Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 4/128GB £129 Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

GBX wrote: »
    Does the Note 9 have NFC ?

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Vodafone have the 128GB redmi Note 9 with €100 off at the moment. So €99.99. I ordered online, no need to top by 20 and next day delivery.

Apologies if this has already been answered. Does the Voda one come unlocked?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭oinkely

Vodafone have the 128GB redmi Note 9 with €100 off at the moment. So €99.99. I ordered online, no need to top by 20 and next day delivery.

Do you have a link for that? Not coming up with any discount when i search for it?

Scratch that, just found it.

oinkely wrote: »
    Do you have a link for that? Not coming up with any discount when i search for it?

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi/redmi-note-9.html?gallery=payg

It's only if you're changing from another Network to them. Suppose even if you're with vodafone, you could easily get a sim card from somewhere and "change" network, get the phone, then use your current sim card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

oinkely wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭melikebanana

chops018 wrote: »

It's only if you're changing from another Network to them. Suppose even if you're with vodafone, you could easily get a sim card from somewhere and "change" network, get the phone, then use your current sim card.

It's a porting deal. I used an old three Sim card I had in the drawer.

It's a porting deal. I used an old three Sim card I had in the drawer.

Yeah I see that. Handy for you. Great price for the phone. I got it over Christmas for £129 on Amazon.

Recommended it to my sister then but the price the last couple of weeks seemed to be sticking at £200 on Amazon, so last week she just bought it in Vodafone for €199.99 as she's a Vodafone customer. Pity, she could have saved a few bob with this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

brightkane wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been answered. Does the Voda one come unlocked?

Yes it is,and it's dual SIM.Have mine since Christmas,I always buy cheapest phones going as they always get broken on site and for €100 it's a beast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Yes.

Is this confirmed as working? I've just watched a review on YouTube that said despite Xiaomi's claim of NFC on the handset he couldn't find it and Google Pay wouldn't allow the phone to be used for contactless payments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Is this confirmed as working? I've just watched a review on YouTube that said despite Xiaomi's claim of NFC on the handset he couldn't find it and Google Pay wouldn't allow the phone to be used for contactless payments

Yes it's working on mine with an Ulster Bank debit account.
    Also it was updated to miui 12 but is still running Android 10 incase people are interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep working fine on mine with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭phester28

Yes.

Not all versions of the Note 9 have NFC so be careful.

One I bought has not got it one has. Both called Note 9 same spec otherwise.

Check in the add to be sure if you were ordering from amazon. If it turns out it did not have it then you could return it at zero expense to you

Slightly off topic, but is it worth connecting your bank card to this phone and paying with the phone via NFC? Never did it before! Presume you can just take your card off Google Pay quite easily if you wanted.

The box for the phone had an NFC sticker on it and when I was setting the phone up I think I remember it asking me to set up Google Play, plus when you do the pull down screen where the short cuts to Wifi etc. are the shortcut to turn NFC on is there also, so mine definitively has it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Slightly off topic, but is it worth connecting your bank card to this phone and paying with the phone via NFC? Never did it before! Presume you can just take your card off Google Pay quite easily if you wanted.

The box for the phone had an NFC sticker on it and when I was setting the phone up I think I remember it asking me to set up Google Play, plus when you do the pull down screen where the short cuts to Wifi etc. are the shortcut to turn NFC on is there also, so mine definitively has it!

Yeah its worthwhile. Means you dont need to carry your wallet - use your phone at tills etc. You can use it for Revolut/N26 etc as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭poitinstill

darn it got the redmi 9 last week in same deal.. 3G ram /32 G rom. .. i presume the note 9 is 4g ram and a better camera...

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

grogi wrote: »
    That doesn't prove anything: 48 sims work in 3-locked phones.
    No they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

chops018 wrote:

Do you have to top up just once and then leave it at that? And this is the version with nfc?

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've the pro and NFC works with Google pay no bother.

The Bluetooth doesn't bloody work with my wireless earphones but NFC is fine.

morgana wrote: »
    Do you have to top up just once and then leave it at that? And this is the version with nfc?

I ordered one yesterday with a free Eir sim I had. Used that to port to Vodafone to get the offer. Not putting any money on the new sim, its going into the bin. Gonna stick my regular sim into the new phone work away. Not paying any extra.

• Advertisement

Also see that Three are doing an offer on this phone as well if you port your number to them: €129 when you post (€50 off) for those that may miss out on the Amazon/Vodafone offer.

https://www.three.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi-redmi-note-9.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭glog

Also see that Three are doing an offer on this phone as well if you port your number to them: €129 when you post (€50 off) for those that may miss out on the Amazon/Vodafone offer.

https://www.three.ie/shop/phones/xiaomi-redmi-note-9.html

That's the 64GB version

Oops - didn't notice that

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

Is the 3 phone open, or locked to the 3 network?

Lmkrnr wrote: »

Not sure. Ive bought mine from Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Back down to £139 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Do they have fast charging? The global versions have and it's a must.

Lmkrnr wrote: »

Typically unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I ordered one yesterday with a free Eir sim I had. Used that to port to Vodafone to get the offer. Not putting any money on the new sim, its going into the bin. Gonna stick my regular sim into the new phone work away. Not paying any extra.

Is the phone from Vodafone locked to Vodafone or unlocked?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have the Redmi Note 9S for 8 months, i had intended it as a short term solution to my samsung S20 going boom.
    In the end i was so happy with the redmi i got a refund for the S20.
    Battery is actually insane on this thing, im getting 3 days from general use.
    Actual day to day use it does everything the S20 could do and feels just as quick in the users hand.
    Highly recommend.

Is the phone from Vodafone locked to Vodafone or unlocked?

AFAIK unlocked. Was mentioned in the VF Black Friday thread about them being unlocked - that was from somebody who had bought and tried a non VF sim.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058031922 - its in there somewhere! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 psawyer

Hi everyone,
    Would anyone know if an an post sim would work on this as a throwaway? It’s the only sim I can get my hands on to use at minute.
    Thanks

psawyer wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Would anyone know if an an post sim would work on this as a throwaway? It’s the only sim I can get my hands on to use at minute.
    Thanks

Just try to order and see if it works.

Hi everyone,
    Thanks

Don't see why not - Postmobile to VF (or 3) requires a port.

glog wrote: »
    Don't see why not - Postmobile to VF (or 3) requires a port.

Vodafone did cancel migration orders from sims they consider throw-away...

How would they know?

Before Xmas I had an order cancelled for a Samsung A21 - I think it was the volume of orders - It was coming to €39 once you ported. I just reused the sim I used for that order (Virgin). They were not accepting

I posted this in the Vodafone thread:

VF aren't accepting numbers from Tesco, Lyca or 48. So an Eir or three SIM are the only options" Order an Eir sim. Should have it 24/48 hours

How would they know?

How would I know?

They might for instance cross-reference the number with the history of calls available in their systems. Very unlikely that an actively used SIM never connected with another VF number.

How would I know?

They might for instance cross-reference the number with the history of calls available in their systems. Very unlikely that an actively used SIM never connected with another VF number.

Sorry - this sounds like urban legend.
    I don't believe they would be able to distinguish 'throw away' numbers from any other number.
    Plenty of people use sims as backup's or electric gates that have no apparent activity but remain active with minimum top ups etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Sorry - this sounds like urban legend.
    I don't believe they would be able to distinguish 'throw away' numbers from any other number.
    Plenty of people use sims as backup's or electric gates that have no apparent activity but remain active with minimum top ups etc.

You have to specify which network it is.

You have to specify which network it is.

I don't get what point you are making ?

Are you saying they just blanket ban all numbers of a certain operator?
    If so, then that is different to refusing 'throw away' numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭manodepeeple

For what it's worth, I ordered and paid for the Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 from Vodafone yesterday using a Lyca SIM (with no usage history). They just sent a text to the number asking for verification.
    Haven't received the phone yet, but have the An Post tracking No. and bank account was debited...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Hi everyone,
    Thanks
    I tried using a post mobile sim before Christmas, it wouldn't go through. I got a message saying "the number was a Vodafone number" therefore wasn't egilible for the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 psawyer

Yep. Can confirm it won’t work with postmobile sim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Will it work with 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

pm1977x wrote: »
    Will it work with 48?

Worked for me, no problem.

It is confirmed that the VF Note 9 version has NFC and dual SIM? The specs on the website are useless lol.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

morgana wrote: »
    It is confirmed that the VF Note 9 version has NFC and dual SIM? The specs on the website are useless lol.
    The one I bought from VF is dual-SIM and has NFC.

For some reason, the second IMEI # printed on the box has a sticker covering it, which might make you think it's single-SIM, but it's not.

Cool. Pulled the trigger on the order. Used Lyca Mobile and it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Do you have to sign up to a monthly vodafone top up for this offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭A Law

kaltz wrote: »
    Do you have to sign up to a monthly vodafone top up for this offer?

No. 99.99 in total for the phone delivered.

Advertisement