Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Saying resident evil 4 was inspired by CoD is frankly ridiculous. As already mentioned on release there was only the first CoD and expansion. And this game was only on the pc platform. It was a modest success but the series wouldn't explode until modern warfare. The fact it was on pc means it's very unlikely that japanese developers would have even played it.

Resi 4 is full of japanese design sensibilities. It's that game that influences action games for the ps360 era and those games copied it and were influenced by it and not the other way around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Mikami Resdent Evils > Non-Mikami Resident Evils.

7 was really good but the bar had been set pretty low by then.

RE2 is a personal favourite, but RE4 is one of the most influential(if not the most) games of the last 20 years. Third person action games would look very different without it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not sure Mikami really is that much of an auteur when it comes to those games. I used to love his work religiously but since he has left capcom he hasn't made a game to match the stuff he has worked on with Capcom and I've since learned nearly every game of his that I attributed the greatness of to his involvement was actually due to someone else like Kamiya.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

McFly85 wrote: »
    Mikami Resdent Evils > Non-Mikami Resident Evils.

7 was really good but the bar had been set pretty low by then.

RE2 is a personal favourite, but RE4 is one of the most influential(if not the most) games of the last 20 years. Third person action games would look very different without it!

7 was a very good game in its own right, but the game is so much more than that. RE was in a complete state after RE6, it is my favourite series and I completely lost faith in it. If RE7 had been bad or sold poorly, the landscape of the series would look quite different now.

After that we got RE2R, RE3R and RE8 looks fantastic so far. Shout out to Rev2 for keeping a little bit of hope alive between RE6 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭McFly85

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm not sure Mikami really is that much of an auteur when it comes to those games. I used to love his work religiously but since he has left capcom he hasn't made a game to match the stuff he has worked on with Capcom and I've since learned nearly every game of his that I attributed the greatness of to his involvement was actually due to someone else like Kamiya.

Yeah. I didn’t mean it to sound like the success or RE was down to one man, it’s just that once he left Capcom the series started to lose its way. It’s understandable too, with the reception RE4 got you can understand why it went down the action route, and the pressure to live up to RE4 would have been immense.

I’d also say Mikami at Capcom did have strong management that would let him know when something wasn’t working, and they also weren’t afraid to scrap months of work for long term gain, happened with RE2 and 4. I think he would have probably benefited from that for his post-Capcom works too.

• Advertisement

That's a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

he just grew up, according to him

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/10/17/resident-evil-4-dev-talks-development/

Veteran developer Shinji Mikami thinks that game developers “peak” in their 30s because once they become experienced, they have a more careful approach to development and end up losing their taste.

This just reminds me of how much I would love to see them revisit RE3.5, but it seems like RE8 is covering that a bit at least.

That's a stretch

No, it really isn't. Name a great game that he has been the director of and I can tell you that he only had managerial responsibility over it. Even Resident Evil 1 He is listed as a director, usually a managerial role in japanese credits, while the actual designers and producers would be more in charge of the game design in a japanese developed game. It was also produced by Tokuro Fujiwara, a legendary game designer how would have been in charge game gameplay and game design.

He is kind of like Kenji Inafune, more a manager than actually in charge of the game design.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

To be fair he hasn't made many games since he left Capcom.

He directed Vanquish and The Evil Within.

Vanquish was rather well regarded and while not a best seller has gone on to be a cult classic.

The Evil Within was a good game, felt like a mix tape of his Mikami's greatest hits. Its certainly closer to traditional RE games than RE5 and 6. What's interesting is the reviews where generally solid for it but some reviews criticized it for being stuck in the past. It did receive fair criticism for technical issues as well.

Other than that he was producer on Shadow of the Damned, Ghostwire: Tokyo and The Evil Within 2. I don't know anything much about Shadow of the Damned but The Evil Within 2 reviewed about the same as the original if not slightly better, though fans of the series seem pretty divided if the first or 2nd game is second. Ghostwire: Tokyo isn't out till next year.

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »
    To be fair he hasn't made many games since he left Capcom.

He directed Vanquish and The Evil Within.

Vanquish was rather well regarded and while not a best seller has gone on to be a cult classic.

The Evil Within was a good game, felt like a mix tape of his Mikami's greatest hits. Its certainly closer to traditional RE games than RE5 and 6. What's interesting is the reviews where generally solid for it but some reviews criticized it for being stuck in the past. It did receive fair criticism for technical issues as well.

Other than that he was producer on Shadow of the Damned, Ghostwire: Tokyo and The Evil Within 2. I don't know anything much about Shadow of the Damned but The Evil Within 2 reviewed about the same as the original if not slightly better, though fans of the series seem pretty divided if the first or 2nd game is second. Ghostwire: Tokyo isn't out till next year.

Again he is director on all those games. Meaning he is more managing the team than actually designing the game. Wasn't all that fond of Evil Within but heard the sequel is a bit of an overlooked gem.

I think he is just good at surrounding himself with talent on his teams, which is kind of his job, but in Capcom/Paltinum that was a hell of a lot easier considering the pedigree there.

Shadows of the Damned was pretty ropey but it's been well documented he had very little to do with that game. It was Massimo Guarini's baby.

Wasn't all that fond of Evil Within but heard the sequel is a bit of an overlooked gem.

I have noticed that this narrative has been built around the game lately and I strongly disagree with it. It fixes a number of issues from the first game, but in doing so introduces a few of its own into the mix. If you were to somehow extract all the positive elements from both games and combine them, you would have a survival horror classic. As it is they are both just above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Dudes, question for you, if you don't mind.

ReVII

Is it worth shelling out for the VR headset and that, or just crack on without? What do ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Ol' Donie wrote: »

ReVII

Is it worth shelling out for the VR headset and that, or just crack on without? What do ye reckon?

I'd say crack on without the VR headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭mightyreds

ReVII

There was parts that scared the ****e out of me without the headset, I'd say the headset is unreal to play it with , don't think I'd be able for it though

ReVII

The headset makes it better no doubt, but it is still a fantastic game without it. If it was January 2017 I would advise you to get the headset but it is not worth it at this point IMO, especially with rumours of the next PSVR surfacing yesterday.

ReVII

I played it back in April without VR. I then tried to play it in VR a few months ago and the tension got way too much for me.

I will try to play it again sometime in VR as I ain't giving up easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There will be a new trailer and gameplay footage for Village, as well as "more news related to the Resident Evil franchise" coming next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got an email from resident Evil ambassador program about signing up for a closed beta to celebrate the 25th anniversary of resident Evil. They said the game will be announced on the 25th January so not sure what I'm even signing up for but here's the link.

If you created a capcom account before October 2020, you have to create a new capcom id account and then migrate the old account over, absolute balls but got there in the end.

https://www.residentevil.com/village/us/topics/25th-cbt/

• Advertisement

With the 25th Anniversary of RE 1 coming up, thought it would be a great time to revisit the classic that started it all.

Listening to this soundtrack, I can actually picture playing the levels containing it so vividly.

Resi sale on PS4/5 starting today. I just reinstalled RE 1 Remake (never finished it) and Resi 7 (as it leads straight into Village) last night and I know with the showcase Thursday night, people want to play some of the older ones.

539959.JPG

Zero, did you play Resident Evil 7 before?

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Zero, did you play Resident Evil 7 before?

Yupp but never played the No More Heroes free dlc which might give an extra glimpse of Chris going into 8.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yupp but never played the No More Heroes free dlc which might give an extra glimpse of Chris going into 8.

It’s more about tying up what happens to Lucas, I don’t know if I’d call it essential but its pretty hefty for free DLC

Resident Evil 7 is a great game. I played 7 and 3 remake last year and I preferred 7 over 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Resident Evil 7 is a great game. I played 7 and 3 remake last year and I preferred 7 over 3.

I keep meaning to give 7 a go. 3 remake was awful.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Hour to go for the showcase. Looks like village comes with something called RE: Verse which sounds like the new multiplayer. Should no more later.

https://twitter.com/REcountdown/status/1352270990961733637?s=19

Re:Verse is a new multiplayer game where you basically run around as resi characters in a pvp arena shooting other to ****. Looks absolutely awful.

Village is out in may and now releasing on old consoles as well, demo called Maiden out now.

• Advertisement

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Re:Verse is a new multiplayer game where you basically run around as resi characters in a pvp arena shooting other to ****. Looks absolutely awful.

Village is out in may and now releasing on old consoles as well, demo called Maiden out now.

Yeah, didn't look good at all. Just glad it's an add-on, and hopefully not being worked on extensively at the expense of something else.

Advertisement