Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

February Running Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Totally missed the 1st challenge!!

I'm currently in 90min 10k shape. Do I use that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kander wrote: »
    Simple, effective & painful :eek:

Howth head is within my 5 KM just about.

What do you think might be a good plan...Short and sharp with a lot of repeats on a steep area or a longer less steep continuous path?

Mathematically a steep one if its twice as steep as the gradual. Realistically though who would be able to walk for a week after doing the duration they are allowed of steep hill repeats? A long gradual one would be completed well within time bearing in mind the 5k rule so you'd then have to do repeats on the last section of that hill....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Totally missed the 1st challenge!!

I'm currently in 90min 10k shape. Do I use that?

Fortunately for you, you have spilled your guts out on this forum, reshared your successes and logs so many times that it would be quite appropriate to estimate your target at 35 ;) If you wear thick pink socks lest agree on 36 :D

The optimal strategy is probably a rollercoaster route that takes you from the lowest point in your 5k to the highest whilst accumulating elevation on the humps between hollows on the way up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

The most challenging thing about this challenge for me is the #mathematics :D, I have a fair few hills around me, just need to calculate which ones will get me the highest overall gradient within the time allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I have a probably stupid question - do you have to get home / back to the starting point again within the time? i.e. can I stop at x minutes then start a separate run on my watch to get back?

The most challenging thing about this challenge for me is the #mathematics :D, I have a fair few hills around me, just need to calculate which ones will get me the highest overall gradient within the time allowed.

I'm tempted to disagree...I think the theoretical best way of doing it would be beyond most of our abilities. Its one thing to work it out on paper but I have a hunch we wouldn't be able to do it after all that :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

For the first time ever, I am sorry I no longer live in Stepaside :D

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I have a probably stupid question - do you have to get home / back to the starting point again within the time? i.e. can I stop at x minutes then start a separate run on my watch to get back?

Rule #6 - Elapsed time only ;)

Edit: to explain a little. You will have to likely break your run into 3 runs. Your warm up to your chosen hill, bridge, steps etc.. (Unless you intend to not warm up for this :eek:). Start another run and ensure you stop it before your time runs out. It would really really suck to put this effort in to forget to stop it or stop it too late or remember that Strava adds a second! Consider also how fuzzy your brain will be towards the end of your time..

So, unless you have a long continuous climb that will keep you going for the duration, you will have to return to base/start, within the allowable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Up and down the new cabra bridge a few times might be a good shout :cool:

Yes, a possibility alright. Was over it recently, quite a drag. All about finding the right mix of grade/length I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Edit: to explain a little. You will have to likely break your run into 3 runs. Your warm up to your chosen hill, bridge, steps etc.. (Unless you intend to not warm up for this :eek:). Start another run and ensure you stop it before your time runs out. It would really really suck to put this effort in to forget to stop it or stop it too late or remember that Strava adds a second! Consider also how fuzzy your brain will be towards the end of your time..

So, unless you have a long continuous climb that will keep you going for the duration, you will have to return to base/start, within the allowable time.

This is absolutely made for a workout on the watch set for x:59 where x is (target time - 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Huzzah! wrote: »
    For the first time ever, I am sorry I no longer live in Stepaside :D

Ha, yes its almost feels like cheating if I do this with my location.

crisco10 wrote: »
    This is absolutely made for a workout on the watch set for x:59 where x is (target time - 1).

To be fair, that would be a high risk of DQ! Garmins by design keep the clock running beyond a workout until you manually press stop. Given the effort this challenge will take, I would not leave it in the hands of tech!

Rule#6 is set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

What if you come in a few seconds under your allotted time?

OOnegative wrote: »
    What if you come in a few seconds under your allotted time?

Anything under is fine. Anything over is DQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Lambay island

To be fair, that would be a high risk of DQ! Garmins by design keep the clock running beyond a workout until you manually press stop. Given the effort this challenge will take, I would not leave it in the hands of tech!

Rule#6 is set in stone.

So my time is 36. Am I allowed go to 36.59 or 35.59?

I honestly I debated putting in a rule that there would have to be at least 1 return to your base/start from your highest point. That would have made it more interesting for those with a mountain on their doorstep to decide at what point doe one turn back and peg to to the bottom!

I figured it would be too subjective and too complex to explain :cool::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭crisco10

Rule#6 is set in stone.

That's good to know! I had assumed it was like the TT workout where you could set a 5km interval and the watch stopped automatically at 5.00000.

But who am I kidding, if I do this "right" I'm going to be running with my left wrist in the air in front of my face for the last 5 minutes.

Just think of those TT threads where you couldn't find a flat course for love nor money. #yourtimetoshine
    I honestly I debated putting in a rule that there would have to be at least 1 return to your base/start from your highest point. That would have made it more interesting for those with a mountain on their doorstep to decide at what point doe one turn back and peg to to the bottom!

I figured it would be too subjective and too complex to explain :cool::rolleyes:

That would be serious craic. But would no doubt require multiple attempts.

So my time is 36. Am I allowed go to 36.59 or 35.59?

elapsed time no greater than 36:00. If Strava records your elapsed time as 36:01, thats a DQ. Up to you to risk how close you want to cut it.

crisco10 wrote: »
    But who am I kidding, if I do this "right" I'm going to be running with my left wrist in the air in front of my face for the last 5 minutes.

:D LMAO :D In my line of work, this is called a residual risk :D

• Advertisement

Any issues with someone cycling to the run location and doing it as long as it falls within their allotted time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

OOnegative wrote: »
    The lowlands of The Netherlands ain’t helping me on this one!!!!

Haha!

I have your Sliabh Ban run not far away here!

elapsed time no greater than 36:00. If Strava records your elapsed time as 36:01, thats a DQ. Up to you to risk how close you want to cut it.

Did you not use Garmin for the hour challenge? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭jackc101

I'm going to break out the map, compass, projector and set square on this one :D

jackc101 wrote: »
    I'm going to break out the map, compass, projector and set square on this one :D

Lads, I've nearly wet myself laughing at this thread this morning.. already a tonic for this Lockdown :D
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Did you not use Garmin for the hour challenge? ;)
    And manually pressed stop ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Had a quick look at possibly the best hill I could use which is in a field so weather depending. I think I've got a target of maybe around 155 m in 37 minutes. It'd be 31 hills with a 5 m gain. I've done 10 here before. What's another 21?

Starting to feel a bit ill and not convinced I'll get the 31 in. If my cadence looks a bit funny on Strava towards the end it's probably because I'm crawling.

Has anyone with a big hill beside them have an expected elevation gain for comparison?

I'm looking at a hill I used before for sprints. Usually 13s up and 40s down. This could become around 25s up and 45s down but I'm guessing a little. With 31 reps it gives me 155 m in just over 36 minutes.

Haha!

I have your Sliabh Ban run not far away here!

703ft of elevation over 10km!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Had a quick look at possibly the best hill I could use which is in a field so weather depending. I think I've got a target of maybe around 155 m in 37 minutes. It'd be 31 hills with a 5 m gain. I've done 10 here before. What's another 21?

Starting to feel a bit ill and not convinced I'll get the 31 in. If my cadence looks a bit funny on Strava towards the end it's probably because I'm crawling.

Has anyone with a big hill beside them have an expected elevation gain for comparison?

I'm looking at a hill I used before for sprints. Usually 13s up and 40s down. This could become around 25s up and 45s down but I'm guessing a little. With 31 reps it gives me 155 m in just over 36 minutes.

177m vertical over about 900m. Last time up was in boots with a 10kg pack and it took 13-14min up and roughly the same down.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

I do think those of us with mountains on our doorstep will be somewhat retarded by the current weather conditions so if we could re do this in July that'd be fab!!!

...also - 100% setting a count down timer on my watch for this to go off 15-20 seconds before my time elapses. The extra meter or two gained is NOT be worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Can we can stop anywhere and stop the watch to complete that run? if we have to walk/jog or crawl home that's a separate run?

Advertisement