Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walk slowly in the opposite direction......they will catch up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

dar31 wrote: »
    3 phase tractor driven generator, think its 35kva may be bigger was €3500 +vat 5 yes ago.

Don't think rotary are as power hungry as you think.

Would a small turbine and/or solar with backup battery be an alternative to a generator?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

dar31 wrote: »

Don't think rotary are as power hungry as you think.

It takes something like 2hp to actually turn the rotary, very little extra energy in the scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Would a small turbine and/or solar with backup battery be an alternative to a generator?

It would be more expensive than a generator. You have to transform up to three phase. You need a good size battery bank to store enough supply for 2-3 days power. You are still back to a generator if you need backup any more than a smaller generator would do to recharge batteries.

Slava Ukrainii

It takes something like 2hp to actually turn the rotary, very little extra energy in the scheme of things

That sounds very little to move about 50 ton minimum I say

Slava Ukrainii

That sounds very little to move about 50 ton minimum I say

Ye, I thought the same when a friend who put one in was telling me. But the whole thing is so well balanced and turns so slowly that it is all that it takes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ye, I thought the same when a friend who put one in was telling me. But the whole thing is so well balanced and turns so slowly that it is all that it takes

I think they float on water?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

I am not sure anybody would chance that with 30 ton of dairy cows on it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Some do I think but most are on wheels now afaik. Grasstec had a video on a boumatic one put in and showed a bit of the running gear side.
    Would love to put one in but part of affording it would be making the savings on labour and that means more extras on em and that drives the cost skyward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Mooooo wrote: »
    Some do I think but most are on wheels now afaik. Grasstec had a video on a boumatic one put in and showed a bit of the running gear side.
    Would love to put one in but part of affording it would be making the savings on labour and that means more extras on em and that drives the cost skyward

Depending on what spec they run on plastic or steel wheels. When I was in oz an old alfa rotary came off the track with 50 cows on it. Had to slowly turn it using straps and booming in and out a teleporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

blue5000 wrote: »

I know a guy that has one that floats on water. Even though I’ve been in his yard several times I’ve no idea about make etc. Those things don’t interest me. He’s sitting in an area that sees regular seismic activity, maybe that’s why he got that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

A man I know lost his job in 2010 and was at a loose end. He asked me could I source 2nd hand gennies for him to import and sell on. I sourced 6 from 35kva to 135kva and sent them over. I didn’t get paid for 5 or 6yrs because he’d an awful job to sell them because farmers wouldn’t buy them without a grant! (Well that was his explanation anyhow!).

A man I know lost his job in 2010 and was at a loose end. He asked me could I source 2nd hand gennies for him to import and sell on. I sourced 6 from 35kva to 135kva and sent them over. I didn’t get paid for 5 or 6yrs because he’d an awful job to sell them because farmers wouldn’t buy them without a grant! (Well that was his explanation anyhow!).

The lad I know with the rotary put it in before quotas went. I think he enjoyed the whole process of buying it more than anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The lad I know with the rotary put it in before quotas went. I think he enjoyed the whole process of buying it more than anything else!

Farmers are as prone to retail therapy as anyone, it's just that some of the toys are expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

while not a farmer , i did work on a large dairy farm in New Zealand twenty years ago as it was a good way of earning money during a working holiday

i was a herd assistant and worked in the milking shed for four months , six hundred cows , not saying i learned everything or close to it but i made observations none the less

unless the notion of irish dairying hitting the rocks is down to european policy re_ enviromental regs ? , i would not be too concerned as where ireland is today ( large expansion ) , New Zealand was more than twenty years ago

New Zealand has not suffered since then from what i gather so i dont see why irish dairying will either , the efficient guys who know how to manage costs like any other business will thrive , the biggest difference between Ireland and New Zealand from what ive observed is people in New Zealand who often have a backround in completely different sectors , often decide to enter dairying , they bring their experience with them , i suppose thats far less likely to happen here for cultural reasons and the fact that share milking does not exist here but who knows what the future holds and necessity is the mother of all invention as they say ?

doubt the irish government comes down too hard on dairying regardless of what europe says , FG and FF know how important the rural agri vote is and politicians dont ignore votes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Technically yes but it will take s fair belter of a generator to move a rotary parlour around. It's would be a fairly heavy three phase generator. I not b surprise if such a generator costs 50k plus

not sure what planet u are inhabiting my friend... 44unit rotary here and i just checked there we have a 75KVA generator.... i think it was 6/7k its a few years ago now.... rotaries arent that hard to turn.... there not supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

not sure what planet u are inhabiting my friend... 44unit rotary here and i just checked there we have a 75KVA generator.... i think it was 6/7k its a few years ago now.... rotaries arent that hard to turn.... there not supposed to be

How ye getting one with the parlour? Realisticly a one person milking operation? Does it take ye long from cups on to fully washed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭blackbox

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i would fear dairy goes the same way as beef , whats to stop another Larry in Dairy buying up a few coops and dairies? i see Kerry selling off shares last week, if these are bought by investment groups surely there sole mission is profit and so cut away at milk price once the supply lines are there lads can turn off the tap they are locked in. Would they just keep prices steady and start chipping away at it then. ? what is there to stop this happening?

Farmers don't have to sell their coops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

From an engineering perspective, if a rotary parlour is perfectly balanced and the bearings are perfect, then no energy is needed to turn the thing. In practice only power needed would be to overcome friction.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Sending nice sounds to the environmental lobby, same kind of thing happens with aviation etc

Nothing happens in practice

I live fairly near a bog which is protected and people aren't supposed to cut turf on , in reality , even the guards merely go through the motions and ignore those who cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Sending nice sounds to the environmental lobby, same kind of thing happens with aviation etc

Nothing happens in practice

I live fairly near a bog which is protected and people aren't supposed to cut turf on , in reality , even the guards merely go through the motions and ignore those who cut
    And rightly so. It’s traditional, cultural and good logical swop to a bag o columbian that was brought here with diesel fuel.

Jjameson wrote: »
    And rightly so. It’s traditional, cultural and good logical swop to a bag o columbian that was brought here with diesel fuel.

oh i wasnt having a go , i take turf off the same bog myself :D

came with the house

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭tanko

That article doesn't say anything, it's just a load of waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ireland has the lowest emissions in Europe when it comes to dairying. Why would you restrict dairying in Ireland and increase it somewhere else where the carbon footprint is higher.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Grueller

Look, it will come down to whether you have the land available or not. I have 55ish hectares owned. Build a summer parlour on the outfarm and all of that is a grazing platform.
    55 x 3.5 (mooted stocking rate per ha on grazing platform) = 192.5 cows.
    A savage amount of dairy farms around here have significant out farms. The boom would continue for parlour manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Mooooo wrote: »
    How ye getting one with the parlour? Realisticly a one person milking operation? Does it take ye long from cups on to fully washed up?

gwetting on very good... milking nearly 6 years now.... not one person as second person required for teat spraying.... must get around to putting in the TSR by delaval... then it will be one person no problem.... about an hr and a half to get it all done.... very easy milk heifers on it... cows really enjoy the spin around.... most important part of the whole machine is the track and rollers... the rest of it is the same as a herringbone.... Track and rollers have to be spot on... we were able to spin ours manually when it was ready to go.... as another poster has said.. the hardest part is getting it turning.. once it starts to move it requires little enuf energy even with 44cows up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

tanko wrote: »
    That article doesn't say anything, it's just a load of waffle.

The government have been putting plenty money into dairy here anyone who thinks they will pull the rug from under farmers now are living in dream land.
    Exporting slurry to tillage areas and a few weeks extra storage probably will be implemented at some point

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The government have been putting plenty money into dairy here anyone who thinks they will pull the rug from under farmers now are living in dream land.
    Exporting slurry to tillage areas and a few weeks extra storage probably will be implemented at some point

We could very well see wink-wink-nudge-nudge “restrictions” coming in. It’ll be more paperwork and stress for lads but as you said, given how much the Government have invested in TAMS and in supporting Teagasc’s dairy work, then that same Government will not want to reduce dairy exports or the revenue it generates.

There might be lots of huffing and puffing, and shaking their heads at water quality issues, but once the lip service has been paid and they’re behind their own closed doors again, the Government will just shrug their shoulders.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Could we see a day where it would be an offence to have to high fertility in soil samples

• Advertisement

K.G. wrote: »
    Could we see a day where it would be an offence to have to high fertility in soil samples

The problem there is that soil samples aren't actually anywhere near perfect and could in a lot of cases be questioned. But they would be fine for imposing fertiliser limits

Advertisement