Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feedback Thread for the GAA Forum 2020:

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The sanctions strike me as very lenient and must be time consuming for mods.

Surely if someone has been yellow carded multiple times they're just a bloody nuisance at that stage and of no benefit to the forum? Any rational being would change their behaviour after, for example, 5 yellow cards.

The most thanked post on the thread was mine saying that sanctions were too lenient. I don't care either way as I'm only an occasional poster on one thread but it seems the whole exercise was redundant if nothing is changing.

Fair enough killbillvol2.

See post #19

"Regarding the sanctions. A red is classified as 2 yellows for the purpose of the Totting up, it will not necessarily mean a ban automatically.
    General Boards.ie rules and sanctions are of course still to be followed.

It only takes one click for Mods to see any GAA sanctions a poster may have and it is easy for us to apply a ban as a result.
    Some may think the Totting up system is a little 'soft' but it is a Long 12 months remember and if introduced, it can be 'tightened' next year or thereafter if the Feedback from posters wish it"

I agree with ShamoBuc's sentiments and would ask for your forbearance for the next 12 months and we can see how things go.

If the sanctioning system are not working out or deemed to be too lenient it can be tightened up.

It is a positive development that there is now a formal system in place for accumulated sanctions.

Same is easy to understand and brings an element of clarity and consistency to the sanctioning process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

Just a query about mods deleting posts. I didn't see it mentioned in this feedback thread. If mods don't like a post, can they just delete it and not explain why?

Good question.

My personal preference in general is to put in place a reason for the post deletion.

Posters are always welcome to PM the relevant moderator if they've a query as the reason for the post deletion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

seligehgit wrote: »
    Good question.

My personal preference in general is to put in place a reason for the post deletion.

Posters are always welcome to PM the relevant moderator if they've a query as the reason for the post deletion.

Yes, they could if they knew who the mod was! When a post is deleted, I don't believe there's any way of finding out who did it?

I don't think it's really a big thing, just maybe put a rule in where a mod has to explain why they're removing a post.

It would solve any claims of bias if they were removing some posts and leaving others.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

seligehgit wrote: »
    Good question.

In general, that is a good way of doing things. However, it can become a burden on moderators, particularly if there are repeated incidents of post deletions e.g. if a mod had to explain themselves every single time they deleted off-topic posts about Dublin dominance.

• Advertisement

Enquiring wrote: »
    Yes, they could if they knew who the mod was! When a post is deleted, I don't believe there's any way of finding out who did it?

I don't think it's really a big thing, just maybe put a rule in where a mod has to explain why they're removing a post.

It would solve any claims of bias if they were removing some posts and leaving others.

I will feedback your request.

Just to confirm cards will be reset to zero at the start of the calendar year January 1st 2022.

However any bans will carry over into the new calendar year if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just my tuppence worth re forum. Great moderation, even when I test your patience.

Keep up the great job. Apologies in advance for any indiscretions.

So a big thank you to all mods for the voluntary work in making this a well run forum.

Advertisement