Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't decide! Garmin 830 or Wahoo Roam

• 16-01-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Looking for a new computer for road cycling. But can't decide on what to go with.

I have a fenix 5x plus and current sync that with Strava and Garmin Connect.
    Ideally, I would like to be able to load my Wahoo cycles into my Garmin COnnect app but not sure that's possible without having to manually load them in.

€349 for Roam delivered vs €403 for 830

Would love to hear your thoughts.

BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Actually, I might get the 530 as it's the same as the 830 but with buttons. I already have Garmin stuff so it should integrate well enough.

What are your thoughts?

Can get 530 sensor bundle for €359 delivered from Germany. Think this could a Runner?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

530 sounds excellent if you don't need the touch screen of the 830.

In depth review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

You can get it for €245 without sensors.

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11915-compteurs-velo/P-811948-garmin_edge_530_gps_computer?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

themighty wrote: »

In depth review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-edge-530-cycling-gps-in-depth-review.html

https://www.alltricks.com/F-11915-compteurs-velo/P-811948-garmin_edge_530_gps_computer?bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

Wow that’s a decent price. I might go with that. I need power and cadence sensors if you know of any deals let me know all the bundles comes with the Garmin HRM that I only purchased 2 months agai!! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know people who've had four garmin's through repeat RMAs, never heard of that with wahoo (accepted, much smaller sample size). Have a BOLT, would buy again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

I've a 530 for about 15 months now, probably used it for 15000km, it hasn't missed a beat, great bit of kit.

I went for it over the comparable Wahoo because I wanted to use Connect IQ apps (mainly the Xert ones) in that as well it's been faultless.

€245 is a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

The Wahoo is easier to read in the daylight compared to the 830 (which I had). Also Wahoo will support Varia radar like the Garmin but will not support ANT+ Lights yet. It is easier to setup than Garmin in my opinion too as you use the app rather then messing with buttons on the device. If you go for the Roam you also get gorilla glass, and a colour screen though it's only the maps that are in colour. There is also a set of horizontal and vertical leds on the Roam which you can program to be used for power, heart rate, speed, varia radar etc.. The Wahoo also uploads directly to Strava, the Gamin does it through the Garmin app on your phone which it synchs with. In practice no real observable difference.

Regarding the 830 it will allow you create routes or courses on the fly with the touchscreen while with the 530 you need to use your phone or pc. The 830 also allows you to enter a street destination while with the 530 you have to put the cross hairs over the street. Finally the 830 also allows you to search for points of interest. Personally I found the screen on the 830 too small for effective map use but that's my eyes. And while the 1030 Plus would be fine, it's just too big for a GPS. All Garmin's support ConnectIQ apps.

If ConnectIQ apps, maps and routing matters I'd go Garmin. And if touch screen matters and the touchscreen on the 830 is very good, then I'd go for the 830.
    However if you prefer ease of use and readability in daylight then the Wahoo all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

FWIW, I recently changed from a Garmin 520 to a Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I much prefer the BOLT for almost everything although the Garmin is better at mapping. Not sure how much better the ROAM is at mapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

crosstownk wrote: »
    FWIW, I recently changed from a Garmin 520 to a Wahoo ELEMNT BOLT. I much prefer the BOLT for almost everything although the Garmin is better at mapping. Not sure how much better the ROAM is at mapping.

ROAM is up there. The only minus is the cpu is a good bit slower than the 830 and 530 so re-rerouting on the fly takes longer. The ROAM also has better build quality than the previous Wahoo's and is more of a matt finish compared to the Garmin's gloss. Also the screen on the ROAM is glass and not reflective like the Garmins plastic screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

themighty wrote: »

That is a great deal. Where are alltricks based or where do they ship out of? I've never used them, are they reliable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

fat bloke wrote: »
    That is a great deal. Where are alltricks based or where do they ship out of? I've never used them, are they reliable?

Alltricks were a cycling components website that Decathlon bought a 75% share in a couple of years ago. Decathlon use them as a supplier to push out accessories etc to from their main website.

Prime example, they sell a single speed bicycle, but refer you to alltricks for the fixie conversion kit iirc.

Long story short, there should be no issues ordering from the alltricks website

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Based on France ship from France. As cletus said no concerns with them. Have bought stuff from them in the past and will continue to do so as they haven’t seem to have been impacted post brexit like German sites or uk sites.

Although saying that I would normally ask local shops first to see what they can do in order to try keepcbisiness local including paying a premium for it if it’s not too much higher. Always ask what’s the worst they can say

Has anyone heard rumors of the Edge 540 in April?

Any links to Speed and Cadance sensor? I don't need the HRM in the performance bundle.

Can get Wahoo Roam and both sensors for €429 delivered.

Decent price also. I use Strava and Garmin Connect for my Fenix 5x plus. Anyone currently using a wahoo for cycling and Garmin for Running how do the activities from Wahoo sync to Connect or do they? Can you sync them from Strava to Connect as in, Sync Wahoo cycle to Strava, and then sync Strava with Connect to show activity in the Connect app?

All prices from Alltricks

Garmin 530 €244
    Garmin 530 Bundle €348

Garmin 830 - NOT Available online
    Garmin 830 Bundle €427

Wahoo Roam €349
    Wahoo Roam + both Sensors €419

I am leaning towards the roam but concerned about my Garmin connect app and will I see it in my training load, i'm thinkning not!! So may need to stick to Garmin

Thanks for all your help in deciding

BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Ì have the Garmin 530 and its excellent. Previously, had the 520 but it was slow and glitchy. The Garmin 530 can be bought from Cycle Superstore with Cycling Ireland voucher for €250 but I think it may be out of stock at the moment.

talkabout wrote: »
    Ì have the Garmin 530 and its excellent. Previously, had the 520 but it was slow and glitchy. The Garmin 530 can be bought from Cycle Superstore with Cycling Ireland voucher for €250 but I think it may be out of stock at the moment.

Yeah I just pulled the trigger on the 530. Great price of €244. I just need power sensors and Cadence sensor. Any links to those?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DavisBXL

Have used them twice given great prices. Zero issue, although it didn’t arrive fast (does anything these days?). One word of warning: I didn’t ship to Ireland so YMMV!

Always worth checking the latest on shipping and also who bears return costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ruffmut

I pulled the trigger on the 530 the week before last from all tricks. I ordered on a Tuesday and had it the following Monday delivered by DPD.

I replaced my 520 as the battery had gone to crap on it. I was in two minds on what to get, the 530 or Wahoo bolt. A mate of mine has the bolt and is very happy with it but recently the uploading after a ride has turned into a pain in the arse for some reason. I decided on the 530 in the end as I have a Garmin watch and wanted to keep the one eco-system. Took out the 530 today for the first spin and I am happy with it. A bit different to set up from the 520 but I will quickly get up to speed with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ED E wrote: »
    I know people who've had four garmin's through repeat RMAs, never heard of that with wahoo (accepted, much smaller sample size). Have a BOLT, would buy again.

My Bolt failed, sent a mail to Wahoo, they didn't query it just asked me to send it to their Dublin office and told me they would send out a new one. Dropped them a mail and the manager met me at the door with the new one on the way home from work one day. A similar issue with my Edge500 and they wanted £80stg and to cover register postage to replace it, think it was barely out of warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

Have bought plenty from Alltricks, 7days delivery last week. Ordered Friday, delivered the next Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭themighty

Check out Deporvillage and bikediscounts.De for the sensors. They're under €60 on both. Not sure what postage is like though.

There's a list of reliable euro shops on a sticky thread, might be worth checking a few of to see if they're cheaper there. Alternatively post in the adverts thread, someone might have one they're looking to offload.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Plastik wrote: »
    Have bought plenty from Alltricks, 7days delivery last week. Ordered Friday, delivered the next Friday.

Same here. I seem to be using Alltricks more than Chain Reaction these days. Delivery is via Chronopost/DPD and is very reliable and tracakable.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

Another thumbs up for all tricks here too. First order was painless as long as you can avoid the urgent/need it now scenario. Also noticed very competitive on price. The way it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

talkabout wrote: »

What voucher is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

What voucher is this?

CI voucher for €20 when you renew your license

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Not that the CI voucher itself is worth €250 - sorry fat bloke :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have a bolt, but if I was buying now it would be the 530 or 830 over the Roam. Partly because I have a Garmin watch, but also Wahoo are slow to add support for things like Radar, and Lights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭John G

Thanks for the suggestions, was looking for a bike computer myself and went for the 530 earlier for e245 based of the feedback, unfortunately the price seems to have gone back to e299 since

John G wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions, was looking for a bike computer myself and went for the 530 earlier for e245 based of the feedback, unfortunately the price seems to have gone back to e299 since

Alltriks has it at €269 at the moment

• Advertisement

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Alltriks has it at €269 at the moment

Shoot it’s €299 now! they had it at €269 at 3pm today when I check. Pity that, was a great deal. May CI voucher and get it in Cyclesuperstore when they have them back in stock

Advertisement