is one issue. It was the centre of some news stories a couple of years ago... Mainly because at the time the owners involment in vulture funds evicting people etc.. if you Google Richard Larkin airstrip you'll find a handful of articles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

The one on the left is no Cessna. very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Yes, I saw that, but it seems that even military enclosures are also visible from the air. It's just strange that this is not from the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭blackbox

Is that a Harrier parked there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

MAULBROOK wrote: »

Looks like a Harrier?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Looks like a Harrier?

From here.

airstrip.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

blackbox wrote: »

Great for blasting down to the shops. Parks like a dream

• Advertisement

A better photo of the runway. Looks like a fine spot. No wonder they want to keep it to themselves. The TBM700 regularly flies out of there and heads to the UK.

2016-03-16_iri_17720401_I1.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Theres a beautiful TBM 700 based there. N700EL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Won it on that Pepsi true lies competition back in the day ;)

Theres a beautiful TBM 700 based there. N700EL

Lockdown? What lockdown?

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flight/N700EL

541835.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

blackbox wrote: »

Lovely Harrier, I thought Sea Harrier due to the nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

MAULBROOK wrote: »

Harrier & also a Delfin. I wonder is that the Delfin that was at Cork for a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its a Harrier alright, GR3, XZ995. Strange pointy nose is a give away.

There was a guy in the US who owned a number of serviceable Harriers privately and was fully licensed to fly them. No need for a runway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Satellite shows a bit...

Is that an ex RAF Harrier aircraft on the pan?

Tzardine wrote: »

Anyone can request that their property is blurred out on Streetview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wtaf

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wtaf

Lockdown LOL

Planning laws LOL

Asking why its carefully kept as private as possible - Double LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Well,if it's got an identifier EIDG, then the IAA have approved it, so it's legal in their eyes. Some Planning officers might have a different view but that would be an ecumenical matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The voyrus can't infect you in Lourdes :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Would a private plane landing at a private airfield have to undergo any customs checks?
    <MOD Snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

vicwatson wrote: »
    Wtaf

tbm7 factory in Tarbes is there a possibility that it is not the same tbm7 and they are doing servicing of that particular type of plane

or going to lourdes

or skiing
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone can request that their property is blurred out on Streetview.

My brother in law done it to his house for the craic and they wouldn't reverse it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Well,if it's got an identifier EIDG, then the IAA have approved it, so it's legal in their eyes. Some Planning officers might have a different view but that would be an ecumenical matter.

Thought that would also mean they had it in the AIP but it's not there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

In many other countries this persons success would be seen as a positive and provide something for others to strive towards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

basill wrote: »
    In many other countries this persons success would be seen as a positive and provide something for others to strive towards.

Do you mean the success of building something without planning permission and getting away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Would a private plane landing at a private airfield have to undergo any customs checks?
    <MOD Snip>

Check with Weston. Historically speaking:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement