Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

biko wrote: »
    Ireland's other POC mayor has not been a particular target of racist abuse.
    But then he hasn't much got involved in the craziness of BLM (although he's black) and just goes about his mayorly duties and doesn't go nuts on twitter or anything, maybe that's his secret.

He appears to want to do his best for his electorate, and, from what I've seen, gets stuck into getting things done.

Strange that all the racists, nazis, bigots, etc. that apparently follow Hazel hither, thither and yon, and haunt her every waking hour, seem to leave him alone.

Oh so that's it is it? The solution is for POC to stay quiet. Keep your head down, don't speak about injustice and you'll be just fine?!.

Which of course was not said in the post you quoted.

Can you point me towards a threat of sexual assault was made against her child?

Oh so that's it is it? The solution is for POC to stay quiet. Keep your head down, don't speak about injustice and you'll be just fine?!

Hazel Chu shouldn't be subject to racial abuse and threats to her family for speaking up! Don't blame the victim.

Nice strawman.

I didn't say he stays quiet, or keeps his head down, or doesn't speak about injustice.

He just doesn't make up fictional stories about non-existent racist attacks in order to build up a profile and get his name in the media.

He seems to do well for himself just doing his job like most other politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,525 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Oh so that's it is it? The solution is for POC to stay quiet. Keep your head down, don't speak about injustice and you'll be just fine?!

Hazel Chu shouldn't be subject to racial abuse and threats to her family for speaking up! Don't blame the victim.

Hazel Chu wasn't racially abused outside the mansion House, that has been established.

Hazel Chu has consistently told the Irish people that this country is inherently racist, which is not true. People have the right to be angry with that assessment of our country, that does not translate to Hazel Chu being an open target for abuse but the problem with becoming entangled in identity politics is that you choose to drag yourself down into that mire.

Le Cheile released a statement via twitter in the wake of the mansion House incident which had no basis in fact but they are a group who are backed by the usual cohort of right on voices in Ireland so their lack of research leading to racial division is accepted.

If a person of colour holds public office and decides to engage solely in their duties instead of engaging in online arguments with cretins like the Barretts it is probably down to the fact that they recognise both the importance of their role and the absolute lack of any real organised racist groups or indeed the lack of institutionalised racism in this country. It is not akin to keeping quiet and not speaking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

I think that is what is expected. Hazel Chu is too strong a woman to do that though and it really grates on a lot of people. Personally i find it hilarious how much she triggers people just by being a strong confident non-white woman in her position. I'm sure she will go on to have a very good career in politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

It's quoted earlier in the thread. I don't want to post it again as I find it quite triggering. But the implications of it were clear to see. Can't believe you're trying to minimize and excuse it.

An arsehole said something mean to a politician on twitter, stop the presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

When the word 'triggering' is being brought into the conversation/argument then it's time to regroup.

It's quoted earlier in the thread. I don't want to post it again as I find it quite triggering. But the implications of it were clear to see. Can't believe you're trying to minimize and excuse it.

I'm willing to run the risk of your being triggered in order to get to the facts of this particular matter so here goes...

Here is the tweet in question quoted verbatim; "She should be more worried about her daughter getting wanked on in the future by an "asylum seeker" than being racially abused".

That is not a threat. It is some clown making the assumption that an asylum seeker would be likely to engage in said lewd behaviour.

Nobody has minimized or excused it. There was some debate about the merits of reporting it to the Gardai, but beyond that it was not handled in the manner you are suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

nullzero wrote: »
    I'm willing to run the risk of your being triggered in order to get to the facts of this particular matter so here goes...

Here is the tweet in question quoted verbatim; "She should be more worried about her daughter getting wanked on in the future by an "asylum seeker" than being racially abused".

That is not a threat. It is some clown making the assumption that an asylum seeker would be likely to engage in said lewd behaviour.

Nobody has minimized or excised it. There was some debate about the merits of reporting it to the Gardai, but beyond that it was not handled in the manner you are suggesting.

Nobody wants to have the image of a man doing anything sexual to a child. It's a very disturbing tweet that someone would even put those two things together and should be investigated. The thought process of someone who would put something sexual in with a child to make a point is absolutely sickening. How you can't see that makes me very concerned.

Nobody wants to have the image of a man doing anything sexual to a child. It's a very disturbing tweet that someone would even put those two things together and should be investigated. The thought process of someone who would put something sexual in with a child to make a point is absolutely sickening. How you can't see that makes me very concerned.

Why do you think it doesn't make me concerned?

• Advertisement

Just looked at the name of that new poster and realised we've been played.

Well done sir/madam. Well done.

Its a sickening image, made by an absolute creep. BUT, people don't get arrested/investigated for their thoughts yet, theres a name for it I think.

Oh right. Yeah, I am not minimizing what was said. I think it was an awful way to get a point across.

It was however not a threat, sexual or otherwise.

Triggering? Ha. Good stuff.

Welcome to Boards.

Oh right. Yeah, I am not minimizing what was said. I think it was an awful way to get a point across.

It was however not a threat, sexual or otherwise.

Triggering? Ha. Good stuff.

Welcome to Boards.

Check the name (and translate it into English).
    Doubt that poster is serious tbh.

That's why I said it was not a tweet I'd stand by or promote.

But it wasn't a threat and it wasn't a crime.

RandRuns wrote: »
    Check the name (and translate it into English).
    Doubt that poster is serious tbh.

Isn't it sad that we can't be 100% sure?

There are some posters here that make this one look like a centrist.

Isn't it sad that we can't be 100% sure?

There are some posters here that make this one look like a centrist.

:D

Very true. That poster is probably one of the saner ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

This is proof positive (as if we didn't already know!) that Ireland is not a welcoming place for POC.

Nonsense. Paul O'Connell was capped 108 times for Ireland and hasnt had to put his hand in his pocket in any pub in the land since 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

This is proof positive (as if we didn't already know!) that Ireland is not a welcoming place for POC.

The poor woman. We only made her Lord Mayor of Dublin and gave her a plush residence in the Mansion House. How unwelcoming of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Invidious wrote: »
    The poor woman. We only made her Lord Mayor of Dublin and gave her a plush residence in the Mansion House. How unwelcoming of us.
    You made her mayor did you?
    I doubt very much you voted for hazel chu yet now you claim her you gave her the title of mayor.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

More victim blaming!

How is that "victim blaming"?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Who do I go to for death threats and threats of harm????
    Yes you would say the Gardaì, which I done so and nothing could be done even though I had text messages, letters etc.....

These new era snowflakes.....eh

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

You made her mayor did you?
    I doubt very much you voted for hazel chu yet now you claim her you gave her the title of mayor.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

I'm sure you thought that was a zinger...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nonsense. Paul O'Connell was capped 108 times for Ireland and hasnt had to put his hand in his pocket in any pub in the land since 2004.
    And one of our biggest national heroes musically is the awesome Phil Lynnot.

A longtime friend Jim Fitzpatrick has said: "Twice in his lifetime in Ireland Philip was racially abused, both times by drunken idiots."

Back then there wasn't much racism.
    But now it's abundant apparently?
    What changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ooh ahh Paul McGrath is a national treasure.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ooh ahh Paul McGrath is a national treasure.

Until he became too fond of pints of the black stuff....I mean...coloured stuff.... I mean stuff of colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,412 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A longtime friend Jim Fitzpatrick has said: "Twice in his lifetime in Ireland Philip was racially abused, both times by drunken idiots."

Back then there wasn't much racism.
    But now it's abundant apparently?
    What changed?

Would it have anything to do with the fact that a small noisy group of far-right loons has emerged in Ireland who believe in nonsense like the great replacement theory, wherein the days of Phill Ireland was a different place?

There is one point that is interesting, I could never understand how Trump had any black support until I read a fascinating article on this, which theorised that for some black people mostly older racism makes you an A-hole thats all, but for the younger woke generation it is seen as a personal moral transgression and evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

mariaalice wrote: »
    Would it have anything to do with the fact that a small noisy group of far-right loons has emerged in Ireland who believe in nonsense like the great replacement theory, wherein the days of Phill Ireland was a different place?

Swings and roundabouts.

For every group of far-right loons, there's an equal number of far-left loons.

Equilibrium must be maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People offended for others that wouldn't be offended or return the same thought on them woke idiots.....

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »

There is one point that is interesting, I could never understand how Trump had any black support until I read a fascinating article on this, which theorised that for some black people mostly older racism makes you an A-hole that all, but for the younger woke generation it is seen as a personal moral transgression and evil.

Interesting, so as Ireland has become more modern, people started travelling more, freedom of movement, had more non white public figures and beloved celebrities and become more connected with the rest of the world (media & internet) you feel we've gotten more racist, not less ?

Black people supported Trump for as many different reasons as anybody likes any politician, they're not a monolith, they all don't think the same.
    From the interviews I've seen online they liked his policies, would be of a more conservative mindset on topics such as abortion and the fact he promised more jobs and the line "what have you got to lose?" appealed to those black people who felt forgotten about in the Democrat inner cities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement