Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A/R/TIST in the Spotlight- OONegative

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad!

Apt quote on the Jaffa Cake debate.

I'm just picturing trying to put candles in one and presenting it to one of my kids on their birthday. Wouldn't end well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

But who makes the best Jaffa cakes? They aren't uniform in nature with different companies making them with different tastes and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

MY BAD wrote: »
    But who makes the best Jaffa cakes? They aren't uniform in nature with different companies making them with different tastes and texture.

Correct, any of them bar mcvities can take a hike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

– Jaffa cakes follow the same basic ingredients of a cake, including egg, flour, and sugar mixture which was aerated on cooking and was the same as a traditional sponge cake.
    – The ingredients mix to make a thin batter rather than the thicker dough expected for a biscuit texture.
    – Cakes are expected to be soft and friable while biscuits are supposed to be crispy and able to be snapped.
    – Jaffa cakes have the same soft texture of sponge cake.
    – A Jaffa cake will go hard when it’s stale, like a cake, while biscuits go soft

Most importantly, they’re cheaper because the tax man deems them to be a cake.

“The Irish Revenue Commissioners also regard Jaffa cakes as cakes, since their moisture content is greater than 12%. As a result, they are charged the reduced rate of VAT (13.5% as of 2016).”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Which kimberleys specifically? ......... This is important. Lol

0002_3524_kimberley_CORE_200g-for-3D-3.png

These bad boys :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I think I'm with P on this...It contains sponge(like in a trifle, which is cake) jelly & chocolate...I don't really consider it a biscuit.

Trifle is not cake!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Is this the Biscuit Forum..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »

If only you had just answered Custard Cream :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If only you had just answered Custard Cream :pac::pac:
    Someone would have claimed that was a sandwich :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

This conversation really isn't helping my being off sweets, chocolate, biscuits and cake.... Mad craving for a pack of kimberleys now. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Most importantly, they’re cheaper because the tax man deems them to be a cake.

“The Irish Revenue Commissioners also regard Jaffa cakes as cakes, since their moisture content is greater than 12%. As a result, they are charged the reduced rate of VAT (13.5% as of 2016).”

Now this is genuine research. All the evidence, whether anecdotal or empirical, points to cake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Jaffa cakes are cakes the same way a peanut is a nut and a tomato is a fruit.

Thanks for the questions all week folks, I’ll have the new victim along this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Thanks for the questions all week folks, I’ll have the new victim along this evening.
    Ah you're not off the hook yet are you? Well sure ignore these if you are (I've already had a go anyway), but I'll add them in case.

What sportsperson (living or dead) would you pick to meet/go for a pint with?

Ever daydream about doing something completely different career-wise? If so what would it be?

So do you dunk your jaffa cakes?? :D

Certainly won’t ignore,

Terry Fox, to see what made him so determined to do the Race across Canada. He died a young man but he taught people a lot older than him a thing or to. An inspiring person.

Ever daydream about doing something completely different career-wise? If so what would it be?

Professional sportsperson, I always dreamt of playing in the NBA as a young fella so probably shooting guard for the Chicago Bulls.

So do you dunk your jaffa cakes?? :D

Nope, one mouthful and gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Certainly won’t ignore,

Terry Fox, to see what made him so determined to do the Race across Canada. He died a young man but he taught people a lot older than him a thing or to. An inspiring person.
    Wow, have to admit I hadn't a clue who that was but I've just read up - unbelievable. I can see why you'd want to spend an evening with him alright. Incredible that he made it so far too, seriously inspiring.

Advertisement