Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback Thread for the GAA Forum 2020:

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Enquiring wrote: »
    I was just making a suggestion, feedback for this forum was requested. I didn't think suggestions were being rejected without any discussion? Anyway, I will report posts if necessary, thanks.

You made a suggestion, I gave feedback. Twice. Hardly rejected.

Others are open to give feedback too of course, as is the nature of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    You made a suggestion, I gave feedback. Twice. Hardly rejected.

Others are open to give feedback too of course, as is the nature of the thread.

To be fair, this reads like a full stop on the matter:
    As I said, if a post needs reporting, report it.

But yes, if anyone has any alterations to my idea, I'd love to hear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Dublin issue (one of the biggest issues facing the GAA) is already restricted to one thread. I presume this occurred because of a large number of complaints. These complaints kicked off in this thread from the second post and it has dominated the thread since. I'm sure some people go too far in their criticism of Dublin's advantages but there are 2 sides to this. You wouldn't realise that reading this thread.

You've posted about it more often than anyone else on this thread. Fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

You've posted about it more often than anyone else on this thread. Fact.

Correct. So he has made his point. There won't be a need say it again.

If you have any other feedback on the GAA Forum in general, post away.

To be fair, this reads like a full stop on the matter:

But yes, if anyone has any alterations to my idea, I'd love to hear them.

That is your interpretation. I gave my feedback. Others are welcome to too.

Let's move on.

That is your interpretation. I gave my feedback. Others are welcome to too.

Let's move on.

Fair enough.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Bumping this for the last few days of the month in case anyone has missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

(1) I think the lack of huge amounts of critical feedback demonstrates that the forum is well-run, thanks to the mods, but also to the self-restraint and behaviour of most posters. Can't say that about every forum on here.

(2) The Dublin discussion is tired, the disparity in funding has ended, it was there, it is gone, the focus should be on other counties and what they can do to improve themselves rather than non-stop griping. Confining it to one thread is a great idea as it tends to stifle and take over every other discussion - it even took up too much time in here.

(3) Match threads are a good idea. Some counties get parochial about their own thread, and that isn't a bad idea, having somewhere to joyously celebrate with others of a similar outlook is a good thing as is somewhere to soothe the broken heart. Such threads should be closed two or three days after a match, otherwise it would end up with endless arguments over minor incidents.

So well done to everyone for an enjoyable place to come and post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Many thanks to all for their constructive feedback.

An Off Topic thread for discussion of all matters not relating to GAA will be put in place.

To reiterate posters are always welcome to set up a match thread for any contest of their choosing.

The main championship thread will remain open as per posters wishes whilst match threads are in place.

The sanctioning system as outlined will come into use on the March 1st 2020 to allow posters to become aware of same.

1 red card = 2 yellow cards

4 yellow cards in a calendar Year = 48hr ban
    5 yellow cards = week long ban
    6 yellow cards = 2 weeks
    7 yellow cards = 3 weeks
    8 yellow cards = 1 month
    9 yellow cards = 2 months
    10 yellow cards = 3 months

A yellow card is automatically applied if a poster quotes/replies to a moderator instruction.

A yellow card is automatically applied if a poster posts post a threadban.

The forum charter will be amended to take account of these changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The most thanked post on the thread was mine saying that sanctions were too lenient. I don't care either way as I'm only an occasional poster on one thread but it seems the whole exercise was redundant if nothing is changing.

The sanctions strike me as very lenient and must be time consuming for mods.

Surely if someone has been yellow carded multiple times they're just a bloody nuisance at that stage and of no benefit to the forum? Any rational being would change their behaviour after, for example, 5 yellow cards.

The most thanked post on the thread was mine saying that sanctions were too lenient. I don't care either way as I'm only an occasional poster on one thread but it seems the whole exercise was redundant if nothing is changing.

Fair enough killbillvol2.

See post #19

"Regarding the sanctions. A red is classified as 2 yellows for the purpose of the Totting up, it will not necessarily mean a ban automatically.
    General Boards.ie rules and sanctions are of course still to be followed.

It only takes one click for Mods to see any GAA sanctions a poster may have and it is easy for us to apply a ban as a result.
    Some may think the Totting up system is a little 'soft' but it is a Long 12 months remember and if introduced, it can be 'tightened' next year or thereafter if the Feedback from posters wish it"

I agree with ShamoBuc's sentiments and would ask for your forbearance for the next 12 months and we can see how things go.

If the sanctioning system are not working out or deemed to be too lenient it can be tightened up.

It is a positive development that there is now a formal system in place for accumulated sanctions.

Same is easy to understand and brings an element of clarity and consistency to the sanctioning process.

Just a query about mods deleting posts. I didn't see it mentioned in this feedback thread. If mods don't like a post, can they just delete it and not explain why?

Good question.

My personal preference in general is to put in place a reason for the post deletion.

Posters are always welcome to PM the relevant moderator if they've a query as the reason for the post deletion.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Good question.

My personal preference in general is to put in place a reason for the post deletion.

Posters are always welcome to PM the relevant moderator if they've a query as the reason for the post deletion.

Yes, they could if they knew who the mod was! When a post is deleted, I don't believe there's any way of finding out who did it?

I don't think it's really a big thing, just maybe put a rule in where a mod has to explain why they're removing a post.

It would solve any claims of bias if they were removing some posts and leaving others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

seligehgit wrote: »
    Good question.

In general, that is a good way of doing things. However, it can become a burden on moderators, particularly if there are repeated incidents of post deletions e.g. if a mod had to explain themselves every single time they deleted off-topic posts about Dublin dominance.

• Advertisement

Yes, they could if they knew who the mod was! When a post is deleted, I don't believe there's any way of finding out who did it?

I don't think it's really a big thing, just maybe put a rule in where a mod has to explain why they're removing a post.

It would solve any claims of bias if they were removing some posts and leaving others.

I will feedback your request.

Just to confirm cards will be reset to zero at the start of the calendar year January 1st 2022.

However any bans will carry over into the new calendar year if applicable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just my tuppence worth re forum. Great moderation, even when I test your patience.

Keep up the great job. Apologies in advance for any indiscretions.

So a big thank you to all mods for the voluntary work in making this a well run forum.

Advertisement