Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

whiterebel wrote: »
    Currys should be sending it in to you at the correct price. They are registered for VAT in Ireland. Good luck I trying to explain that to them.

All small items are shipped from the UK via DPD. Clearly a case of Currys not declaring that the VAT is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

theguzman wrote: »
    I'd definitely return it to Currys and make them get their act together. I'd order it from Amazon.co.uk who will handle the necessary requirements.

Amazon won't post a FireStick to Ireland, AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

sibersha wrote: »
    Ordered a Firestick from currys.ie which was due to arrive last week but got held up with DPD issue.

However I have a message today saying that I need to pay import Duty on the item of €17.05. The cost of the item was €59.99 and €5 for delivery initially, but VAT was paid in Ireland. On phone to Currys for over 1.5 hours (on hold mostly) who are none the wiser.

There is an option to return to sender, which I might do and hopefully get a refund. Anyone any suggestions? I am not paying another €17 as the outlay for the item will be €80 which could have been purchased for £30 a few weeks ago.

Welll this has me worried. Ordered a laptop costing 1200e from currys.ie 1st Jan. Was later informed it was stuck with DPD in the uk. If they try getting me to pay VAT on it I will NOT be accepting delivery!! Thanks to the posters in these threads I am now better informed!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sibersha

Below are the fees for the €59.99 item.
    I have gone with "Refuse to Pay & Cancel Delivery"

I have messaged Currys on Twitter and emailed them. If they do not respond by the end of the week I am going to issue a chargeback via my bank.

539319.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Fwarder

Lads, quick question: I bought something that is 15£. Is it (financially) better for me to :
    a) send it to addresspal and pay 4.5£ (shipping to addresspal) + 6.5e (fee) + 3.5e (fee) + VAT
    b) send it directly here to ireland for 14.75£ +VAT :D Would I need to pay (if sent directly) those 3.5e or 10e + VAT or something else?

In Revenue guide, they're mentioning An Post's fee of 10€ in which case option a) sounds better :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Fwarder wrote: »
    Lads, quick question: I bought something that is 15£. Is it (financially) better for me to :
    a) send it to addresspal and pay 4.5£ (shipping to addresspal) + 6.5e (fee) + 3.5e (fee) + VAT
    b) send it directly here to ireland for 14.75£ +VAT :D Would I need to pay (if sent directly) those 3.5e or 10e + VAT or something else?

In Revenue guide, they're mentioning An Post's fee of 10€ in which case option a) sounds better :D

You should be able to figure it yourself here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058146415

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

If I buy something from Amazon for £24.99 which includes import fees of £5.25, bringing the total to £30.24, is this all I pay?

The import fees covers any fees An Post or Revenue may want? I won't get hit with an unexpected bill after?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Moyglish wrote: »
    If I buy something from Amazon for £24.99 which includes import fees of £5.25, bringing the total to £30.24, is this all I pay?

The import fees covers any fees An Post or Revenue may want? I won't get hit with an unexpected bill after?

See previous post to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Apologies, I've tried to find this out myself but can't figure out.

I want to place a €165 order for beer from a UK based brewer - Brewdog. They ship their orders to Ireland via DPD.

Seeing as they are based in UK and their product is manufactured in UK, am I correct in saying that the order will not be subject to import / customs duty?

See the post literally before yours regarding VAT/Duty. Then you will need to go on to revenue website to see what the excise rates are for beer.

• Advertisement

Revenue

This is the important one

Duty, VAT and excise payable on alcohol. I would think it depends on the origins of the beer. If its not UK origins, it may be liable to all 3 charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Apologies, I've tried to find this out myself but can't figure out.

I want to place a €165 order for beer from a UK based brewer - Brewdog. They ship their orders to Ireland via DPD.

Seeing as they are based in UK and their product is manufactured in UK, am I correct in saying that the order will not be subject to import / customs duty?

Assuming 5% strength - the excise duty will be €1.12 per litre.
    Might still work out cheaper than buying it here if the delivery is cheap or free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

As a resident of Northern Ireland will I be charged VAT/Duty on a purchase from the UK? What I'm reading is a bit of a minefield but I think according to the below link it's business as usual if I am an individual? :confused:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sending-parcels-between-great-britain-and-northern-ireland-from-1-january-2021

Ogham wrote: »
    Assuming 5% strength - the excise duty will be €1.12 per litre.
    Might still work out cheaper than buying it here if the delivery is cheap or free.

Some of the beer is a bit higher than 5%, and there's a bottle of rum in there too.

It's all a bit overwhelming to be honest. Haven't a clue how to even get an idea of the cost of things.

Was looking to stock up on drink for a while. So, even at €1.12 per litre, it could be a costly purchase :(:(

For individuals it says there is no change until 31st March.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Some of the beer is a bit higher than 5%, and there's a bottle of rum in there too.

It's all a bit overwhelming to be honest. Haven't a clue how to even get an idea of the cost of things.

Was looking to stock up on drink for a while. So, even at €1.12 per litre, it could be a costly purchase :(:(

You can see why the cost of alcohol is so expensive here.

You can see why the cost of alcohol is so expensive here.

Unfortunately, yeah. Annoying thing is, there's no other way to get this stuff in Ireland. Argh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭Fran has a bone

Looking for advice. I had a delivery today of supplements valued at €134 from iHerb (USA).

I have used them many times in recent years and make sure not to to exceed €150 limit for import/customs tax.

I had to pay €42 customs today on top of the sale price or DHL wouldn't deliver. Can anyone explain why or was this incorrect tax?

It's alot of money in comparison to sale price. Is this a new rule or why did it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,278 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Looking for advice. I had a delivery today of supplements valued at €134 from iHerb (USA).

I have used them many times in recent years and make sure not to to exceed €150 limit for import/customs tax.

I had to pay €42 customs today on top of the sale price or DHL wouldn't deliver. Can anyone explain why or was this incorrect tax?

It's alot of money in comparison to sale price. Is this a new rule or why did it happen?

go an read the first post in the thread. your assumption about the 150 is incorrect though. That is the limit for duty. the limit for VAT is much lower so with that and the customs clearance fees that DHL charge the €43 is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Handy calculator here (adjust to 21% for current VAT rate)

https://www.calculatevat.net/
    Add DHL handling charge -

DHL Express - €14.50 or 2.5% of the Taxes and Duties whichever is higher.

• Advertisement

go an read the first post in the thread. your assumption about the 150 is incorrect though. That is the limit for duty. the limit for VAT is much lower so with that and the customs clearance fees that DHL charge the €43 is about right.

But why was the VAT never charged on many identical purchases previously ? Surely it's either due or it isn't everytime, was it just stopped at random?

Suckit wrote: »
    Handy calculator here (adjust to 21% for current VAT rate)
    Thanks yeah it seems to add up on VAT including DHL handling to around 42 but I don't understand why VAT wasn't charged on dozens of identical purchases in the past?

But why was the VAT never charged on many identical purchases previously ? Surely it's either due or it isn't everytime, was it just stopped at random?

it has always been random. some are stopped, most are not. pot luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you search this site you will see loads of people have been stung buying on iherb, its a quite popular site.

In the past I think some vitamins had zero vat so would go through, but I think that has changed so its due. I think there are also been mix ups in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Iherb+vat+site%3Aboards.ie

Wasn't VAT introduced on vitamins last year?

now you mention it they did introduce 13.5% VAT on food supplements last year.

rubadub wrote: »
    If you search this site you will see loads of people have been stung buying on iherb, its a quite popular site.

In the past I think some vitamins had zero vat so would go through, but I think that has changed so its due. I think there are also been mix ups in the past.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Iherb+vat+site%3Aboards.ie
    Thanks it seems common judging by the thread but also entirely random

Yes I believe the main impact has been to crush health food and vitamin stores here. Many small independent shops were brought to the brink over that change.

I've purchased a fair bit online since it came in and was never stung for VAT until now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Can I ask for some help please , its for an elderly relative who is unsure.

She buys pure Brittish wool hats, made in England, she buys 1 every few months and total cost is £38 including shipping per item.
    The small business she buys from have said they will not apply VAT to her order .

I assume vat in Ireland will be due upon arrival to Ireland and the handling fee/customs charge from the carrier.

Nothing else she needs to watch out for ?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Can I ask for some help please , its for an elderly relative who is unsure.

She buys pure Brittish wool hats, made in England, she buys 1 every few months and total cost is £38 including shipping per item.
    The small business she buys from have said they will not apply VAT to her order .

I assume vat in Ireland will be due upon arrival to Ireland and the handling fee/customs charge from the carrier.

Nothing else she needs to watch out for ?

Thanks

Nothing - apart from making sure the seller fills in the customs label correctly so that it is not overvalued by customs. Also - the handling fee is higher with DHL and Fedex they seem to have a minimum fee of about €14 but An Post seem to be charging €3.50 flat rate.
    I doubt if the seller will be using couriers for 1 hat.

Advertisement