Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Dunedin wrote: »
    €1500 is hardly small money to spend on repairs. In 10 years he’ll have spent €15k and still have no tractor.

He's hardly spending that though every year. If he is he'll have a perfect tractor or he has a dear mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Reggie. wrote: »
    A lad on the county council once said to me....."you get paid the same for marching as for fighting"

Pretty much says it all about council job for life lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Pretty much says it all about council job for life lads.

I was subbed in on a maintenance contract in a factory in Dublin for a year, injection moulding and laser etching stuff. Guy that had me subbed in said I wouldn’t always be busy so sometimes I’d have to look busy. Jesus you’d get the odd full week with nothing happening. I was in the factory floor in a clean room. Longest Feckin week of your life. I couldn’t stick that rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

He's hardly spending that though every year. If he is he'll have a perfect tractor or he has a dear mechanic.

or a bad one

€1500 is hardly small money to spend on repairs. In 10 years he’ll have spent €15k and still have no tractor.

How much is a replacement tractor that's maintenance free? The chap is well into his 70s. Splashing out on a tractor mightn't appeal when he has one that does the job with TLC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

I was in the local hardware today and your typical rooter landed. 01 cruiser with cow box on. Neither the cruiser, box or the driver had a wash in over 10 years. A dog riding shotgun with him. No lights on the box working, engine sounded good as he left it ticking over while he went about his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Augeo wrote: »
    How much is a replacement tractor that's maintenance free? The chap is well into his 70s. Splashing out on a tractor mightn't appeal when he has one that does the job with TLC.

I’m only following the poster earlier that said he’s probably spending €1500 on repairs.

€1500 is hardly TLC.........

Given the below limiting factors id say a lot of typical farms in Ireland have an element of rooting in them:

1. Time
    2. Money
    3. Help from others
    4. Good weather
    5. Reliable animals

Lets say if you are a part time farmer that spends about 45 hrs in work including the commute, surely you by default end up doing a bit of rooting?

The only way you don't is if your parents / spouse / kids are putting in the hours on the ranch when you aren't there?

Lets say if you farm full time and are on your own and not married then the temptation to be a rooter might be higher unless you have a relative that can take on the farm after you retire?

Given the below limiting factors id say a lot of typical farms in Ireland have an element of rooting in them:

1. Time
    2. Money
    3. Help from others
    4. Good weather
    5. Reliable animals

Lets say if you are a part time farmer that spends about 45 hrs in work including the commute, surely you by default end up doing a bit of rooting?

The only way you don't is if your parents / spouse / kids are putting in the hours on the ranch when you aren't there?

Lets say if you farm full time and are on your own and not married then the temptation to be a rooter might be higher unless you have a relative that can take on the farm after you retire?

From what I see people are often confusing lads running a low cost system with lads farming via bad practice or poor practice.

We run two old tractors, balls of shiite I’d imagine many above would say. But our DB for example has been on farm for 30+ years and never been away for a repair, we’ve done clutch etc ourselves but at that age that’s expected. It rarely fails to start and feeds all silage all winter, agitates slurry etc. I just see that as low cost operating on a small holding, is this rooting ??
    Our slurry equipment is old as well, 20+ years, but works year after year for our needs.

Things like having gates hanging, tidying up plastic wraps, decent fencing, no wild cattle, these things are important to us and signs of rooting if your not.

I’m only following the poster earlier that said he’s probably spending €1500 on repairs.

€1500 is hardly TLC.........

.......... did you miss the bit where it's likely there's zero depreciation?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Things like having gates hanging, tidying up plastic wraps, decent fencing, no wild cattle, these things are important to us and signs of rooting if your not.

Id say some of your examples there line up with what I was saying on resources

fencing / tidying up plastic / having gates hanging = time / help

wild cattle = reliable animals

.......... did you miss the bit where it's likely there's zero depreciation?

Tractors don't deprecate much over time compared to cars

Buy a car for 10 k and a tractor for 10 k, after 2 years the tractor is probably wort 9 k and the car is probably worth 5 k

Tractors don't deprecate much over time compared to cars

Buy a car for 10 k and a tractor for 10 k, after 2 years the tractor is probably wort 9 k and the car is probably worth 5 k

I know.
    I'd just not be reckoning a lad in his 70s throwing a guesstimated €1500/annum keeping a tractor going is too far out of the way. Why splash out on an upgrade at that stage in your life if you're quite happy with the thing you have?
    A €10k tractor could give trouble also.

Plenty fancy tractors out there with folk struggling to pay for them.

I know.
    I'd just not be reckoning a lad in his 70s throwing a guesstimated €1500/annum keeping a tractor going is too far out of the way. Why splash out on an upgrade at that stage in your life if you're quite happy with the thing you have?
    A €10k tractor could give trouble also.

Plenty fancy tractors out there with folk struggling to pay for them.

To me a fancy tractor is more tractor than I need

1500 a year sounds like a lot on maintenance but I guess it all adds up, maybe that includes fuel and insurance etc?

To me a fancy tractor is more tractor than I need

I would agree, I would guess the chap doesn't need anything more than the ole yoke he has.

Old kit is not a sign of rooting, quite the opposite in many cases. Nothing better than an old classic running like a clock.
    Broken up machinery on the other hand...

Lads with places full of scrap on public display, then complaining about all the visits from "any oul scrap dere bass" types.

Oul lad with a car battered from ramming the gate open as he was too lazy to get out and open it.

Another pair who killed both cow and calf by pulling the calf with the tractor.

Usually owner of a demented dog permanently chained in a shed for his natural life.

Household rubbish gets fcuked in a big hape in the ditch.

One, or more, cars with trees growing up through them, won't sell or scrap.

Cut down wellies used as shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭minerleague

Cerveza wrote: »
    I was in the local hardware today and your typical rooter landed. 01 cruiser with cow box on. Neither the cruiser, box or the driver had a wash in over 10 years. A dog riding shotgun with him. No lights on the box working, engine sounded good as he left it ticking over while he went about his business.

01 jeep ticking over nicely - well maintained so - hardly a rooter
    stop start driving bad for diesel engines - see above
    brings the dog with him - better than the poor designer breeds locked up in tiny suburban gardens with an x marks the spot to do their business

If its a suckler rooter then cows calving every month

Another rooter trait might be cattle/sheep breaking out and grazing the long acre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

01 jeep ticking over nicely - well maintained so - hardly a rooter
    stop start driving bad for diesel engines - see above
    brings the dog with him - better than the poor designer breeds locked up in tiny suburban gardens with an x marks the spot to do their business

A landcruiser is not a jeep, the most abused landcruiser of that era had engines that just went on and on. A dog who has wrecked the interior yea that’s not a router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I wish I had a 01 land cruiser...

Fcuk it - I don’t even have a dog to wreck the interior...

And with the way prices of both land cruisers and dogs are going, I won’t be getting either anytime soon...

That man ye speak of - he has it all... fair play to him...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The classic Rooter keeps his poultry in scrap cars - my Dads cousins in Tipp spring to mind;)

PS: also operate a number of "cabless" old rusting JCB's for jobs around the farm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Swaps the one good battery between the different machines in the yard.
    Vince grips fixes everything
    A window broke in at least one machine
    Uses baling twine to hold up their trousers
    Slurry and dung is full of netting, twine and pallets and has no idea how it got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

A load of concrete will stretch twice what it would do for anyone else

Birdnuts wrote: »
    The classic Rooter keeps his poultry in scrap cars - my Dads cousins in Tipp spring to mind;)

PS: also operate a number of "cabless" old rusting JCB's for jobs around the farm:D

Must be careful. Find myself looking at old diggers wondering how useful it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

A load of concrete will stretch twice what it would do for anyone else

Or the other extreme - never orders enough and you have to mix a metre to finish the job.

He'd keep a 5 gallon drum of burnt oil for medical emergencies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭minerleague

Cerveza wrote: »
    A landcruiser is not a jeep, the most abused landcruiser of that era had engines that just went on and on. A dog who has wrecked the interior yea that’s not a router.

whist my 3 mutts will be upset if they cant come with me, interior is fine ( liner ) whats he going to do trade it in for a few 100 more? call everything a jeep or a digger ( or hoover ! ) Yopur ould boy is happy out ( prob has the price of a new Jeep and/or tractor in the back pocket anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

He'd keep a 5 gallon drum of burnt oil for medical emergencies

He uses it for the ring worm. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

No spanner or socket set has all its bits. The latches or hindges are broken the box and has to opened or closed in a special way to stop dropping everything.

There are more tools on the ground than in the tool box or bench

Advertisement