Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porsche Taycan

• 22-07-2020 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,658 ✭✭✭✭

The configurator has been online for a few days, have been feverishly speccing one up for the crack, hopefully in 2 years a 4s will be relatively affordable.

not quite sure how they get to 157k for this one :eek:

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/porsche/taycan/fpa/202007211521922?journey=Search

jesus porsche are bad for add ons, you have to pay extra to get 150kw dc charging.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I won’t have to worry about that configuration:D

You’ve obviously checked your euro millions ticket......when you collecting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,658 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Gumbo wrote: »
    I won’t have to worry about that configuration:D

You’ve obviously checked your euro millions ticket......when you collecting :)

A man can dream :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Cyrus wrote: »
    jesus porsche are bad for add ons, you have to pay extra to get 150kw dc charging.

It's one of the stranger things about the Taycan.
    It comes as standard with 350kW charging, but will only achieve 50kW on the normal 400V chargers. The extra price is to enable the more powerful 400VDC convertor to enable you to use 150kW DC chargers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,339 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    It's one of the stranger things about the Taycan.
    It comes as standard with 350kW charging, but will only achieve 50kW on the normal 400V chargers. The extra price is to enable the more powerful 400VDC convertor to enable you to use 150kW DC chargers.

Yes, it's really strange,
    if you connect it to a 150kW charger it may get only 50kW. The charger has to be configured for 800v in order for it to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

THIS.
    Is the brand new, 2020, Por SHA, Taycan....
    Take it out on the road and drive it, and then I'm going to give it, a doug score.

His reviews are so predictable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Seen one at the Galway plaza yesterday, damm fine looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭innrain

Autocar has a road test for Turbo S in this week no. Lots of technical data for the geeks. At the end they discuss residual value and they compare the Taycan to Merc AMG GT 63S both around £140k starting price. "Expected to be worth more after 4 years than Mercedes after 3 years".

Standard rear wheel drive Taycan is now coming available. Autobild youtube channel showed it last night.
    In Germany they were talking about a lease rate of around 500 euro per month based on German tax rates for benefit in kind on electric company cars.

I can see that car putting a huge chunk in demand for Tesla Model S in Germany.
    Middle Managers will order it in preference to a Tesla Model S irrespective of how much faster the Model S is or how much longer the range is because there is good ionity coverage on mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,733 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Any idea of price?

• Advertisement

Standard rear wheel drive Taycan is now coming available. Autobild youtube channel showed it last night.
    In Germany they were talking about a lease rate of around 500 euro per month based on German tax rates for benefit in kind on electric company cars.

Middle Managers will order it in preference to a Tesla Model S irrespective of how much faster the Model S is or how much longer the range is because there is good ionity coverage on mainland Europe.

So does that make the lineup
    - S
    - 4S
    - Turbo
    - Turbo S

Ionity cover may be good but Tesla's is better, cheaper, more readily available and offers more range.

Offering either a model S standard range or a Taycan S at 500 pcm would be a good deal though, so Id expect large takeup of the Taycan base model as you outline

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I still argue that a Taycan is more similar to the 3 than the S in terms of driving experience and packaging.

Irish price is 94k incl. Performance Battery Plus, which gives 350kW on overboost vs 340kW for a Model 3P.

Dunno what the range will be like, but Ionity@€0.33/kWh will take a tiny sting out of the 29k price difference.

I would seriously consider upgrading from my 3 to a Taycan if I had the money, but I wouldn't even consider an S, regardless of what is in the forthcoming refresh. The S is more like a Panamera.

Lumen wrote: »
    I still argue that a Taycan is more similar to the 3 than the S in terms of driving experience and packaging.

Irish price is 94k incl. Performance Battery Plus, which gives 350kW on overboost vs 340kW for a Model 3P.

Dunno what the range will be like, but Ionity@€0.33/kWh will take a tiny sting out of the 29k price difference.

I would seriously consider upgrading from my 3 to a Taycan if I had the money, but I wouldn't even consider an S, regardless of what is in the forthcoming refresh. The S is more like a Panamera.

I've not seen any below 115k on the Irish configurator.
    It gets worse when you add such options as "150kW charging" or "type 2 charging cable". porsche are good at making things options that you need!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Looks like it'l need a forklift to get over a speedbump.
    Does it have variable suspension?

Just specc'd up the new base model (which is not called the "s" as I guess, just called "taycan") and it's 98k including such "options" as adaptive cruise, 150kW charging, type 2 cable and granny cable, as well as the 90kWh battery.

If I were ordering I'd also be adding mission E wheels and some custom interior so you're probably looking at 110k.

Porsches are not cheap, never were :D

Agree with Lumen that a Taycan is far more similar to a Model 3 being a medium size saloon with only room for 4 people really. Model S is a large hatchback with room for 5 (or 7)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg07rPGSjyY
    at 4m25s it shows that start price is just over 83k with specs shown in a table.
    It looks visually identical with cloth seats and 19" alloys.
    I'd expect most of these will have €10k or more of extras thrown at them.
    It will be known simply as "Taycan".
    270kw charging. 22minutes to go from 5 to 80% and the reporter here is saying he got all the way to Fulda from Stuttgart before he needed a charge on a Taycan 4S on his way to Hamburg. That is a huge distance to travel on a charge. It may not mean nothing to you but to a German purchaser that is proof of it being a workable solution for them.

he got all the way to Fulda from Stuttgart before he needed a charge on a Taycan 4S on his way to Hamburg. That is a huge distance to travel on a charge.

255km, same as Dublin to Cork. I can do that in my 7 year old EV no problem at 120km/h even in winter. But maybe he was driving a bit faster than that? :D

unkel wrote: »
    255km, same as Dublin to Cork. I can do that in my 7 year old EV no problem at 120km/h even in winter. But maybe he was driving a bit faster than that? :D
    He said he wasn't sparing the horses.

is the 88.5k on the website net of grants etc?

• Advertisement

Whatever about Tesla, the cheapest Panamera is 125k and only has 243kW.

Even the 4S @168k only has 324kW. You have to go to the GTS @ 192k to get around 350kW of the cheapest big battery Taycan.

(I haven't used the 911 as the rear seats are too small to be comparable)

Just watched that video. The base Taycan is a lot cheaper than the others, but it's still very expensive for the core specs. A quick comparison (with German pricing):

BHP NM 0-100km/h Vmax WLTP range cost

Taycan 408 346 5.4s 230km/h 420km(?) €83,520
    Model 3 325 420 5.6s 225km/h 448km €39,990

Just watched that video. The base Taycan is a lot cheaper than the others, but it's still very expensive for the core specs. A quick comparison (with German pricing):

BHP NM 0-100km/h Vmax WLTP range cost

Taycan 408 346 5.4s 230km/h 420km(?) €83,520
    Model 3 325 420 5.6s 225km/h 448km €39,990

Are we seriously comparing a taycan to a model 3??

Which other electric sports saloon would you compare it to?

It's no more inappropriate than the usual 911 Vs Corvette comparison that comes out every model revision.

The Porsche is obviously a superior car in every way. But the specs of the two cars are very similar in range and performance. Also both sedans suitable for 4 people

If BMW, Audi or Mercedes had a full EV D segment saloon, I would gladly compare it to them too. Or any other EV with similar spec. But there aren't too many.

The Porsche is obviously a superior car in every way.
    That is absolutely not true.

The fastest, most expensive Model 3 is much cheaper and much faster than the cheapest Taycan, and also has more range, better efficiency and more exciting driver aids. All Model 3s have more interior space and are more efficiently packaged (shorter and narrower). The Model 3 LR is also faster than the cheaper Taycans, and it tows.

The Tesla also has a more favourable public image. Small children will gasp and point. Adults will let you out of junctions.

In the Taycan's undisputed favour is interior quality, mechanical engineering superiority, kerb appeal, better handling/driving experience, consistent acceleration and zero involvement of Elon Musk.

Which other electric sports saloon would you compare it to?

It's no more inappropriate than the usual 911 Vs Corvette comparison that comes out every model revision.

the taycan? there isnt one id compare it to, but thats not a reason to compare it to the model 3,

its like comparing the e-niro to the e-tron.

The buyer of one isnt considering the other.

the taycan? there isnt one id compare it to, but thats not a reason to compare it to the model 3,

its like comparing the e-niro to the e-tron.

The buyer of one isnt considering the other.

I think that market segmentation by price theory is something pushed by manufacturers. It relies on the idea that people spend the maximum amount that they can afford on a car. That's never been my experience, in either my own purchases or those of other people. There are loads of rich people in the US driving Teslas, even though they can afford other cars.

Here's an example: Brooks Weisblat of DragTimes. Garage full of ICE hypercars. He loves the Taycan but owns and drives a Tesla every day because he values FSD so much.

I also left out the charging network. It's not much of an issue in Ireland, but in other countries the Tesla network is vastly superior, so people will put up with worse interior quality and kerb appeal for that convenience.

I think that market segmentation by price theory is something pushed by manufacturers. It relies on the idea that people spend the maximum amount that they can afford on a car. That's never been my experience, in either my own purchases or those of other people. There are loads of rich people in the US driving Teslas, even though they can afford other cars.

Here's an example: Brooks Weisblat of DragTimes. Garage full of ICE hypercars. He loves the Taycan but owns and drives a Tesla every day because he values FSD so much.

I also left out the charging network. It's not much of an issue in Ireland, but in other countries the Tesla network is vastly superior, so people will put up with worse interior quality and kerb appeal for that convenience.

as i said for 99% of people looking at a taycan, their fall back wont be a model 3 and for 99% of people looking at a model 3 they wont also be considering a taycan, ditto Niro and E-Tron.

That said i know one fella would has a model 3 performance who would break my theory but thats an outlier.

just because they are both saloons that seat 4-5 people with similar range doesnt make them comparable imo.

• Advertisement

The latest Corvette is being cross-shopped against the 911 by potential buyers so it is possible to get new brands in to the same headspace of buyers but the Model 3 is not the car to be cross-shopped against the Taycan.

Advertisement