Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't decide! Garmin 830 or Wahoo Roam

• 16-01-2021 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new computer for road cycling. But can't decide on what to go with.

I have a fenix 5x plus and current sync that with Strava and Garmin Connect.
    Ideally, I would like to be able to load my Wahoo cycles into my Garmin COnnect app but not sure that's possible without having to manually load them in.

€349 for Roam delivered vs €403 for 830

Would love to hear your thoughts.

BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Actually, I might get the 530 as it's the same as the 830 but with buttons. I already have Garmin stuff so it should integrate well enough.

What are your thoughts?

Can get 530 sensor bundle for €359 delivered from Germany. Think this could a Runner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

530 sounds excellent if you don't need the touch screen of the 830.

In depth review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

You can get it for €245 without sensors.

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11915-compteurs-velo/P-811948-garmin_edge_530_gps_computer?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

themighty wrote: »

In depth review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11915-compteurs-velo/P-811948-garmin_edge_530_gps_computer?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

Wow that’s a decent price. I might go with that. I need power and cadence sensors if you know of any deals let me know all the bundles comes with the Garmin HRM that I only purchased 2 months agai!! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know people who've had four garmin's through repeat RMAs, never heard of that with wahoo (accepted, much smaller sample size). Have a BOLT, would buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've a 530 for about 15 months now, probably used it for 15000km, it hasn't missed a beat, great bit of kit.

I went for it over the comparable Wahoo because I wanted to use Connect IQ apps (mainly the Xert ones) in that as well it's been faultless.

€245 is a great price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The Wahoo is easier to read in the daylight compared to the 830 (which I had). Also Wahoo will support Varia radar like the Garmin but will not support ANT+ Lights yet. It is easier to setup than Garmin in my opinion too as you use the app rather then messing with buttons on the device. If you go for the Roam you also get gorilla glass, and a colour screen though it's only the maps that are in colour. There is also a set of horizontal and vertical leds on the Roam which you can program to be used for power, heart rate, speed, varia radar etc.. The Wahoo also uploads directly to Strava, the Gamin does it through the Garmin app on your phone which it synchs with. In practice no real observable difference.

Regarding the 830 it will allow you create routes or courses on the fly with the touchscreen while with the 530 you need to use your phone or pc. The 830 also allows you to enter a street destination while with the 530 you have to put the cross hairs over the street. Finally the 830 also allows you to search for points of interest. Personally I found the screen on the 830 too small for effective map use but that's my eyes. And while the 1030 Plus would be fine, it's just too big for a GPS. All Garmin's support ConnectIQ apps.

If ConnectIQ apps, maps and routing matters I'd go Garmin. And if touch screen matters and the touchscreen on the 830 is very good, then I'd go for the 830.
    However if you prefer ease of use and readability in daylight then the Wahoo all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

FWIW, I recently changed from a Garmin 520 to a Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I much prefer the BOLT for almost everything although the Garmin is better at mapping. Not sure how much better the ROAM is at mapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

crosstownk wrote: »
    FWIW, I recently changed from a Garmin 520 to a Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I much prefer the BOLT for almost everything although the Garmin is better at mapping. Not sure how much better the ROAM is at mapping.

ROAM is up there. The only minus is the cpu is a good bit slower than the 830 and 530 so re-rerouting on the fly takes longer. The ROAM also has better build quality than the previous Wahoo's and is more of a matt finish compared to the Garmin's gloss. Also the screen on the ROAM is glass and not reflective like the Garmins plastic screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭fat bloke

themighty wrote: »

That is a great deal. Where are alltricks based or where do they ship out of? I've never used them, are they reliable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

fat bloke wrote: »
    That is a great deal. Where are alltricks based or where do they ship out of? I've never used them, are they reliable?

Alltricks were a cycling components website that Decathlon bought a 75% share in a couple of years ago. Decathlon use them as a supplier to push out accessories etc to from their main website.

Prime example, they sell a single speed bicycle, but refer you to alltricks for the fixie conversion kit iirc.

Long story short, there should be no issues ordering from the alltricks website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Based on France ship from France. As cletus said no concerns with them. Have bought stuff from them in the past and will continue to do so as they haven’t seem to have been impacted post brexit like German sites or uk sites.

Although saying that I would normally ask local shops first to see what they can do in order to try keepcbisiness local including paying a premium for it if it’s not too much higher. Always ask what’s the worst they can say

Has anyone heard rumors of the Edge 540 in April?

Any links to Speed and Cadance sensor? I don't need the HRM in the performance bundle.

Can get Wahoo Roam and both sensors for €429 delivered.

Decent price also. I use Strava and Garmin Connect for my Fenix 5x plus. Anyone currently using a wahoo for cycling and Garmin for Running how do the activities from Wahoo sync to Connect or do they? Can you sync them from Strava to Connect as in, Sync Wahoo cycle to Strava, and then sync Strava with Connect to show activity in the Connect app?

All prices from Alltricks

Garmin 530 €244
    Garmin 530 Bundle €348

Garmin 830 - NOT Available online
    Garmin 830 Bundle €427

Wahoo Roam €349
    Wahoo Roam + both Sensors €419

I am leaning towards the roam but concerned about my Garmin connect app and will I see it in my training load, i'm thinkning not!! So may need to stick to Garmin

Thanks for all your help in deciding

BobbyT28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Ì have the Garmin 530 and its excellent. Previously, had the 520 but it was slow and glitchy. The Garmin 530 can be bought from Cycle Superstore with Cycling Ireland voucher for €250 but I think it may be out of stock at the moment.

talkabout wrote: »
    Ì have the Garmin 530 and its excellent. Previously, had the 520 but it was slow and glitchy. The Garmin 530 can be bought from Cycle Superstore with Cycling Ireland voucher for €250 but I think it may be out of stock at the moment.

Yeah I just pulled the trigger on the 530. Great price of €244. I just need power sensors and Cadence sensor. Any links to those?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Have used them twice given great prices. Zero issue, although it didn’t arrive fast (does anything these days?). One word of warning: I didn’t ship to Ireland so YMMV!

Always worth checking the latest on shipping and also who bears return costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭ruffmut

I pulled the trigger on the 530 the week before last from all tricks. I ordered on a Tuesday and had it the following Monday delivered by DPD.

I replaced my 520 as the battery had gone to crap on it. I was in two minds on what to get, the 530 or Wahoo bolt. A mate of mine has the bolt and is very happy with it but recently the uploading after a ride has turned into a pain in the arse for some reason. I decided on the 530 in the end as I have a Garmin watch and wanted to keep the one eco-system. Took out the 530 today for the first spin and I am happy with it. A bit different to set up from the 520 but I will quickly get up to speed with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    I know people who've had four garmin's through repeat RMAs, never heard of that with wahoo (accepted, much smaller sample size). Have a BOLT, would buy again.

My Bolt failed, sent a mail to Wahoo, they didn't query it just asked me to send it to their Dublin office and told me they would send out a new one. Dropped them a mail and the manager met me at the door with the new one on the way home from work one day. A similar issue with my Edge500 and they wanted £80stg and to cover register postage to replace it, think it was barely out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have bought plenty from Alltricks, 7days delivery last week. Ordered Friday, delivered the next Friday.

• Advertisement

Check out Deporvillage and bikediscounts.De for the sensors. They're under €60 on both. Not sure what postage is like though.

There's a list of reliable euro shops on a sticky thread, might be worth checking a few of to see if they're cheaper there. Alternatively post in the adverts thread, someone might have one they're looking to offload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plastik wrote: »
    Have bought plenty from Alltricks, 7days delivery last week. Ordered Friday, delivered the next Friday.

Same here. I seem to be using Alltricks more than Chain Reaction these days. Delivery is via Chronopost/DPD and is very reliable and tracakable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

Another thumbs up for all tricks here too. First order was painless as long as you can avoid the urgent/need it now scenario. Also noticed very competitive on price. The way it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭fat bloke

talkabout wrote: »

What voucher is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭secman

What voucher is this?

CI voucher for €20 when you renew your license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not that the CI voucher itself is worth €250 - sorry fat bloke :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have a bolt, but if I was buying now it would be the 530 or 830 over the Roam. Partly because I have a Garmin watch, but also Wahoo are slow to add support for things like Radar, and Lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭John G

Thanks for the suggestions, was looking for a bike computer myself and went for the 530 earlier for e245 based of the feedback, unfortunately the price seems to have gone back to e299 since

John G wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions, was looking for a bike computer myself and went for the 530 earlier for e245 based of the feedback, unfortunately the price seems to have gone back to e299 since

Alltriks has it at €269 at the moment

• Advertisement

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Alltriks has it at €269 at the moment

Shoot it’s €299 now! they had it at €269 at 3pm today when I check. Pity that, was a great deal. May CI voucher and get it in Cyclesuperstore when they have them back in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I had the 520, the buttons worked , but they were tedious. I tried wahoo for a day, it seemed slow , from what I understand, they are slow to update the firmware. I also didn’t like the look of it- it looks clumsy. I wanted the mapping options, so went with the 830, I thought I’d hate the touchscreen, boy was I wrong. The touchscreen makes everything easy to set up, the new processor is extremely fast. The screen and mapping is easy to read (although I do need to wear my glasses) it’s easy to set up profiles and screens, it uploads very fast , turn by turn navigation is excellent. I really cannot fault it, they have upped their game, they have also made it so it can take more upgrades down the line, plus I have lots of apps on it. 830 all the way, €20 voucher and 12.5% off at cycle superstore with your Ci licence- I paid about 330, they have €15 off fir being a loyalty customer or something.

I had the 520, the buttons worked , but they were tedious. I tried wahoo for a day, it seemed slow , from what I understand, they are slow to update the firmware. I also didn’t like the look of it- it looks clumsy. I wanted the mapping options, so went with the 830, I thought I’d hate the touchscreen, boy was I wrong. The touchscreen makes everything easy to set up, the new processor is extremely fast. The screen and mapping is easy to read (although I do need to wear my glasses) it’s easy to set up profiles and screens, it uploads very fast , turn by turn navigation is excellent. I really cannot fault it, they have upped their game, they have also made it so it can take more upgrades down the line, plus I have lots of apps on it. 830 all the way, €20 voucher and 12.5% off at cycle superstore with your Ci licence- I paid about 330, they have €15 off fir being a loyalty customer or something.

Yeah looking forward to seeing what the 530 is like, only difference is like you said the touchscreen on the 830 so good to hear the positives regarding speed & navigation. Enjoy the new toy 😀

BobbyT28

I had the 520, the buttons worked , but they were tedious. I tried wahoo for a day, it seemed slow , from what I understand, they are slow to update the firmware.

Wahoo is definitely slower on display of numbers compared to the Garmins, a slight but noticeable difference but the Garmins are more prone to crashing anecdoetally. No difference in the numbers on upload as far as I can tell, just on display at the time.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Wahoo is definitely slower on display of numbers compared to the Garmins, a slight but noticeable difference but the Garmins are more prone to crashing anecdoetally. No difference in the numbers on upload as far as I can tell, just on display at the time.
    Not going to defend Garmin, but in fairness, they've far more devices out there. Wahoo definitely in the minority, even compared to the 530, never mind the whole Garmin range.

There's nothing wrong with my Bolt, but there's enough irritations with it (turn by turn only in certain software/ calorie burned without a power meter the two main ones) that keeps making me wanting to justify a change.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with my Bolt, but there's enough irritations with it (turn by turn only in certain software/ calorie burned without a power meter the two main ones) that keeps making me wanting to justify a change.

As a matter of interest, comparing the Bolt to the 520 or 530, is turn by turn not file specific unless you auto reroute? It been awhile but I used to remember the Wahoo flashing lights to the left or right if that's where I was going but I don't pay enough attention so could be wrong. Not sure what the issue with the calorie burned thing is, is that not what loads of them do, take your height, weight and give a guesstimate?

I'll be honest, I like that Wahoo, despite being slow to integrate stuff, has a load of cool side projects such as I can display my blood sugars on the screen as a data field when I upgrade my CGM next year. I am in no way tied to it, I've just had better experiences with Wahoo than Garmin from a customer point of view but I don't actually think its better, it just suits my needs. I would go for a Polar or Suunto in the morning if they looked cool and done what I wanted.

The slowness would be annoying if you are really anal about timing on training spins but I'm not but I could see a lot of my clubmates not tolerating it, I would be more annoyed with it crashing than it's display update speed.

Most importantly, the Wahoo looks way cooler than the Garmin, and I'll die on that hill.

• Advertisement

It could be user error, but turn by turn only works for me with RidewithGPS or Kamoot. Strava doesn't give turn by turn. Importing into Ridewithgps, and then syncing on doesn't give turn by turn. I've even had issues using other peoples RidewithGPS routes. To be guaranteed, I have to create them myself. 530 and 830 (and Roam in fairness) have the mapping on the device, so as I understand, it doesn't matter.

I accept the calorie burn thing is a personal thing (a consequence of tracking), but Wahoo continues to way over estimate compared to my Garmin watch, despite the same weight, height and heart rate zones. Before they finally just went with kj = calories when using a power meter, it could be over 1000 difference between kj and calories on my Saturday spin. People working to a weekly deficit, which I was, that's a serious dent. It took a few weeks of not seeing expected results for me to cop the difference. My Garmin watch has always been pretty similar to kj, but I trust the Garmin calculation after using the figures (across a few watches) as part of a weight loss strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,826 ✭✭✭✭dahat

[QUOTE=Macy0161;115994928
    I accept the calorie burn thing is a personal thing (a consequence of tracking), but Wahoo continues to way over estimate compared to my Garmin watch, despite the same weight, height and heart rate zones. Before they finally just went with kj = calories when using a power meter, it could be over 1000 difference between kj and calories on my Saturday spin. People working to a weekly deficit, which I was, that's a serious dent. It took a few weeks of not seeing expected results for me to cop the difference. My Garmin watch has always been pretty similar to kj, but I trust the Garmin calculation after using the figures (across a few watches) as part of a weight loss strategy.[/QUOTE]

Last weekends road spins for have 2000 kcal & 2500kj approx. for each, same power meter & Wahoo headunit.

In terms of a deficit for weight loss which figure is more applicable? It's a huge forrence & i'm using kcl on MFP.

dahat wrote: »
    Last weekends road spins for have 2000 kcal & 2500kj approx. for each, same power meter & Wahoo headunit.

In terms of a deficit for weight loss which figure is more applicable? It's a huge forrence & i'm using kcl on MFP.
    I thought one of the updates the wahoo defaulted to calories = kj? My bolt does anyway. I use kj when I have a power meter (it's what I use from the turbo too), but part of me always wants to take a lower number!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

I thought one of the updates the wahoo defaulted to calories = kj? My bolt does anyway. I use kj when I have a power meter (it's what I use from the turbo too), but part of me always wants to take a lower number!

If you are in a weight loss mode probably always a better idea to go with the lower number.
    Fitness trackers and calorie burn are always going to be pure estimates and will never be accurate. But as long as they are consistently inaccurate they can give you a good metric for how much you are burning.

I have a spreadsheet that I use where I put in my MFP calories eaten every day, and weight every morning. Overtime as your weight changes it will give you a pretty accurate TDEE. I added in a column for what my apple watch was saying I burnt. If I had a lazy day it was pretty accurate but as you exercise more it rewards you a bit too much. It was roughly 15-20% high.

But at the end of the day I only used it as a metric for showing a consistent level of effort. I already knew from tracking calories and weight that my TDEE was approx 2700cal. So if I ate 2000-2200 average per day I should be in a good place to drop half a kg a week.

I liked the tracking and data aspect of it, but it does not lead to the healthiest relationship with food!

Thanks, but I've fairly good handle on it at this stage having gone from 120kg+ to 70kg-ish! But that was pretty much the method I used, and what I somewhat use in maintenance. Only I only updated TDEE weekly.

Having done it for so long is why I trust the Garmin calories, and not the Wahoo. But I'd still say kj = calorie is better than anything heart rate based, when you have a power meter*. There's efficiency rabbit holes you could go down, but it's as good as you're going to get, for cycling at least.

*a proper power meter or smart turbo, there's no way some of the spin bike "watts" are close to accurate in my experience.

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I've fairly good handle on it at this stage having gone from 120kg+ to 70kg-ish! But that was pretty much the method I used, and what I somewhat use in maintenance. Only I only updated TDEE weekly.

Having done it for so long is why I trust the Garmin calories, and not the Wahoo. But I'd still say kj = calorie is better than anything heart rate based, when you have a power meter*. There's efficiency rabbit holes you could go down, but it's as good as you're going to get, for cycling at least.

*a proper power meter or smart turbo, there's no way some of the spin bike "watts" are close to accurate in my experience.

Wow great weight loss congrats, are you just riding and in a calorie deficit or are also doing other stuff? How long did it take you to lose?

I’m 40 in July and want to lose 20lbs before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

moved from Garmin 820 to Wahoo bolt and cant fault the wahoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

That is an unreal result. Congrats.

Way off topic, but... it popped up yesterday that I've been 8 years on My Fitness Pal, although I've been in maintenance in and around 70kg 2 years. NEAT way down with Covid/ WFH, so took a while to rebalance. I still track - as was mentioned, I'm not sure it's entirely healthy relationship for food, but works for me. It doesn't stop me eating out/ takeaways or influence choices in those rare circumstances. It never did. I always kept at least one beer and crisps night per week.

I did it in stages - drop to a target, and then a few months maintenance and then go again for another realistic target.

I'm really anti any extreme diets (particularly as so few have any scientific backing, never mind proper peer reviewed backing) - I did them on and off for years, but if you don't like it or it's too extreme I didn't stick to it. It is calories in v calories out for weight loss, because, Science. So tracking and sustainable changes to my diet rather than be on a diet, worked for me. But it's very individual what method of calorie deficit works - I could never do IF as I get hangry.

I have never excluded foods or food groups, including carbs/ bread/ chocolate/ beer/ crisps etc. I just exercise some portion control. Except for beer. At the start it was pretty much just portion control - weighing portions was certainly where reality bites into "my diet isn't bad".

Trying to order the garmin 530 from alltricks but getting a can’t be delivered to your address (ROI) due to restrictions. Anyone have any insight (I did a search on here but can’t find any info), is this across the board from alltricks?

Assuming I can’t get it from alltricks any other recommended stores? Argos have it for €270 but not in stock anywhere

Update, figured it out, had my postcode at 0000, once I updated to actual postcode it went through. For those interested paid €249 for the 530 (which includes Irish vat which I am happy to be paying :))

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Update, figured it out, had my postcode at 0000, once I updated to actual postcode it went through. For those interested paid €249 for the 530 (which includes Irish vat which I am happy to be paying :))

That is good to know, I was having similar trouble during the week. Got p***ed off and used a different site:D.

Advertisement