Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2021 Irish Property Market chat - *mod warnings post 1*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Whatever you or I think the reason may be one thing is for certain. It's not good for renters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Graham wrote: »
    Whatever you or I think the reason may be one thing is for certain. It's not good for renters.

Unless the demand from renters isn't as large as we're being told. I've not seen many queues of renters reported in the media over the past 3 years.

Unless the demand from renters isn't as large as we're being told.

That's one theory.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭hometruths

Yet the small BTL landlords are leaving in droves and the REITS appear quite happy to stay where they are.

Something else driving out the small BTL investors?

If things go tits up the in small BTL investor will feel the pain personally. The REIT shareholders, rather than the execs, will feel the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Villa05

You're right. The fact that the investors who purchased their investment properties between 2012 and 2014 can now sell then without incurring CGT

If you purchased 2012/14 prices and have 2020 rents, where will you get the returns you are currently getting on the property.

Would cgt exemption offset the massive returns you are achieving now

Could the drop be linked to the Accidental landlord moving into positive equity

• Advertisement

Villa05 wrote: »

I reckon it's a combination of factors.

Imbalance of power between tenants/landlords
    Accidental landlords out of negative equity
    Landlords cashing out to avail of CGT exemptions

All of which is likely to be exacerbated by some of the landlords who haven't received rent for months yet can't even begin an to get their property back.

I don't think the rental market is going to be looking pretty in the second half of this year.

If you purchased 2012/14 prices and have 2020 rents, where will you get the returns you are currently getting on the property.

Would cgt exemption offset the massive returns you are achieving now

I suspect it s a combination of all of the above - cgt, accidental LLs moving into positive equity, but most of all I'd say it is a case of the risks currently outweigh the rewards.

Unless you've large amounts of cash burning a hole in your bank account I think you'd be mad to be a BTL landlord now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I reckon it's a combination of factors.

Imbalance of power between tenants/landlords
    Accidental landlords out of negative equity
    Landlords cashing out to avail of CGT exemptions

All of which is likely to be exacerbated by some of the landlords who haven't received rent for months yet can't even begin an to get their property back.

I don't think the rental market is going to be looking pretty in the second half of this year.

17% of residential rentals are 4/5 in arrears in USA... 10m that face the prospect of homelessness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

schmittel wrote: »
    I suspect it s a combination of all of the above - cgt, accidental LLs moving into positive equity, but most of all I'd say it is a case of the risks currently outweigh the rewards.

Unless you've large amounts of cash burning a hole in your bank account I think you'd be mad to be a BTL landlord now.

When you say risk do you mean current restrictions around evictions due to COVID, tenants not paying rent etc? From what I have read laws and regs seemed to be changing a lot pre COVID with rent pressure zones and changes to legislation every year. This must be difficult to manage on an annual basis.... and a pain in the boll*x

Hubertj wrote: »
    When you say risk do you mean current restrictions around evictions due to COVID, tenants not paying rent etc? From what I have read laws and regs seemed to be changing a lot pre COVID with rent pressure zones and changes to legislation every year. This must be difficult to manage on an annual basis.... and a pain in the boll*x

All risks - strengthening tenant laws, evictions bans whether covid related or not, diminishing capital gains, falling rents or rent freezes, political risks etc etc.

I just think there are more headwinds than tailwinds facing the sector. I don't see too many positives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Thanks for that.

It's just a few posters were stating that the yield accepted by these large funds was much lower than the yield acceptable to the small BTL landlord. Made sense given the amount of money flowing their way.

But, apparently the funds are achieving near enough the same yield as the small BTL landlord which means there's no incentive for either to be leaving the market at the moment unless they believe both rents and property values will collapse in the near future.

Ires Reit's Gross Yield in 2020 was 5.7%.

Link here: https://investorrelations.iresreit.ie/sites/ires-ir/files/reports-presentation/presentations/interim-results-2020.pdf

IRES current yield is 4.1 % , how come more money isnt buying this ?

am i missing something , that seems like an excellent return considering the diversification , never mind not having to worry about rogue tenants or all the BS that goes with managing property

is it a case of REIT,s being relatively new to this country that people dont know enough about them ?

I think the appeal of a physical asset in BTLs is part of the attraction for some. That and leverage. You can't get a mortgage to buy shares in a REIT.

I think the appeal of a physical asset in BTLs is part of the attraction for some. That and leverage. You can't get a mortgage to buy shares in a REIT.

thats true , perhaps the fact that IRES has been so poor at tracking the real property market is another reason ?

its barely moved in three years where as property is way up

Mad_maxx wrote: »

steady and reliable dividends rather than capital appreciation. You're buying cashflow.

thats true , perhaps the fact that IRES has been so poor at tracking the real property market is another reason ?

The other thing is that the shares are not that liquid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭combat14

am i missing something , that seems like an excellent return considering the diversification , never mind not having to worry about rogue tenants or all the BS that goes with managing property

is it a case of REIT,s being relatively new to this country that people dont know enough about them ?

perhaps the reits have to by law pay out a significant portion of profits to shareholders each year and then investors have to pay very high tax on that ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭Villa05

Mad_maxx wrote:

Is that a good return though, these reits started when property prices were much lower. Alot of their portfolios were purchased at knockdown/ fires ale prices.

Is the growth/high returns phase over?

Is that a good return though, these reits started when property prices were much lower. Alot of their portfolios were purchased at knockdown/ fires ale prices.

surely unlikely to see the same level of growth in the near term.

be interesting to know what their long term plans are.

if stories of reits buying properties and keeping them vacant to prop up rents in tenanted units are true it sounds like they might have one eye on the exit doors.

steady and reliable dividends rather than capital appreciation. You're buying cashflow.

the dividend is of course excellent but could it be argued that a REIT is not really a proper way to track the overall market , thats fine but they are sort of marketed as being a way for anyone to invest in BTL ?

The other thing is that the shares are not that liquid

Horribly so

• Advertisement

Have a look at slide 10

https://investorrelations.iresreit.ie/sites/ires-ir/files/2021-01/davy-conference-presentation.pdf

yet the share price has barely moved and last March was at an all time low

Horribly so

was just looking at the order book for today 9 orders open. 2 Bid's of 1.32 and 7 ask price ranging from 1.45-1.80 :eek::eek:

The buyers and sellers are no where near each other.

was just looking at the order book for today 9 orders open. 2 Bid's of 1.32 and 7 ask price ranging from 1.45-1.80 :eek::eek:

The buyers and sellers are no where near each other.

which REIT is that ?

Ires ranged between 1.39 and 1.43 today

which REIT is that ?

Ires ranged between 1.39 and 1.43 today

https://live.euronext.com/en/product/equities/IE00BJ34P519-XMSM

im confused reading that , i always just went by the range and that still reads 1.39 - 1.43 unless yahoo finance is incorrect ?

the stock has never reach 1.80 so its meaningless is someone was asking that amount ?

the dividend is of course excellent but could it be argued that a REIT is not really a proper way to track the overall market , thats fine but they are sort of marketed as being a way for anyone to invest in BTL ?

Can't say I've ever thought of REITs as anything other than buying future cashflow. Only really suitable if you've got cash and you're looking for a steady longterm return.

im confused reading that , i always just went by the range and that still reads 1.39 - 1.43 unless yahoo finance is incorrect ?

what they are showing are the open orders that have not been filled at the end of the day.

There was only 3 main trades during the day and all need a broker from the looks of it.
    115k shares @ 12:20 1.42 and 10k x 2 09:23 1.429

what they are showing are the open orders that have not been filled at the end of the day.

There was only 3 main trades during the day and all need a broker from the looks of it.
    115k shares @ 12:20 1.42 and 10k x 2 09:23 1.429

Thought all trades always need a broker?

• Advertisement

Can't say I've ever thought of REITs as anything other than buying future cashflow. Only really suitable if you've got cash and you're looking for a steady longterm return.

Cash can also buy actual BTL property

Which is better, REITs or a BTL purchased with cash ?

I'm not sure ,suppose they both have there advantages and disadvantages

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement