Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porsche Taycan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

ELM327 wrote: »
    :confused:

There's no begrudgers, to be honest I dont understand your post at all.
    These are all 6 figure cars or close to it.

He got what he wants... don’t be running it down, I bet it will be more reliable and have a better finish than a Tesla .

Personally I would buy a nice ice machine with that money but each to their own

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tigerbalm_eu

Cyrus wrote: »
    Arent there basically the same no of ionity locations as tesla super chargers?

They arent plug and play ...

Taycan does support plug & charge but I haven't seen it work on Ionity in Ireland yet. The card tap ain't too bad though and the 33c/kWH is acceptable for the speed. I wish there were more of them.

newsroom.porsche(.com)/en/2020/products/porsche-taycan-model-year-2021-new-features-plug-charge-functions-on-demand-head-up-display-21882.html

(can't post links yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Taycan does support plug & charge but I haven't seen it work on Ionity in Ireland yet. The card tap ain't too bad though and the 33c/kWH is acceptable for the speed. I wish there were more of them.

newsroom.porsche(.com)/en/2020/products/porsche-taycan-model-year-2021-new-features-plug-charge-functions-on-demand-head-up-display-21882.html

(can't post links yet)

hopefully my next car will be a taycan so i hope you stick around :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Build quality and fit and finish for sure are in the VAG advantage, the rest are pretty subjective.

That’s exactly the point... purchase decisions, particularly cars, are very subjective in nature.... ICE and EV

If it was just a case of looking at a spec sheet then we’d have no need for all the different makes/models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,724 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I think buying a particular car is a very individual decision that often doesn't translate well for other people. In my case, my previous car was a Porsche and my next car will be a Porsche.

Very hard to beat a Porsche :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LillySV wrote: »
    Cause he wanted a nice car not a piece of unreliable Chinese crap

Fair dues to the owner for shelling out and getting what he wanted, fk the begrudgers

The Tesla model we are talking about here is not made in China, comes from the US.
    No begrudgers here, just folk curious to the purchase decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Whilst the comparison between the Model S and Taycan is superficially ridiculous, there are a couple of things quite Porschey about Teslas.

Firstly, they maximize every day usability without sacrificing performance. Porsches were always the most usable supercars. Secondly, they offer (at best) a somewhat elitist EV ownership experience, with rangers coming to your driveway to perform routine servicing and maintenance tasks, and charging stations unoccupied by Leaf-driving proles.

But that's where it ends. Whilst Porsches have been somewhat ruined over the years by pandering to the demands of international markets (notably in the packaging and the introduction of SUV/crossover monstrosities), they are still at heart pure German automotive engineering and design with a fundamentally different philosophy.

Elon said recently "all input is error", by which he meant that all functions which can be automated should be automated. To the sort of people who might still have a Faszination VHS tape sitting in their attic, that is blasphemy.

And for the non-enthusiasts, the badge just isn't po(r)sh(e) enough.

slave1 wrote: »
    The Tesla model we are talking about here is not made in China, comes from the US.
    No begrudgers here, just folk curious to the purchase decision

Yea Tesla owner folk who are happy to question purchase decision for the Porsche but don’t like their purchase decision challenged :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yea Tesla owner folk who are happy to question purchase decision for the Porsche but don’t like their purchase decision challenged :)

In this case you were simply being corrected in your wrong assertion the Model S is built in China.

I'm not sure the US-built thing helps much though. The new Corvette is by all accounts very good but I don't see it stealing many 911 sales.

don’t like their purchase decision challenged :)

Calling their car a piece of Chinese crap is a bit different from challenging someone's purchase decision

We're all about having a robust discussion here (without that sort of trolling) and Porsches are better than Teslas in many different ways (see KCross' post above). But let's not forget: if there hadn't been a Tesla Model S 10 years ago, there would be no Porsche Taycan today...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone watch the crash test for the Porsche.
    Seat safety in the rear is comprised with the rest actually stating that it has a higher chance of children/infant injury or death.

What’s that about?

unkel wrote: »
    But let's not forget: if there hadn't been a Tesla Model S 10 years ago, there would be no Porsche Taycan today...

Something that Porsche & VW acknowledge.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/porsche-rd-boss-why-tesla-not-direct-rival

Calling their car a piece of Chinese crap is a bit different from challenging someone's purchase decision

We're all about having a robust discussion here (without that sort of trolling) and Porsches are better than Teslas in many different ways (see KCross' post above). But let's not forget: if there hadn't been a Tesla Model S 10 years ago, there would be no Porsche Taycan today...

This should be called the “say what you want about any other car, as long as you don’t say anything bad about Tesla” thread. Listen lads I’m glad your so defensive for Tesla and their cars, I’m sure Elon musk is really appreciative haha . Listen fair dues to Elon for trying , and I’m sure I’ll be looking at his offerings in afew years time when electric cars have been perfected abit more

Tesla owner here and not defensive at all, I'd openly say the segment likes of Porsche, Audi, Lexus are streets ahead in terms of build quality inside and out, love to see any EV on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

This reviewer was so impressed he ordered one….The cross turismo.

I would have mine in brown.

Tesla owner here and not defensive at all, I'd openly say the segment likes of Porsche, Audi, Lexus are streets ahead in terms of build quality inside and out, love to see any EV on the road

Agree. The quality of the interior is better on my 2014 F10 520d than my Tesla but I still prefer the EV.

Gumbo wrote: »
    Agree. The quality of the interior is better on my 2014 F10 520d than my Tesla

Only a delusional Tesla fanboi would deny this. The quality of the interior of my Tesla Model S is far behind most of the cars I have owned in the past 10 years (i.e. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar)

Early Model S also have questionable reliability in the form of battery packs, motors, door handles, media computer, but these issues no longer exist in more recent cars

That Taycan Cross Turismo might not be a looker, but it's arguably the only high performance family car (large, 5 seats, 5 doors) that's better than a Model S, I want one too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm probably very much in the minority but I've always had a thing for estate style cars. I'd quite happily take the Taycan Cross over the regular version

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I'm probably very much in the minority but I've always had a thing for estate style cars. I'd quite happily take the Taycan Cross over the regular version

Same here and I reckon that it will outsell the regular taycan overall but maybe not in Ireland.

• Advertisement

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Same here and I reckon that it will outsell the regular taycan overall but maybe not in Ireland.

I agree, I think a lot of the appeal of the Taycan is the charging speed and Ionity network. It's really more of a grand tourer than track car (ahem, E-Tron GT). So I think a lot of people are buying it because they want to be able to drive long distance with ease, as well as wanting a Porsche

The cross turismo is even better for long journeys, so I think it'll be a big seller in Europe where people can pack up the family and drive from Germany to the South of Italy or Spain for a holiday

Wouldn’t depend on Ionity, either throttled cabinets or on Friday I was out at the Athlone hub and lovely eTronGT trying to use them but they were all out of action, I directed driver the eCars high power unit in Athlone so hopefully they got sorted there (albeit at “lower” speed)

Wouldn’t depend on Ionity, either throttled cabinets or on Friday I was out at the Athlone hub and lovely eTronGT trying to use them but they were all out of action, I directed driver the eCars high power unit in Athlone so hopefully they got sorted there (albeit at “lower” speed)

Interesting. I charged there with my Taycan at 18.30 on Friday with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,238 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I wouldn't discount user error

Interesting. I charged there with my Taycan at 18.30 on Friday with no problems.

App or card out of interest?

App or card out of interest?

Porsche Charging Service RFID card.

Charging details:

Screenshot-2021-06-13-at-15-26-00.png

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    That is absolutely not true.

The fastest, most expensive Model 3 is much cheaper and much faster than the cheapest Taycan, and also has more range, better efficiency and more exciting driver aids. All Model 3s have more interior space and are more efficiently packaged (shorter and narrower). The Model 3 LR is also faster than the cheaper Taycans, and it tows.

The Tesla also has a more favourable public image. Small children will gasp and point. Adults will let you out of junctions.

In the Taycan's undisputed favour is interior quality, mechanical engineering superiority, kerb appeal, better handling/driving experience, consistent acceleration and zero involvement of Elon Musk.

Is that a piss take or are you serious? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

I can confirm for the 6 hours I drove one, plenty notice the Porsche too.

Irish drivers generally don’t let you out in any type of flash car, it doesn’t have to be a Porsche.

MarkN wrote: »
    I can confirm for the 6 hours I drove one, plenty notice the Porsche too.

Irish drivers generally don’t let you out in any type of flash car, it doesn’t have to be a Porsche.

Odd , I wouldn't consider the Tesla a fancy car or an enthusiasts car at all, horrible looking things. I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to let one in , I would the Porsche to get a better look though.

Op saying small children will gasp and point at a Tesla lol, dream on. Maybe a Ferrari or Lamborghini with the noise or even the Porsche they would.

The quality of the interior of my Tesla Model S is far behind most of the cars I have owned in the past 10 years (i.e. Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Saab, Jaguar)

If I remember correctly from your contributions to the classics forum, most of your cars you quote above are 25 / 30 years and were old rough enough barges, are you really saying the quality of materials in modern Tesla is poorer than a rough 30 year old Porsche / Mercedes?

The materials used in any sort of Merc 30 years ago would surpass a lot of modern cars, not just a Tesla. Look at some of the stuff Deane put up for reference. The technology has moved on but don’t confuse that for actual materials.

• Advertisement

Odd , I wouldn't consider the Tesla a fancy car or an enthusiasts car at all, horrible looking things. I certainly wouldn't be going out of my way to let one in , I would the Porsche to get a better look though.

Op saying small children will gasp and point at a Tesla lol, dream on. Maybe a Ferrari or Lamborghini with the noise or even the Porsche they would.

Is this not a bit childish? Letting someone in is about keeping traffic moving and flowing and having a small bit of manners :confused:

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    If I remember correctly from your contributions to the classics forum, most of your cars you quote above are 25 / 30 years and were old rough enough barges

Eh no. I've had a couple of classic Mercedes W201 cars (as in over 30 years old, vintage. Not rough barges :rolleyes:) but all the other cars were relatively new (most around the 10 years old or so)

Op saying small children will gasp and point at a Tesla lol, dream on.

Yep. Absolutely everywhere you go. Still surprises me if I'm honest. Any other Tesla Model S owner will confirm this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Yep. Absolutely everywhere you go. Still surprises me if I'm honest. Any other Tesla Model S owner will confirm this.

It's true!! I've a model 3 and I'm baffled by kids looking at it, pointing at it even coming over to tell me it's a Tesla!!
    It must be something with the social media craic or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I actually had a young lad with crutches almost fall, as he turned around pointing at the Tesla passing by. He lifted one crutch & you could hear him shouting "dad, dad, look..........a Tesla".

It wasn't here either so it's a universal thing with young kids.

A €100k Merq or BMW could cruise by, unnoticed.

Mrs. K actually had kids follow her on bikes a few times, while she was in the Ioniq, shouting "it's a Tesla", when they realised it was electric.

Kramer wrote: »

Nonsense, there would no doubt be a bunch of people giving one the middle finger :D

There does seem to be a lot more interest in Tesla's from the younger generation. I agree it's probably down to social media and Tesla's somewhat outspoken CEO

In other news, can we go back to talking about Porsche's, and how likely you are to be shown the middle finger while driving a Taycan

As long as it's from those boy racers in the Fiesta with an exhaust kit who you left in your dust then it's okay :D

I actually had a young lad with crutches almost fall, as he turned around pointing at the Tesla passing by. He lifted one crutch & you could hear him shouting "dad, dad, look..........a Tesla".

Mrs. K actually had kids follow her on bikes a few times, while she was in the Ioniq, shouting "it's a Tesla", when they realised it was electric.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D bul****....tesla ...ugly unreliable cars..........who da fuk would be turning around nearly falling to look at one....the model 3 ...ugly as sin....absolutely disgusting....model s..... kind of like a mondeo or something of that calibre....you would not think it is anythign special to look at. model x....a bigger version of the s.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

I’ve had the same experience, groups of kids (teenagers mostly) coming to look at the car at junctions and shouting Tesla at me like some kind of chant, I have Sentry footage of families (parents included) having a walk around in car parks, it has attracted large groups of kids when I do school pick-up and it cost me half an hour in Aldi recently as several people (not kids) came over to look at the front trunk and FWDs.

It’s definitely not a reason to buy one (not for me anyway) but there’s no denying that they resonate more with younger people than traditional ICE cars, even expensive brands like Porsche. Tastes are individual but if you think they’re nothing to look at, remember that people used to love LPs years ago and couldn’t understand why anyone would want to listen to tape :p

Great video, I think I might have seen you speeding up the M1

It's an incredible looking car, real head turner :)

• Advertisement

Bizarre, no hate on Tesla I like ev's but Tesla's aren't fast (well the average one in Ireland you see arent) and don't look nice as cars, to me they wouldn't have any prestige at all and make no noise so I don't see what kids would be attracted by them.

They are 10 a penny, I pass at least 20 a day where I'm living and wouldn't even look twice, if the Porsche passed I would look.

I understand the attraction if people do stop you and point though, it's a nice feeling. I get it when I'm on my bike, grown men asking me about it, it's funny.

I'd prefer a one of those new Honda mini ev's that look old school over any Tesla. Pity they are so overpriced for what they are though

MarkN wrote: »

Lovely car, fancy a race? :)

Bizarre, no hate on Tesla I like ev's but Tesla's aren't fast (well the average one in Ireland you see arent) and don't look nice as cars, to me they wouldn't have any prestige at all and make no noise so I don't see what kids would be attracted by them.

They are 10 a penny, I pass at least 20 a day where I'm living and wouldn't even look twice, if the Porsche passed I would look.

I understand the attraction if people do stop you and point though, it's a nice feeling. I get it when I'm on my bike, grown men asking me about it, it's funny.

I'd prefer a one of those new Honda mini ev's that look old school over any Tesla. Pity they are so overpriced for what they are though

Again, personal choice.
    I spent enough time on crotch rockets to appreciate them but don’t own any nowadays. I was actually driving motorcross bikes before I could drive a car!

Couldn’t commute on one anymore. Other drivers!

Tesla's aren't fast

You've obviously never driven one :p

The slowest, cheapest Tesla does 0-60 in a bit over 5s.

The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s). This is faster than any hyper car ever made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, anyone. Faster than a Formula 1 car. If you do a launch, your head will smash against the headrest if you don't brace yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone that begins a sentence with "teslas aren't fast" has clearly displayed the meaning behind "better to let the world think you're a fool, rather than open your mouth and confirm it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s).

Obviously a very fast car but it will not do 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds. They measure it already moving for some reason. So maybe 5 to 60 in under 2 seconds.

Mr Q wrote: »
    Obviously a very fast car but it will not do 0 to 60 in under 2 seconds. They measure it already moving for some reason. So maybe 5 to 60 in under 2 seconds.

Your talking about the 1 foot roll out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

I understand the attraction if people do stop you and point though, it's a nice feeling.

I actually don't like some of the attention driving the Tesla attracts. Sure, it's funny when kids look & point, often brings a smile to my face. It's often nice to blend in too - that's usually not possible in the Tesla.
    I get it when I'm on my bike, grown men asking me about it, it's funny.

Have had that too, often from older gents who yearned for the days of old when they had bikes, or always wished they had a bike :pac:.
    The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s). This is faster than any hyper car ever made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti

I'd have any of those in preference to a Tesla, if it wasn't for their cost, impracticality & of course, environmental concerns :pac:.
    It doesn't matter how quickly an electric launches, they'll never have that visceral & engaging feeling an ICE can evoke, like a mechanical watch over a quartz, or digital music media over vinyl etc.

Times have changed though. 90% of kids turn to look at a silent EV, while a burbling v8 can roll by most, unnoticed.

Anyone that begins a sentence with "teslas aren't fast" has clearly displayed the meaning behind "better to let the world think you're a fool, rather than open your mouth and confirm it"

I drive a BMW S1000RR, 200bhp and it weighs about 180kg, a regular Tesla isn't remotely fast, so it's actually you that are the fool lol.

The bike would make an absolute joke out of one. The fast one would be a good test 0-60 and that's about it, it would be game over after.

https://youtu.be/GA-7KpW8eKw. Go to 3:40 and that's the fast Tesla, I've never even seen one on the roads here. Does one actually exist in Ireland?
    You've obviously never driven one :p

The slowest, cheapest Tesla does 0-60 in a bit over 5s.

The fastest one in a bit over 2s (the new one will actually go under 2s). This is faster than any hyper car ever made by Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, anyone. Faster than a Formula 1 car. If you do a launch, your head will smash against the headrest if you don't brace yourself.
    I don't need to drive one, it will be slow compared to what I'm driving.

Also what happens after 60, it's slows like a cart.

Saw one of the Porsche today, absolutely stunning car.

• Advertisement

What a load of tripe, 2 seconds lol .I don't need to drive one, it will be slow compared to what I'm used to. There's not a chance it does 0-60 in 2 seconds either, stop talking crap.

Wrong. The current Model S Performance is a lot quicker 0-60 than your race bike. Things have changed in the last decade. Petrol bikes are now fairly slow compared to electric cars.

Linky to independent site showing 2017 Tesla Model S 0-60 in 2.3s

Advertisement