Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland is a pretend football country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Daragh1980 wrote: »
    The LOI loses credibility when the clubs play in European competitions and end up moving their home games to the Aviva. I don’t see clubs in other countries (of similar size) doing this.

Or worse still, your rival’s place I heard George Hamilton proclaim Tallaght stadium as “the jewel in the crown of the league of Ireland”. Not sure if serious

Well it is, there’s not another ground compares at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They just tend to be better specimens on the whole than we are.

Well they are in so far that they invest time and money into sport at all levels as they recognize the benefits to both participants and their country.... this cesspit is lightyears behind...

What’s the biggest capital sports investment in this country over the last 20 years that utilized public money... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Portugals population double ours

Denmarks population is indeed similiar

neither of those countries have the GAA hoovering up most of the talent

we should only really compare to populations with circa two million people like Wales , Soccer isnt the national sport here

Denmark population is 5.8 million. The republic’s is 4.9 million.

The republic has pretty much first choice on Catholics in Northern Ireland and second choice on English lads with Irish grandparents so 4.9 million is actually a far lower figure than what it really is.

In terms of uefa club coefficient here is Ireland with the countries around them

Luxembourg

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Republic of Ireland

North Macedonia

Armenia

We are small timers and small time. Which is fine if we accept that but then accept that and let’s not carry on that the Irish football scene is anything other than a bunch of small timers.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Or worse still, your rival’s place I heard George Hamilton proclaim Tallaght stadium as “the jewel in the crown of the league of Ireland”. Not sure if serious

Well it is the best ground by far. It’s just a fairly crap “crown”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The republic has pretty much first choice on Catholics in Northern Ireland and second choice on English lads with Irish grandparents so 4.9 million is actually a far lower figure than what it really is.

In terms of uefa club coefficient here is Ireland with the countries around them

Luxembourg

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Republic of Ireland

North Macedonia

Armenia

We are small timers and small time. Which is fine if we accept that but then accept that and let’s not carry on that the Irish football scene is anything other than a bunch of small timers.

surely the " granny rule " also applies to other nations , do no Danes live abroad ?

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    surely the " granny rule " also applies to other nations , do no Danes live abroad ?

I don’t know of any who qualified for denmark on the granny rule, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Well it is the best ground by far. It’s just a fairly crap “crown”

That’s what I mean he made it sound all grandiose. May have been taking the proverbial, I dunno but even the tallaght stadium was only cobbled together over time. They couldn’t even source matching seats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

We are certainly more of a football country than a rugby country thats for sure.

If you were to look at our media, you would think 1 in 5 people played rugby rather than the 10 schools or whatever where it is popular.

Im from Donegal which i would defninitely consider a football county, it was the only sport that mattered in my area growing up.

If more money was invested in the LOI and developing academies and making it a more attractive product, it would help grow the game. The new Brexit rules banning Irish players from growing over to england when young is a huge opportunity also.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ireland isn’t a pretend football country. It’s not a football country at all.

We have 3 massive competing organisations: soccer, GAA and Rugby. I don’t think any other country our size has that level of diversity at all.

I live in the Netherlands, my lads club has 4 teams at each age group from u8 to u14. Thats unheard of in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    We have 3 massive competing organisations: soccer, GAA and Rugby. I don’t think any other country our size has that level of diversity at all.

Croatia for one and there would be plenty of others has a much greater level of diversity in sports

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I'm not sure how you could expect anything else. We are an island of 5 million, located right beside one of the biggest football countries in the world, :D

New Zealand with a population of 5 million have Eden Park with seating for 50,000. They actually have backs on the chairs so people can sit comfortably.

Sob, poor old Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Cricket added to the list now in recent years.

On the one hand it's good to have diversity.

On the other they take talent from each other which means none will ever reach full potential.

Look at New Zealand and rugby. Everyone marvels at how great they are - that's pretty damn easy when it's easily the main sport there. None other comes close.

Here we don't have a main sport really. They are all on similar level eating each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Bob Marley, Mohammed Ali, Pele, Zidane all played in Dalymount.

Bit of useless information for a Sunday night.

Croatia for one and there would be plenty of others has a much greater level of diversity in sports

Not really. We have all of those sports here as well. We have athletics, swimming, sailing, tennis, boxing etc etc too.

The Croat FA dwarves the next biggest association. The FAI doesn’t.

they/them/theirs

Cricket added to the list now in recent years.

On the one hand it's good to have diversity.

On the other they take talent from each other which means none will ever reach full potential.

Look at New Zealand and rugby. Everyone marvels at how great they are - that's pretty damn easy when it's easily the main sport there. None other comes close.

Here we don't have a main sport really. They are all on similar level eating each other.

And what harm? We have great sport to watch all year round.

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

I'm not sure how you could expect anything else. We are an island of 5 million, located right beside one of the biggest football countries in the world, where all of our top talent, not to mention all our journeymen can travel to, to make a very decent living. We are also a top tier rugby nation and we have our own national sports which command huge participation, funding and interest from the public.

The Charlton/McCarthy years were a stroke of luck. A golden generation of footballers from this island and Britain which came about because of societal circumstances aka "poverty = good players"
    If we want to repeat that success from now on, the FAI is going to have to get positively Germanic in its organizational and long tern planning abilities.

Yeah. :D

Top tier rugby nation :D There are about what 20 countries in the world playing rugby and we've never even reached a world cup final. We are top tier at patting ourselves on the back.

Look at New Zealand and rugby. Everyone marvels at how great they are - that's pretty damn easy when it's easily the main sport there.

Ireland have won 31 Olympic medals in their history, NZ have won 117.

A terrible example. NZ are the best at rugby and great at a whole gamut of other sports and far more diverse sports than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Luxembourg

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Republic of Ireland

North Macedonia

Armenia

National team rankings.

Ireland 42
    NI 45
    Bosnia 55
    N Macedonia 65
    Luxembourg 98
    Armenia 99

Our clubs do not have first choice on Catholics from the North.

Not really. We have all of those sports here as well. We have athletics, swimming, sailing, tennis, boxing etc etc too.

The Croat FA dwarves the next biggest association. The FAI doesn’t.

We have winter sports do we? We have an Olympic handball team? We have basketball and volleyball and go to the world cups in them? We have tennis players in grand slams do we?

• Advertisement

Ireland have won 31 Olympic medals in their history, NZ have won 117.

A terrible example. NZ are the best at rugby and great at a whole gamut of other sports and far more diverse sports than Ireland.

It’s the GAA. Until we get hurling into the Olympics we’re at a severe disadvantage

they/them/theirs

National team rankings.

Ireland 42
    NI 45
    Bosnia 55
    N Macedonia 65
    Luxembourg 98
    Armenia 99

Our clubs do not have first choice on Catholics from the North.

Uefa club coefficient rankings

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bob Marley, Mohammed Ali, Pele, Zidane all played in Dalymount.

Bit of useless information for a Sunday night.

?width=630&version=3431140

We have winter sports do we? We have an Olympic handball team? We have basketball and volleyball and go to the world cups in them? We have tennis players in grand slams do we?

Calm yourself there.

So what’s your explanation to why we’re ****e at everything? Mine is GAA and Rugby taking so many athletes.

they/them/theirs

Uefa club coefficient rankings

Which you linked to our national team having players from the North and England wanting to play for us. You are mixing up two different things.

Which you linked to our national team having players from the North and England wanting to play for us. You are mixing up two different things.

I’m saying Irish football is small time and our fans and media lie to themselves about what we should be achieving

The north and England thing was a point about populations being comparable to Denmark which was clear enough I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bring back Pat Grace's famous fried chicken League

Calm yourself there.

So what’s your explanation to why we’re ****e at everything? Mine is GAA and Rugby taking so many athletes.

Under investment from the public sector as illustrated in post 1.

GAA is a big part of it aswell I accept but there are other factors such as Irish people paying money to England to participate as English football club fans.

Under investment from the public sector as illustrated in post 1.

GAA is a big part of it aswell I accept but there are other factors such as Irish people paying football to England to participate as English football club fans.

Underinvestment? Why invest in it at all? It’s a p professional sport that should invest in itself to be honest. Same with the IRFU.

Money should only go to grassroots football.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I’m saying Irish football is small time and our fans and media lie to themselves about what we should be achieving

The north and England thing was a point about populations being comparable to Denmark which was clear enough I would have thought.

And our national team has used those resources to good effect since 1988. You tried to associate them with our club co-efficient, which is a totally wrong comparison.

Advertisement