Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Yes, not screened live but I vividly remember Ceasceu and his wife's execution by firing squad being shown on the news.
    I think they just showed the aftermath- the bodies, but the execution wasn't shown. There was no planning, all very spur of the moment I don't think they even made it out of the palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,703 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

fryup wrote: »
    oh how i wish there was an irish version of that show :p it'd be great craic

Yea, runs to this day in USA, Even in lockdown . full episodes on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yea, runs to this day in USA, Even in lockdown . full episodes on youtube.

I very vaguely remember the UK version in the 80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

BrianD3 wrote: »
    At about 1 minute in, Geoff Hurst says the N word

The fact that it is used here in a well known idiom would make it slightly less offensive but still. However I don't recall any fuss made about this at the time.

Clinton

Sorry klinnsman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

Watching the Bradford game on tele with my Da, The whole stand went up in flames

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I think they just showed the aftermath- the bodies, but the execution wasn't shown. There was no planning, all very spur of the moment I don't think they even made it out of the palace.

I remember a split second shot of the firing squad followed by the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

I was watching that and thought at first it was one of the guys from Apre Match or something till he started effing.

Wow, coming across this has just touched a bone. Unfortunately I was a witness to this mans tragic death here in Limerick in 2010. RIP Paul Stokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Not sure if Linda Martin's version of Get Lucky has been mentioned. That was a national tragedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

why can't winning streak be like this???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

The Bee Gees walking off Clive Anderson show cause he joked about band name being tossers or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

GoatBoy74 wrote: »
    The Bee Gees walking off Clive Anderson show cause he joked about band name being tossers or something to that effect.

i remember that, but it wasn't live it was a pre-recorded show

very odd behaviour by them all the same, can't believe they took offence to that off the cuff harmless remark...i reckon something else was said to them that was probably edited out of the final broadcast

David Letterman show beavis and butthead are guests

fryup wrote: »
    i remember that, but it wasn't live it was a pre-recorded show

very odd behaviour by them all the same, can't believe they took offence to that off the cuff harmless remark...i reckon something else was said to them that was probably edited out of the final broadcast
    Le Tosseurs thay were called before Bee Gees. Anderson was calling them 'the tossers' the whole way throughout the interview and you could see them getting madder every time. I think it was Robin Gibb who walked off first and said 'you're the tosser mate'. Unfortunately as happens a lot with walk-offs his mic wire got caught on the seat and he ended up looking a bit daft :o

They should have known that's the kind of interview you get with Anderson, he always takes the piss.

In a similar vein I remember The Osmonds minus Marie were on Johnathan Ross once and he made a remark about wanting to screw her. they are mormons I think, and quite religious, you could see on Donny's face he was really angry. he came very close to walking off I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think the last brother sat there awkwardly and said something along the lines of "I better go too".

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think the last brother sat there awkwardly and said something along the lines of "I better go too".
    Ha! yes. Clive said 'would you like to stay and have a chat?' and he answered 'sorry, I don't do impressions of my brothers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

love jah wobbles rant after jonny walks :) "go on think of one"

Nirvana on TOTP. They were told that there would be a backing track playing and Kurt was to sing over it live, so they decided to give a big screw you to the show instead. Krist didn't have any strings on his bass guitar :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

love jah wobbles rant after jonny walks :) "go on think of one"

JR is an amazing musician

Probably a bit of a twat too

• Advertisement

Newuser2 wrote: »
    JR is an amazing musician

Probably a bit of a twat too

Jonny is a very underrated musician, pil are incredible and always on the go.
    Full time carer for the wife at the minute suffering from dementia.

Noel Edmunds was the ant and dec of my youth and I recall the main event each week was a stunt by a viewer along with trained professionals, but I distinctly remember a death putting a stop to it.

On 13 November 1986, volunteer Michael Lush was killed during his first rehearsal for another live stunt. The stunt, called "Hang 'em High", involved bungee jumping from an exploding box suspended from a 120 ft-high crane. The carabiner clip attaching his bungee rope to the crane sprang loose from its eyebolt during the jump. He died instantly of multiple injuries, and the show was cancelled on 15 November after Edmonds resigned, saying he did not "have the heart to carry on".[12]

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Who were those lunatics on the Late Late show that smashed up Gay’s set?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Piehead wrote: »
    Who were those lunatics on the Late Late show that smashed up Gay’s set?

It came to me Pop Will Eat Itself and then after the performance a deadpan and unimpressed Gay goes “Pop Will Eat Itself.....quite’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

The IRA funeral in 1988 where two british corporals took a wrong turn and drove into the path of the funeral cortege. I remember seeing them being surrounded , getting out of the car and firing a weapon and that was their last act. Brutal end . I was 11 at the time it was a bit of an eye opener.

Piehead wrote: »
    It came to me Pop Will Eat Itself and then after the performance a deadpan and unimpressed Gay goes “Pop Will Eat Itself.....quite’

“We was mimin anyway “

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Noel Edmunds was the ant and dec of my youth and I recall the main event each week was a stunt by a viewer along with trained professionals, but I distinctly remember a death putting a stop to it.

On 13 November 1986, volunteer Michael Lush was killed during his first rehearsal for another live stunt. The stunt, called "Hang 'em High", involved bungee jumping from an exploding box suspended from a 120 ft-high crane. The carabiner clip attaching his bungee rope to the crane sprang loose from its eyebolt during the jump. He died instantly of multiple injuries, and the show was cancelled on 15 November after Edmonds resigned, saying he did not "have the heart to carry on".[12]
    His House Party was huge in the 90s to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Car99 wrote: »
    The IRA funeral in 1988 where two british corporals took a wrong turn and drove into the path of the funeral cortege. I remember seeing them being surrounded , getting out of the car and firing a weapon and that was their last act. Brutal end . I was 11 at the time it was a bit of an eye opener.

That was the story put out allright, took a wrong turn

razorblunt wrote: »
    His House Party was huge in the 90s to be fair.

That was his comeback I think after the accident

• Advertisement

That was the story put out allright, took a wrong turn

Brutal death all the same

Advertisement