Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/TIST in the Spotlight- OONegative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,531 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great reading here. Great thread and really interesting answers...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Excellent. Another trawl through AMK’s back catalogue. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Itziger wrote: »
    I'm with you on the bullying, disgusting behaviour and it would indeed break your heart to see your own going through it.

I have the one question for ya, B.

What marathon (in an ideal/non-covid world) are you thinking of for the sub 3 effort?

Ok, Question 1.1, What training plan would you use? Homemade? Online coach? Hansons? JD's? The two lads with the funny surnames?

I’ve unfinished business with a Spanish marathon D, so Valencia in an ideal world with you breaking the wind for me on a pacing gig then showing me the more salubrious watering holes you know there.

I’d go with another plan by the two lads with the funny names, the P&D stuff suits me and I like the way there plans are laid out. Even a buffoon like me can easily follow them. The plans of JD and Hanson’s require a degree in nautical physics!!!!

Don’t be shy folks, here till Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

1. Would Alan Pardew have saved ADO if the season had finished off last year.

2. Did you play hurling or just football?

3.sports person you most admire and why.

4. You mentioned being bullied in school, what advice would you give your teenage self.

5. Do you listen to podcasts?

Sorry if any of the above have been already asked

• Advertisement

Hey D, hope all’s good man, thanks for the questions.

In one word no, they are heading for the Eerste Divisie this season. It’s a club I’ve come to learn that there is a lot of infighting in at the upper levels. The Chinese owners don’t want to invest any kind of decent money on players either.

The turn over players wise is crazy also, something like 18/19 new players brought in with absolutely no cohesion or consistent team taking the field week on week.

It’s a shame as the supporters are 100% loyal & committed to the club, when the young lad & myself were going to all home games it was the same people week on week there cheering them on.

No I never hit a sliotar in a competitive way. There is no hurling in the part of Westmeath I’m from, Athlone has the closest club but none of the lads committed to traveling there to play. All the proper hurling in the county is played north of Mullingar towards the Meath border.

3. Sports person you most admire and why.

Huge Michael Jordan fan growing up, so probably him. He is and always will be the greatest to play the game, the thing’s he done on a basketball court at times defied logic.

4. You mentioned being bullied in school, what advice would you give your teenage self.

Very easy to say now but I would have told myself to be more assertive and stand up to those people.

It’s one thing I’m thankful to AGS for, was still a bit timid entering the job but I soon learnt to be more authoritative with people. Look if I didn’t in that roll I was going to be walked all over.

I was a stern but fair copper and loads respected me for it. I only wished I could have done that in my teens.

No, I’m not a podcast man. Read a huge amount of sports news though. Not a man who listens to music/podcasts while running either, feel like I’m losing out on what’s going on around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

OOnegative wrote: »
    Hey D, hope all’s good man, thanks for the questions.

In one word no, they are heading for the Eerste Divisie this season. It’s a club I’ve come to learn that there is a lot of infighting in at the upper levels. The Chinese owners don’t want to invest any kind of decent money on players either.

The turn over players wise is crazy also, something like 18/19 new players brought in with absolutely no cohesion or consistent team taking the field week on week.

It’s a shame as the supporters are 100% loyal & committed to the club, when the young lad & myself were going to all home games it was the same people week on week there cheering them on.

No I never hit a sliotar in a competitive way. There is no hurling in the part of Westmeath I’m from, Athlone has the closest club but none of the lads committed to traveling there to play. All the proper hurling in the county is played north of Mullingar towards the Meath border.

3. Sports person you most admire and why.

Huge Michael Jordan fan growing up, so probably him. He is and always will be the greatest to play the game, the thing’s he done on a basketball court at times defied logic.

Very easy to say now but I would have told myself to be more assertive and stand up to those people.

It’s one thing I’m thankful to AGS for, was still a bit timid entering the job but I soon learnt to be more authoritative with people. Look if I didn’t in that roll I was going to be walked all over.

I was a stern but fair copper and loads respected me for it. I only wished I could have done that in my teens.

No, I’m not a podcast man. Read a huge amount of sports news though. Not a man who listens to music/podcasts while running either, feel like I’m losing out on what’s going on around me.

Thanks for that. Fair play. One more question if I may.

6. 3 Non- negotiables for you and the people around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

What's up Oonegative been a while eh?
    Still lurk here from time to time, great to see you are still going strong with same enthusiasm for running as back then.
    Always liked when you threw a song title into your log from time to time. The 4th Dimension, saw them in cork in 95, stellar line up that weekend for dance music. I was 16 at the time, nothing has come close to it since.
    Great times back then, the system, mansion house and Columbia mills, the smell of Vicks always takes me back to those days.

Sorry I don't have any questions for ya.

6. 3 Non- negotiables for you and the people around you.

For me it’s running, a time will come when I’m no longer able to do it I know that but for the moment the benefits it gives me are non-negotiable. It’s good for my physical and mental health and it sets a good example for our children to.

For my wife, social interaction. She’s the people person in the house and I know she needs interaction with people outside the house to keep herself sane!! Thankfully she has a very close friend here to meet up with a few times a week to stop her going demented!!

Our children, Mammy & Daddy and our dog, he’s a six month old cockapoo called Arlo. He’s a pain in the bo!!ix chewing everything at the minute but they love him!!

wowzer wrote: »
    What's up Oonegative been a while eh?
    Still lurk here from time to time, great to see you are still going strong with same enthusiasm for running as back then.
    Always liked when you threw a song title into your log from time to time. The 4th Dimension, saw them in cork in 95, stellar line up that weekend for dance music. I was 16 at the time, nothing has come close to it since.
    Great times back then, the system, mansion house and Columbia mills, the smell of Vicks always takes me back to those days.

Sorry I don't have any questions for ya.

How’s tricks man, hope all’s good?

Moby followed by the 4th Dimension then The Prodigy to finish Friday night off. Saturday spent in the Dance tent with Billy Nasty, David Holmes and the geniuses that are Underworld. Sunday with Carl Cox, Dave Clarke and Laurent Garnier in the Dance tent before capping the weekend off to Phil & Paul and the ambiance master class of Orbital. Some weekend that!!!

• Advertisement

How’s tricks man, hope all’s good?

Moby followed by the 4th Dimension then The Prodigy to finish Friday night off. Saturday spent in the Dance tent with Billy Nasty, David Holmes and the geniuses that are Underworld. Sunday with Carl Cox, Dave Clarke and Laurent Garnier in the Dance tent before capping the weekend off to Phil & Paul and the ambiance master class of Orbital. Some weekend that!!!

Telling ya man, unbelievable weekend. Orbital Chime still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

Soundcrowd were my personal favourite. Very little out there in the past 20+ years that can come close to the music we had back then. Always makes me smile when I hear young lads in their kitted out cars blaring out music from back in the day..

I'm good, still tipping away following a couple of spinal surgeries. Won't be PB'ing anytime soon but who cares. Like yourself I find the runs great for sorting out the old bonce. The wife pushes me out the door most days to ensure I stay on top of it, well that's what she says, I reckon she just needs an hour's peace..

Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread, so take it handy man.. keep up what you are doing, it's clear to see you are doing great for yourself and are a good pal and voice of reason to many in these parts.

Telling ya man, unbelievable weekend. Orbital Chime still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

Soundcrowd were my personal favourite. Very little out there in the past 20+ years that can come close to the music we had back then. Always makes me smile when I hear young lads in their kitted out cars blaring out music from back in the day..

I'm good, still tipping away following a couple of spinal surgeries. Won't be PB'ing anytime soon but who cares. Like yourself I find the runs great for sorting out the old bonce. The wife pushes me out the door most days to ensure I stay on top of it, well that's what she says, I reckon she just needs an hour's peace..

Sorry don't mean to hijack your thread, so take it handy man.. keep up what you are doing, it's clear to see you are doing great for yourself and are a good pal and voice of reason to many in these parts.

Before ya go, Longford Town Festival 1994 the Soundcrowd played Friday evening. Whole main street of the town shut and next thing they drop 6th Season, I never seen so many baseball wearing little scobies come out of nowhere. The crowd went from 50 to 250 with one song, lads throwing all kinds of shapes but loving the music. Hairs stand on end every time I play that song!!

Look after those injuries sound rough, keep the running up for the bonce, most important, take care.

Before ya go, Longford Town Festival 1994 the Soundcrowd played Friday evening. Whole main street of the town shut and next thing they drop 6th Season, I never seen so many baseball wearing little scobies come out of nowhere. The crowd went from 50 to 250 with one song, lads throwing all kinds of shapes but loving the music. Hairs stand on end every time I play that song!!

Look after those injuries sound rough, keep the running up for the bonce, most important, take care.

Ah now there's an absolute belter, Tim and Mark at their best.. can confirm I wasn't one of those scobies that night ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Great idea, CBG.

I think all the good questions have been asked, but I couldn't let this thread go by without contributing, so:

1. All-time favourite TV show?
    2. If you could go on an all-expenses trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Thanks, OONeg.

Thanks for the questions,

1. All-time favourite TV show?

I’m a big fan of 70s/80’s British sit-coms, Allo Allo, Last of the Summer Wine, Dads Army, Are you Being Served etc. But the one that tops them all would be Only Fools and Horses, they don’t make tv like that anymore. Mind you some of the comedy in it would have the modern day PC brigade screaming for blood.

Of modern day stuff The Inbetweeners & Friday Night Dinner, ok not exactly intelligent watching but I mostly like to switch off and not really concentrate when watching tv.

2. If you could go on an all-expenses trip anywhere in the world, where would you go?

Good question, I’m not really into exotic destinations holidays wise. But one place I do love and hope to bring our children to someday is New York. My wife & myself have visited 4/5 times and absolutely love the place, words can’t do the city justice. So much to see and do that you probably couldn’t see it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Greatest song of all time?
    Greatest live performance of all time?
    Best cover song of all time?
    Blur or Oasis?
    Orbital or Prodigy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A couple more from me:

1. List your PBs?
    2. Would you try a track meet now that you’ve done a couple of sort of’ track appearances? And what was your best 12 mins (if not listed above)?
    3. You mentioned you can do pain more than most. I agree. What’s your secret?
    4. Who’ll make the gravy for our dinner party?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Murph_D wrote: »
    A couple more from me:

Thanks!

Ohhh very good question!!!

Greatest song of all time?

https://youtu.be/m9Y1X2FdEMY

This, it’s dark, hard and you can just lose yourself listening to it, a tune that should never ever be touched as it’s already perfection in my opinion.

Greatest live performance of all time?

I’ll break this down into band & DJ:

https://youtu.be/cxB7TELms2U

The first time I seen them and the best. I was so close to Keith Flint that night I could smell his breath. Pure raw energy they were, still to this day the adrenaline immediately courses through my veins when I see this. Power failure wasn’t even going to stop them doing there thing that night.

DJ: I had the pleasure of seeing Billy Nasty live in The System in Longford in ‘95. He went on after Tommy Stewart warmed the place up and played from 11pm-4am, way past drinking up time in those days. The local AGS came in a few times to shut it down but decided it was better leave it run or face all out carnage from 500 odd people that were packed into the place(way overcrowded). Amazing night!!

Best cover song of all time?

https://youtu.be/o72NpKj0nxw

Not 100% a cover but it samples the scary ass intro to “Twin Peaks” and is a belter of a tune.

Blur or Oasis?

Neither, there music wasn’t my cup of tea growing up so never listened to either. Obviously knew Oasis was the more popular choice.

Orbital or Prodigy?

Prodigy all day, Orbital are a fantastic group and some of the music they have produced is legendary but Prodigy holds a special place in my heart.

*Not one ecstasy tablet was popped while listening to the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Unknownability

1.Did you watch the intermediate final this year? If so what were your thoughts?

• Advertisement

1.Did you watch the intermediate final this year? If so what were your thoughts?

No, didn’t watch the live feed. Followed it on Twitter & had a cousin in England watching live giving me updates also. The sending off changed the game according to anyone I spoke to about it. They have become the Mayo of Westmeath Intermediate football always around the semifinals and final but just can’t make the breakthrough.

Great to see Moate back in the upper echelons of Westmeath club football to, a Tang man helped greatly along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Unknownability

No, didn’t watch the live feed. Followed it on Twitter & had a cousin in England watching live giving me updates also. The sending off changed the game according to anyone I spoke to about it. They have become the Mayo of Westmeath Intermediate football always around the semifinals and final but just can’t make the breakthrough.

Great to see Moate back in the upper echelons of Westmeath club football to, a Tang man helped greatly along the way.

The sending off had a huge impact also Tang missed a few guilt edged goal chances in the first half.

Yes, Spanner and Ger had a massive impact all the way to an All Ireland semi final. I had a pint with spanner after the match in Mullingar and then he came into Moate for a pint during the week, an absolute gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Super effort B, really enjoyable read.

Just a few more for ya...

1. What would you do to save the Leinster football championship?

2. What was the last piece of sporting action that had you jumping around your sitting room in celebration?

3. Who wins....Utd 98/99 or Utd 07/08?

4. Who is your second favourite ever Man Utd player? (you are dead to me if Keano ain't your favourite!!)

The sending off had a huge impact also Tang missed a few guilt edged goal chances in the first half.

Yes, Spanner and Ger had a massive impact all the way to an All Ireland semi final. I had a pint with spanner after the match in Mullingar and then he came into Moate for a pint during the week, an absolute gentleman.

Moate man obviously? Yeah Paul is a gent alright, serious player in his day.

Cheers again D,

1. List your PBs?

5k - 17.57 - Klaverbladloop Nov ‘19
    5mile - 31.43 - Fr Murphy’s 5 mile March ‘13(now defunct)
    10k - 38.28 South Dublin 10k July ‘19
    10mile - 64.09 - Trim 10 miles Feb ‘16
    Half Marathon - 1.22.38 Amsterdam Half Oct ‘19
    Marathon - 3.15.10 Köln Oct ‘18

2. Would you try a track meet now that you’ve done a couple of sort of’ track appearances? And what was your best 12 mins (if not listed above)?

I might alright if & when races return D, 3,450m was my best effort at the Coopertest.

3. You mentioned you can do pain more than most. I agree. What’s your secret?

Thickness/stubbornness call it what you will, I refuse to let a race get the better of me so I just keep pushing till I finally reach the finish line, when the mind is in the game I can really rinse myself. I have dropped out of races but that was more throwing the towel in rather than wanting to make myself hurt.

Me of course, I’m well able to cook and make a mean roast dinner. Just my wife is a better cook at most things, I specialise in certain meals!!

Aw man, just watched that whole Prodigy set - unreal. My fav performance was semple stadium in 97, can't put my finger on why I'd pick that over 95.
    Moby Go, superb choice.

Ok I've thought of a question:

Did you watch Inside the K? If so, if you were the guard that was being goaded and called homophobic names by that upstanding young man, would you have remained so calm. I suspect he got a dig when the camera stopped rolling. I actually know people who featured in it from both sides of the tracks, I'm blanch born and bred so it was a very interesting watch.

Cheers J,

1. What would you do to save the Leinster football championship?

Can it be saved? Dublin are so far ahead at present it will take years for others to catch up. I read John Connellan’s open letter and while every bit of it makes sense will it be implemented? Meath & Kildare have the footballers to make Leinster competitive again they just don’t have the money or the facilities at the minute to do it.

2. What was the last piece of sporting action that had you jumping around your sitting room in celebration?

Jumping around the pub do? Galway’s victory over Waterford in the 2018 All Ireland hurling final.

3. Who wins....Utd 98/99 or Utd 07/08?

98/99 - the golden age of United. Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Stam etc shade it for me. Cole, Yorke, Sheringham & Solksjaer like what kind of strike force is that, unbelievable!!

4. Who is your second favourite ever Man Utd player? (you are dead to me if Keano ain't your favourite!!)

Giggs first, Keano second. Nobody will again achieve what Ryan Giggs done in English Club football, no player will ever win 13 Premier League titles with one club again.

Aw man, just watched that whole Prodigy set - unreal. My fav performance was semple stadium in 97, can't put my finger on why I'd pick that over 95.
    Moby Go, superb choice.

Ok I've thought of a question:

Did you watch Inside the K? If so, if you were the guard that was being goaded and called homophobic names by that upstanding young man, would you have remained so calm. I suspect he got a dig when the camera stopped rolling. I actually know people who featured in it from both sides of the tracks, I'm blanch born and bred so it was a very interesting watch.

I can hand on heart say I never gave anyone a slap in my 17 years in the job. What purpose does it serve? I was spat at, pissed on, had human excrement thrown at me in a cell a few times but I never lost my rag with any of the people that done it. They were either to out of it to realise what they were at or else hoping you would rise to the bait and no way was I giving them that satisfaction. As I said I was stern but fair, taking drugs or beer off them had a much bigger effect on them than leveling them with one.

I did work with lads who every time they engaged with lads had to give one a dig of some kind, I had no issue telling them I didn’t agree with it but some peelers are just thick and will not listen. If I knew it was coming I just walked away and had no hand, act or part in it.

As for watching the programme you mention, I hated stuff on tv about AGS, made my skin crawl a lot of it. We’re Guards, no business being stars of an RTÉ programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Proudest athletic achievement(s) to date?

• Advertisement

I can hand on heart say I never gave anyone a slap in my 17 years in the job. What purpose does it serve? I was spat at, pissed on, had human excrement thrown at me in a cell a few times but I never lost my rag with any of the people that done it. They were either to out of it to realise what they were at or else hoping you would rise to the bait and no way was I giving them that satisfaction. As I said I was stern but fair, taking drugs or beer off them had a much bigger effect on them than leveling them with one.

I did work with lads who every time they engaged with lads had to give one a dig of some kind, I had no issue telling them I didn’t agree with it but some peelers are just thick and will not listen. If I knew it was coming I just walked away and had no hand, act or part in it.

As for watching the programme you mention, I hated stuff on tv about AGS, made my skin crawl a lot of it. We’re Guards, no business being stars of an RTÉ programme.

Whole heartedly agree with ya, no business doing what was essentially a reality TV show. Was just interested to get your perspective on it as I know another lad in the guards who had the exact same view as yours on that TV show.

I still found it interesting at the same time as I guess part of me regrets not joining the guards.

BTW by no means was I suggesting you would have been one to give a slap. You have always come across as level headed and an extremely fair man and I know that would have translated across into your job.

Advertisement