Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Just finished Summer of Rockets. A BBC drama with a great cast. Was quite an intriguing story!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ok, grovel hat on. Broken Law was not too bad. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Weren’t there some funny bits? I thought so anyway...

fin12 wrote: »
    Weren’t there some funny bits? I thought so anyway...

Must have missed those. Story was ok. Acting was good, despite the cop brother slipping into a culchie accent a couple of times. And it looked like it was all filmed near me in Dublin 3 so plenty to keep you interested. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I AM A KILLER Season 2
    Death row inmates convicted of capital murder give firsthand accounts of their crimes in this documentary series.

Damsel (Robert Pattinson, Mia Wasikowska,)
    With his horse and a boozy preacher, a wealthy pioneer gallops across the American frontier to marry his fiancée but finds her in unexpected distress

Added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I thought it was pretty poor. It was well shot and John Connors played his role quite well, outside of that though I don't see many positives.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

Some good Comedies i would recommend:

TAG
    Game Night

Dramas/Action:

The Martian
    State of Play
    Imitation game
    Apollo 13
    Everest
    10 Cloverfield Lane

Special mention to some "Prime" films.
    Knives out
    The Upside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Sun Dogs.

This film was so silly but yet funny and sad at the same time. It's about young man that has his heart set on joining the military but after continually getting rejected he finally catches a break.

Sounds like Captain America :p

Liam neeson looks set to retire from his action movie career, think he will still make other movies just not action ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Liam neeson looks set to retire from his action movie career, think he will still make other movies just not action ones.

I think he'll go down the Micheal Caine route of being the cool/ wise advisor to the protagonist, might even get a few of his own Harry Brown-esque films. I think aul' Liam will be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

He'll be back when someone kidnaps his daughter.

WrenBoy wrote: »
    I think he'll go down the Micheal Caine route of being the cool/ wise advisor to the protagonist, might even get a few of his own Harry Brown-esque films. I think aul' Liam will be alright.

Ya I thought his latest one an honest thief was pretty good. I think I might binge watch all 3 takens soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya I thought his latest one an honest thief was pretty good. I think I might binge watch all 3 takens soon.

Honest Thief getting mixed reactions here. Some say decent enough. Some say absolutely garbage. I often meant to throw it on for some easy watching. And then a negative comment just about puts me off. And I start convincing myself that there is much better stuff out there to watch.

DVDM93 wrote: »
    He'll be back when someone kidnaps his daughter.

Granddaughter would probably make for a more realistic story....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Morning Glory starring Rachel McAdams and Harrison Ford. Young new producer joins a morning show with the hope of increasing the viewing ratings and looks for help from an old washed up news anchor.

Well worth a watch imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

djr15 wrote: »
    Some good Comedies i would recommend:

TAG

Watched this yesterday, alot funnier than I thought it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Tag is one of those movies where every time it comes up I have to go check and see if I've already watched it before.

Turns out I have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Granddaughter would probably make for a more realistic story....:rolleyes:

That many sequels it will nearly be second cousins by now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭sniperman

hi folks,im new to netflex,need some help,when i want to watch a film,and preform a search,for emample the meg,you know the one with jason statam.i get results, and a saying titles relating too,but not the one i want,any ideas?thanks

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

That film isn’t currently on Netflix (Ireland), you might have to try another provider or check out a different film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Instant Family

Rose Byrne and Mark Whalberg adopt 3 kids, basically.

Watched this tonight and found it surprisingly great. I say surprisingly because it's got Mark Whalberg in it. But it's genuinely funny and heartfelt and doesn't veer into cheesy or manipulative despite the subject matter. The 3 kids are all great and it's just a nice little watch if you don't want anything too heavy but still want something good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭budgemook

This is a great site to find where you can get the movie you want.

https://www.justwatch.com/ie

Also there is a really good Netflix thread here on boards.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058016501/328/#post115967230

The Meg seems to be on Amazon Prime or can be rented from Google / iTunes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Instant Family

Rose Byrne and Mark Whalberg adopt 3 kids, basically.

Watched this tonight and found it surprisingly great. I say surprisingly because it's got Mark Whalberg in it. But it's genuinely funny and heartfelt and doesn't veer into cheesy or manipulative despite the subject matter. The 3 kids are all great and it's just a nice little watch if you don't want anything too heavy but still want something good.

Thanks for that
    I need something like that this week !
    I actually quite like Mark Wahlberg too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Anyone looking to watch a great tv show, Ozark is well worth it! :-) Keeps you at the edge of your seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

So so late in the game but really enjoyed watching Derry Girls. Great cast, and I thought the pilot was one of the strongest I've seen in a while. The main gal can go overboard with he face acting sometimes but I got used to it and may just really be a character choice lol

Just finished the first season, but watching the second one on the All4 app as that's not yet on Netflix.

camz09 wrote: »
    So so late in the game but really enjoyed watching Derry Girls. Great cast, and I thought the pilot was one of the strongest I've seen in a while. The main gal can go overboard with he face acting sometimes but I got used to it and may just really be a character choice lol

Just finished the first season, but watching the second one on the All4 app as that's not yet on Netflix.

Some of the music is different on the Netflix episodes. The scene in the last episode of S1 where Orla's doing her step routine was Like a Prayer on the original airing but was a Take That song on Netflix. I know why that happens but it's a bit annoying when the song choices are so well done on the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Some of the music is different on the Netflix episodes. The scene in the last episode of S1 where Orla's doing her step routine was Like a Prayer on the original airing but was a Take That song on Netflix. I know why that happens but it's a bit annoying when the song choices are so well done on the series.

Oh that's interesting, just rewatched it there again. Good thing they didn't change 'Dreams' to bookend the season though, thank god, I unashamedly love that song. (Yes even in You've Got Mail, lmao)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's licensing issues, and has been happening for a while. Often the songs in the originals are tied in to make sense, but the replaced songs don't make any sense at all.
    I noticed it a few years ago with a show my sister told me to watch, and there was a God awful song in one of the scenes where a guy repeated the lyrics over and over again (and it made no sense to the scene). About 2-3 months later the same episode was on TV and I noticed something was different, thought it was the music but wasn't sure.

There are a load of articles about it, here's one
    https://www.vox.com/2014/11/3/7145231/shows-not-on-dvd-music-rights-wonder-years-wkrp

and another
    https://howlandechoes.com/2016/10/the-rights-to-netflix-and-chill-with-the-original-soundtracks/

Suckit wrote: »
    It's licensing issues, and has been happening for a while. Often the songs in the originals are tied in to make sense, but the replaced songs don't make any sense at all.
    I noticed it a few years ago with a show my sister told me to watch, and there was a God awful song in one of the scenes where a guy repeated the lyrics over and over again (and it made no sense to the scene). About 2-3 months later the same episode was on TV and I noticed something was different, thought it was the music but wasn't sure.

There are a load of articles about it, here's one
    https://www.vox.com/2014/11/3/7145231/shows-not-on-dvd-music-rights-wonder-years-wkrp

and another
    https://howlandechoes.com/2016/10/the-rights-to-netflix-and-chill-with-the-original-soundtracks/

Yep, I know why it happens, but it's still annoying.

• Advertisement

Really enjoying Call My Agent. It took me a series and a half to realise that the French movie stars they’re representing are real French movie stars!

I also learned that the French movie business is the second biggest in the world after the US. Can you name one French movie you’ve watched? :rolleyes:

Advertisement