Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Almost no mainstream pubs look after their own lines. The breweries do it.

Question I'd ask is why don't the pubs do it any more? Also why does the quality vary so wildly, I can only assume it's keg storage or dirty glasses?

I did write a very detailed email to Guinness asking these and loads of other questions, never got a reply

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Blut2 wrote: »
    Great news. I wonder if it might actually lead to some price competition in the area. It'll surely hit traffic in nearby pubs like the Bleeding Horse pretty hard.

Would doubt any of the other pubs will reduce their prices but yeah Spoons will take business from them especially outside of Friday & Saturday nights when all venues are pretty packed anyway. Theyll do well on food as a good few pubs on Camden St have little to no food offering. Id say the hotel will do really well too, if people are coming to Dublin for a night out pubbing and clubbing Camden Street is right in the heart of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,452 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Am sure Camden street will be popular with office workers in the area for breakfasts and lunch too.
    If I was still working in the area would be on my radar for sure.
    And re: Diceys, worst pints I've ever had were in there during their €2 wednesday evenings... had to switch to bottles.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Chelon wrote: »
    Question I'd ask is why don't the pubs do it any more? Also why does the quality vary so wildly, I can only assume it's keg storage or dirty glasses?

I did write a very detailed email to Guinness asking these and loads of other questions, never got a reply

This argument has been had over and over here.
    I would argue that the quality doesn't vary wildly, at all. That this huge variance is a popular myth.

This argument has been had over and over here.
    I would argue that the quality doesn't vary wildly, at all. That this huge variance is a popular myth.

I've heard tourists say "it's impossible to get a bad pint of Guinness in Ireland". I put that down to psychological rather than physical effects...

As an example where I live there are 6 pubs. In 3 of them the pint is always 7-10

In the other 3 I persevered but the pint was usually 4-6 at best and all the mates agreed with me. I don't drink there any more so no idea if they've improved. I think you'd find a huge number of people agreeing that quality can be pub-specific

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've heard tourists say "it's impossible to get a bad pint of Guinness in Ireland". I put that down to psychological rather than physical effects...

As an example where I live there are 6 pubs. In 3 of them the pint is always 7-10

In the other 3 I persevered but the pint was usually 4-6 at best and all the mates agreed with me. I don't drink there any more so no idea if they've improved. I think you'd find a huge number of people agreeing that quality can be pub-specific

It's more a reflection of how bad the pints they're used to are. Don't order Guinness in New York.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

McGaggs wrote: »
    Don't order Guinness in New York.
    Decent pint of Wrasslers at the Fraunces Tavern, though. Just like at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

McGaggs wrote: »
    It's more a reflection of how bad the pints they're used to are. Don't order Guinness in New York.

I found one or two places with a decent pint of guinness, comparable to irish pubs. Twice the price though. Agree with beernut on fraunces tavern, pint of porterhouse plain is so good you'd think you're on Nassau st.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 TheMadBrewer

Twenty five years ago, when we started our homebrew club on the westside of Los Angeles, we had an expat Irishman as a member. When we waxed lyrical about making a pilgrimage to St. James gate he would say "don't bother, the Guiness at the Irish Times (LA Irish pub) is better than 75% of the pubs in Dublin." He wasn't wrong. Though in fairness, the median pint in Dublin is far better than the median pint in the US because it is not well treated here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I’d be all for never going near a Wetherspoons but I’d be wary of falling into the illusion that all Irish owned pubs and businesses are great to staff.

Who made that statement?

• Advertisement

That’s the implication people make.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That’s the implication people make.

You made..

Did Spoons open again this week? Think they were supposed to July 20th

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did Spoons open again this week? Think they were supposed to July 20th

Walked by the Abbey street pub today and was surprised to see that it was still closed. If ever there was a chain set up for the current system I'd think it was a wetherspoons.

yeah I was surprised they didnt open with all the other food serving pubs a few weeks ago. I think they said they would reopen along with all the wet pubs but then that got pushed out to August 10th so I thought they would just open last Monday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

SteM wrote: »
    Walked by the Abbey street pub today and was surprised to see that it was still closed. If ever there was a chain set up for the current system I'd think it was a wetherspoons.

The opposite. Wetherspoons model is based on being busy 12-15 hours a day. This spreads rent and rates across a mush longer trading period than their competitors.

With most city centre offices operating on shoestring staff, the numbers are not there for good day food trading & after work drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

silver2020 wrote: »
    The opposite. Wetherspoons model is based on being busy 12-15 hours a day. This spreads rent and rates across a mush longer trading period than their competitors.

With most city centre offices operating on shoestring staff, the numbers are not there for good day food trading & after work drinks.

How would that apply to the suburban Wetherspoons though? They wouldn't get anywhere near that much office traffic.

Rent and rates would also be fixed costs, due regardless of if they open or not. By staying closed they're only saving on operating costs - staffing, electricity etc. But having no income at all coming in as a result.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well they own some of the premises and right now there's a rates waiver. Timmy has some odd ways of operating a business though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Blut2 wrote: »
    How would that apply to the suburban Wetherspoons though? They wouldn't get anywhere near that much office traffic.

Rent and rates would also be fixed costs, due regardless of if they open or not. By staying closed they're only saving on operating costs - staffing, electricity etc. But having no income at all coming in as a result.

Different locations will have different models, but food is their big earner. It cheap basic quality food, prepackaged and except for the basics, mostly just heated up on the premises. I'd guess the City centre just doesn't have the traffic yet for it to make sense. If its open, it will always need a certain number of staff no matter how quiet it is.

Still surprising they havent opened yet though. They've known about the 105 minute limit for several weeks now so that means only food and drink together. That should suit them to a large extent from opening till about 9pm when food sales drop off. Would mean lads cant be there just drinking for several hours but they could still be turning over. Likes of Blanch and DL they could just leave the upstairs closed if they wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

After seeing how Tony Martin treats the Customers and staff during the pandemic, despite the fact that it represents just about the only place in the Republic to get a variety of real le on the handpump, I will never set foot inside one of his establishments again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

thegeezer wrote: »
    After seeing how Tony Martin treats the Customers and staff during the pandemic, despite the fact that it represents just about the only place in the Republic to get a variety of real le on the handpump, I will never set foot inside one of his establishments again.

How did he treat them?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

I understand that Tony Martin isn't a nice chap but there's plenty of other dodgey business men out there that we all happily accept.

Each to thier own and I respect your thoughts and decision to spend your money where you see fit but it's good value and good choice of beer so won't put me off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Tony Martin is innocent of all charges you make against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

conor678 wrote: »
    I understand that Tony Martin isn't a nice chap but there's plenty of other dodgey business men out there that we all happily accept.

Each to thier own and I respect your thoughts and decision to spend your money where you see fit but it's good value and good choice of beer so won't put me off

Businessmen like Tony Martin and Micheal O'Leary didn't get rich by being nice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TIM Martin. Tony Martin is someone else infamous.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

L1011 wrote: »
    TIM Martin. Tony Martin is someone else infamous.

My point is I doubt you will find any mega successful businessman that hasn't been ruthless.

They didn't get rich by giving their money away.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭flended12

Big Gerry wrote: »
    My point is I doubt you will find any mega successful businessman that hasn't been ruthless.

They didn't get rich by giving their money away.

Agreed, anyone who is at the top of their game be it business, sport, medical etc are ruthless in their progression.

Peoples interpretation/version of ruthless is what can lead to controversy.

• Advertisement

Seen they were putting up the signage at Keavens Port last week

Advertisement