Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

It’s a sin C4

• 23-01-2021 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭

Really good drama about AIDS in London in the 80s. Neil Patrick Harris in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Entire series is now on All4 for anyone wanting to watch the lot in one go, recent convert to All4, great compared to RTE Player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Entire series is now on All4 for anyone wanting to watch the lot in one go.

Can we get All 4 in Ireland ? Really impressed with the first part, would love to binge the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Can we get All 4 in Ireland ? Really impressed with the first part, would love to binge the rest.

Yes it’s a great app, I use it a lot. It’s free but with ads. You can pay for no ads but I haven’t yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Lisha wrote: »
    Yes it’s a great app, I use it a lot. It’s free but with ads. You can pay for no ads but I haven’t yet.

Yes I find it a great job, they show 24 Hours In Police Custody full series/show after initial episode goes out too. There are ads but nothing like RTE Player, if you want to watch part 3 of a show you watch one set of ads, not 3 like RTE. The ads are regionalised for Irish viewers, great service for free, they have an app or you can watch from your web browser, need to create a free account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Be right back

Binged watched it today. Very good series. All 4 app is good too.

• Advertisement

Thank you! Watched all five today - brilliantly done!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Got through about half an episode on C4 last night and had to turn it off, was way too gay for me. I know, I'm a dinosaur.
    "Too gay"? Jaysus!

Watched the first one and enjoyed it. Nothing too groundbreaking but interesting array of characters and a banging 80's soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Watched the 1st ep and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Have yet to decide if we will binge it or do it weekly but I am looking forward to finishing it.

Great visuals, really grabs the aesthetic of 80's London IMO, fantastic soundtrack and some interesting foreshadowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is that the lead singer from Years and Years in it?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes, Olly Alexander. Very good he is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

Basq wrote: »
    Yes, Olly Alexander. Very good he is too.

It’s written by the same guy who wrote Queer as Folk and Years and Years.

cozar wrote: »
    It’s written by the same guy who wrote Queer as Folk and Years and Years.

And ran Doctor Who for a wee while - hence one of Richie’s acting roles in it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Just finished binge watching It's a Sin, thought it was brilliant, final episode was emotional.

Just finished binge watching It's a Sin, thought it was brilliant, final episode was emotional.

Thought Keeley Hawes was brilliant. Fab acting from everyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Well now I'm embarrassed. I'd read that this starred Olly Alexander from Years and Years and assumed he was in Russell T Davies last series, Years and Years. I've been racking my brain for 3 episodes trying to work out which character he was in it.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have only watched episode 1.

I absolutely loved it, beautifully done, it looks terrific (nice to see the vauxhall tavern on the tv!) and the acting is excellent.

I grew up in a slightly later time but I can relate to that sense of excitement/terror of being gay and all that involves.

It's really brilliant to see something like this done from a British perspective, a few american programmes have tackled it like a normal heart or angels in america but this was totally different.

I am going to have to ration it.

Russell T Davies is a bit of a genius imo.
    I have enjoyed pretty much everything he has done.
    He was on the pilot tv podcast promoting this recently and he was so engaging and funny.

If anyone hasn't seen it there is an absolutely outstanding doc called how to survive a plague which focuses on the early years mostly of the aids epidemic in the US, it had me in floods of tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Callum Scott Howells as Colin, Lydia West and Keeley Hawes were brilliant.

This topic and time period has been done ad finitum by the likes of Angels in America, The Normal Heart and Pride! so it's not easy to produce something original at this point, but it was really well done.

Really impressed by Lydia West....I had only seen her in BBC's Dracula in that 3rd episode that went off the rails.

This topic and time period has been done ad finitum by the likes of Angels in America, The Normal Heart and Pride! so it's not easy to produce something original at this point, but it was really well done.

Really impressed by Lydia West....I had only seen her in BBC's Dracula in that 3rd episode that went off the rails.

Thought Colin is the best and most likeable of the male characters.

3 episodes in and it's a helluva watch - but a funny, uplifting, sad, devastating, emotional watch.

Fully formed characters which is refreshing after seeing a lot of representation of gay characters on television be quite two-dimensional and stereotypical.. but then again, RTD would never allow this.

The cast are sublime - from Olly Alexander (Richie) to Lydia Ward (Jill) to Callum Scott Howells (Colin) in his first TV role.

Less than a month into 2021 and I can't see another drama topping it this year!

gmisk wrote: »
    I have only watched episode 1.

I absolutely loved it, beautifully done, it looks terrific (nice to see the vauxhall tavern on the tv!) and the acting is excellent.

I grew up in a slightly later time but I can relate to that sense of excitement/terror of being gay and all that involves.

It's really brilliant to see something like this done from a British perspective, a few american programmes have tackled it like a normal heart or angels in america but this was totally different.

I am going to have to ration it.

Russell T Davies is a bit of a genius imo.
    I have enjoyed pretty much everything he has done.
    He was on the pilot tv podcast promoting this recently and he was so engaging and funny.

If anyone hasn't seen it there is an absolutely outstanding doc called how to survive a plague which focuses on the early years mostly of the aids epidemic in the US, it had me in floods of tears.

I’d recommend The Normal Heart and Angels in America too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Thought Colin is the best and most likeable of the male characters.

What I liked about Colin above all else is how they subverted expectations in the right way;
    from his shy smile and Ritchie's barbs at him over being a virgin which turned out just be an incorrect assumption, just because he was quiet and had a different way of operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

Fantastic series. Like others, I binged over 2 nights.
    As a child of the 80s, I was aware of AIDS but didn’t appreciate how it must have torn through friendship groups. It was harrowing to see the discrimination faced by the gay community too. Colin broke my heart & the final scene with Gill & Richie’s mum made me gasp out loud.
    The show felt all the more poignant now we’re living through another uncertain virus. Superb acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh I loved Pride! as well!
    My mum loved also it tbh and she is fussy lol

Lydia west is great really charismatic, it just shows you what a good script will do...that third dracula episode I thought she and the whole episode were a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

iguana wrote: »
    Well now I'm embarrassed. I'd read that this starred Olly Alexander from Years and Years and assumed he was in Russell T Davies last series, Years and Years. I've been racking my brain for 3 episodes trying to work out which character he was in it.:o

I didn't know he acted

I didn't know he acted
    Was an actor before Years and Years.

Just finished it... absolutely exhausting!

And I stand by what I said, I can't see another drama topping it this year. Sublime!

PS - anyone else think it strange seeing Big Mandy from This Country in episode 5 as
    Richie's nurse

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

3 Episodes done;
    Colin :( I loved him and his poor mum. What a horrible death for such a lovely young man. The thing that irked me slightly is that Colin jumped into bed repeatedly with his former landlady's son but was supposed to be living with the gang for about 4 years and didn't have sex with anyone else in that time despite being surrounded by so much opportunities. He was good looking so would have had lots of interest from other young men when out partying with his friends.

Overall it's very good so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Absolutely superb show. Was really looking forward to the debut episode of It’s A Sin and it certainly did not disappoint.

But then, I wouldn’t expect anything less from the brilliant Russell T. Davies who wrote the daring and utterly groundbreaking Queer As Folk back in 1999. All the main characters are so well developed in just the first episode alone. Keely Hawes is also excellent as Richie’s mum, as I’d expect from an actress of her calibre. Neil Patrick Harris is also very good.

For viewers perhaps not old enough to recall the AIDS crisis at first hand, Its A Sin provides a really good insight into those times. Post-Stonewall and the first wave of gay liberation in the West, but the party is about to come crashing down with the tragedy of HIV/AIDS and the massive homophobic backlash.

I was only a young child back then but clearly remember the panic, ignorance and hysteria in and around the mid-1980s with AIDS - and a LGBT community that was marginalized and stigmatised horribly. You have to remember that so many of those gay men who died horrible deaths from AIDS had been disowned by their families and often had no-one to care for them (apart from hospital staff) in their final weeks and days. It was the gay community who fought back against the tide of ignorance and homophobia and pioneered the safe sex message at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Binged the lot last night and would happily have watched it all again this morning if work hadn't got in the way.

Fantastic series, wonderful writing, great cast (Keeley Hawes!) Felt like an epic subject dealt with in a personal way. And in an entertaining way, which is damned skillful given the subject matter. Russell T Davies is back to his best and that is so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Like others, I binged it all at the weekend, after meaning to watch 1 episode. It was excellent. AIDS is a topic that I of course was aware of, and knew lots of gay men died horrible deaths in the 1980s, but It's A Sin gave me so much more understanding of what it must have been like back then- isn't that what great drama does.
    When Colin started having seizures, it was horrible, but I thought, oh phew, at least he doesn't have AIDS. Little did I know :(

I thought it really portrayed the horror of it all, yet the pure carefree joy they also all experienced, really well.
    As Ritchie says in the final episode- "no one ever talks about how much fun we had", or words to that effect.

Really heartbreaking, really funny. I've been thinking about it since Saturday so that says something, in an age where we all just mindlessly burn through "content".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭cozar

Shelga wrote: »
    Like others, I binged it all at the weekend, after meaning to watch 1 episode. It was excellent. AIDS is a topic that I of course was aware of, and knew lots of gay men died horrible deaths in the 1980s, but It's A Sin gave me so much more understanding of what it must have been like back then- isn't that what great drama does.
    When Colin started having seizures, it was horrible, but I thought, oh phew, at least he doesn't have AIDS. Little did I know :(

I thought it really portrayed the horror of it all, yet the pure carefree joy they also all experienced, really well.
    As Ritchie says in the final episode- "no one ever talks about how much fun we had", or words to that effect.

Really heartbreaking, really funny. I've been thinking about it since Saturday so that says something, in an age where we all just mindlessly burn through "content".

i've been thinking about it since too, it was so sad.

Advertisement