Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭irishgeo

New road markings and temporary cats eyes put down for the temporary diversion at breaffy.

The diversion is now open on the breaffy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Do we know if the work sites have closed or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hyland17

The job is closed until further advice from government. Have a mate on it and told to wait at home until he hears more.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 thomas385

Bit crazy all the same, like most of the work at this stage is done by diggers and the like. No major chance of spreading there.

The work on the Barley Hill stretch has been ongoing since Monday but I presume that will cease as well.

• Advertisement

Hyland17 wrote: »
    The job is closed until further advice from government. Have a mate on it and told to wait at home until he hears more.

why bother diverting the road if they were closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Hyland17

Official confirmation was given today. Had to keep the diversion open as the roadmarkings were laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Very strange as the N22 scheme is not closing as per posts on other thread.

N60 diversion courtesy of Jack Walsh Drone Photography

136047646_2817970801863626_5883221135458821400_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9e2e56&_nc_ohc=GQaoRO95GNMAX-AdJnt&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=14&oh=a52f8be8a99f0c01ec05b6d46f21cb3e&oe=602142B2

Drone shot of the future Islandeady overbridge, you can clearly see the foundations of the bridge abutments.

A 9-month road closure had been planned here, but after the locals complained and the parish priest threatened to lie down in front of the diggers, the contractor relented and built the small diversion you can see in the pic. A closure will still be needed to tie in the existing road with the new bridge, but I'd imagine that would just be a few weeks at worst.

Hopefully the contractor can get back to work soon.

138405733_2822397591420947_5125246320502720004_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9e2e56&efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&_nc_ohc=Ic3nOlYYKe0AX9g_b3_&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&tp=14&oh=ebfdce7468ec82249d3c7d998779bea1&oe=602654C7

Pic courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 thomas385

New issue of newsletter is up on the scheme website

some activity still going on. I seen a truck and tractor pulling a machine turning in at the breaffy crossing the last 2 mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There has been a decent amount of activity at the N84 junction in the last week or so. Not at the same level as previously but the two lads that stop the traffic are back and there is some work going on. Pretty sure I have heard some blasting as well.

Job is back open from today

Do you know if this is because there's been some change in guidance from the government or has Wills just decided this for themselves?
    Job is back open from today

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Do you know if this is because there's been some change in guidance from the government or has Wills just decided this for themselves?
    Some other jobs in Cork have resumed today after being suspended since Christmas. AFAIK it's at the discretion of the local authority as to what constituted critical projects and some others may have been moved into this category?

I was surprised that the N5 and N22 were stopped at all given that road construction work appeared to be in the clear - the guidelines state "repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure" is essential. Maybe the local authorities were just being cautious.

Either way, great news that it's starting up again. I can't wait to see the earthworks at Barleyhill and the traffic management plan they come up with for that area. The new road crosses the current N59 four times in just 1km so it won't be simple!

marno21 wrote: »
    Some other jobs in Cork have resumed today after being suspended since Christmas. AFAIK it's at the discretion of the local authority as to what constituted critical projects and some others may have been moved into this category?

The Connaught said it was after consultation between TII and the contractors

I was surprised that the N5 and N22 were stopped at all given that road construction work appeared to be in the clear - the guidelines state "repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure" is essential. Maybe the local authorities were just being cautious.

Either way, great news that it's starting up again. I can't wait to see the earthworks at Barleyhill and the traffic management plan they come up with for that area. The new road crosses the current N59 four times in just 1km so it won't be simple!

Divert via Castlebar

Update on the project from the Western People - it's still on track for completion in October next year, despite Covid lockdowns.

https://westernpeople.ie/2021/02/06/good-news-on-e241m-road-project-for-mayo/

• Advertisement

The breaffy road junction section has the old road removed already and trucks crossing the diverted section so beware of the crossing guards stepping out on the road to allow the trucks across.

First spans on the overbridge at the N84 junction going in at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yew_tree

What sort of central divide will be on this dual carriageway? A single wired fence like the Tuam bypass or a double sided crash barrier which I believe they are going to install on the Castlebaldwin - Collooney type 2 dual ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

It should be a double-sided metal crash-barrier, as that's the new standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

Hello,

I have two questions regarding road construction. Both of which can be seen on the N5.

Question 1. If you look at the areas where the new N5 crosses existing roads you will notice a patch of concrete. Why do they use concrete at these crossings ?

Question 2. If you look at the road you will notice big square drains, this is a general new road question. Look at the infamous Balla road realignment you will see a big square mass of water. Look at the Tuam bypass again you will see big square pools of water. I notice they have two of them built at Breaffy intersection.
    Can anyone tell me the engineering principles here ?

Thanks,

6541 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have two questions regarding road construction. Both of which can be seen on the N5.

Question 1. If you look at the areas where the new N5 crosses existing roads you will notice a patch of concrete. Why do they use concrete at these crossings ?

Question 2. If you look at the road you will notice big square drains, this is a general new road question. Look at the infamous Balla road realignment you will see a big square mass of water. Look at the Tuam bypass again you will see big square pools of water. I notice they have two of them built at Breaffy intersection.
    Can anyone tell me the engineering principles here ?

Thanks,

1. The big Volvo dump truck would have tarmac taken up in no time. The concrete is a stronger option for the crossing point.

2. I'm no engineer but it's basically holding ponds for water run off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Some dashcam footage of the N5 junction under construction at Turlough last Tuesday 23rd February.

• Advertisement

New aerial shot of the GSJ on the Ballinrobe Road in Castlebar.

547599.jpg

Pic courtesy of Jack Walsh drone photography.

Advertisement