Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cooking Mojo And Covid

Options
  • 27-01-2021 10:52pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Mod noteI've noticed in the Here's What I Had For Dinner thread that some of us seem to lose our cooking mojo on and off since Covid reared its head, so I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread on the subject :)

*Posts moved to begin new thread.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    What rut Mystery? Homemade burgers are fab. I love making them. If the rut is sick of cooking, I completely understand.:D

Arra my rut is that I can't think of anything to cook. I've a fridge full of food and I stand there looking at it, uninspired, and end up cooking the same things over and over, or that's how it feels. It's a lockdown thing. I'm bored senseless with my own food.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Arra my rut is that I can't think of anything to cook. I've a fridge full of food and I stand there looking at it, uninspired, and end up cooking the same things over and over, or that's how it feels. It's a lockdown thing. I'm bored senseless with my own food.

I'm bored senseless with my own food too. But I'll get the mojo back soon. I hope.:eek: Defo a lockdown thing though. Makes a regular cook go mad. Day after day. Breakfast, lunch and Dinner. I'm going nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

That is me to a tea.
    I am also cooking for myself..breakfast lunch and dinner everyday. I dont know how people did it before all this. I hate it!

snap!

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    That is me to a tea.
    I am also cooking for myself..breakfast lunch and dinner everyday. I dont know how people did it before all this. I hate it!

snap!

I used to love it, but with a break, like a meal out for dinner or a fry up breakfast in a cafe. Maybe a club sandwich at lunchtime. The stay at home or a sneaky Deli, doesn't cut it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I find it's like life in general at the moment, peaks and troughs. For a week or two I'll cook everything from scratch and eat really well, then I'll go into a funk and cook handy things that I regret by the time I'm eating them. I'm not enjoying comfort food like stews as much as I normally would in winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Helen Rosner had a great one in the new yorker - the joylessness of cooking.

I think cooking because you have to, more so than you want to has taken the shine off everything. I still get bursts of "hell yeah! I am making bagels" and also "ugh, even going to the chipper means i have to make a decision about what i want to eat"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm not enjoying food at all and somehow seem to be eating more of it than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Mod noteI've noticed in the Here's What I Had For Dinner thread that some of us seem to lose our cooking mojo on and off since Covid reared its head, so I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread on the subject :)

*Posts moved to begin new thread.

Check out some of the apps out there that give suggestions based on what ingredients you have.
    SuperCook.
    Allrecipes Dinner Spinner.
    BigOven.
    Epicurious.
    Cookpad.
    Tasty.
    America's Test Kitchen.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not enjoying comfort food like stews as much as I normally would in winter.

Very much this. I think comfort food is comfort because it warms and fills you up after a day of running around and facing bad weather. Sitting at home and staring at the bad weather through the windows doesn't really set you up for it as much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m 100% off my game too. I’m relying heavily on the same couple of trusty meals, and even they aren’t doing it for me anymore tbh. I don’t even feel like things taste as nice as they used to. I can’t think of anything I’d really look forward to eating at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm the same. I think it's partly down to simply feeling depressed about the whole thing, but also down to different shopping habits. These days I try and limit my shopping time, so instead of visiting several different shops and doing 2 or 3 shops a week, I tend to stick to just one shop and as few visits as possible. Not only that but I try to get in and out as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I'm glad it's not just me.

In the grand scheme of things it's not much to be complaining about but i think it's just part of my general sense of frustration and boredom.

Alun you are right about the shopping part too.
    Im the same i would be popping into different shops on my way home from work to get something thats not sold in my local supermarket etc and the monotony of buying the same stuff week in week out definitely is playing a part.

I know meal planning would be good for me as im only cooking for myself but its far easier to not cook for myself too When I cant be arsed, because noone but me is losing out.
    Find myself just wanting to throw on a pizza or eat shyte instead of an actual dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah same here. It comes and goes. It's hard with the kids too, and I try to make dinners that we'll all eat, which isn't always easy. With breakfast, lunch, dinner, tea, you'd be cooking all day......while trying to work from home!!

When I'm in the zone, which has been the last 2 weeks, I try to do a load of batch cooking so I have stuff in the freezer for those low mojo days.

Something I've only started to do since the first lockdown is meal planning. It's part lockdown, part working from home, part feeding 3 kids! But I find it easier if I know what I'm doing beforehand. I used to just decide on the day what I was making for dinner and pick up the stuff and the way home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Jeez Foodies, youse have it real bad! :eek:

I think cooking new things might help. Doing same old, same old means you can get stuck in the doldrums. The BBC food site is fantastic for different ideas. As you are probably aware, I swear by it. :rolleyes:

Also the fact, with the virus, you're cooking for the same faces (your own included) every bloody day. I say share the load. Get someone else, including the kids, to cook for a change. If you're living by yourself, can you share your meals with neighbours/friends/family nearby?

I found a Nigella recipe for Norwegian Pork Ribs that we're having tomorrow. It reads like Gravadlax with pork instead of salmon. Bought a fantastic slab of pork belly in FXB's, I'm so excited to see how it turns out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/norwegian_pork_ribs_56168

Keep the faith people, you're fantastic! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They look fab, G.
    You have enough enthusiasm for all of us - I hope it's contagious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭raclle

I'm constantly searching cook books, websites and YouTube for new dishes and inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

OK. I challenge someone to make Hasselback Potatoes.

First person to post a pic here gets to choose the next item.......:)

Nooo i used the last of my spuds today! I'll have to go shopping! :D

Hmm...breakfast.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Ah thank god its not just me then.
    Its the boredom of it,everyone is always around.

I think its the constant cooking. I used to get rid of the kids to school and him to work .And i could cook leisurely.

And im actually not too bad,my kids arent really fussy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I’ve been totally abusing the maggi bags this lockdown, have become totally lazy. Agree visiting only one shop has changed what I’d normally be cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't want to derail the thread but I just don't see the retail environment as high risk at all.
    I'm not seeing anyone, not visiting anyone (apart from my elderly mum) or having visitors and going nowhere except to work and for local walks and, of course, I wear a mask in shops and busy places ..
    but it will not force me to shop differently.
    I live in the city centre and use The English market and my local supermarkets and shops and will shop daily if I wish - avoiding close contact with people.
    Perhaps some will think this is wrong but the lack of spikes amongst retail staff indicates a level of safety to me.

I think this has helped me maintain my mojo, that and just having more time, too.

I've never been one for a big weekly shop or meal planning and I can't see me starting now.

I dont fear the supermarket or going to multiple shops. I just dont go to them all in the same day
    We are all meant to be limiting our movement to stop the potential of spreading it unnecessarily.

I am working from home so I only go out to shop for food these days but im not going to be driving to all the places i would have passed on my way home because i am no longer driving 40km each way a day.
    If i could walk..maybe it might be a different story but its not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    If i could walk..maybe it might be a different story but its not

Virtually all my shopping is done on foot.

Thats the great thing about living in the city. Everything is right there.

Anyway...i think I'll bake a cake this weekend to add some excitement to my life..thinking lemon drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've no problem going to loads of different shops but it's the time and effort. Queuing, masks, etc. The days of watching a recipe on TV and then popping out to specifically get the ingredients for that particular dish are on hold. I also don't have the time as I am busier than I have ever been in work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m not worried about contracting the virus in shops either, but it’s the environmental change that has put me off. I used to love a mooch around the shops, picking things up, inspecting them, putting them back, doubling back on myself, taking my time.

Now it feels like a time challenge, get in and get out as fast as possible and for the love of Christ don’t touch anything you’re not going to buy! I don’t love wearing a mask for longer than I need to because it makes me do something weird with my jaw (some psychological thing related to keeping the mask in place, I think), which causes pain. When I stop to look at things, I now have to be aware of where other shoppers are - am I too close to them? Do they want to get within 2 meters of what I’m looking at? Is that person standing there waiting for me to move on? Right, I’ll just grab something and go.

I used to go shopping to relax and lose myself but now it’s all about heightened attention and other people, no matter if it’s Tesco or the English Market.

I don't mind food shopping either, though I don't tend to linger. The odd time there's someone not social distancing it really bothers me - the other week I was picking yoghurts in Dunnes and a woman bumped into my back! I could have cheerfully strangled her. I can only wear a mask for so long before it triggers an enormous hot flush which isn't great.
    I never feel stressed while I'm shopping but I must do, because when I get home I'm always exhausted and feel a bit frazzled.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I absolutely hate shopping, but love cooking.. if anything covid has given me an excuse to hurry the GF up and 'get in and get out' :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I am so sick of cooking. I do my meal plans every week - and never stick to it fully because by the time the day comes round I don't feel like whatever it is. I am trying to make sure we have limited food waste too, so its a challenge at times. I schedule a take away into our meal plan every week - because we have to have a treat, and a night off.
    Sometimes, when I really don't feel like something, I will google some of the other ingredients I have just to see what else I could rustle up. Sometimes, this has turned into a disaster, but more often than not, it has worked.
    Lunch for me is the worst meal - dinner you can make exciting, and I am not a morning person, so routine and same thing every day works for me. Lunch however, it is just awful.
    @Gloomtastic, I might take you up on that challenge this Sunday - however, I've just seen fondant potatoes on What I had for dinner thread, and have never tried them, so might do those!

Advertisement