Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow/Ice warning for Leinster, Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Connacht

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Colder air seems to be hanging around the Northern third of the country like Scotland last week. I wouldn't be surprised to see it push further South.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Keep the upgrades coming Meteorite58:)

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Colder air seems to be hanging around the Northern third of the country like Scotland last week. I wouldn't be surprised to see it push further South.

Well let's hope so, as a poster mentioned earlier these systems were suppose to barrell through earlier in the week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Yep. Might be better in the long term if the systems head south.

And this could increase the chance of convective showers here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Keep the upgrades coming Meteorite58:)

:)

It's creeping up but probably reached close to the limit now.

anim_muq6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

The funny thing is this cold spell could yet deliver more snow to some areas than the fi chase for a more sustained cold spell.

Definitely - I'm like a broken record on this point - but in my area at least, the heaviest snowfalls over the last 30 years have never been flagged by forecasts more than a day in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

The Gfs, ECMWF, and WRF all showing a risk of snowfall tomorrow with some accumulations in parts especially across parts of Connacht, Ulster and Leinster this morning. The Arpege which is normally sit more on the warmer side is showing a cold morning and day with some snow accumulations as that rain move in across Ireland on Sunday and turning to sleet and snow. Warning most likely been issued between 10am this morning and 5pm today by Met Eireann.
    WRF_048_ukn_ASN.png

ECMWF_048_GB_ASN_fr-FR_fr.png

GFS_054_UKD0_ASN.png

arpegeuk-45-47-0.png

Tomorrow
    Wintry outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will become widespread on Sunday morning. Some accumulations across the northern half of the country, before precipitation mainly reverts back to rainfall later in the day. However, wintry falls will persist across the far northwest into the evening hours. A very cold day generally with highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees Celsius, in fresh southeast winds. It will though be little less cold across the southwest with lighter winds here too.

Very wet in Arklow
    Approaching an inch of rain in the past few hours
    I'd say lug is in a blizzard

Harmonie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

EPS projection for 'snow depth' tomorrow:

5ZWmGKS.png

Again, not to be taken at face, but more giving just a general idea of where snow is more likely to potentially fall from this system.

New Moon

I am forecast dry conditions until Tuesday. And I would rather have it that way as all these fronts are doing is increasing the likelihood of mild weather pushing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Things are looking good, nice posts lads, this potential event has been slept on so far.

Harmonie

That Harmonie model is different to the Met Eireann one just incase you didn't know. :)

That Harmonie model is different to the Met Eireann one just incase you didn't know. :)

I was wondering why it had the Dutch, Belgium and French flag beside it. Any place we can view the M.E version snow accumulation chart? I'm thinking no.

Tomorrow
    Wintry outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will become widespread on Sunday morning. Some accumulations across the northern half of the country, before precipitation mainly reverts back to rainfall later in the day. However, wintry falls will persist across the far northwest into the evening hours. A very cold day generally with highest temperatures of 1 to 5 degrees Celsius, in fresh southeast winds. It will though be little less cold across the southwest with lighter winds here too.

Hopefully it peters out rather than turns back to rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

AROME 06Z below is the cumulative amount of snow predicted tomorrow and wouldn't take into account snow that has melted or washed out, even so a fair bit of lying snow in places for a time.

anim_bby3.gif

anim_umi3.gif

ECM probably down a bit on the last run but hasn't strayed too much over the last few runs.

fOnk3LF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Absolutely saturated outside with this rain. Even if there was significant snowfall I just can't see any meaningful amount settling.

circadian wrote: »
    Absolutely saturated outside with this rain. Even if there was significant snowfall I just can't see any meaningful amount settling.

If the temperature drops lows enough it will. The problem in very wet conditions is that the temperature is usually just a bit too high for it to settle

I was wondering why it had the Dutch, Belgium and French flag beside it. Any place we can view the M.E version snow accumulation chart? I'm thinking no.

The only real place is the graphic they put up on twitter which only shows the perception rate. I have contacted them about make there graphics more accessible in the future and they are to get back to me on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

circadian wrote: »

I'm not expecting anything on the ground here in south-east Meath anyway although there could be flakes mixed in with the rain. The ground is totally saturated and not cold after several very mild days.

Currently awful conditions outside, very windy, large pools of surface water and sideways rain with bits of sleet in it.

A wet ground aids evaporative cooling so I believe.

The WRF not holding back, temperatures about cold enough to hold wet snow on the ground for a time I would imagine if enough falls. Quite sleety in lots of places . Not the drier type snow like of last week, much wetter it would seem. Big temperature contrast with the SW by tomorrow evening, could be as much as 10C or so .

anim_hpu6.gif

anim_hgc3.gif

anim_cpr4.gif

anim_ect3.gif

anim_wrm8.gif

nmm_uk1-41-21-0_omu2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Bone dry here in Donegal for a change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

horrendous conditions here in Meath. Sideways rain which is turning more towards general sleet. Driveway flooded and garden is a swampy mess. If conditions were better this would have been a full scale blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dublin airport TAF has rain turning to Sleet tomorrow between 10am and midday

BECMG 3108/3110 -RA BKN012 TEMPO 3110/3112 3000 RASN BKN005

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

4.5c in Sligo

I think it will only drop to 3c tonight as way to windy so probably sleet here but inland may see snow before morning

The sun is out here! Nice cool, and crisp day. You would never know there was a front to the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Dry here in Kildare now but bitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Raindrops in D24 have started to get a heavy look to them, bot sure id call it sleet but its getting there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement