Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid-19; Impact on the aviation industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭PommieBast

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    It's not a false negative, it's because the virus may not have been detectable at the time of the test.
    If I get a test today (Thursday) ahead of a flight on Sunday, I may pick up the virus tomorrow and not show symptoms (if I do at all) until Wednesday or Thursday next week. So I will correctly have had a clear test, but then have the virus at a later point after arriving to my destination. I will have been missed by the process.
    Where the 40% coming from? Show me the equation, as this percentage looks inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

PommieBast wrote: »
    Where the 40% coming from? Show me the equation, as this percentage looks inflated.

It's from the CMO and statistical modelling group, based on what they see in the information around positive cases and understanding the limitations of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

The government just signed an SI letting pre hospital medics administer the vaccine with 5000 of them registered hopefully the rollout be a lot a quicker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I’d argue that the virus spreading unchecked actually lessens the likelihood of mutation! There is some opinion that the measures taken in the last year have played a part in expediting the mutation of the virus.

I haven't come across that in any scientific literature, happy to be proven wrong, but it sounds rather bogus.

Viruses mutate all the time, it is basically what they do. Letting it rip wouldn't change that. Look at the flu, we don't really try and stop it's spread and it mutates all the time.

Or look at the Spainish Flu, nothing was done to try and stop it's spread and it mutated into a much more deadly strain during it's second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Spanish Prime minister announced today he wants no tourists into the Country until at least the end of Summer due to the Covid. Big blow to holiday companies and Airlines

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Spanish Prime minister announced today he wants no tourists into the Country until at least the end of Summer due to the Covid. Big blow to holiday companies and Airlines

It wasn’t today, it was from a press conference on Tuesday and I believe the media have misrepresented what he was suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

faceman wrote: »
    It wasn’t today, it was from a press conference on Tuesday and I believe the media have misrepresented what he was suggesting.

Are you sure? He said Spain won't welcome tourists until 70% of the population is vaccinated. That could be September sometime.

Now that doesn't mean everyone will be banned but will probably mean mandatory testing at the very least which will make travel unviable for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

bk wrote: »
    I haven't come across that in any scientific literature, happy to be proven wrong, but it sounds rather bogus.

Viruses mutate all the time, it is basically what they do. Letting it rip wouldn't change that. Look at the flu, we don't really try and stop it's spread and it mutates all the time.

Or look at the Spainish Flu, nothing was done to try and stop it's spread and it mutated into a much more deadly strain during it's second wave.

Viruses do indeed mutate all the time, they have the opportunity to mutate in each host they enter. Reducing the number of hosts reduces the opportunity for mutation.

The other problem is that if a vaccine is narrowly targeted then a resistant strain can quickly become to dominate the community

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Are you sure? He said Spain won't welcome tourists until 70% of the population is vaccinated. That could be September sometime.

Now that doesn't mean everyone will be banned but will probably mean mandatory testing at the very least which will make travel unviable for most.

Yes I’m sure. I’m in Spain. Spain iwon’t close its borders in a widespread manner to other EU nations. Testing has been required since the rollout of the traffic light system.

In my local city, the hospitality staged a protest at the current restrictions (hospitality had to close yesterday). The protest was civil, covid compliant and supported by the mayor and other local government officials.

The hospitality industry is on the verge of collapse

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

BZ wrote: »

Its not only flight crew but CC check in staff ground crews the likes of Servisair and that other ground handling company name escapes me, No doubt people are going through a tough time at present but the current situation people find themselves in will eventually pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

faceman wrote: »

This is correct, the Spanish tourism minister subsequently clarified that they wanted to start opening up by Spring to have as good a tousim sector during the summer as possble.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/covid-travel-spain-holiday-vaccine-b1791382.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Its not only flight crew but CC check in staff ground crews the likes of Servisair and that other ground handling company name escapes me, No doubt people are going through a tough time at present but the current situation people find themselves in will eventually pass.

Not disagreeing with some of their sentiments at all....However, I have never ever heard of the two organisations that these two so called experts are from. It would have more weight if Newstalk was to get someone from EASA on and back it up with some scientific research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

basill wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with some of their sentiments at all....However, I have never ever heard of the two organisations that these two so called experts are from. It would have more weight if Newstalk was to get someone from EASA on and back it up with some scientific research.

"Working " in the airline industry is a pile of ****e at the moment. Between that the tax bills and dealing with social "welfare" its incredible how resiliant some people are.
    Anybody still hanging in there and doing their best in the circumstances deserves a hell of a lot more respect than they have been afforded.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭gral6

It looks like irish gov are going to nail the last nail into coffin of irish aviation tomorrow with their new regulations. Fair play to them, good job in burying this vital industry!

gral6 wrote: »
    It looks like irish gov are going to nail the last nail into coffin of irish aviation tomorrow with their new regulations. Fair play to them, good job in burying this vital industry!

Rubbish. What’s the alternative? Other Countries are or already have done the same.

Rubbish. What’s the alternative? Other Countries are or already have done the same.

Rubbish is this stupid approach which killed a whole aviation industry.
    I could not wait to see requirement of having PCR if you are travelling from the North.

If the government wants me to have a PCT plus 14-days quarantine AND expect me to pay for all of it myself, I'll be flying to Belfast rather than Dublin.

If the government wants me to have a PCT plus 14-days quarantine AND expect me to pay for all of it myself, I'll be flying to Belfast rather than Dublin.

I assume you are traveling as an essential worker? In which case you should be exempt from these new restrictions.

The UK look set to introduce similar measures. Of course there is always the Britain-Belfast-Republic route. Sadly selfish people will use this loophole and it’s a big chink in our covid defence armour. It’ll most likely prolong the pandemic on this island and delay when those of us who work in the industry, including myself can get back to work.

The UK look set to introduce similar measures. Of course there is always the Britain-Belfast-Republic route. Sadly selfish people will use this loophole and it’s a big chink in our covid defence armour. It’ll most likely prolong the pandemic on this island and delay when those of us who work in the industry, including myself can get back to work.

With regulations like that in place, it is hard to expect that people who work in the industry will get back to work at all.

• Advertisement

gral6 wrote: »
    With regulations like that in place, it is hard to expect that people who work in the industry will get back to work at all.

Not in the immediate short term but let’s not bury our head in the sand though. This is reality. Shut it down pretty much completely so we can reopen later this year.

I shared your opinion last year but now I feel we have no other choice. Allowing new variants to spread could be much, much worse for the industry going towards 2022.

I assume you are traveling as an essential worker? In which case you should be exempt from these new restrictions.
    I have essential worker status but it would be a stretch to regard it as my reason for travel. My working assumption is that the UK authorities would not recognise the authorisation letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I have essential worker status but it would be a stretch to regard it as my reason for travel. My working assumption is that the UK authorities would not recognise the authorisation letter.

If you're coming from the CTA I dont believe the UK authorities care. Their testing requirements don't apply to travel from Ireland. Obviously though coming home again is the issue.

BigMoose wrote: »
    If you're coming from the CTA I dont believe the UK authorities care. Their testing requirements don't apply to travel from Ireland. Obviously though coming home again is the issue.
    I know. Already out there and coming home is what I'm trying to sort out.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Whats the legality of stopping people traveling to the airport for a holiday? If they have a ticket and the flight is operating from the open airport that's that surely? I'm no anti-establishment type but surely the guards jurisdiction doesn't apply to what you are doing abroad(if its not illegal abroad of course, like sitting on a beach.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

I expect it to be challenged in the courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

TeaPot918 wrote: »
    Whats the legality of stopping people traveling to the airport for a holiday? If they have a ticket and the flight is operating from the open airport that's that surely? I'm no anti-establishment type but surely the guards jurisdiction doesn't apply to what you are doing abroad(if its not illegal abroad of course, like sitting on a beach.)

The news tonight was a bit vague but it seemed to be that the Gardai were applying the 5km rule. It would seem to be that you needed to be traveling for essential travel AND live within 5km of the airport.

Time will tell what comes out of cabinet tomorrow and subsequently is brought into law. It may well be that the Gardai were slightly ahead of the game and there is a get out of jail card free for anyone stopped/fined over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I expect it to be challenged in the courts.

Gemma will love this one, I would give it a few more weeks before there is full blown riots like in the Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

basill wrote: »
    The news tonight was a bit vague but it seemed to be that the Gardai were applying the 5km rule. It would seem to be that you needed to be traveling for essential travel AND live within 5km of the airport.

Time will tell what comes out of cabinet tomorrow and subsequently is brought into law. It may well be that the Gardai were slightly ahead of the game and there is a get out of jail card free for anyone stopped/fined over the past few days.

The whole stopping you travel bit could defo be challenged in the courts. If there is a flight and its flying plus I am leaving the state, cant see how they could legally stop you. Would the state be liable to pay for costs including any hotel bookings....free movement of people etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

alentejo wrote: »
    The whole stopping you travel bit could defo be challenged in the courts. If there is a flight and its flying plus I am leaving the state, cant see how they could legally stop you. Would the state be liable to pay for costs including any hotel bookings....free movement of people etc

Regulations have been in place for a number of months but not enforced until now. See section 5: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/413/made/en/print

Advertisement