Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

• 31-01-2021 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭

Coming in Next week the cheapest Ioniq Electric !!

€ 13999
    Fully Electric,
    Full service history, 98k miles
    Full NCT,
    Silver,
    Premium spec,

Free Nationwide Delivery
    This is from electric autos.

I would nearly downgrade from my 171 for the price difference. With 160,000km on the clock I would not be that worried still. I assume its a UK import.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

This doesn't inspire confidence.

I know it was an early production model and some of the issues are minor but nonetheless its a lot of issues in 15 months, some of which required a flatbed.

I doubt Tesla have resolved all of these issues with the Model X in the last year?

Having watched that I think I'd be slow to ever buy a 2nd hand Model X until there are clear indications that reliability is no longer an issue.

One positive thing, Tesla seem to have a no quibble policy when it comes to resolving issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same with the Model S. These semi hand built cars are far from well made and far from reliable. But as you say Tesla have a good reputation for sorting things in or even outside of warranty.

Cheap nasty plastic plates covering the bottom of the car is very unimpressive in a 100k + car :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

To be fair, the consumption and cycles on that model X are not likely to be the experience of most owners.

Bjorn's model x spends its life towing a trailer with higher wh/km , more heat loss and more battery cycles. Its what we term in statistical analysis as an outlier.

PS: I'd put money on the unsolved error being corrosion from the trailer connection screwing up the canbus.

PPS: Bjorn's videos - there are lots and I've probably watched them all many times - do nothing to deter me from buying a tesla in the near future. If anything they do the opposite - looking at the tesla aftercare.

PPPS: as an aside, I was currently rewatching this as we speak(or type):
    "#16 Tesla Model S road trips: Easter 2015 part 2"

ELM327 wrote: »
    To be fair, the consumption and cycles on that model X are not likely to be the experience of most owners.

Bjorn's model x spends its life towing a trailer with higher wh/km , more heat loss and more battery cycles. Its what we term in statistical analysis as an outlier.

PS: I'd put money on the unsolved error being corrosion from the trailer connection screwing up the canbus.

I don't think he is an outlier. Maybe he is in Tesla terms but not in the SUV bracket he isn't.
    i.e lots of people tow trailers. That's not an excuse for the high failure rate, imo

If they have it certified for towing it should work.

• Advertisement

There's not many drivers out there that do 100k km in a year outside of truck drivers.
    And a smaller subset of that again that do so pulling trailers.
    (My car is never off the road and I'm only at 50-55k per year)

Agreed if it's certified for towing it should work, of course, but I think the issue here is they tested the towing once and signed off, as opposed to longer term testing with effects on the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

unkel wrote: »
    Same with the Model S. These semi hand built cars are far from well made and far from reliable. But as you say Tesla have a good reputation for sorting things in or even outside of warranty.

The worry is can they deliver that service to a mass market car like the model 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

In fairness Bjorn got one of the very first Model X in europe.

The Fremont factory was still working out major production issues with the X at that point and his car was likely one of the first Model X off the re-assembly line in Tilburg.
    So he got a car, which had some of the most complex components (doors etc) ever seen in the industry, one of the first few thousand built on a new production line in Fremont, disassembled and shipped to europe and then that very same car was one of the first 10-20 units reassembled in Tilburg.
    He's kind of lucky that the car didn't arrive with the door hinges fitted backwards.

The reports from the US indicated a substantial quality increase the later your Model X was delivered. And at this point the Model X is old hat to the lineworkers at Tilburg.

cros13 wrote: »
    In fairness Bjorn got one of the very first Model X in europe.

The Fremont factory was still working out major production issues with the X at that point and his car was likely one of the first Model X off the re-assembly line in Tilburg.
    So he got a car, which had some of the most complex components (doors etc) ever seen in the industry, one of the first few thousand built on a new production line in Fremont, disassembled and shipped to europe and then that very same car was one of the first 10-20 units reassembled in Tilburg.
    He's kind of lucky that the car didn't arrive with the door hinges fitted backwards.

I acknowledged it was an early production model but its only 15 months ago (!) he got it, so I still stick to the point that I wouldn't be buying a secondhand one until I saw clear indications that subsequent revisions are MUCH better quality and thats going to take time for that to be confirmed. It isn't enough for Elon to say it! :)

cros13 wrote: »
    The reports from the US indicated a substantial quality increase the later your Model X was delivered. And at this point the Model X is old hat to the lineworkers at Tilburg.

I have to say I'd be skeptical of those reports, considering his car was Jul 2016! Its too early to make any definitive statements about quality for cars that are less than a year old.

Every new production line has kinks to iron out so maybe the ones rolling off the lines are good now... but anything on the secondhand market has to be a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

KCross wrote: »
    I acknowledged it was an early production model but its only 15 months ago (!) he got it, so I still stick to the point that I wouldn't be buying a secondhand one until I saw clear indications that subsequent revisions are MUCH better quality and thats going to take time for that to be confirmed. It isn't enough for Elon to say it! :)

Sure... I wouldn't chance going without a warranty on the doors alone.

• Advertisement

Ooh... I'd be worried about the glass and the mirror motors after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

KCross wrote: »
    I acknowledged it was an early production model but its only 15 months ago (!)

Makes me wonder if people need to readjust their perspectives in relation to the development of these EV's? 15 months is nothing in the traditional lifecycle of an ICE car, however Tesla seem to be continually making significant improvements.

From my speaking to a Tesla sales guy earlier this year, things are being continually improved. He cited an example of the seat back material used on the early Model X , which was prone to scratching, so they developed a new part, and retrofitted all existing models. This flies in the face of traditional mid life cycle "facelifts" in traditional models.

I'd guess that 15 months has seen a multitude of improvements in the Model X, and that will continue for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Early adopters are going to suffer when there is so much tech onboard from a car company that didn't exist a few years ago. I'm not at all surprised. That frozen door mechanism/window rubber is common with a lot of other cars too. It's why Gummi Pflege exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 s_o_s

My advice is to never buy a Tesla is the first year of any model's existence. I had a 2013 Model S and had to take it into the dealer six times in the first year for various irritating issues. I traded it in for a Model X when we had kids, a little over a year since the Model X launched, and have had zero issues in the last year and a half. No squeaks, no rattles, no software issues, perfect reliability. It's the best car I've ever owned (and amazing if you have toddlers, loading them into the seats beats even a minivan), and I'll heartily recommend it to anyone.

From all reports it's the same for the Model 3 - the first year of them involved terrible body work and general issues abounding, but more recently the quality has gone way up. Tesla skip the slow ramp that other manufacturers use in the name of getting cars in people's hands sooner, which is hard to fault them for. If you want a better guarantee of quality, wait a bit before buying.

So it's been a while since this thread.
    Any irish (or other) model X reports of unreliability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Any frameless door suffers in the frost, I burnt through two window motors in my early Mercedes CLS until a lego brick separator has been on my keyring for separating the rubber from the glass.

630?scl=1.7&op_sharpen=1

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

krissovo wrote: »
    Any frameless door suffers in the frost, I burnt through two window motors in my early Mercedes CLS until a lego brick separator has been on my keyring for separating the rubber from the glass.

630?scl=1.7&op_sharpen=1

I used to use my supervalu rewards card on my keyring. Finally came to use

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I used to use my supervalu rewards card on my keyring. Finally came to use

Can you not preheat the X so as to melt the ice before you leave ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

ted1 wrote: »
    Can you not preheat the X so as to melt the ice before you leave ?

Yes you can.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Yes you can.

Not that I own, or will ever own an X, but can you preheat it without having it plugged in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Not that I own, or will ever own an X, but can you preheat it without having it plugged in?

Yes, you can just use your Tesla app. Your Tesla doesn't need to be plugged in. It works with Model S, 3 and X. I'm not sure about the old Roadster.

ELM327 wrote: »
    So it's been a while since this thread.

Nice thread bump. Today I found out that the King of the Netherlands uses a Model X as his private car. You're in good company :D

C-XiOMuWAAA0Shh.jpg

unkel wrote: »
    Nice thread bump. Today I found out that the King of the Netherlands uses a Model X as his private car. You're in good company :D

Haha.
    I'm seeing 2017 X direct from tesla (UK) which are similar money to a fully loaded model 3 performance. And I really, reeeeeeallly prefer the looks and utility of the X. Even a 60/75D would do my trips fine. Hence the thread bump! It's one thing getting one on PCP where you don't have to worry about things like the FWD failures etc over time - but if you're owning as opposed to leasing, you would.

Very cheap! That just devalued all the 2016 / 2017 Leafs out there by a grand or two.

There were 2016 ioniq EVs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭zg3409

There were 2016 ioniq EVs?

Yes, probably 162, Main battery warranty until 2024 (8 years I think) but limited to 160,000km, so this car has none. You need to discount for this car compared to say 171 ioniq with 100,000km and many more years before new owner hits 160,000. 40,000 km average km covered per year since bought too might mean more wear on general parts, around 200km per weekday since new but new (first) nct and other warranty is 5 years and still valid. I would check all recalls done, but they can be done later under warranty. I would like to see if battery reports less than 100%, particularly if this was used as taxi in uk and routinely fast charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Seems all existing Ioniq threads are in level 5 lockdown :).

Regarding the 162 Ioniq coming up for sale mentioned previously............
    zg3409 wrote:
    Main battery warranty until 2024 (8 years I think) but limited to 160,000km, so this car has none.

I'm pretty sure the original Ioniq came with a 200,000km/8yr battery warranty, so it will have another 40,000km warranty left - probably 2 years for new owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

10k posts! Impressive! Why did the 2.0 thread get nuked? Considering ioniq is going to be a range for Hyundai we should give this thread a better title.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The problems with splitting posts from a closed thread, should be sorted now

Advertisement